• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT first team

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 3, 2011
First Team______________________________________________
Yes that's a lot of starters, and I like them the most. I don't want to make too many changes, I just want to know what my team would be rated as is. I spent a lot of time getting perfect to near perfect IV and EV values for Charizard and Blastoise, so replacing them is not an option. Yes, that Absol is an original shiny pokemon, one I caught at random in a Swarm in Emerald I believe. I would also not like to replace it. I'm still working on getting Absol and Typhlosion up to perfect IV and EV stats. I try to make sure each pokemon has a variety of moves to counter as many types as possible. Overall, I've been winning about 50/50 in random matchup, which is enough for me. Although it's always japanese people...

Line up________________________________________________
This website has to be retarded and won't let me post any images unless I make 15 posts. I can't even paste in my own images, they don't show up. So sorry, you'll have to do without. The pokemon are Charizard, Dragonite, Blastoise, Absol, Sceptile, Typhlosion

In depth_______________________________________________

Charizard @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Naive (+ speed, - Sp. Def.)
EV: Not sure exactly, but I have Max value in Sp. Atk and Atk. with leftovers in Speed
Stats: A: 264, D: 192, SA: 308, SD: 180, S: 236

- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Flamethrower
- Fly

I breeded with Dragonite to get the Outrage just because Dragons are so strong and would easily beat Charizard otherwise. This is my strongest and weakest link, lowest defense, highest offense.

Dragonite @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Bold (+ def., - Atk.)
EV: Randomly trained, so about even for all.
Stats: A:288, D:264, SA:251, SD:213, S:213

- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Fly
- Flamethrower

Dragonite is good for just about anything except ice and other dragons. As long as it attacks first, Draco Meteor beats most Pokemon in one to two hits, and since Dragonite has few weaknesses its hard to stop in one turn.

Blastoise @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Impish (+ def., - Sp. Atk.)
EV: Maxed in Sp. Def and Def
Stats: A:186, D:259, SA:185, SD:307, S:184

Slow and steady wins the race, and Blastoise is exactly that. It sutvives most attacks and comes back for more. To give it a little more power I added the expert belt. Ice beam helps out occasionally with freezing, and toxic is an unexpected and dangerous move combined with high defense and Sp. Def and dive.

Absol @ Razor Claw
Ability: Super Luck
Nature: Careful (+ Sp. Def., - Sp. Atk.)
EV: 0, I used rare candies before I knew about EV's, so this has to change.
Stats: A:265, D:148, SA:155, SD:145, S:157

- Me First
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Slash

I'll probably max out Absol's EV's in Attack and Speed to make it even more deadly. With Super Luck, Razor Claw, and three Critical moves, it always has a 25% chance of a critical hit, and if I use Me First correctly, any moves intended to wipe it out will be redirected back to the opponent, a deadly combination.

Sceptile @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Quiet (+ Sp. Atk., - Speed)
EV: Also randomly trained, so about even
Stats: A:223, D:171, SA:288, SD:186, S:256

- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Frenzy Plant
- X-Scissor

Another pokemon good for anything other than fire and ice. I added Acrobatcics because of it's odd ability to deal more damage to a target not holding anything, and because its only slightly less powerful than aerial ace, the only other flying move to learn. And Frenzy Plant is powerful and super effective against otherwise tougher rock and ground types.

Typhlosion @ Shell Bell
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Sassy
EV:0 also trained with rare candies for the same reason as Absol
Stats: A:179, D:189, SA:240, SD:194, S:198

- Double-Edge
- Rollout
- Wild Charge
- Eruption

This is my real fireball. Every move other than rollout is powerful. Once I max out the Ev's in attack and Sp. Atk, it will be even stronger. I added wild Charge to take out water pokemon, Rollout for other fire types, and Double Edge for everything else. Shell Bell gives it real stopping power as long as it attacks first by healing recoil damage.

Weak vs. Resist__________________________________
Assuming that Absol and Typhlosion are at maxed EV value, I think the team is pretty well balanced with enough randomness to fool predictions. The main weakness is the two strong but weak fire types, while the rest just depends on who has the better types and speed.

Strategy________________________________________
I don't know or care about more complex strategies to use. I know I can't compete with Japanese players and I don't play often enough to get really good. I'm more interested in Starcraft II right now, it takes real skill and strategy to play rather than just luck and numbers. I'm getting tired of the randomness that occurs in Pokemon battles, losing on the battle subway just because my pokemon 'missed' an attack because of some arbitrary percentage in the computer, or winning because my opponent got frozen by chance and missed two attacks by some virtual roll of the dice. My team is simple and straightforward, attack hard, hold up a wall for defense and hope that the numbers play in your favor.

