• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
the flower is using palette 0 on firered (the default one for grass and trees) and the only modified behavior byte is telling it to be covered by sprites (20). all the others are set to 00.

Years
Is it now possible to have the 4th gen class split in Emerald? And in AdvanceMap, there are a lot of weather in the header tab. Which one is for hail? Steady snow causes no effect during battle...

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
Is it now possible to have the 4th gen class split in Emerald? And in AdvanceMap, there are a lot of weather in the header tab. Which one is for hail? Steady snow causes no effect during battle...

You mean in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Generation in Emerald? You have to be a little more detailed on that question. Sorry if I'm not helpful on that.

In AdvanceMap, steady snow should be giving you the hailing effect in battle.
(I just tested in on my Emerald rom and it's giving me the hailing effect for multiple "snow" weather styles.)

ManInTheMask

Pro Hacker
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2016
GBA ROM Problem about specific battle music.

This is ManInTheMask, and I could use some help from you ROM Hacking experts.

THE PROBLEM:

I'm working on a GBA ROM, and one of my scripts may require using a certain song during the battle. For example, in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, you hear a certain theme when you battle Team Aqua/Magma grunts and the boss. This also applies for Gym Battles in any game normally, but in this case, I want to use this for GBA ROMs.

MY GOAL:

My goal is to create a battle script using a certain type of track in the game's music collection. I'm counting on you guys to help me out!

Years
You mean in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Generation in Emerald? You have to be a little more detailed on that question. Sorry if I'm not helpful on that.

In AdvanceMap, steady snow should be giving you the hailing effect in battle.
(I just tested in on my Emerald rom and it's giving me the hailing effect for multiple "snow" weather styles.)
Sorry cause I don't know much English...maybe I should say...
In Emerald, whether a move is physical or special depends on the type of the move.
Can I change it so that it depends on the move itself, just like DPPt/HGSS?

However in my emerald, both steady snowing and three snow flakes give me no effect in battle...

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
Sorry cause I don't know much English...maybe I should say...
In Emerald, whether a move is physical or special depends on the type of the move.
Can I change it so that it depends on the move itself, just like DPPt/HGSS?

However in my emerald, both steady snowing and three snow flakes give me no effect in battle...

I believe there is a tool that can help you with editing the attack move types.
Again, I believe you can edit the moveset traits with the certain tools.

I'll have to work with the Emerald weather set again.
I may have edited mine to allow the hailing effect to start at the beginning of a battle. (Local hex edits.)
But, I gotta check.

Years
I believe there is a tool that can help you with editing the attack move types.
Again, I believe you can edit the moveset traits with the certain tools.

I'll have to work with the Emerald weather set again.
I may have edited mine to allow the hailing effect to start at the beginning of a battle. (Local hex edits.)
But, I gotta check.
It seems that the move editor doesn't allow me to choose whether a move is physical or special...

How do i activate a hex? i want 2start my emerald hack with the nat dex
Are you talking about national pokedex?
For Emerald, setflag 0x861 can activate your pokedex, while special 0x1F3 can upgrade your pokedex into national pokedex.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
It seems that the move editor doesn't allow me to choose whether a move is physical or special...

For Emerald, setflag 0x861 can activate your pokedex, while special 0x1F3 can upgrade your pokedex into national pokedex.

That's because it doesn't, they were on about the type, as they misread what you meant.

As far as I know, there is no actual patch or tool or whatever to change whether a move is physical or special, but there has been a development in the same idea in Firered in the Research and Development area. You could ask in that thread if it was possible to do it for Emerald, and how.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
I've been working on a hack called Der Erif, subtitled "Fire Red: Backwards Edition". Naturally, this is a hack of Fire Red in which the path from Viridian to Pewter is blocked and the player must go south of Pallet, in which all of the water has been changed to land, and the map/trainers/scripts are adjusted to create a path that takes the gyms entirely backwards, not including Viridian, which will remain last.

My problem arises after Blaine is beaten. I do not want the Sevii Islands at that point in the game (as it would be after the first gym) so I deleted the scripts of Bill and his boat in Cinnabar, but once the player exits Cinnabar gym, the script begins for Bill to show up and invite the player to the Sevii Islands. After checking all of the scripts in Cinnabar Island, none of them have any mention of Bill's invitation. On another forum someone told me that this is a "Level script" but when I asked him how to change it he told me to come here because apparently you guys are pretty chill.

So rambling aside: Where is the script that cues for Bill to invite the player to the Sevii Islands and how do I remove it? It would be much appreciated.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
On another forum someone told me that this is a "Level script" but when I asked him how to change it he told me to come here because apparently you guys are pretty chill.

