• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do people hate B/W so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
Years
I just started playing yesterday and I must say, I love it! The graphics are great, the game play is very realistic, and it's just overall looking awesome so far.

Why do you think B/W gets so much heat?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
To anyone else that posts here (already moved a few posts):
This thread is about why other people don't like the games. Talk about why you either love or don't love the games in the thread for that. We've also got threads on things you like and things you dislike about the games too.

Use this thread to discuss why you feel others don't like the games as much as you guys, kay?

I think the main reason why the games haven't got an entirely positive reception is because of the all new Pokemon thing. It's not an issue for me, but from what I've seen posted around here it seems to be an issue for others. Idk it might be the fact that people aren't that accepting when it comes to change or something like that. People kind of get used to the old Pokemon and yeaaah. :x

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I just started playing yesterday and I must say, I love it! The graphics are great, the game play is very realistic, and it's just overall looking awesome so far.

Woa, slow down there buddy. I don't think realistic gameplay is the right word for every pokemon game we currently have right now.

Maybe people hates B/W because they think the new Pokemon look stupid for them or because B/W did not live to the expectation for some people. Mostly because of the new pokemon. For the "veteran" at least.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Why other people don't like the games... well, I'd say it's simply because of the old saying 'you can't please everyone'. And when Pokemon has millions of fans, naturally some of them won't like this generation. After all, 4th gen has its number of haters. As does 3rd, and 2nd... it happens with every gen of Pokemon, every game within the generation, and so forth. Doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary to me in this case.

Cresselia*

Ace trainer
Years
I think because people think it's just too NEW, like, POW! in your face, all those new 3D effects can be irritating sometimes. And I think they dislike the new Pokemon, and are too used to old pokemon (Johto-Hoenn-Kanto and maybe even Sinnoh)

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
In the little I know, what has bothered people is the amount of Pokemon that exist. Almost seven hundred!
Also, the games don't offer something new: you're the rookie trainer who has to overcome all obstacles and make his way in order to become Pokemon League Champion, while he/she frustrates the plans of the evil team on 'X' region.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
In the little I know, what has bothered people is the amount of Pokemon that exist. Almost seven hundred!
Also, the games don't offer something new: you're the rookie trainer who has to overcome all obstacles and make his way in order to become Pokemon League Champion, while he/she frustrates the plans of the evil team on 'X' region.

Possibly. Although game have some major improvement, but it lack of major any new feature. It might be a disappointment for people who craving for new feature and turn up hating B/W.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
R/S/E seemed to be the only game with a little difference between the stories.
Instead of trying to stop the one evil team, you have to try and stop 2 evil teams. That's probably the biggest difference between all the games released.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
[SIZE="a"]I think that the people who hate b/w seem to be usually be blinded by nostalgia or just hate the games because the Pokemon are ugly.[/SIZE]

Raizhu

the end
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
Heh, almost everybody I've met loves BW.
Anyway, it's hated because it's new and different. Some people don't like the changes they made. Including me.

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2020
I was allways under the impression people generally loved it? I think it's only the pro-Kanto fans who hated it. I think people were little bit dissapointed with the linear structure of it, but didn't hate it.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
People often hate what is new, they don't like change even if they don't understand it. And to dislike pokemon because in the raise in the number of pokemon seems silly. With every generation their will be new pokemon, which will undoubtedly increase the number. As with every new generation there will be detractors of that generation for whatever reason they hold against it. This is nothing new and will continue into the future. BW doesn't get any more heat then DP.

blue

gucci
Years
I didn't know this, I haven't heard of many people hating B/W, maybe because of the Pokémon designs/amount? I know I love it!

