• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Q: What is Missingno.?
A: For most variables on Game Boy games, the fewest possibilities for the variable is 256 (HEX 100), labeled 0 to 255 (HEX 00 to FF). This goes for most variables in RBY, including ones for all the Pokemon lookup slots. However, only 151 Pokemon exist in RBY. So, if there are 256 possibilities, and only 151 slots were defined by the programmers, what do the other 105 slots have? Glitches. And so, Missingno. was created.

Q: How do I find it?
A: You don't know how to find it? Go play some more RBY. But, if you're one of the outcasts who doesn't know how to find it, here goes. Talk to the Old Man at the northern edge of Viridian, and let him catch a Weedle. Then, Fly to Cinnabar (you can also go to Fuchsia and Surf to Seafoam Islands, but that takes a lot longer) and Surf up and down the right edge. After a while, you'll run into some unnatural Pokemon at high levels, and Missingno. (or a Pokemon with a glitched name containing 'M in the middle). NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK IN YELLOW.

Q: Why does the above trick work?
A: There are two things that, when combined, made it possible for this trick to exist. Here they are:

1. When creating the map for what Pokemon appear where, they made a crucial flaw. The 1-square-wide strip of water on the right side of Cinnabar and Seafoam Islands was programmed to be a place where wild Pokemon CAN appear. But (and thank GAMEFREAK for this one) they forgot to define what Pokemon can appear there. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that means the previous settings for "what Pokemon can appear" will remain, and if you read #2, you'll see why that causes the glitch.

2. When the Old Man catches the Weedle, they change the variables that are assigned to "Your Name" to Old Man, so it shows up as "Old Man threw the Poke Ball." Now, in order to do that, it overwrites the variables you gave to "Your Name". Therefore, the game must store the variables that make up your name to another place, so it can recall them later. So the programmers at NOA probably thought,
"What are some variables that we can overwrite to assign to the character's name for this process?"
"I got it! How about the slots that define what Pokemon you can run into?"
"That's it! Whenever the character enters a new area, they'll be rewritten, so it won't disturb the game at all!"
*points to #1* Umm.....no. As a result, that wonderful glitch can be yours for only *insert whatever price your local retailer charges for R/B*! Of course, it's not JUST Missingno. you can run into. There will also be some L100+ Pokemon, whose species and levels are determined by your name.

Q: How do I determine the levels?
A: First off, look at letters 2, 4, and 6 of your name. Those letters will determine the levels of the Pokemon you can run into. First, take the NUMERICAL equivalent (A=1, B=2, etc.) of those letters, and add 127 for uppercase or 159 for lowercase. In addition, the symbols are as follows:

( 154
) 155
: 156
; 157
[ 158
] 159
PK 209
MN 210
? 239
P(monetary symbol) 240
x(times sign) 241
. 242
? 245
Also, at the end of your name, the game inserts an 80 (HEX 50) to designate "End of Name". Because of how the variables are used, this means that one of the levels your Missingno. (or glitched 'M name) will be is always L80.

While it is determined by name, the lowest number assigned to a character (other than the 80 that is assigned to the "End of Name" character) is 128, for a capital A. In EVERY variable that designates a Pokemon, Mew is assigned the number 21 (HEX 15). If you can make the connection, that means that NO name you enter will result in Mew being a possibility. The low numbers like 21 represent glitch characters that are not available for naming anything and can only be found with a Shark. For convenience, here is the table of what Pokemon will appear for each letter. Letters 3, 5, and 7 are used to determine this:

