• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Is there any way to make a sort of a Word break (Line break), for example I have this sentence:

"I Like Pie"

to:

"I
Like Pie"

I have a certain text displaying, but the sentence runs too long, I want to be able to cut it and place the other half right under because this text is loaded from the PBS files.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
I've got 2 things to ask about essentials.
I'm blind, so I'm making, and have already made, pokemon game(s) with no map but the pokecenter, but complete storyline, but this isn't the place to discuss that, I just thought that may be handy for those whom help me.
1: I wish to creat a password system like on pokemon rumble.
Normally, this would not be a problem.
Input number 8 digits.
Conditional branch variable 51 password is 11297381
if so, conditional branch giving away a pokémon of my choice, of my level choice.
However, in essentials, instead of letting you enter a number as with pokemon rumble, you have to select a number.
It doesn't work out!
I need a way for you to be able to enter a password and if correct, than the conditional branch will happen.
Please tell me if you can help me with that.
2: On, what I hope, is a more easy task, I am having trouble with control timer.
The steller empire is going to bomb the place and explode everything if you don't beat so many people in a certen amount of time.
However, I can't ever get it to work properly.
It rresults like you did it in time no matter what.
Any help?
What I do.
Control Timer start 0 min 0 sec.
Conditional branch if 10 min or longer, than
play se explosion
return to title screen.
Else
Storyline contenues.

If you'd help, I'd be very greatful!

Atomic Reactor

How does one go about editing the red squares that show you a pokemons area on the region map from the pokedex?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Is there any way to make a sort of a Word break (Line break), for example I have this sentence:

"I Like Pie"

to:

"I
Like Pie"

I have a certain text displaying, but the sentence runs too long, I want to be able to cut it and place the other half right under because this text is loaded from the PBS files.
The wiki's page on messages tells you how to inset a line break. It's \n by the way.

I've got 2 things to ask about essentials.
I'm blind, so I'm making, and have already made, pokemon game(s) with no map but the pokecenter, but complete storyline, but this isn't the place to discuss that, I just thought that may be handy for those whom help me.
1: I wish to creat a password system like on pokemon rumble.
Normally, this would not be a problem.
Input number 8 digits.
Conditional branch variable 51 password is 11297381
if so, conditional branch giving away a pokémon of my choice, of my level choice.
However, in essentials, instead of letting you enter a number as with pokemon rumble, you have to select a number.
It doesn't work out!
I need a way for you to be able to enter a password and if correct, than the conditional branch will happen.
Please tell me if you can help me with that.
2: On, what I hope, is a more easy task, I am having trouble with control timer.
The steller empire is going to bomb the place and explode everything if you don't beat so many people in a certen amount of time.
However, I can't ever get it to work properly.
It rresults like you did it in time no matter what.
Any help?
What I do.
Control Timer start 0 min 0 sec.
Conditional branch if 10 min or longer, than
play se explosion
return to title screen.
Else
Storyline contenues.

If you'd help, I'd be very greatful!
1. You can use pbEnterText("Enter code:",1,8) to let the player type in a code. Save it to a variable, and then compare it to whichever codes you have in your conditional branches.

2. This should be done in the scripts rather than events, because events won't check the time constantly. The Bug Catching Contest has a timer in it (20 minutes by default). You can copy how this works. Basically, save the starting time to a variable, then use an Events.onMapUpdate procedure to compare the start time + 10 minutes to the current time. If greater, game over!

How does one go about editing the red squares that show you a pokemons area on the region map from the pokedex?
Edit them how? The squares are in the script section PokemonNestsMap, and look like:

Code:
@point.fill_rect(0,0,20,20,Color.new(255,0,0))
The def pbUpdate just below that changes the opacity of the squares to make them glow. That's all there is to them.

I'd like to know how you'd rather see them work.

