Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old September 5th, 2011 (5:47 AM).
Zlayr's Avatar
Zlayr Zlayr is offline
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 29
    After hanging around and looking for good teams and strategies i found a team that i hope is a good team and now i want your opinions on it

    #1
    Forretress (holding leftovers)

    Sturdy ability

    Ev trained in sp def and Hp

    Toxic spikes
    spikes
    rapid spin
    Gyro ball

    #2

    Swampert

    Torrent ability

    Ev trained in hp def and sp def

    Stealth rocks
    ice beam
    earthquake
    roar

    ------------------------------


    #3
    Tyranitar (holding shell bell)

    sand stream ability

    ev trained in sp atk and hp

    Dark pulse
    Fire blast
    superpower
    stone edge

    #4
    eelektross (holding life orb)

    ev trained in atk and sp atk

    Levitate ability

    Thunderbolt
    Dragon claw
    Hidden power ice
    Brick break


    #5
    meganium

    Ev trained in def and sp def

    overgrow ability

    Light screen
    Reflect
    Leech seed
    energy ball

    #6
    snorlax (holding quick claw)

    Ev trained in def and hp

    thick fat ability

    Body slam
    Fire punch
    Earth quake
    Rest


    So first of i will have foretress as my lead with the task to get out some spikes and toxic spikes and too rapid spin away spikes from the oponent

    The big danger for forretress is its 4x weakness too fire and thereore i wanted a good water type pokemon to protect it.
    My pokemon of choise is Swampert because of its ground and water type in case the oponents predicting me to switch into a water pokemon and either attacks with an electric attack or switch out to an electrik pokemon.

    Ev training swampert in def, sp def and hp makes it a good defencive pokemon and its stealth rock combined with spikes, toxic spikes and roar gives me the posibility to switch out the oponents pokemon and dealing great amount of dammage to them.

    Swampert also has earthquake for fire and electrik pokemons as well as ice beam for flying pokemons and dragons

    After that we have tyranitar that i will train to be a mixed sp atk and atk pokemon.
    And because of the ev training in hp it will be a bit of a tank.

    The attack fire blast is meant to take down irritating steel pokemons and there is also dark pulse for ghosts and psychic pokemon as well as super power for huge damage on blisseys and snorlaxs it also has a shell bell to hold because of it only having damaging moves

    The fourth pokemon eelektross is on the team mainly because it has no weaknes thanks to its levitate ability it has a mixed set of attacks making it a phyical attacker as well as a special attacker with attacks boosted by a life orb and evs in atk and sp atk

    now for a so called anoyer, Meganium.
    With both light screen and reflect it can protect itself and other team members from harm combined with leech seed and ev training in def and sp def it can take many hits and also give itself and other pokemons hp

    And then for the last pokemon and my favorite pokemon Snorlax
    Its my nr1 wall of choise with rest ability combined with ev training in hp and defence this pokemon will be a tough one to take down
    It is holding a quick claw because of its low speed

    So how about the team? good or bad?
    __________________
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

    My religion is geekism. I pray to the gods of gaming

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old September 5th, 2011 (8:20 AM). Edited September 5th, 2011 by champagnepapi.
    champagnepapi's Avatar
    champagnepapi champagnepapi is offline
    exile
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: new england
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 1,796
    Meganium isn't all that great in OU as a Screens user, maybe try Bronzong? It accomplishes the same task with better stats and typing, it loses Leech Seed but can still be effective.

    Bronzong @ Light Clay
    252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD [0 speed IVs to power up Gyro Ball]
    Relaxed Nature
    Trait: Levitate
    ~ Reflect
    ~ Light Screen
    ~ Gyro Ball
    ~ Earthquake

    Also, you should give either Pursuit or Crunch to Tyranitar to abuse its high attack stat and deal more damage to Psychic Types.

    Snorlax would act better as a Curse abuser, try this set:

    Snorlax @ Leftovers
    188 HP / 104 Def / 216 SpD
    Careful Nature
    Trait: Thick Fat
    ~ Curse
    ~ Body Slam / Return
    ~ Earthquake / Crunch / Fire Punch
    ~ Rest / Selfdestruct

    And finally, try using Thundurus over Eelektross, as Thundurus is the best Electric type sweeper in OU, after one Nasty Plot, hardly any Pokemon can stop it.

    Thundurus @ Life Orb
    4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    Trait: Prankster
    -Nasty Plot
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Thunderbolt

    Good luck with the team!