Please comment and rate this team, thank you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While Outrage is a good attack, Charizard isn't the best user of it because of its average attack. It's also better off as a pure special sweeper:
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power (Electric/Grass)
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252nSAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Dragonite is best off as a bulky Dragon Dancer:
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
-Roost
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/212 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

(just so you know, Bold takes away from its Attack, which is one of Dragonite's selling points)

Don't use Fly on Charizard and Dragonite because a Pokemon who can resist the move can switch in and take the attack the nest turn.

Blastiose is best as Bold. Don't use Dive for the same reason I said for Fly. I gave it Rapid Spin so that Charizard and Dragonite are weak to Stealth Rock:
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Dragon Tail
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Absol isn't good in Gen V, so I figured I'd give you this set:
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Superpower
-Night Slash/Psycho Cut
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Super Luck

Quiet is a terrible nature on Sceptile; it takes away from its good Speed. I'd use this:
-Leaf Storm/Energy Ball
-Focus Blast/Earthquake
-Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
-Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast
Nature: Timid/Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Typhlosion isn't very good either, but it's well known for high-powered Eruptions. It's also better off as a Special attacker despite its shallow special movepool:
-Eruption
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Grass/Electric/Ice)
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Also, since I suggested different natures, you might have to do some re-breeding

Years
Hey, drgnkpx, welcome to PC and congrats posting your first RMT.

I always say that the first step in order to understand Competitive Pokemon is to understand what is viable in Standard OU [Overused] Play. By that I mean, certain Pokemon can compete with the other Pokemon found in standard competitive play, while others cannot. The best Pokemon in standard play make up the OU tier, which can be found here, but Pokemon from other tiers are used as well. Charizard can only do well in Overused Play because of its ability Solar Power, but is generally inferior to the Pokemon Volcarona, Blastoise can work as a Bulky Rapd Spinner, but is often nixed in favor of Tentacruel because the latter can lay Toxic Spikes [and absorb them], Sceptile, Absol and Typhlosion are pretty much hardly viable at all, so we'll have to get rid of those as well. Dragonite however, is a real gem in this metagame and its ability Multiscale should allow it to survive any attack, because it halves the damage it will deal, OHKOing Dragonite is one of the hardest things to do, in this metagame. The set Platinumdude gave is pretty much the best one to use, although a Lum Berry might be an option for a held item as well, as Dragonite will be hard pressed to sweep if it gets paralyzed or burned.

Dragonite's main counters are Quagsire, Tangrowth and Hippowdon, so a Pokemon that takes them all out in one fell swoop would be essential for supporting Dragonite. You're in luck because Nasty Plot Celebi does just that! Here is what I usually run on Celebi:

Celebi @ Leftovers/Life Orb
4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
Timid Nature
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Giga Drain
-Recover/Earth Power/Psychic
-Nasty Plot

This is really a great set to use and even scares Blissey if they lack Toxic, because you can put a ton of pressure on them with Giga Drain, as it nearly 2HKO's, so they well be hard pressed to stay in and try to take you down, which is nigh impossible since Giga Drain allows you to recover damage.

Seeing as to how Volcarona outclasses Charizard, I think you could possibly implement that as well and use Ninetales over Absol, to gain Weather Control [Ninetales gets Drought] and power up the fire moves on your other Pokemon.

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
Trait: Flame Body
-Rest
-Bug Buzz
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance/Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Ninetales @ Leftovers
252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
Trait: Drought
-Substitute
-Will O Wisp
-Hidden Power Fighting/Hypnosis
-Flamethrower

A Rapid Spinner is essential as well, as Dragonite and Volcarona will take a ton of damage from Stealth Rock and won't be able to switch in and out.

Try Forretress:

We'll go Physically Defensive, since Dragons and such may give this team some trouble.

Forretress @ Leftovers
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature [Remember to give it 0 Speed IVs to maximize Gyro Ball's Power].
Trait: Sturdy
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball

Finally, Gliscor is great on Sun Teams because it checks a lot of threats that can beat them and also takes less damage from Water Attacks:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
240 HP/248 Def/20 Speed
-Taunt
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect

Well hopefully you like these changes and they work for you, in hindsight, Rotom-W might work better than Ninetales since Gyarados and opposing Gliscor may give you trouble, and this team isn't completely centered on benefitting from sun, but then you have to face the full brunt of opposing weather teams. If you'd rather use Rotom-W than Ninetales, here's a set:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
Trait: Levitate
-Will O Wisp
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
-Pain Split

If you don't know how to breed Pokemon of this caliber, or just aren't up to it, you could probably get them from the kind people at the Trade Corner.

