• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon sizes that surprise you

Years
Pokemon come in all different shapes and sizes, but not all Pokemon's sizes are what you think.

I got so shocked when I found out some Pokemon were bigger or smaller than I thought.

Some I know of:

Excadrill may look strong, but it's actually smaller than what I'd expected.

Roselia's size also intrigued me, it's just a little bit taller than Budew.

I never knew Glalie was so massive, I mean it's a floating face but wasn't expecting it to be enormous.

Garbodor's size also shocked me, it's almost as tall as an average 10-year-old Pokemon Trainer.

Snivy063

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
I was shocked to know that Pidgeot is pretty huge and big in the anime than in the game. :'x

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I was surprised to learn that Excadrill is only 2 and a half feet tall. I was also surprised to learn about Scolipede's huge size. Also, I never expected Sawsbuck to be 6 and a half feet tall; I thought it was a bit over 5 feet tall.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Many of pokemon size surprise me.
Mostly because they are too......small
Nidoking and Nidoqueen are to be expected larger than average man. About 3-5 meters tall
Kyogre and Groudon sizes aren't massive enough. Seriously they are leviathan and behemoth who make shape the land and the sea. I expect them to be titanic.

And no. I don't make any reference to the anime.

Years
Manectric's size also surprised me, it's just as tall as an average 10-year-old Pokemon Trainer, around 4 feet 11 inches tall.

I thought Manectric was smaller than that.

Last edited:

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
Wailord probably surprised me to no end. I was actually expecting it to be a bit smaller than it really is. But it's HUGE! You become even more astounded by it's size when you play Pokémon Battle Frontier and realize that you, the trainer, look like a little dot compared to it. lol

Tyewatson

Poke Scholar
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 25, 2011
^ I agree, Wailord is massive. Like Wailmer was nothing compared to this beast. Its one of my favourite Pokémon from Sapphire and Ruby. If I didn't have Swampert it was Wailord as the water-type on my team.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
Years
Actually compared to real blue whales, Wailord is a dwarf. I expected it to be much bigger.

Excadrill - Only 2 feet. wth.
Zapdos - The same size as Haunter. Wow. I expected him to be bigger than a house, but hes smaller than me. 5'03
Emboar - Same size as Zapdos, 5'03
Hydreigon - Only 5'11. I actaully imagined a three headed beast like him being at least 10' tall. Heck, he's the same size as Scizor.
Arbok - Is way too oversized. 11'06, wth!? I realize he's a serpent, but stil...
Joltik - 4 inches...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Rapidash is way undersized. It's a horse, it shouldn't be my height. :x Tauros as well, it shouldn't be just 4'07".

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Aerodactyl should be the size of a house, not barely 6ft... that way its extinction would've made more sense too.

A lot of game sizes are awkward; I don't imagine Game Freak put much thought into it.

Arbok - Is way too oversized. 11'06, wth!? I realize he's a serpent, but stil...
It's length. Real-world snakes can reach about 30ft (see: P. reticulatus), so Arbok is actually quite modest.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • PA
  • Seen Dec 9, 2019
I've been noticing a lot of odd discrepancies...Wailord's weight is wayyyyy too low. Blue/Sperm Whales, which are technically larger both in length and weight in our real world than Wailord, way up to 200 tons. Wailord is 877.4 lbs. Just no. Wailord should still be multiple tons. I would also expect both Tyranitar and Steelix/Onix to be heavier than they are. There are a bunch more of them that are based off of real animals that aren't even close. Walrein, Camerupt, Rhydon (a 6′3″ stone clad rhino weighs 264.6 pounds?!)...the list goes on.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
I've always found it funny that Wailord is supposed to be this gigantic whale, but it's actually only as big as you are (according to the OW sprites in HG/SS).

Sap Sipper

Terrified of Bad Luck.
Years
For some reason, when I first played Diamond and saw the Pokédex entry for Dialga, I was surprised by how big it was. Because of its appearance, I kinda expected it to be horse-sized...

And does anybody else think that the player characters are really short? I know they're 10, but it still seems way too short.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
Years
I was surprised that Venusaur was heavier than Blastoise, to be honest.

Sure, the height makes a difference, but Blastoise always seemed larger.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
You know what would be funny, is if the heights and weights of most pokemon are just a weird joke that Game Freak is playing on it's fan base. Purposely making it's really intimidating and powerful pokemon really silly in height and weight, and all the pokemon that look small and innocent are actually really heavy and tall.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Apparently Swampert is the same height as an average trainer. I thought it'd be a bit taller than that. That means I'm taller than a Swampert. It's 4'11.

Machamp is also only 5'3. I thought it would be like an Olympic Weight Lifters, like at least 6'0.

Wobbuffet

Patient pokemon
Years
Natu. I would of expected it to be the size of a robin but from the size it seemed to be in game it seems to be waaaaay smaller.

Back