The PokéCommunity Forums The PokéCommunity Archives ARCHIVED: Battle Center Competitive Team Help
[Gen V] My Epic Rain Stall team.

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

View Poll Results: What do you think of this team?
One of the best I've ever seen! 2 40.00%
Very good! 2 40.00%
Average 1 20.00%
Not very good. 0 0%
One of the worst! 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 4th, 2011 (5:18 PM). Edited October 4th, 2011 by Slugger57.
Slugger57's Avatar
Slugger57 Slugger57 is offline
Noble 6
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Location: Sneaking up behind you. Muhahahaha!!!
    Age: 19
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 17
    This is my first attempt at a rain stall team, but I have been working on it for a couple months. ANY advice is appreciated. I would also like some advice on my nicknames and what I should name the overall team.

    Frogger (Politoed) @Leftovers
    Nature: Sassy
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP/ 200 Def/ 56 Sp.def
    IVs: 0 Spd.
    -Scald
    -Encore
    -Toxic
    -Protect

    DrizzleToed for very, very obvious reasons. Encore really destroyes things that use boosting moves. Toxic to cripple things, and Protect to stall out toxic damage and gain lefties recovery. Sassy and 0 Spd. IVs so it's slower than TTar and sets it's weather up after TTar.

    SPIKE (Ferrothorn) @Leftovers/Rocky helmet
    Nature: Careful
    Ability:Iron barbs
    EVs: 252 HP/ 196 Sp.Def/ 60 Def
    -Leech seed
    -T-wave
    -Stealth rock
    -Power whip

    Ferrothorn is an awesome pokemon with resistances to grass and electric. Two types that are a pain to rin stall. Stealth rock to add to the risidual damgae they take when switching in, and T-wave ruins fast seepers. Lefties for more recovery with leech seed, or rocky helmet to punish physical attackers and rapid spinners. The EV spread is to make him a mixed wall, capable of switching in on physical and special attacks.

    Da Krakken (Tentacruel) @Leftovers/ Black sludge
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Rain dish
    EVs: 252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Spd.
    -Surf
    -T-spikes
    -Rapid spin
    -Protect/ Ice beam

    Tentacruel is a very good T-spiker and Rapid spinner, plus his ability to immediatly absorb Toxic spikes is VERY helpful. Black sludge punishes any pokemon that uses trick, and also is good for recovery. But I'm not sure which recovers more, Lefties or Black sludge. If Leftovers does recover more I'll probably go with it.

    Ruby (Latias) @Leftovers
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spd./ 6 Sp.Def
    -Dragon pulse
    -Calm mind
    -Substitute
    -Recover

    CM Latias is one awesome pokemon! It's able to absorb a lot of attacks with it's resistances, and after a 2 or 3 Calm minds it becomes an amazing special wall, and a really good sweeper. It's even won CM battles against Suicune, Reniculus, Virizion, and it really gets me out of a pinch sometimes. It's key resistances to Electric, Grass, Fighting, Fire, and more plus it's immunity to ground is icing on the cake!

    Stain buster (Rotom-W) @Choice scarf
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd./ 252 Sp.Atk/ 6 HP
    -Volt switch
    -Hydro pump
    -Hidden power (Ice)
    -Trick

    Rotom-W is a really awesome scout and sweeper with a choice scarf, and tricking it onto another pokemon can really cripple that pokemon. It also can counter pokemon like Landorus and Gliscor most of the time. It's my only pokemon with a flying resistance, which means it is the only pokemon of mine that could swich in on a Hurrican from Tornadus without taking massive damage.

    Mushroom Man (Parasect) @Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Dry skin
    EVs: 252 HP/
    -Leech seed
    -Substitute
    -X-scissor
    -Spore

    Paarasect is one of the MOST ANNOYING pokemon to face under rain! Spore has 100% accuracy and can pretty much take a pokemon out of the match with the new sleep mechanics. Leech seed, Leftovers, and Dryskin recovers an insane amount of health. In fact, with all this recovery, parasect actually recovers more health than he uses when using substitute.

    Well, that's my rain team. Please let me know what you think.
    __________________
    This signature has been disabled.
    Height well exceeds 350px.
    Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

    You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

    Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old October 4th, 2011 (5:41 PM).
    champagnepapi's Avatar
    champagnepapi champagnepapi is offline
    exile
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: new england
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 1,796
    Hi there.

    Alright, well you only need 10 Speed IVs on Toed, with a Relaxed Nature, which assures your weather will come into effect if you lead Toed. Toed also wants Perish Song over Encore, to stop last Pokemon sweeps.

