• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] The Pokemon Trainer Academy (OOC) (NEW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold19

Yes, I'm that One Guy
Years
A new update to Dante's team:

627.png

Name: Rufflet
Lvl 25
Moves: Aerial Ace, Hone Claws, Wing Attack, Fury Attack, Peck, Work Up

256.png

Name: Combusken
Lvl 21
Moves: Peck, Double Kick, Ember, Focus Energy, Sand Attack, Scratch

239.png

Name: Elekid
Lvl 17
Moves: Quick Attack, Swift, Thunder Shock, Low Kick, Ice Punch, Brick Break

304.png

Name: Aron
Lvl 17
Moves: Tackle, Harden, Mud-Slap, Headbutt, Metal Claw

Aron went up two levels by fighting a wild Beedrill.
The rest of the team unchanged.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Yours was a full update, Gold19. No problem. c:

Also, Adder_Panda is approved.

Last edited:

SelenaStar

Who says you're not perfect?
Years
Hey guys!!

Okay...so just something that's been bugging me a little recently that I feel I have to express my opinion on for the good of the RP. I understand that I am not the GM of this RP, and so my opinion counts about as much as trying to pay for Louboutin heels with peanut shells but instead of just irritating myself by thinking about this I figured I might aswell get a discussion started about this issue.

Evasion in battle.

Obviously we aren't in a competitive RP as such, and as an RP collective we are generally very good with the whole 'Do-Not-GodMod-And-Bunny-During-Battle-By-Having-Your-Pokemon-Dodge-Attacks-Ridiculously' thing, but I do think that it is something we should all remind ourselves about every now and again.

'Dodge' and 'Avoid' are not moves. A Pokemon's Speed has no bearing on their ability to evade Special Attacks (Physical Attacks, admittedly, there is more scope for dodging these should one have a particularly speedy Pokemon, but even then it should be sparing) The whole POINT of attacks in the Pokemon universe is that they are notoriously DIFFICULT to dodge!!! - how do I know this? Learned the hard way by making these mistakes myself previously and learning from them. I'd like to think that I don't do this too much anymore, but everyone slips up.

I just feel that having a Pokemon 'Dodge' an attack, particularly a Special Attack sets a really dangerous precedent. As in 'Oh, his <insert Pokemon here> dodged this <insert Special Attack here> in that last battle, so mine can as well.' Nuh-uh. I don't think that is how it should happen personally, but unless we keep tabs on ourselves this is what battles will boil down to.

And, to finish, I would like to quote a rule enforced by our wonderful GMs, Yellow and Megaman, to show that not only is this a bug-bear of mine, but it is also against the rules of the RP:
Attacks have 100% accuracy by default in the games for a reason. Simply dodging without proper justification (Just being that good or being lucky is not proper justification. Speed is also not evasion under any circumstance, though simply keeping far out of reach of /physical close range/ attacks is viable.) is godmodding and bunnying combined, as it implied the opponent's pokemon is completely incompetent at aiming. If you want to dodge, take a dive and make one of your 6 entire move slots an evasion move. |D

Like I said - I'm not a GM, and maybe I'm seeming a little busy-bodyish saying this, but I just felt that I had to say it. FOR THE GREATER GOOD. :3

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Hey guys!!

Okay...so just something that's been bugging me a little recently that I feel I have to express my opinion on for the good of the RP. I understand that I am not the GM of this RP, and so my opinion counts about as much as trying to pay for Louboutin heels with peanut shells but instead of just irritating myself by thinking about this I figured I might aswell get a discussion started about this issue.

Evasion in battle.

Obviously we aren't in a competitive RP as such, and as an RP collective we are generally very good with the whole 'Do-Not-GodMod-And-Bunny-During-Battle-By-Having-Your-Pokemon-Dodge-Attacks-Ridiculously' thing, but I do think that it is something we should all remind ourselves about every now and again.