    EDIT: I got the Bronzong set from Smogon's 4th Gen Strategy Dex, so it's reccomended you also give it earthquake to beat threats like Excadrill.
    __________________

    paired to kaori & vrai
      #3    
    Old September 5th, 2011 (11:13 AM). Edited September 5th, 2011 by Zlayr.
    Zlayr's Avatar
    Zlayr Zlayr is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2010
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 29
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
      Meganium isn't all that great in OU as a Screens user, maybe try Bronzong? It accomplishes the same task with better stats and typing, it loses Leech Seed but can still be effective.

      Bronzong @ Light Clay
      252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD [0 speed IVs to power up Gyro Ball]
      Relaxed Nature
      Trait: Levitate
      ~ Reflect
      ~ Light Screen
      ~ Gyro Ball / Earthquake
      ~ Explosion

      Also, you should give either Pursuit or Crunch to Tyranitar to abuse its high attack stat and deal more damage to Psychic Types.

      Snorlax would act better as a Curse abuser, try this set:

      Snorlax @ Leftovers
      188 HP / 104 Def / 216 SpD
      Careful Nature
      Trait: Thick Fat
      ~ Curse
      ~ Body Slam / Return
      ~ Earthquake / Crunch / Fire Punch
      ~ Rest / Selfdestruct

      And finally, try using Thundurus over Eelektross, as Thundurus is the best Electric type sweeper in OU, after one Nasty Plot, hardly any Pokemon can stop it.

      Thundurus @ Life Orb
      4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
      Timid Nature
      Trait: Prankster
      -Nasty Plot
      -Focus Blast
      -Hidden Power Ice
      -Thunderbolt

      Good luck with the team!
      Crunch on tyranitar sounds like a good idea but keep in mind that after ev training it in special attack its special attack will be greater than its attack.

      I have heard of the curse version of snorlax your talking about but its supposed to be outdated and i liked this version of it better (found them both on the same site) and i will have no legendaries on the team (more fun that way) so no thundurus for me
      but bronzong does sound as a werry interesting pokemon to add to the team the only negitve thing is that if it loses its levitate it is weak to ground attacks and the same goes for eelektross meaning that with tyranitar its 3 pokemon weak to ground.... but i guess theres a pretty small risk that will happend so bronzong will probably be on the team
      __________________
      75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

      My religion is geekism. I pray to the gods of gaming
        #4    
      Old September 5th, 2011 (4:47 PM).
      Folly~ Folly~ is offline
         
        Join Date: Jul 2011
        Location: N/A
        Age: 20
        Posts: 47
        I totally agree with Karpman on the Bronzong Screens.

        Only, I'd totally ditch Explosion for Toxic. Just because there's a very low chance that Forretress will set up two layers of Toxic Spikes before it gets KO'd (fear the Chandelure) or Rapid Spun by something else. In which case, Bronz can deliver an almost sure-fire Toxic poisoning. I don't know, just some input.
          #5    
        Old September 6th, 2011 (12:18 AM).
        PlatinumDude's Avatar
        PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
        Nyeh?
        • Gold Tier
         
        Join Date: Aug 2010
        Location: Canada
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Hasty
        Posts: 12,847
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Zlayr View Post
        Crunch on tyranitar sounds like a good idea but keep in mind that after ev training it in special attack its special attack will be greater than its attack.

        I have heard of the curse version of snorlax your talking about but its supposed to be outdated and i liked this version of it better (found them both on the same site) and i will have no legendaries on the team (more fun that way) so no thundurus for me
        but bronzong does sound as a werry interesting pokemon to add to the team the only negitve thing is that if it loses its levitate it is weak to ground attacks and the same goes for eelektross meaning that with tyranitar its 3 pokemon weak to ground.... but i guess theres a pretty small risk that will happend so bronzong will probably be on the team
        Then you can use EV reducing berries to get Tyranitar's Special Attack back down to 0. If you can't get them, maybe you can breed a new Larvitar to train back to Tyranitar (yes, I know it's a lot of work). And try this. Despite the lack of Attack EVs here, it still hits hard its physical moves:
        -Stealth Rock (you can breed for it in Gen V)
        -Crunch/Pursuit
        -Fire Blast
        -Ice Beam/Superpower/Stone Edge
        Nature: Sassy
        EVs: 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 Spe
        Item: Leftovers
        Ability: Sand Stream
        __________________