    Ferrothorn wants this set

    Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    -Leech Seed
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Gyro Ball/Power Whip

    Every stall team needs Spikes and Ferro brings them, this team is no exception.

    Finally, Tentacruel will do a bit better with Undisputed's EVs, and use Protect over Ice Beam.

    Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Protect
    - Rapid Spin

    As for other team options, I think that while helpful, Latias can't really fit in on a Rain Stall team, I reccomend using Eviolite Chansey instead, with the following EVs.

    Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Seismic Toss
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Wish

    With the following EVs, you will never be 2HKO'd by +6 NP Bi Giga Drain, and Psychic has like a 2% chance of 2HKO.

    Next, I think you should use Gliscor as your main defensive wall, as it beats numerous Physical Threats.

    Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Protect
    - Taunt

    Finally, there are a lot of potential choices as to what you'll run in the last slot, I've used Bronzong, Latias, Quagsire and Gyarados, all of which help the team quite a bit, it's really personal preference/which threats you want to beat.


    Good luck!
      #3    
    Old October 5th, 2011 (11:18 AM). Edited October 5th, 2011 by Slugger57.
    Slugger57's Avatar
    Slugger57 Slugger57 is offline
    Noble 6
       
      Join Date: Aug 2011
      Location: Sneaking up behind you. Muhahahaha!!!
      Age: 19
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 17
      Cool, thx for the sudgestions. I like your ferro set. I couldn't choose between SR or spikes, and T-wave isn't really working out for me, so I'm gonna change it to what you sudgested. I've tried chansey and gliscor, and they both rule. I'll try them out and see how they work with the team. I'm not so sure about replacing encore on Toed, it's really helped me with pokes who think they can get a free boosting move in. But P-song does ruin BP chains, and forces boosting sweepers out like encore, so I'll give it a try. In the last slot I think I'll try Jirachi or Bronzong. Or maybe latias. Thx for all your help dude!

      Edit: Oops. I forgot ferrothorn can't learn Leech seed, spikes, and stealth rock all on the same set. There isn't any pokemon that can learn those three and pass them onto him as an egg move.
      __________________
      This signature has been disabled.
      Height well exceeds 350px.
      Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

      You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

      Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
        #4    
      Old October 5th, 2011 (12:42 PM).
      champagnepapi's Avatar
      champagnepapi champagnepapi is offline
      exile
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Nov 2010
      Location: new england
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 1,796
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Slugger57 View Post
      Cool, thx for the sudgestions. I like your ferro set. I couldn't choose between SR or spikes, and T-wave isn't really working out for me, so I'm gonna change it to what you sudgested. I've tried chansey and gliscor, and they both rule. I'll try them out and see how they work with the team. I'm not so sure about replacing encore on Toed, it's really helped me with pokes who think they can get a free boosting move in. But P-song does ruin BP chains, and forces boosting sweepers out like encore, so I'll give it a try. In the last slot I think I'll try Jirachi or Bronzong. Or maybe latias. Thx for all your help dude!

      Edit: Oops. I forgot ferrothorn can't learn Leech seed, spikes, and stealth rock all on the same set. There isn't any pokemon that can learn those three and pass them onto him as an egg move.
      Stealth Rock can be learned on Chansey, so you could give it to that over Wish, although Ferro won't be able to live as long. At any rate, Parasect and Rotom-W are easy outclassed on a Rain Stall team.

      If you want a Scarfer, then use Politoed, it's actually a pretty great Scarfer.

      Politoed @ Choice Scarf
      4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
      Modest Nature [You will be doing next to no damage with Jolly, 358 is a nice speed tier to be in, too]
      -Hydro Pump
      -Focus Blast
      -Ice Beam
      -Hidden Power Grass/Perish Song

      I go with Perish Song as the final move, because I outspeed every CM Sweeper in the game, barr Alakazam and can just Sing them away and end the match, Hidden Power Grass doesn't really hurt stuff anyways.

      Since you now have Scarf Toed, I reccomend replacing Rotom-W with Quagsire.

      Quagsire @ Leftovers
      248 HP/212 Def/44 SpD
      Relaxed Nature
      -Scald
      -Earthquake
      -Recover
      -Toxic/Stockpile

      Finally, just replace Parasect with Gliscor as instructed, so that you can check a myriad Physical threats and form a core with Chansey/Quagsire that opponents will be hard-pressed to break.