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
In my own words i feel like this game is lacking soul....Never have i got the same chills running down my spine as when i was playing the good old red and blue originals. The sound tracks we're great, the pokemon we're far more aesthetically pleasing than some of the trash their pumping out nowadays. I feel that the titles are getting worse and more desperate with each release with some exceptions. I really enjoyed the Platinum generation, the fire red/leaf green games and some aspects of soul silver, the latter two are perhaps because they we're remakes of some great titles yet with platinum(pearl/diamond too) the innovation was there and the new pokemon had some style(The starters we're cool unlike the retarded looking ones in the current gen, then again my opinion). Things like the Poke walker and dream world just seem like desperate attempts to keep the titles going and even i think i could create better art work for the black and white pokemon and my artistic skills are basic at best.
All being said i do still enjoy the games i believe its because it feeds my nostalgia yet what i find myself doing every time is creating teams of six dominated by first and second gen pokemon such as dragonite, chansey, tyranitars etc.

Althea

[For Sale]
Years
I'd guess that some older fans (myself included, to a point) have become fed up with the franchise by this point, because it hasn't changed in any really significant way since the first games were released, other than graphically. The tweaks they make between generations are so minor that they add barely anything to the game; you might as well replay one of the previous generations, it's much the same thing. You can only play something so many times before you get bored of it, which might be why people are less than fond of B/W, especially if they've been with the franchise for a long time: they've already played the games four times before, pretty much.

The same could be said of previous generations; people come looking for something fresh and exciting, and they don't really find it, because Pokemon doesn't really need to change to sell, so it doesn't.

I suppose designs of Pokemon probably play a part as well, but then, there have been Pokemon in each generation that people haven't really liked, so I wouldn't have thought that'd be a huge factor. Some you'll like, others you won't and, even if you don't like any of the fifth generation, there is still the first four...once you've finished the game. That restriction - being stuck with fifth gen Pokemon for the entire game - might have something to do with it. I know I was extremely aggravated when I found that I wouldn't be getting any of the original generations until I'd finished the main story.

In short, I'd say people who hate B/W probably have the same reasons for hating the previous generations, and in a lot of cases it probably won't be hatred: they're just bored with a franchise that never changes. I can't honestly say I blame them, all things considered.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I'm not so sure people do hate it...
There are always going to be people who hate it and as bobandbill said, you'd expect that from the millions of fans Pokémon has.
[SIZE="a"]I think that the people who hate b/w seem to be usually be blinded by nostalgia or just hate the games because the Pokemon are ugly.
I agree, but everyone has their set of reasons for disliking and liking something, and for this case, Black and White. Like Althea mentioned, they've released a great amount of games for the franchise already and some tend to get tired of a series if it's out for so long and it's really the same old things except for some minor or small amount of major changes.

Don't get me wrong though, there are some features and things I liked from the game, and some I disliked but none to say I really hated the game. Every game Nintendo puts out there for Pokémon will get its fair share of likes and dislikes, but it's nothing new. It happens with any and every game.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Well an insight to why some of the competitive community hate it. Mainly because near everything is near overpowered and ridiculously hard to counter (for example, Haxorus WILL beat everything in the game with just Outrage if the words "its not very effective" don't appear on your screen, it even beats some steels because its just that damn powerful) or requires you to use something overly specific which is rather mediocre otherwise (see: Sp.Def Scizor or Jirachi just to beat Reuniclus as they are the only true counters to it). As there is so much sheer power around it has eliminated some team styles, for example heavy stall is no longer a good play style like it has been for the past 4 gens and has nearly died out completely, the same with very heavy offense. The black and white metagame is also EXTREMELY centralized around weather which sucks the fun out of the game and makes abusers of each respective weather very hard to handle and for the most part, you need your own weather or an anti weather core (Gliscor for Sand/Storm Drain Gastro for Drizzle abusers/Heatran for Drought and Hail stuff is the most common anti weather core, but this loses to Sun teams which often pack Dugtrio to take Heatran out so its very easy to take advantage of) to even stand a chance against foe weather. If you don't do this you are an at an extreme disadvantage against all weather abusing teams. Lastly, some ridiculous abilities have been introduced a good example of this is Dragonite, with its Multi Scale active, pretty much nothing can OHKO it at all. Even Ice attacks do pathetic damage to it. Basically it takes everything to the absolute extreme and some people don't like this.

edit :

From a gaming point of view like ingame, its very good though and from what ive seen it has been met with only positives in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back