          #6    
        Old September 6th, 2011 (4:14 AM).
        Zlayr's Avatar
        Zlayr Zlayr is offline
           
          Join Date: Apr 2010
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 29
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
          Then you can use EV reducing berries to get Tyranitar's Special Attack back down to 0. If you can't get them, maybe you can breed a new Larvitar to train back to Tyranitar (yes, I know it's a lot of work). And try this. Despite the lack of Attack EVs here, it still hits hard its physical moves:
          -Stealth Rock (you can breed for it in Gen V)
          -Crunch/Pursuit
          -Fire Blast
          -Ice Beam/Superpower/Stone Edge
          Nature: Sassy
          EVs: 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 Spe
          Item: Leftovers
          Ability: Sand Stream
          Well im not afraid of a lot of work..... right now i dont have any of these pokemons and im actualy replaying soul silver yust to get pineco then i will breed all 6 of them untill i get them with the nature and ability i want and after that EV train them.
          So when i say that i Tyranitars sp attack will be higher because of its EV training it means that i planned it
          but you might be right that ev training attack a bit is a good idea
          but on the other hand that means i put down over 100 evs in special attack only for fire blast
          also my swampert will know stealth rock so i dont need that on my tyranitar and i only have 1 leftowers so shell bell will be a better choise for tyranitar if i ditch the stealth rock but then again im actualy thinking about changing stone edge for thunder wave so im not 100% on whats best
          __________________
          75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

          My religion is geekism. I pray to the gods of gaming
            #7    
          Old September 6th, 2011 (9:46 AM). Edited September 6th, 2011 by Darkfly.
          Darkfly Darkfly is offline
             
            Join Date: Sep 2011
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 13
            That Snorlax is not as good as you may think. I suggest a much simpler but more effective version.

            Return Abuser
            -Rest
            -Sleep Talk
            -EarthQuake
            -Return
            Held Item: Leftovers
            Ability: Thick Fat
            Ev's and Nature: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
            Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

            (Make sure Snorlax's happiness is at max) With max happiness Snorlax, Return's base damage + STAB is 150... equal to Focus Punch. Earthquake is for everything that resists normal moves (Beware Gengar, however). Rest when low on health and sleep talk while sleep (Sleep talk is a gamble because you have a 1/3 chance of using rest instead of an attack and you may not get the attack you want)
              #8    
            Old September 7th, 2011 (12:23 AM).
            PlatinumDude's Avatar
            PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
            Nyeh?
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2010
            Location: Canada
            Age: 23
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Hasty
            Posts: 12,847
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Darkfly View Post
            That Snorlax is not as good as you may think. I suggest a much simpler but more effective version.

            Return Abuser
            -Rest
            -Sleep Talk
            -EarthQuake
            -Return
            Held Item: Leftovers
            Ability: Thick Fat
            Ev's and Nature: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
            Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

            (Make sure Snorlax's happiness is at max) With max happiness Snorlax, Return's base damage + STAB is 150... equal to Focus Punch. Earthquake is for everything that resists normal moves (Beware Gengar, however). Rest when low on health and sleep talk while sleep (Sleep talk is a gamble because you have a 1/3 chance of using rest instead of an attack and you may not get the attack you want)
            Actually, that Snorlax isn't very good because it's completely walled by Gengar and Drifblim. Also, the new sleep mechanics are a bit of a problem An all-out attacker might be better:
            -Return
            -Fire Punch/Crunch
            -Earthquake/Crunch
            -Pursuit/Crunch
            Nature: Adamant
            EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/40 Def/176 SDef
            Item: Leftovers/Choice Band
            Ability: Thick Fat
            __________________

              #9    
            Old September 7th, 2011 (1:14 PM).
            Fairy's Avatar
            Fairy Fairy is offline
            リオレイア
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: May 2011
            Location: in the flowers
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 5,693
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Zlayr View Post
            Crunch on tyranitar sounds like a good idea but keep in mind that after ev training it in special attack its special attack will be greater than its attack.

            I have heard of the curse version of snorlax your talking about but its supposed to be outdated and i liked this version of it better (found them both on the same site) and i will have no legendaries on the team (more fun that way) so no thundurus for me :)
            but bronzong does sound as a werry interesting pokemon to add to the team the only negitve thing is that if it loses its levitate it is weak to ground attacks and the same goes for eelektross meaning that with tyranitar its 3 pokemon weak to ground.... but i guess theres a pretty small risk that will happend so bronzong will probably be on the team
            Hi there!