      Oh, and use either Surf or Roar over Sub on Latias, it will definitely help the team a lot more.
        #5    
      Old October 5th, 2011 (5:25 PM).
      Vrai's Avatar
      Vrai Vrai is offline
      can you feel my heart?
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Jun 2008
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 2,893
      Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
      Stealth Rock can be learned on Chansey, so you could give it to that over Wish, although Ferro won't be able to live as long.
      Stealth Rock is indeed a good move to use on Chansey, though you shouldn't replace her only reliable recovery. ;( Wish is easily the most useful move on Chansey's entire moveset. I'd much rather drop Protect and if you think that's really essential then maybe Toxic, but really Wish should be the last thing on Chansey's moveset to be replaced imo. I'm no master of rain stall but I think reliable recovery for potentially every Pokemon on the team is something that shouldn't be passed up.
      __________________
        #6    
      Old October 14th, 2011 (1:02 PM).
      Slugger57's Avatar
      Slugger57 Slugger57 is offline
      Noble 6
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Location: Sneaking up behind you. Muhahahaha!!!
        Age: 19
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 17
        Yeah, I agree that wish is impossible to pass up on chansey. I would like to run Stealth rock on chansey, but I think my team might need heal bell more. But I'll test it on PO and see how it works.

        So, karpman, if I'm reading your sudgestions right, then you think I should run these sets.

        Politoed @choice scarf
        Nature: Modest
        Ability: Drizzle
        EVs: 252 Spd./ 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 HP
        -Hydro pump
        -Ice beam
        -Focus blast
        -Perish song/ HP Grass

        Chansey @Eviolite
        Nature: Bold
        Ability: Natrul cure
        EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def./ 4 Sp.def
        -Toxic
        -Wish
        -Stealth rock
        -Protect/ Seismic toss

        Gliscor @Toxic orb
        Nature: Impish
        Ability: Poisen heal
        EVs: 240 HP/ 248 Def./ 20 Spd.
        -EQ
        -Ice fang
        -Taunt
        -Protect

        Quagsire @Leftovers
        Nature: Relaxed
        Ability: Unnaware
        EVs: 252 HP/ 212 Def/ 44 Sp.Def
        -Toxic/ Stockpile
        -Recover
        -Scald
        -EQ

        Latias @Leftovers
        Nature: Timid
        Ability: Levitate
        EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spd./ 4 Sp.def
        -Recover
        -Dragon pulse
        -Calm mind
        -Surf/ Roar

        Ferrothorn @Rocky helmet
        Ability: Iron barbs
        Nature: Relaxed
        EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Sp.def/ 48 Def.
        -Leech seed
        -Spikes
        -Power whip/ Gyro ball
        -Protect

        Tentacruel @Black sludge
        Nature: Bold
        Ability: Rain dish
        EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Def/ 44 Spd./ 4 Sp.def
        -Toxic spikes
        -Rapid spin
        -Protect
        -Scald

        These sets you've sudgested look great, but which six of these seven pokemon do I use? I think I should probably use either Chansey or Latias, instead of both since they can both act as a special wall. And I'm slightly considering Gastrodon over Quagsire, since it can absorb water type attacks to get a +1 Sp.Atk boost. But then again, so could Latias and Chansey. And Unnaware on Quagsire could really help stop boosting sweepers, especially Thunderus. I also think I will use Swords dance over taunt on Gliscor, because taunt hasn't really been useful for me, and I find that Gliscor doesn't hit as hard as I need him to without it. I like the idea of using P-song on Scarf politoed. I'm sure that would really suprise the foe. XD Thx for all your help with this team!
        __________________
        This signature has been disabled.
        Height well exceeds 350px.
        Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

        You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

        Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
          #7    
        Old October 14th, 2011 (1:17 PM).
        champagnepapi's Avatar
        champagnepapi champagnepapi is offline
        exile
        • Gold Tier
         
        Join Date: Nov 2010
        Location: new england
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 1,796
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Slugger57 View Post
        Yeah, I agree that wish is impossible to pass up on chansey. I would like to run Stealth rock on chansey, but I think my team might need heal bell more. But I'll test it on PO and see how it works.

        So, karpman, if I'm reading your sudgestions right, then you think I should run these sets.