Atomic Reactor

And that's all I needed. I just wanted to make it so they don't overlap, and change them to a different color. Thank you very much :)

Now... This problem started showing up before i edited that... So it has nothing to do wit that script change. But for some reason... the use of scrolling menus is really acting up... Like... The pokedex and bag menus are acting strange. I can't get all the way to the bottom of the bag if it's off the screen, and i can't go below the fourth pokemon on my pokedex. If i go up from the top, it will go to the very bottom and scroll back up to the top really fast. I've never had this problem until now, and I haven't changed any scripts in months... Any idea what the problem could be?

Nevermind... I restarted my computer..and it fixed the problem..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2015
I'm having some issues with the Day/Night system in my game.

When I load up the game to test, the night tint only shows up for aoout 5 seconds and then vanishes.

I am using the latest version of Pokemon Essentials downloaded from the wiki. I have not made any changes to the day/night system.

I would very much appreciate any advice on how to go about fixing this.

pokemonmasteraaron

Years
VARIABLENAME = VALUE?
I'm not sure if that exactly answers my question.
I need to save something that someone typed in, or something the clock started in a variable so that the game can function properly.
See the answer to my first question to see exactly what I want to know.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
VARIABLENAME = VALUE?
I'm not sure if that exactly answers my question.
I need to save something that someone typed in, or something the clock started in a variable so that the game can function properly.
See the answer to my first question to see exactly what I want to know.
I was about to get into a whole spiel on how variables work and such, but instead I'll show you. You can set the value of a variable (save something to it) by simply using the equals sign. You can even save it to the value returned by a method. So in this case, it would look like: $game_variables[123]=pbEnterText("text",0,10)

The method is automatically called when you do this, which is even more convenient. That one line will call pbEnterText, get whatever the user inputs, and save it in $game_variables[123]. Be aware that calling pbEnterText will allow the user to enter text, numbers and symbols though. It's the same method used for the name entry screen. $game_variables are the variables built-in to RMXP (in the Game_Variables script section), and are in fact the same ones that you see in events. So setting variable 001 in an event to "pie" is the same thing as writing $game_variables[1]="pie"

To touch a little more on what IceGod64 said, in a method you can type whatever name you want for a variable (as long as it's not a keyword), like VARIABLENAME, as per his example (although that's used for constants. not important in this case though). However, that variable cannot be used anywhere but in the method you created it, unless you use it as a parameter when calling another method from the one it's in (or a method it was passed to as a parameter). That's probably getting a little complex, so just use $game_variables for now. The "$" in front of it turns it into a global variable which can be used anywhere and everywhere in the code, even in other script sections, in case you were curious. You have to specifically use $game_variables if you want it useable in an event though. Just be careful not to use it for something else in your game by accident, since giving it a value in code somewhere won't be apparent when looking at the variables through event commands. Those names you can give them in events are just for show.

pokemonmasteraaron

Years
I was about to get into a whole spiel on how variables work and such, but instead I'll show you. You can set the value of a variable (save something to it) by simply using the equals sign. You can even save it to the value returned by a method. So in this case, it would look like: $game_variables[123]=pbEnterText("text",0,10)

The method is automatically called when you do this, which is even more convenient. That one line will call pbEnterText, get whatever the user inputs, and save it in $game_variables[123]. Be aware that calling pbEnterText will allow the user to enter text, numbers and symbols though. It's the same method used for the name entry screen. $game_variables are the variables built-in to RMXP (in the Game_Variables script section), and are in fact the same ones that you see in events. So setting variable 001 in an event to "pie" is the same thing as writing $game_variables[1]="pie"

To touch a little more on what IceGod64 said, in a method you can type whatever name you want for a variable (as long as it's not a keyword), like VARIABLENAME, as per his example (although that's used for constants. not important in this case though). However, that variable cannot be used anywhere but in the method you created it, unless you use it as a parameter when calling another method from the one it's in (or a method it was passed to as a parameter). That's probably getting a little complex, so just use $game_variables for now. The "$" in front of it turns it into a global variable which can be used anywhere and everywhere in the code, even in other script sections, in case you were curious. You have to specifically use $game_variables if you want it useable in an event though. Just be careful not to use it for something else in your game by accident, since giving it a value in code somewhere won't be apparent when looking at the variables through event commands. Those names you can give them in events are just for show.