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 3, 2011
Thanks, I just wanted to know. It's to bad that pokemon can't be balanced enough to use any combination of pokemon, but then there would be no point in developing strategies right? It just makes it hard to use your favourite pokemon. I'll definitely replace fly and dive, but it's hard enough to get the IV values without worrying about the natures. I will check out those other abilities Solar Power and Multiscale, because I don't have them. I don't really need Typhlosion since I have charizard, and I can do without Sceptile too, but I will not use legendaries just because the are legendaries and I don't believe that's fair. One fully evolved pokemon should never out class another.

Years
Thanks, I just wanted to know. It's to bad that pokemon can't be balanced enough to use any combination of pokemon, but then there would be no point in developing strategies right? It just makes it hard to use your favourite pokemon. I'll definitely replace fly and dive, but it's hard enough to get the IV values without worrying about the natures. I will check out those other abilities Solar Power and Multiscale, because I don't have them. I don't really need Typhlosion since I have charizard, and I can do without Sceptile too, but I will not use legendaries just because the are legendaries and I don't believe that's fair. One fully evolved pokemon should never out class another.

Well some Pokemon will be hard pressed to be successful in OU, even when used by the best of players and in the best strategies and non-Uber tier legendaries are perfectly fair in standard play, so if someone challenges you to a standard OU battle, then chances are you may fight a legendary. Also, Multiscale and Solar Power are obtainable through the Pokemon Dream World, so you have to get a Dratini/Charmander from there. Haha, I may be bringing all of this down on you too harshly, but I guess we all have to face the fact that our favorites can't always win. At any rate, you could always use Venusaur over Sceptile, if you feel like using a Sunny Day team similar to the one I suggested in the previous rate, since Venusaur's speed is doubled in heavy sunlight and is bulky and powerful enough to sweep.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
Trait: Cholorophyll
-Earthquake/Return
-Seed Bomb
-Hidden Power Fire/Sleep Powder
-Growth

Last edited:

drgnkpx

Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 3, 2011
Well some Pokemon will be hard pressed to be successful in OU, even when used by the best of players and in the best strategies and non-Uber tier legendaries are perfectly fair in standard play, so if someone challenges you to a standard OU battle, then chances are you may fight a legendary. Also, Multiscale and Solar Power are obtainable through the Pokemon Dream World, so you have to get a Dratini/Charmander from there. Haha, I may be bringing all of this down on you too harshly, but I guess we all have to face the fact that our favorites can't always win.

The Dream World is so slow, I can't stand it. At least it looks pretty, and if that's the only way I'll just have to try it.

It's not too harsh, I always knew that would be the case.

Legendaries may be fair, but I won't use them, just a personal issue, I don't care if others do, and they have, that Volcarona tore my team apart.

Thanks.

Years
The Dream World is so slow, I can't stand it. At least it looks pretty, and if that's the only way I'll just have to try it.

Legendaries may be fair, but I won't use them, just a personal issue, I don't care if others do, and they have, that Volcarona tore my team apart.

Thanks.

No problem, Dragonite is still good without MultiScale, though, just use the same set that PD suggested. I guess that's a pretty nobile policy to have, and normal Pokemon can still counter legends, so I guess it's all good. Volcarona isn't a legend, though, so you could still use that over Charizard [which isn't all that great with Blaze], if you're up to it.

Bowie

The one who came back
Years

Thanks.

There's a Dream World Pokemon giveaway thread in the Trade Corner if you'd like to just trade for DW Poke's you'd like/need to save time.

But I know what you mean about all the complications with battling online, lots of my favorite Pokemon don't handle so well and, truth be told, as far as the tournaments go I find a lot of the rules (especially about using stuff like Sleep Powder/ Chance Items) extremely fickle, especially when they view something as godmodded as Quiver Dance to be legit.

I usually just run a set of Gengar/Scizor/Golduck that just seems to win since they cover all of their weaknesses and are balanced but I know that anyone that knows what they're doing would probably have no problem with em.. I guess it's just fun to test the water and try to get better.. since Pokemon probably challenges me harder than any other game to try and succeed on a consistent basis.

Back