So rambling aside: Where is the script that cues for Bill to invite the player to the Sevii Islands and how do I remove it? It would be much appreciated.
AdvanceMap. Header tab. "Map script" section.

"Script no." combobox allows you to select a level script to view, if there are more than one. "Open script" will view the selected script in XSE, allowing you to make sure that you don't delete the wrong one.

Most maps have a script that runs the "setworldmapflag" command and does little else; these are normal, don't delete them. They mark a flightspot as usable if the map has one.

In your case, it looks like Cinnabar Island's 0th level script contains both the setworldmapflag command and parts of Bill's script... So replace it with a script that only runs setworldmapflag, and then delete all other level scripts.

Years
  • Seen Dec 22, 2011
Im fairly new to scripting, and i was wondering; Is there a way to force an egg to hatch, whether through a special or ASM or some such? If not, is there a way to ramp up the step counter so it hatches sooner?

PS. Im using FR.
Any help is highly appreciated, thanks!

Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2015
Heyho, just another newb asking some questions. ;)

I was wondering if there is a possibility to check the levels of the pokemons that are in the players party? If someone could show me a way to do this that would be really helpful.

Another question is how to use the Pokedollar/Yen/whatever sign in a msgbox?

Years
  • Seen Dec 22, 2011
Heyho, just another newb asking some questions. ;)

I was wondering if there is a possibility to check the levels of the pokemons that are in the players party? If someone could show me a way to do this that would be really helpful.

Another question is how to use the Pokedollar/Yen/whatever sign in a msgbox?

I dont know about the levels, but to put the currency symbol into a message simply type \hB7.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
My simple question is:
How can I edit the evolution conditions for some pokémon? Especially the ones that need to be traded to evolve (Hunter, Kadabra, etc.)
I found some hacking tools but they're only for gba roms and I'm working on a Pokémon yellow rom.
Thanks in advance.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
My simple question is:
How can I edit the evolution conditions for some pokémon? Especially the ones that need to be traded to evolve (Hunter, Kadabra, etc.)
I found some hacking tools but they're only for gba roms and I'm working on a Pokémon yellow rom.
Thanks in advance.
Read through this thread (read all the replies).

Thrasher24

~Legendary Master~
Years
For Emerald, setflag 0x861 can activate your pokedex, while special 0x1F3 can upgrade your pokedex into national pokedex.[/QUOTE]

but how do i activate it w/ the hex program. i type in everything ... and thats it im stumped.

SupahNinja

Scripting Ninja
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
How do i activate a hex? i want 2start my emerald hack with the nat dex
but how do i activate it w/ the hex program. i type in everything ... and thats it im stumped.
You need to have a script in your ROM that, when it is activated, uses the commands that make your Pokédex work.
As treeckopa said, you should first use the command setflag 0x861 to activate your Regional Pokédex, then after that use special 0x1F3 to turn it into a National Pokédex.
If you have AdvanceMap and XSE, you really don't need anything else to edit scripts (AdvanceMap to find the offsets, XSE to edit the script and put it in the ROM).
Hex editing won't really help you write this script.
If you have no idea how to write scripts, then check out one of these tutorials:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146174

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hey, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to scripting. I have no problems with how to write the script or how to use it or even find space for it. I'm just not sure how much space to allocate? How many bytes (as an average) should I search for for a script.

Secondly, my hack features many OWs all with very unique palettes, so the stupid 15 palette or whatever thing is really annoying, anyway to get around this and insert more palettes into the OW Table?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Hey, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to scripting. I have no problems with how to write the script or how to use it or even find space for it. I'm just not sure how much space to allocate? How many bytes (as an average) should I search for for a script.
You don't allocate space at all. You use XSE's "#dynamic" preprocessing directive; place it at the top of your script.

Essentially, "#dynamic 0xXXYYZZ" tells XSE to search for free space starting at (and including) the ROM offset 0x08XXYYZZ. Every time you use a "#org @NameOfSomething" statement, XSE will find free space for the associated data.

When you compile the script, a small log window should pop up. At the bottom are two listboxes, showing the offsets that were found and used for each named "#org" statement. You'd copy the offset for whichever "#org" is the start of your script, and that is what you would put into AdvanceMap or some other program.

Secondly, my hack features many OWs all with very unique palettes, so the stupid 15 palette or whatever thing is really annoying, anyway to get around this and insert more palettes into the OW Table?
No. The GBA can only have 32 palettes loaded at a time; 16 for the background (maps, box frames, etc.) and 16 for sprites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back