A: Golduck
B: Hypno
C: Golbat
D: Mewtwo
E: Snorlax
F: Magikarp
G: Missingno.
H: Missingno.
I: Muk
J: Missingno.
K: Kingler
L: Cloyster
M: Missingno.
N: Electrode
O: Clefable
P: Weezing
Q: Persian
R: Marowak
S: Missingno.
T: Haunter
U: Abra
V: Alakazam
W: Pidgeotto
X: Pidgeot
Y: Starmie
Z: Bulbasaur
a: Missingno.
b: Missingno.
c: Missingno.
d: Ponyta
e: Rapidash
f: Rattata
g: Raticate
h: Nidorino
i: Nidorina
j: Geodude
k: Porygon
l: Aerodactyl
m: Missingno.
n: Magnemite
o: Missingno.
p: Missingno.
q: Charmander
r: Squirtle
s: Charmeleon
t: Wartortle
u: Charizard
v: Missingno.
w: Missingno.
x: Missingno.
y: Missingno.
z: Oddish

Note: If you want to try the glitch, DO NOT use one of the special characters in your name. If you do, you might end up facing a Trainer. You will not be able to get out of the match, and eventually one of their Pokemon will be a glitch that can freeze (and possibly erase) your game. Also, species from 3 goes with level from 2, species from 5 goes with level from 4, and species from 7 goes with level from 6.

Q: How about some examples?
A: Okay.
Test #1- Name: PIKACHU
Letters 2, 4, and 6 (levels):
2: I = 9 + 127 = 136
4: A = 1 + 127 = 128
6: H = 8 + 127 = 135
Letters 3, 5, and 7 (species):
3: K = Kingler on chart
5: C = Golbat on chart
7: U = Abra on chart
Combining the numbers, the name ?PIKACHU? should yield L136 Kingler, L128 Golbat, and L135 Abra. Test it out; it does.

Test #2- Name: DxDyDzD
Letters 2, 4, 6 (levels):
x: 24 + 159 = 183
y: 25 + 159 = 184
z: 26 + 159 = 185
Letters 3, 5, and 7 (species):
D = Mewtwo on chart
Result: Mewtwo at levels 183-185. Name change, anyone?

Test #3- Name: BLUE
Result: Starmie, Abra, Golduck (????????)
The name ?BLUE? only has 4 letters, the third of which is a U, yielding Abra (the L giving L139). But that doesn?t explain Starmie and Golduck! Starmie corresponds to Y and Golduck to A, neither of which appear! The E in slot 4 means L132, which explains the L132 Missingno that I run into sometimes (slot 5 is probably an 80, which yields Missingno.).

Incidentally, you can Rare-Candy these L100+ monsters past 255 to get to L0, then to whatever you want. Or, you can just take them into battle, where ANY experience reverts them to L100.

Q: Where would I get that many Rare Candies?
A:That's the other part of the Missingno. glitch. You see, when I was referring to the 256 possibilities earlier on, it's stored as 8 bits (0 or 1 each). Whenever you run into Missingno., it takes the first bit of the "Copies of Sixth Item Held" byte (D329) and sets it to 1. In simpler terms, if you have 127 or fewer copies of your sixth item, you get an extra 128 copies (if you already have 128+, nothing happens). And since the most copies of an item you can naturally have is 99 = HEX 63 = BIN 01100011, the "127 or less" requirement will always happen unless you sharked items or have used the trick on that item before.

Porygon

Banned
Years
Kairi said:
Q: What is Missingno.?
A: For most variables on Game Boy games, the fewest possibilities for the variable is 256 (HEX 100), labeled 0 to 255 (HEX 00 to FF). This goes for most variables in RBY, including ones for all the Pokemon lookup slots. However, only 151 Pokemon exist in RBY. So, if there are 256 possibilities, and only 151 slots were defined by the programmers, what do the other 105 slots have? Glitches. And so, Missingno. was created.?
I suppose this explains the added Pok?mon in GSC. But, wouldn't that still mean glitch slots? And, does this explain how you can find Mew?
Missingno Baby said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! A topic about MISSINGNO! I was once called the MISSINGNO collector.... 57 MISSINGNOS
And your game still worked? Whoa. How long did it take you to get out of the "backwards and garbled sprites" phase? And how did you keep them Missingno? As far as I've found, they turn into Rhydon [a Rhydon with Sky Attack? I never thought I would see the day until then] as soon as they're deposited.

