• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What came first: Arceus or Mew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
So yeah, I've been a little confused lately. In the original games, it suggested that Mew was the ancestor of ALL Pokemon, but if Arceus is the creator Pokemon, and is still a Pokemon, would that mean it would be Mew's ancestor, or that it created Mew? Curious to hear other people's thoughts on the idea.

Honestly, I don't think we will ever know. I think the reason Arceus was created was to provide a religious explanation of Pokemon, and something to parallel (or oppose) Mew and the "evolution" concept that one must assume from it.

But regardless, I need some kind of theory to work with, as I want to make an rp that'll evolve something in the mirror of the origin of Pokemon...so I'd love to hear some theories/ideas~

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

Years
The way I look at it is that Arceus can become any type while Mew can learn any moves.
From my point of view Arceus already got the upper hand as of how it represent all the types while Mew stay put with the ability to learn anything.

My theory would be that Arceus created the world as "God" and sent his "child" being Mew into the created world where it represented all the Pokemon. Meaning that Arceus control the world it created (as said in the anime) while Mew does the inside
job by roaming around the world.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
The way I look at it is that Arceus can become any type while Mew can learn any moves.
From my point of view Arceus already got the upper hand as of how it represent all the types while Mew stay put with the ability to learn anything.

My theory would be that Arceus created the world as "God" and sent his "child" being Mew into the created world where it represented all the Pokemon. Meaning that Arceus control the world it created (as said in the anime) while Mew does the inside
job by roaming around the world.

That's a possibility. Much like God and Adam/Eve, no?

Although, I guess my confusion would be: if Mew is the ancestor of ALL Pokemon, wouldn't this include Arceus? Of course, this hypothesis was made during the Kanto era, and it was a region that appeared to be oblivious to Sinnoh myths and Arceus' existance, so it's hard to say. Interesting.

Years
I believe Arceus fall in the same category as Giratina where it is from an other dimension which makes it somehow not related to Mew, in the Arceus game event Arceus does rise from a black pith if I remember correctly but to put it simple. Arceus is counted as out of the world so the myth about Mew's status doesn't reach out to Arceus.

If you are planning on making a game with where both of these legends play a part you can make it so that Mew is the ancestor BUT scientists later find out about Arceus and if at some point you are supposed to meet up with Arceus, Mew can appear in front of it and say something like "My Lord/Daddy?" anything that makes Arceus look like superior.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
Years
The thing is, since both Pokémon were known about at different times (Mew in post-2000, Arcesus on 2007), I'm guessing back then, no one expected to actually add something like Arceus into the series. But seeing and having kinda studied this beforehand, Arceus has only been credited for creating the Sinnoh Dragons and the Pixies. My guess is that Mew was also created when Arceus created the world, and most likely, every other Pokémon was descended from Mew; specially due to Mew's appearance and traits, it resembling an embryo.

But eh, this is just something I had been thinking for a while, now.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
One of those stories that will be discussed either way. My question would be is, how was Arceus, itself, created?

I will stick to the thought that Mew was first so he was the true creator or something. I don't know.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
Perhaps, except even Giratina had an origin; who created Arceus? I really doubt he just magically appeared out of nowhere. I believe I remember in one of the origin events, it suggested that it came from an egg. If that's so, then who's the parents? Every egg needs a parent.

Mew makes sense since he could just be a mutation or perhaps even an alien (a few are said to come from space).

Mew is said to have the genetic DNA of ALL Pokemon; they do not directly specify if Arceus isn't or is still in this category. So the question remains debatable.

But thanks for the theories. I think I know what I'm going to go with.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
Hers what I think happened. Arceus creates the world, the Sinnoh dragons and the pixies. He then creates hundreds of mews that go out all over the regions. These eventually mutate into the pokemon we know today, leaving only one or two Mews left.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hers what I think happened. Arceus creates the world, the Sinnoh dragons and the pixies. He then creates hundreds of mews that go out all over the regions. These eventually mutate into the pokemon we know today, leaving only one or two Mews left.

I was thinking about that too.

And as for the Arceus egg theory, I'm guessing that some unmentioned supreme being created the egg, and Arceus hatched out of it.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I'm going with Arceus. He's the creator of the Pokemon World, which includes Mew. Here's my theory: Arceus created Mew first, and Mew somehow gives birth or 'evolves' into the Pokemon we know today. (By evolve, I mean the Charles Darwin kind of evolve, not the Pokemon kind of evolve.) Or something like that.

I was thinking about that too.

And as for the Arceus egg theory, I'm guessing that some unmentioned supreme being created the egg, and Arceus hatched out of it.

That supreme being is who all know as Satoshi Tajiri :P

Last edited:

Bela

Banned
Years
This is a very easy question to answer. It's Arceus.

Plate Engravings said:
"The Original One breathed alone before the universe came."

Bulbapedia said:
Arceus is also known as "The Original One," as it is said that it created Sinnoh, and possibly the entire Pokémon universe, along with the lake guardians and creation trio.

Mew's status as the ancestor of all Pokemon has only ever been speculation.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Arceus made the pokemon and all that stuff, thus he's not the ancestor, he's the creator. Mew would have been theorized as the first pokemon on the planet and populated the world with it's kin, all of which would have over time evolved into the various species we see today. This makes Mew the Ancestor.

A religious way to put it is this... Is god the ancestor of all people? Wouldn't that be Adam/Eve?

Haxorus3465

Turn Down For What
Years
Here's my theory...

Arceus is the creator of Pokémon, so he made Mew. Then Mew went out and gave birth to a whole bunch of Pokémon, who made more and more, and more, and more, and yes, MORE.

thx 4 reading!

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
Another option is saying that Mew represents the science explanation and Arceus is the relion explanation. Just like our world with some people beleiving in evolution and others in religion.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I don't believe that Mew was the creator of all Pokemon because in my opinion if Mew were the creation, they would of never replaced it with Arceus being to creation. In my opinion, I would of never though something as small as Mew were to make everything. I think this should really be sorted out now

Another option is saying that Mew represents the science explanation and Arceus is the relion explanation. Just like our world with some people beleiving in evolution and others in religion.

I've never thought of it like that, usually I would go with the science explanation of "who created who and what" but for some odd reason, I just believe in the religious factor of it

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2012
Seeing as Bulbapedia makes note of the fact that Mew may inhabit tons of different planets, my theory is Mew sent it's child, Arceus, to be god of all Pokemon on earth

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I always viewed it as Arceus created Mew as the genesis Pokémon and every other species descended from Mew (who has the original DNA of all of them).

But I can also equally see Mew, especially as it's characterized in the anime, being too lazy to oversee the legendaries that govern time/space/nature/whatever and creating Arceus to fill that role instead.

Either way, it's all based on mythology in the canon and who knows exactly how accurate all of it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back