'Dodge' and 'Avoid' are not moves. A Pokemon's Speed has no bearing on their ability to evade Special Attacks (Physical Attacks, admittedly, there is more scope for dodging these should one have a particularly speedy Pokemon, but even then it should be sparing) The whole POINT of attacks in the Pokemon universe is that they are notoriously DIFFICULT to dodge!!! - how do I know this? Learned the hard way by making these mistakes myself previously and learning from them. I'd like to think that I don't do this too much anymore, but everyone slips up.

I just feel that having a Pokemon 'Dodge' an attack, particularly a Special Attack sets a really dangerous precedent. As in 'Oh, his <insert Pokemon here> dodged this <insert Special Attack here> in that last battle, so mine can as well.' Nuh-uh. I don't think that is how it should happen personally, but unless we keep tabs on ourselves this is what battles will boil down to.

And, to finish, I would like to quote a rule enforced by our wonderful GMs, Yellow and Megaman, to show that not only is this a bug-bear of mine, but it is also against the rules of the RP:

Like I said - I'm not a GM, and maybe I'm seeming a little busy-bodyish saying this, but I just felt that I had to say it. FOR THE GREATER GOOD. :3

o.o

. . . I kinda was a little aware of that rule. . . but after posting that huge training post thing, I hope I managed to give a bit of justifications with some of the dodges I had my pokemon do >.>;;;

So. . . Unless Mega or Yellow sees some problem with the huge post I just did in regards to Takumi and training his pokemon. . . And if I understand the leveling up system right. . . I think this might be how Takumi's team should be right now.

Species: Charmeleon
Lv: 25
(started on lv 20 when I entered the RP, fought against 3 different wild beedrills, one in a one on one fight and two in a two on one fight. . . so that's 1 level for each wild beedrill if I'm interpretting it correctly. Then there was a NPC trainer battle against a Pansage so that's. . . 2 Levels unless I'm wrong. All 4 of these pokemon fainted so. . . 20+1+1+1+2=25. That last battle against the Deino. . . Since they captured the Deino I don't believe that allows him to gain any experience, kinda like how the games work and all. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me)
Moves:
Flame Burst, Dragon Rage, Fire Fang, Toxic, Dragon Claw, Smoke Screen

Species: Lucario
Lv: 20
Moves:
Bone Rush, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Rock Smash, Metal Claw, Force Palm

Species: Metang
Lv: 20
Moves:
Takedown, Magnet Rise, Metal Claw, Confusion, Shadow Ball, Toxic

Species: Deino
Lv: 15
(Wild Pokemon can only be caught at Level 15 right? And just because he fought charmeleon doesn't let him gain any experience in levels since he was a wild pokemon being captured at the time)
Moves:
Tackle, Dragon Breath, Bite, Dragon Rage, Crunch, Double Team

And on a side note, I'm a little surprised that explanation was Post number 666 in the OOC Thread Sel. But yeah I understand the point you're trying to make, and I've sorta seen that kinda thing happen before too in at least a few of my other RP's.

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
Hey guys!!

Evasion in battle.

Wow, I read this and now I feel bad... I don't think that I've done something like this, (and just for saying that, its probably going to turn out that I did do one of these things xD) regardless, if I've done this before, I'll will not do it in the future.

SelenaStar

Who says you're not perfect?
Years
Nooo guys, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular!! I actually was talking about a different RP myself, and mainly because I've done this on numerous occasions too! I just wanted to express my opinion. As I said, this RP is generally good with the whole dodging thing!

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
I'm sorry guys, but I think I'll have to drop out of this RP. :/ I haven't posted in quite some time, and this is going insanely fast. Rl is troubling me quite a lot right now, soooo... I'm quitting. I love this RP, but sorry. :/ Hopefully, I'll join it again in the future (for thr third time xDD) but for now, see ya guys later. :D

Dawn

Years
@The Dodging Conversation: Aye. I'll be releasing a guide that will discuss things like that at some point. It's like, 80-90% done.

@DeepImpact: Aw. That's unfortunate. Mayber later then. =<

cutiecasie

The Kanto girl with attitude!
Years
hii my next post will either be tomorrow or thursday as im waiting for a xbox game to come in the post so yea basic plot outline thought of though!