        Politoed @choice scarf
        Nature: Modest
        Ability: Drizzle
        EVs: 252 Spd./ 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 HP
        -Hydro pump
        -Ice beam
        -Focus blast
        -Perish song/ HP Grass

        Chansey @Eviolite
        Nature: Bold
        Ability: Natrul cure
        EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def./ 4 Sp.def
        -Toxic
        -Wish
        -Stealth rock
        -Protect/ Seismic toss

        Gliscor @Toxic orb
        Nature: Impish
        Ability: Poisen heal
        EVs: 240 HP/ 248 Def./ 20 Spd.
        -EQ
        -Ice fang
        -Taunt
        -Protect

        Quagsire @Leftovers
        Nature: Relaxed
        Ability: Unnaware
        EVs: 252 HP/ 212 Def/ 44 Sp.Def
        -Toxic/ Stockpile
        -Recover
        -Scald
        -EQ

        Latias @Leftovers
        Nature: Timid
        Ability: Levitate
        EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spd./ 4 Sp.def
        -Recover
        -Dragon pulse
        -Calm mind
        -Surf/ Roar

        Ferrothorn @Rocky helmet
        Ability: Iron barbs
        Nature: Relaxed
        EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Sp.def/ 48 Def.
        -Leech seed
        -Spikes
        -Power whip/ Gyro ball
        -Protect

        Tentacruel @Black sludge
        Nature: Bold
        Ability: Rain dish
        EVs: 252 HP/ 208 Def/ 44 Spd./ 4 Sp.def
        -Toxic spikes
        -Rapid spin
        -Protect
        -Scald

        These sets you've sudgested look great, but which six of these seven pokemon do I use? I think I should probably use either Chansey or Latias, instead of both since they can both act as a special wall. And I'm slightly considering Gastrodon over Quagsire, since it can absorb water type attacks to get a +1 Sp.Atk boost. But then again, so could Latias and Chansey. And Unnaware on Quagsire could really help stop boosting sweepers, especially Thunderus. I also think I will use Swords dance over taunt on Gliscor, because taunt hasn't really been useful for me, and I find that Gliscor doesn't hit as hard as I need him to without it. I like the idea of using P-song on Scarf politoed. I'm sure that would really suprise the foe. XD Thx for all your help with this team!
        Looks good, although I think you should take the route of IR and use Dragonite over Latias/Gliscor. While Gliscor is great on Rain Stall, Politoed can check and defeat most of the threats that it beats. Anyhow, here's the set for Dragonite.

        Dragonite @ Leftovers
        252 HP | 108 SpAtk | 148 SpDef
        Calm Nature
        -Dragon Tail
        -Hurricane
        -Roost
        -Thunder

        No problem and good luck!
        __________________

        paired to kaori & vrai
          #8    
        Old October 19th, 2011 (3:57 PM). Edited October 21st, 2011 by Slugger57.
        Slugger57's Avatar
        Slugger57 Slugger57 is offline
        Noble 6
           
          Join Date: Aug 2011
          Location: Sneaking up behind you. Muhahahaha!!!
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 17
          The set looks good, except for the fact that I'll have to combat Sun and Sandstorm teams in which thunder and hurricane will be almost useless. And if I'm going to choose him over gliscor, then what physical wall do I have outside of quagsire? I haven't tested Quag yet, so I'm not sure how he absorbs physical attacks with the EV spread you gave him, but it looks like it should work to some extent. I was thinking maybe a Dragonite like this.

          Dragonite @Life orb
          Nature: Quite/ Rash
          Ability: Multiscale
          EVs: 252 Atk./ 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Spd
          -Aqua tail
          -Extremespeed
          -Hurricane
          -Roost/ Brick break

          This is a smogon set that I tested for a while, and found that it worked kind of well. Whatever set I go with, I would like to try and include extremespeed, becuase no other party members of mine have a priority move, the closest being scarf politoed. But then again, it might not be that important.

          Or maybe this one

          Dragonite @Leftovers
          Nature: Careful
          Ability: Multiscale
          EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Spd
          -Dragon tail
          -Substitute
          -Roost
          -T-wave

          This set has the potential to do very well, but T-wave would probably conflict with Toxic spikes. The idea is to use thunder wave on the pokemon you're battling (provided it isn't a ground type) and then, since you will probably outspeed them, you can use roost to get multiscale up for their attack. Then you keep using roost until they are unable to move due to paralysis, and then you can use either sub or Dragon tail.

          Well anyway, I'll do some testing with your set and see how it works. Thx again for your help!
          __________________
          This signature has been disabled.
          Height well exceeds 350px.
          Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

          You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

          Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
           
          Quick Reply

          Sponsored Links
          Thread Tools

          Posting Rules
          You may not post new threads
          You may not post replies
          You may not post attachments
          You may not edit your posts

          BB code is On
          Smilies are On
          [IMG] code is On
          HTML code is Off

          Forum Jump


          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:10 PM.