• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rain Stalling

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
OU Rain Stalling

Over the course of a few weeks, I've chopped and changed my original rains tall team into what I have today. I can't tell you my original, exactly, other than I had Ferrothorn in there, and I also had a Swampert. I've been using this exact team on Pokemon online for a few days, but I've noticed quite a few holes in my team:

186.gif
113.gif
149.gif
073.gif
195.gif
134.gif

Spoiler:

My main issues are sandstorm teams, Jirachi, and my lack of an ice type move (because of a massive dragon-type weakness/grass weakness when some of my Pokemon are gone. So, uh, could you rate my team, and give suggestions about anything you can think of - and tell me who I should give Ice Beam. Should I had a Swift Swim Ludicolo?

The only Pokemon I wont change are Politoed and Chansey, all of the other ones are open to change. Dragonite should stay roughly the same though.

PS: Sorry if I've used incorrect grammar, incoherent sentences, or brief sentences without much explanation, I'm too tired at the moment (haven't had my coffee yet) to type properly, apologies.

Last edited:

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
If you're going to drop Quagsire, I would probably put either Golem or Gigalith (if Pokémon Online has that on there yet), as either one makes for a really good physical wall.

To try and compensate for a lack of strength against Grass types, I would do away with Tentacruel and replace it with something like an Umbreon. I'll be the first to admit that, yes, their ATK/SPCATK stats stink, but where they lack in those areas, they greatly make up for in both DEF/SPCDEF. This is great is you're looking to put up some form of a wall/stall team. You can just as easily teach Toxic to an Umbreon (or almost any other Pokémon for that matter). I don't know if you can, but I think so, you should also teach it Protect. I also believe, if I'm not mistaken, that it can learn Sand Attack. By lowering your enemy's accuracy first, you greatly increase your chances of not being hit by their attacks, as we all know. Since Protect will fail after subsequent use, this means that lowering your foe's accuracy will greatly increase your chances of an attack not landing in between any failure of Protect. I know, a bit of a long, drawn out strategy, but I've had this tactic used on me during battles in Pokémon Stadium 2 by Team Rocket, and I know it's frustrated me to no end. BUT...it works. lol

Over the course of a few weeks, I've chopped and changed my original rains tall team into what I have today. I can't tell you my original, exactly, other than I had Ferrothorn in there, and I also had a Swampert. I've been using this exact team on Pokemon online for a few days, but I've noticed quite a few holes in my team:

186.gif
113.gif
149.gif
073.gif
195.gif
134.gif

Spoiler:

My main issues are sandstorm teams, Jirachi, and my lack of an ice type move (because of a massive dragon-type weakness/grass weakness when some of my Pokemon are gone. So, uh, could you rate my team, and give suggestions about anything you can think of - and tell me who I should give Ice Beam. Should I had a Swift Swim Ludicolo?

The only Pokemon I wont change are Politoed and Chansey, all of the other ones are open to change. Dragonite should stay roughly the same though.

PS: Sorry if I've used incorrect grammar, incoherent sentences, or brief sentences without much explanation, I'm too tired at the moment (haven't had my coffee yet) to type properly, apologies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hidden Power Fire is weakened in Rain, making it a not so good option on Quagsire.

Use Brick Break on Dragonite for Ferrothorn:
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Brick Break
-Roost
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 224 HP or Atk/252 SAtk/24 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale

Or
-Hurricane
-Aqua Tail
-ExtremeSpeed
-Brick Break
Nature: Rash
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Life Orb

I'd use Gastrodon instead of Quagsire to check other Water Pokemon:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Ice Beam/Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Sassy/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Ability: Storm Drain

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Sand Attack.
The use of sand attack, or any other accuracy lowering moves are not allowed to be used if you're playing under the "accuracy clause".

Anyways, I really really recommend having Rest on Vaporeon there. I mean, Hydration + Rest is like the best thing ever. And probably give it Leftovers too. With Rest, Wish pretty much just takes up space. I'd go with something like Protect.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
The use of sand attack, or any other accuracy lowering moves are not allowed to be used if you're playing under the "accuracy clause".

Anyways, I really really recommend having Rest on Vaporeon there. I mean, Hydration + Rest is like the best thing ever. And probably give it Leftovers too. With Rest, Wish pretty much just takes up space. I'd go with something like Protect.
There is no "accuracy clause". Those moves are not banned. Double Team, Minimize etc are because lowered Accuracy stats just require switching to get rid of it.

Vaporeon wants Leftovers. Have you considered trying out Scizor > Quagsire? It can give you a decent switch-in to Dragon-type moves as well as grasses, and the rain mitigates its huge Fire-type weakness. I know it's a rain stall team but hey, it's an option. I'd look into some steels in general because Lati@s generally have a heyday with rain stall teams. :<

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
If you're going to drop Quagsire, I would probably put either Golem or Gigalith (if Pokémon Online has that on there yet), as either one makes for a really good physical wall.

I replaced my Quagsire with a Gigalith, but I found that although it had Sturdy, entry hazards really let it down. In addition, with the rain, any water type move pretty much KO'd it. :\ I used it in about five battles, but it wasn't very successful.

Your other suggestion I would totally do, but I would have to add Mean Look (so they can't switch out), and I would rather have Dark Pulse there TBH. But thanks for the suggestion :D

Hidden Power Fire is weakened in Rain, making it a not so good option on Quagsire.

Derp. I knew that. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Use Brick Break on Dragonite for Ferrothorn:
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Brick Break
-Roost
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 224 HP or Atk/252 SAtk/24 Spe

I used this set in about ten battles, but noticed that because it was quite slow and not very bulky, that Roost wasn't really required - and two people even predicted and went for the Earthquake. Also I found that a lot of the time the opponent had very little HP left, and I was outsped a lot of the time. So I replaced Roost with Extremespeed.

I'd use Gastrodon instead of Quagsire to check other Water Pokemon:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Ice Beam/Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature: I choose another Nature, that +SpA - Att cant remember what it is though
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Ability: Storm Drain

I did use this, and it has had a myriad of success - except against Ferrothorn, of course. I did slightly alter the EV's, so that it had a little but more physical bulk, but other than, it is a great set.

I would use Rest, but I'm just not fond of the fact that it falls asleep. :\ I mean, it does take away other status's but so does Hydration. I will maybe try using rest when I go online next. I think that protect would be a great idea, because I always need that little bit of extra HP to guarantee the kill. Thanks for the suggestions.

Vaporeon wants Leftovers. Have you considered trying out Scizor > Quagsire? It can give you a decent switch-in to Dragon-type moves as well as grasses, and the rain mitigates its huge Fire-type weakness. I know it's a rain stall team but hey, it's an option. I'd look into some steels in general because Lati@s generally have a heyday with rain stall teams. :<

Yes, I tried out this but I probaby wasn't using the right set... I gave Scizor pursuit, with Technician, to kill some ghost types that Chansey might have trouble with, but I found that Scizor was usually 2KO'd frequently. Thanks for this suggestion though.

Back