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Nooo guys, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular!! I actually was talking about a different RP myself, and mainly because I've done this on numerous occasions too! I just wanted to express my opinion. As I said, this RP is generally good with the whole dodging thing!

Oooooh. . .

Still though. . . I really hope the post I did was still okay >>;

@DeepImpact: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

@PKMNTrainerYellow: . . . Really? o.o

Dawn

Years
@Bassiroth: Yup. It'll be big, long, and full of fancy BBcode to make it easy to navigate and read.

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
Another question. As you can see Jimmy passed out in class. Should I play an NPC that tells teh teacher and then helps him leave the battlefield or should I make him regain consciousness in the emergency room?

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
Years
Really? Ok then Sorry. Here's a full one

Gen's team:
Hyper
Level 19 Elekid (Male)
Moves: Thunderpunch, Cross Chop, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Rain Dance, Electro Ball
He gained 3 levels after fighting and fainting against Blaine's pokemon, No moves gained.
Darrumel
Level 21 Dewott (Male)
Moves: Hydro Pump, Dig, Water Pledge, Detect, Razor Shell, Trump Card
Gained 3 levels fighting and fainting against Blaine's pokemon. NO moves gained.
CupCream
Level 22 Vanillite (Female)
Moves: Flash Cannon, Avalanche, Blizzard, Double Team, Icicle Spear
She gained a level from training.
Shock
Level 20 Joltik (Male)
Moves: Electroweb, Wild Charge, X-Scissors, Cross Poison and Fury Cutters
He gained a level from training

Ven's Pokemon:

Endure
Level 14
Moves: Arm Thrust, Bullet Punch, Close Combat, Foresight and Detect
New addition from the caves, yay!

Falco
Level 21
Moves: Water Pulse, Hydro Pump, Dragon Tail, Ice Fang, Thrash and Giga Impact
Gained a level fighting Throh

Veera
Level 21
Moves: Water Pulse, Attract, Brine, Rain Dance, Dragon Pulse and Recover
Gained a level fighting Sawk

Zemrath
Level 16
Moves: Psycho Cut, Slash, Metal Claw, Hone Claws, Rock Polish and Shadow Claw

Done, that's all
Also another Question, what if somebody wanted to trade? Would it be with a student?
Is it possible to join this still??

I'd like to make a student, or a teacher if you'd prefer; please let me know. :)

Look in the first post, if there's an open staff or student area, you should be able to join.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 7, 2014
Having a decent background in competitive text-fighting, I'm going to have to drop a nuke on what several people have mentioned.

Dodging is an integral part of battles that don't adhere 100% to the hard numbers of the source material. (Heck, until BW, Tackle was 35 power, 95 accuracy.) High Speed can mean one of two things: Either good response time and reflexes (going first), or simply the ability to go fast in a straight line (priority attacks), and which interpretation should be used depends on the context. Changing direction or speed is at least as much a function of physical strength as coordination, though.

But yeah, while there should be some minor wiggle room for evading physical attacks, especially in more freeform writing, if you really want to be a dodgy so-and-so, invest the time and effort necessary to teach Protect or Detect or simply find some cover and duck behind it. In the recent instance of Sludge Wave in the Dead Forest, for example, all one had to do was put a tree between it and Swalot, or at the very least one of their teammates. Note that this is not a universal fix: Depending on how the move operates, the nature of the cover might have to differ. The aforementioned tactic might work against sludge-based poison attacks (but not gas) and most water-based moves, but they'll be useless against something like Thunder, which strikes from above.

(not dead yet)

Dawn

Years
@Drunk: Yup! Plenty of spots available.

@LawOfTheLand: Loldodging is not an effective strategy in the games and it isn't an effective strategy in reality. The military does not teach dodging.

Oh... And your reaction time can only be trained to a degree. Humans can get as low as .2-.3 seconds if I recall correctly. Which is kind of a long time when you've got projectiles flying at you at high speeds or are being punched in the face.

Also, I should clarify that hiding behind cover or using protect is not dodging. It's blocking, same as carrying a shield around. The fact remains that dodging without justification is in fact god modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back