Okay, I'm starting to get the hang of it, but what about setting the clock's start time several replies ago to a variable?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Okay, I'm starting to get the hang of it, but what about setting the clock's start time several replies ago to a variable?
You would use variable=Time.now.to_i. If you print the results that gives you (you could type print Time.now.to_i or just shorten print to p), you get a large string of numbers. So it needs to be comparative when checking the time (i.e. if variable==(Time.now.to_i + desiredtimeinseconds)). variable is whatever variable you choose to use, such as a $game_variable. And just in case you weren't already aware of this, using one "=" as opposed to two mean different things. One "=" sets a variable to a value, two of them tests equality. You may want to look in PokemonBugContest for more information like Maruno suggested, since that's where I pulled the Time.now.to_i function from. It's all there. It's just a little confusing until you get used to it.

pokemonmasteraaron

Years
And one last thing and im outa here! :P haha.
Don't wanna be a bother.
I just need to know how to set a conditional branch to happen when a serten variable is a certen thing.
e.g.
If on my password variable, they type 11o2ab1cc87 how do I make a conditional branch that will happen when the variable equals above combonation?
Conditional branch variable don't work.
Even for just numbers.
conditional branch only works for me if you set, add, subtract, etc. with control variables.

Years
Hey! I'm kinda new to all this stuff. I do have previous experience making games on Warcraft 3 using its editor and minimal GameMaker experience as well as some Java knowledge. What I'm trying to say is I understand the basics of programming.

Anyways I'm working on a game using the Essentials Kit and RMXP and I was wondering if someone could answer some questions. (I know that some of these questions are general RMXP questions but it'd be nice if someone could link me to the appropriate tutorial rather than saying "This is an RMXP specific question so go ask somewhere else").

1. I want to add some sprites such as those of a policeman but how would I do this? Suppose I have a sprite sheet such as this, how do I make these into NPCs? First thing I notice is that it's the wrong size.
(Won't let me post links til I have 15 posts so please copy/paste: ("spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/pokeem/sheet/8329")

2. With the tilesets, how do I add more tiles from, say, a tileset I've downloaded? I can't switch between tilesets on the same map.

3. How do I make a cutscene where when the player steps onto a square he freezes and an NPC runs at him then jumps and the animation of the exclamation mark (like a trainer battle) appears then he says something then the player goes back 1 square?

4. How do I make it that when the player spawns at the start of the game (after choosing their name and gender) their mother runs up to them and gives a short speech? At the moment I set an event to autorun and made the mother Move Towards Player and say something however she just keeps walking into obstacles and when the speech finish she starts again.

5. I'm still a bit sketchy on variables in RMXP. I seem to only be able to make a max of 50 Boolean and 50 Integer variables and most of these are already use by the Essentials Kit. How would I go about making my own? (Is there a limit as to how many variables I should use?). Also what are Self-Switches? And lastly, does the save/load system that comes with the Essentials Kit automatically save any variables I make myself or do I need to individually add each one to the system?

pokemonmasteraaron

Years
Hey! I'm kinda new to all this stuff. I do have previous experience making games on Warcraft 3 using its editor and minimal GameMaker experience as well as some Java knowledge. What I'm trying to say is I understand the basics of programming.

Anyways I'm working on a game using the Essentials Kit and RMXP and I was wondering if someone could answer some questions. (I know that some of these questions are general RMXP questions but it'd be nice if someone could link me to the appropriate tutorial rather than saying "This is an RMXP specific question so go ask somewhere else").

1. I want to add some sprites such as those of a policeman but how would I do this? Suppose I have a sprite sheet such as this, how do I make these into NPCs? First thing I notice is that it's the wrong size.
(Won't let me post links til I have 15 posts so please copy/paste: ("spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/pokeem/sheet/8329")

2. With the tilesets, how do I add more tiles from, say, a tileset I've downloaded? I can't switch between tilesets on the same map.

