• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Member's Active Area (MAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zet

Years
My only beef with this idea would be if we were unable to hide this from our profile or make it private. Please make sure that we have some level of control over it's view ability. I don't like being tracked for public spectacle.
why have the option to hide it when anyone can easily view posts you have made, to get a general idea in which forum you post a lot in.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah, this isn't showing anything new, and nothing in statistics is able to be hidden afaik, so no reason to assume this will be.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022

why have the option to hide it when anyone can easily view posts you have made, to get a general idea in which forum you post a lot in.

Why not have the option to hide it to ensure satisfaction by all members, rather than only a certain portion?

Melody

Banned
Years

The idea is to make a would-be stalker WORK for figuring out where I like to post. If you must know, you're expected to count all 4k+ of my posts manually hon...those stats should either be eyes only or be able to be restricted to friends/contacts/staff or Self/Staff only if we want.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm afraid I don't really see the point in hiding it; if you're that paranoid about something harmlesss like your posting habits, maybe you should be avoiding it altogether but I'm sure it can be done. :/

I mean seriously, I don't see what your most-posted-in-forum could possibly be used for as far as malpractise goes.

Melody

Banned
Years
It's not so much paranoia.

Is it really so bad to want to be a private person and not give off more info than is reasonable? I see no real point in enforcing this info to be public if it really is as harmless as you say it is. Some of us are minimalists who don't want data like this to be public if we can help it...and not only is there not a purpose in leaving it public, there's much less harm in letting the user say "No, I don't want this to be seen by anyone."

Do I really need a reason for such privacy?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Don't you think it'll be a little more disturbing to know that someone wants to know so badly, they'd go through all of your posts to find out what forum your active in? I know you're a private person and all, but I think making it an option to privatize it would really defeat most - if not all - of it's intended purpose. And its not like it's a function (well, I guess it is) or form of interaction. It's a statistic more than anything.

Zet

Years
Pachy since you seem to be hating on statistics because of "privacy" reasons, my question to you is this: How on Earth are you completely fine with strangers viewing all posts you've made but showing statistics makes your blood rage?

And if you and anyone else is hating on the statistics no one is forcing you to stay here and post.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
The whole idea is great!
And I really don't understand why some people want to hide it, it's a simple statistic. If the stalkers want to know where I post regularly, do so. It's they who waste their time.

EDIT:
I can't wait to see it implemented!

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
Years
Pachy since you seem to be hating on statistics because of "privacy" reasons, my question to you is this: How on Earth are you completely fine with strangers viewing all posts you've made but showing statistics makes your blood rage?

And if you and anyone else is hating on the statistics no one is forcing you to stay here and post.

You confuse things I just deal with because that's the point of the forum in the first place with my opposing something which is, twice as useless as showing statistics like posts per day and post count itself. XD

What I consider to be TMI does not really need justification. Your reasons to make this public and leaving no way to opt-out are equally weak, if not weaker. Seriously, would it kill anyone to compromise?

Cherrim

Years
If it gets implemented and goes up, it will probably not include privacy settings from the get go.

Honestly, if we implemented privcay settings for this, I imagine it would be doable for most things in the profile and I'd rather look into Facebook-esque "show this, do not show this, show this only to friends" etc. settings for things in the profile. :/

Melody

Banned
Years
Well there's already a framework for that kind of stuff for some of the tabs on the profile, so I can see it being doable on the blocks as well if you ask me.

Even if this portion of the feature (Finer grained Profile Privacy) gets filed away as a new suggestion for later implementation, I know that if it's doable then it's worth looking into doing it for the rest of the profile too. If you want me to fork this into a different thread suggesting the better profile privacy I will if no one else wishes to.

Cherrim

Years
I'll probably remember to bring it up when/if there's time for it. But it sounds like more work than just adding a thing to the profile, so I wouldn't expect it at the same time.

Melody

Banned
Years
*shrug*

Worth a shot if there actually are some privacy minded folks still left on PC. XD
I'll probably post it here in CQ&F later if you don't beat me to it. xD
It doesn't matter if all that's added is a "Private" checkbox for some things, kinda like the postbit thingy.

Zet

Years
*shrug*

Worth a shot if there actually are some privacy minded folks still left on PC. XD
I'll probably post it here in CQ&F later if you don't beat me to it. xD
It doesn't matter if all that's added is a "Private" checkbox for some things, kinda like the postbit thingy.
For those privacy type of people the simple solution is to not reveal anything about yourself what so ever. It's completely optional to fill out bio, location, interests, etc etc. However, since this is showing only top most posted places, it has nothing to do with privacy, so I suggest you open up a dictionary and learn the definition of privacy.

Melody

Banned
Years

For those privacy type of people the simple solution is to not reveal anything about yourself what so ever. It's completely optional to fill out bio, location, interests, etc etc. However, since this is showing only top most posted places, it has nothing to do with privacy, so I suggest you open up a dictionary and learn the definition of privacy.

I'm not talking about just the optional text fields here, which already have some decent builtin privacy controls anyway. I'm talking about things like the stuff on the Statistics tab that you simply cannot currently hide, which has info that you didn't populate, it was gathered anyway. It's not a big deal, but it's also doable to allow some control over it, whether it's just a new dropdown on profile privacy for the Statistics tab or something more granular, allowing you to hide things like Username History or your "Last Activity" from public viewing. Maybe even allow hiding of the Emblems tab so that if you have a ton, you don't have n00bs going "I WANT <insert non-requestable emblem> LIKE <some random user> HAS!"

We all know invisible mode is kinda useless if you want your non-staff friends to be able to see you online. XD

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
Wow I don't see the point in making it private either.

If you're worried about people... seeing where you post... Then I don't see what the point of being here is. I dunno, it just seems like a trivial thing to worry about. I can understand you want your privacy, but that's just... really, really silly.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah the part about the privacy that bothers me is that I can understand privacy on age, location, gender, things like that that aren't related to the forum. But to go so far as to want to hide where you like to post? It seems detrimental to the forum experience if people are hiding the posts they make and seems to defeat the purpose of a forum with profiles that link you to posts to begin with.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you want to hide this new feature that shows the statistics of your posts and where they go to, you might as well leave so that you don't post and nothing will show up. Problem solved. Seriously. We can't have one suggestion without you finding some reason to not want it, Pachy.

Melody

Banned
Years

I'm not talking about just the optional text fields here, which already have some decent builtin privacy controls anyway. I'm talking about things like the stuff on the Statistics tab that you simply cannot currently hide, which has info that you didn't populate, it was gathered anyway. It's not a big deal, but it's also doable to allow some control over it, whether it's just a new dropdown on profile privacy for the Statistics tab or something more granular, allowing you to hide things like Username History or your "Last Activity" from public viewing. Maybe even allow hiding of the Emblems tab so that if you have a ton, you don't have n00bs going "I WANT <insert non-requestable emblem> LIKE <some random user> HAS!"

We all know invisible mode is kinda useless if you want your non-staff friends to be able to see you online. XD
See magenta emphasis in quote and just Spheal with it.

I honestly don't see any point in keeping such statistics as suggested in this thread to be honest. And I don't see any point in you guys opposing me either, other than to just be ugly because you took it personally because I don't always hop on the darned bandwagon, because I think about things and voice my concerns before accepting something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back