            I'm sorry to bring up stuff from a while ago, but I really want to mention a few things to you before I no longer can. First, Tyranitar's Special Attack will never be higher than its Attack. ;( With full EV investment and beneficial nature, Tyranitar's Attack maxes out at an impressive 403, while Tyranitar's Special Attack makes out at 317. But, it's not necessarily all about how high these stats are. A Mixed Tyranitar will offer more to your team in terms of coverage, while a Physically oriented Tyranitar will be a much better Physical Attacker. So, you're more or less surrendering one for the other. My point is, both are viable sets for Tyranitar in a competitive environment, it just depends on what you want to use Tyranitar for. Second, Curse Snorlax is also extremely viable this Gen due to the misplaced Sleep mechanics and the consequences of a Choice Band set. The set is old, yes, as in it has been around for a long time. But is it outclassed? Not necessarily. CurseLax can be a real threat to many different teams. Again, using these sets is up to you. But I want to stress the fact that just because a set is outdated or even predictable, doesn't mean that it isn't good. Third, while Thundurus might be "legendary" according to the National Pokedex, it's not "legendary" in terms of competitive battling. Pokemon that are legendary, as in their stats are above and beyond anything that can be found in OU, are Pokemon that can be used in their respective tier, Ubers. However, considering all of Thundurus' stats, it is equivalent to that of many other Pokemon found in the OU tier. There is nothing *drastically* different about what Thundurus can offer as opposed to any other Pokemon designated to that tier. This same concept applies to Landorus, Tornadus, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion. All of whom have similar stats to other Pokemon in OU. Yes, they are legendary. But many of these legendaries are outclassed so much so, that Pokemon like Cresselia and Mew have been reduced to UU and under that even. Any "legendary" Pokemon who are not in Ubers are completely usable in OU and should never *not* be considered because of a title. Finally, I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say, "loses its Levitate". Bronzong won't lose it's immunity to Ground type attacks unless you give it a different ability. The same applies with Eeletross. It's not like the Air Balloon were if you're hit with an Attack it pops and then you're susceptible to Ground type attacks. It's a permanent thing, so you don't need to be concerned about losing it unless you choose to change it. So, since two of your Pokemon are immune to Ground, you really only have one weakness to it. I could be misinterpreting what you're saying though, if so, disregard this. :P

            Now, as far as your Tyranitar is concerned, I highly suggest you use the set recommended by PlatinumDude. The main reason you don't want to run Tyranitar as a Special Sweeper is because it's not taking advantage of Tyranitar's stupid good Attack, which is guaranteed to destroy at least one member of the opposing team. One thing about Tyranitar is that it's very versatile. It's movepool is vast and its stats are equally as accommodating. Another thing I can suggest is an aternative in EV Spread. 252 Attack / 172 Special Attack / 84 Special Defense. This spread places more emphasis in Tyranitar's offensive abilities, and less on survivability in the form of HP. Test it out a bit then come back to us.

            The Choice Band Snorlax set is the best option for you. But you may benefit from dropping Snorlax all together for a Pokemon who can actually achieve the offensive core you're trying to get.

            The last thing I want to mention is the format in which you have presented your RMT. Please remember to give us your Pokemon in the following style:

            Pokemon @ Item
            Ability
            EV Spread
            Nature
            - Move 1
            - Move 2
            - Move 3
            - Move 4

            It seems that your team (even without the changes made in this thread) doesn't have too many outstanding weaknesses. However, I do see Dragon Type moves wrecking it because of the neutral damage is does to everything except Forretress. With the changes made (ie: including Thundurus and Bronzong) that Dragon weakness is mostly resolved. Although it does open up some issues with Water type attacks. So Rotom-W could be a problem for you. That's it for me! :D I just wanted to do some clarifying for you. I'm sorry if my post is like.. totally and completely irrelevant, I've been using my phone this entire time so.. yeah. x_x;

            If you want a suggestion of something good to replace Snorlax, just let the raters know! Good luck to you!
            __________________
            "Cherry Blossom Fire Wyvern"
            Threat Level (危険度):
            Hunter: Doux | MHGen HR 7★ Hub
            0018-4771-7651

             
            Quick Reply

            Sponsored Links
            Thread Tools

            Posting Rules
            You may not post new threads
            You may not post replies
            You may not post attachments
            You may not edit your posts

            BB code is On
            Smilies are On
            [IMG] code is On
            HTML code is Off

            Forum Jump


            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:27 AM.