Phantom Angel

aka Dark Heaven
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 30, 2004
Missingno Baby said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! A topic about MISSINGNO! I was once called the MISSINGNO collector....:) 57 MISSINGNOS
You will cry like insane after you catch them all.:P
I have to restart my because of this glitch.

Sleek

Eon Trainer
Years
if you wanted to know another possible reason why missigno exists, it can be from two possible things. one would be that missigno is early data fused into more or less a "virus", and that an early version of the rng generator gives you the ability to catch it. the other reaason is the ones that kairi mentioned, although i find some fault in hers. she said missingno is the other 105 slots, yet you can see the sprites of trainers and trees and stuff. missigno is a game screwer, so i would not catch i only saw it, and my hall of fame is screwed up. it says i beat the elite four with mew :P. unfortunatly it says i beat the elite four with the old man (weedle catcher) which makes me think that kairi's theory is part tru. oh well...

Sleek

Eon Trainer
Years
No, Missingno cannot be shiny, because it isn't really a pokemon. It is a bunch of sprites. Plus, there were no shinies in R/B/Y.

RoxasOld

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 29, 2006
Missingno Baby said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! A topic about MISSINGNO! I was once called the MISSINGNO collector....:) 57 MISSINGNOS

i caught missingos also!! they're realy cool. i help my friends get level 227 pokemon with the missingo code. and the name is actually "Missingno." . with the dot that the end of the name. the real name is "Missing Number".So the dot is there to make it shorter. that's why the name is Missingno. anyways i caught about as much as missingno baby has and my game didnt mess up. :P

Sleek

Eon Trainer
Years
Well, no ever said that there was a definite possiblity your game would mess up. If anyone's name should be Missingno Baby it should be me. I know all there is to know...

RoxasOld

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 29, 2006
i also know all about missingno.! i wonder if i should get a name about missingno.?

Arore

I Like to Kill Things
Years
Wow, who can ever forget Missingno.? :laugh: I just realized that its name might actually stand for 'Missing Number'...but who cares? :laugh: Anyway, it is definitely odd but my all-time favorite cheat/glitch. I once battles one that was level 500 I think, and I knocked it out with my level 80 Venusaur! Heck, I once knocked it out with a level 6 Pokemon, too. It is a good way to level up, but it is definitely weird.

MissingChu

aka d3ad connection
Years
Arore said:
Wow, who can ever forget Missingno.? :laugh: I just realized that its name might actually stand for 'Missing Number'...but who cares? :laugh: Anyway, it is definitely odd but my all-time favorite cheat/glitch. I once battles one that was level 500 I think, and I knocked it out with my level 80 Venusaur! Heck, I once knocked it out with a level 6 Pokemon, too. It is a good way to level up, but it is definitely weird.
Yeah, who could? Missingno. and M were(or, um, are) my favorite glitches in PKMN. To find M WITHOUT entering battle, type in this gameshark code: 010157D0(capture any trainer's pokemon) and read my signature.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2004
I suppose this explains the added Pok?mon in GSC. But, wouldn't that still mean glitch slots? And, does this explain how you can find Mew?
Ok a nintendo gameboy/gameboy color is powered by the Zilog z80 processor (8-bit processor).
1 bit represents a possibility. The nintendo Pokemon Yellow/Red/Blue/Green games have an 8-bit pokemon data base meaning there can be up to 256 types of pokemon. Since there are only 151 at that time, the rest 105 is rendered invalid pokemon data or simply you have Missingno.
Why couldn't have they used 7 bits? Well that would mean there would be 128 Pokemon and not 151.
Having 9 bits of data might be in G/S. Since I believe there are more than 256 Pokemon. Or they might have done a trick or something. Having 9 bits would mean 512 possibilities. If they did have a 9 bit based databank than I guess they looked to render the rest of the invalid slots inaccessable.
After all they did try and hide Missingno. It doesn't appear randomly in the wild now does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back