3. How do I make a cutscene where when the player steps onto a square he freezes and an NPC runs at him then jumps and the animation of the exclamation mark (like a trainer battle) appears then he says something then the player goes back 1 square?

4. How do I make it that when the player spawns at the start of the game (after choosing their name and gender) their mother runs up to them and gives a short speech? At the moment I set an event to autorun and made the mother Move Towards Player and say something however she just keeps walking into obstacles and when the speech finish she starts again.

5. I'm still a bit sketchy on variables in RMXP. I seem to only be able to make a max of 50 Boolean and 50 Integer variables and most of these are already use by the Essentials Kit. How would I go about making my own? (Is there a limit as to how many variables I should use?). Also what are Self-Switches? And lastly, does the save/load system that comes with the Essentials Kit automatically save any variables I make myself or do I need to individually add each one to the system?

Well, I don't no nothing about mapping, animations, tilesets, or any of that, cause I'm blind.
However, I do know quite a lot about eventing.
A self switch is like a normal switch, accept it can only be used for one event (the event of which you are on)
Example.
You may want to use a normal switch for storyline events, so you can change stuff.
For a trainer; however, it may be wiser to use a self switch to avoid clutter.
And now...on to variables.
pokemon essentials uses only about 50 variables, I'm notsure what boolean is supposed to mean.
There is a thing that says "change maximum"
Use that to increase to however many variables you wish.
I usually start out with 100, same goes for switches

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2023
@pokemonmasteraaron a boolean is a variable that is only true or false. it's what a switch would be considered.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
And one last thing and im outa here! :P haha.
Don't wanna be a bother.
I just need to know how to set a conditional branch to happen when a serten variable is a certen thing.
e.g.
If on my password variable, they type 11o2ab1cc87 how do I make a conditional branch that will happen when the variable equals above combonation?
Conditional branch variable don't work.
Even for just numbers.
conditional branch only works for me if you set, add, subtract, etc. with control variables.
Control variables are those variables I mentioned before. Control variable 001 is the exact same thing as $game_variables[1]. So when you click conditional branch, on the first tab click variable, choose the variable you want (remember that those are actually $game_variables), set the condition (equal to, greater than, etc.), and set the exact value it should be (it can only be numbers if you use events. if you want letters as well, you have to use code only). I would actually suggest using code instead, and lucky for you, I already played around with a cheat codes type of thing before. Here's a generic idea of what it will look like (with sound effects already programmed into it):

Code:
def pbCheatCodes
  code=pbEnterText("Enter a Code",0,10)
  if code=="ABC"
    pbSEPlay("itemlevel")
    #do something cheat-like here
  elsif code=="GENIUS"
    pbSEPlay("itemlevel")
    #do some other cool thing here
  else
   pbSEPlay("buzzer")
   Kernel.pbMessage("Invalid code.")
  end
end
In my example, I used the variable code, since it's not necessary to reference it anywhere else but in that particular script, but you can replace it with $game_variables[whichever] if you prefer. And in place of a conditional branch, you have the more useful if statement here. You can add as many elsif code==whatever clauses as you want, as long as they are before the final else clause. Just drop this in a new script section or wherever, then just use a script command in an event and type pbCheatCodes. RMXP will take care of it from there.

@Worshy: I was about to direct you to the general game making help thread, but it looks like it was locked since it got flooded with Essentials related stuff. Fantastic. Normally I would just say to ask in a different thread, but I didn't find a new help thread when searching, so I'll just leave you a message with the answers.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2015
Okay, so while making my sprites for pokemon trainers, I accidentally made them a little too tall and they're getting cut off on the top.

Is there any way to edit the pokemon battle scene to nudge down the enemy trainer a few pixels?

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2020
So when I use the "EDIT TRAINER" function in the editor included with essentials, it throws this error at me when I try and save:

"---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbSaveTrainerNames' for nil:NilClass

PokemonTrainers:66:in `pbConvertTrainerData'

PokemonTrainers:99:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonEditor:3411:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1522:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1547:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:252:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'

OK
---------------------------"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back