• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon PC Version

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
PKMNLogo.png

I got a logo for this game made by a friend of mine on an RPG Maker Community. I've updated the first post with it as well as a section called "things to expect". Check the first post.

What do you think about it? :P

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Looks sweet, looking forward to more. I have honey tree script if you're interested, but it doesn't have a timer, so it's less annoying xD

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Looks sweet, looking forward to more. I have honey tree script if you're interested, but it doesn't have a timer, so it's less annoying xD

Eh, I'm personally not a fan of the honey tree system. I do plan on reintroducing berry trees and headbutting, though. The berry trees give out a specific berry, and once picked, the player will be unable to pick from that tree until 24 hours have passed. A bug that I'm working out, however, is that the 24-hour gap is applying to all trees in the game and not an individual, so it's in progress.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
pokeGB_snapshot36.png

Made a slight edit to the region map to get the cursor to display over the locations properly. I've also added icons to show where the player is on the region map, and to closer represent the games.

In the meantime, I have finally made trainer sprites for the two main characters of this game. Here's Chase and Amber:
chase_presentation.png
amber_presentation.png

I am also attempting to get stuff like phone rematches to work, and I'm trying to fix some issues I'm encountering with the new release of essentials. Stay tuned!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Happy New Years, everyone. I'm sorry I don't have many presents, but I do have updates.

Today I will demonstrate a new encounter method: Sprinklers

pokeGB_snapshot37.png

An artificial region needs to keep its vegetation fresh and alive, so a lawn sprinkler system is installed to accomplish that. What matters to you, though, is that different pokemon may appear once these sprinklers are turned on!
pokeGB_snapshot38.png

Marill isn't a pokemon you regularly find on route 2, but you have a chance of find one and other (mostly water) pokemon when the sprinklers are on. Good for you if you chose a grass or a fire type starter and want to balance your team. :)

The sprinklers turn on roughly during the afternoon 'till nighttime.

Also, while it's very incomplete, I'd like to share with you what I have planned for the Lantis Region's national dex, including some of the fakemon I've been spriting prior to this post:
Spoiler:

Empty boxes with names are spots that need to be filled, mostly consisting of fakemon that don't have sprites yet. Have a happy new years, everyone. :)

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
And a Happy New Year to you! This inspires me to get off my butt and work on my dex T__T

As for the sprinkler system, I like it because it is unique, but it feels slightly weird as well. Foro ne, I could abuse it by changing the clock on my PC, and two, I would rather use my Honey Tree system (without the timer, screw that) to where I would be consuming an item. It adds to the fact you need to pay to find these otherwise uncatchable Pokémon, and gives the game more of a challenge.

For a sprinkler, seeing as the routes, and judging by your screenshot, some of these sprinklers seems to be in the grass which people avoid, so perhaps they could be rusty? So to turn them on you could use a one-time use item MOTOR OIL. After that, then you could make it so it turns on at certain times of the day, and it just made it that much harder.

For MOTOR OIL, perhaps you could do a miniquest, or pay a rather tedious amount (1000 Poké).

I know you probably wont like it, but hope it gives you an idea to improve from.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
And a Happy New Year to you! This inspires me to get off my butt and work on my dex T__T

As for the sprinkler system, I like it because it is unique, but it feels slightly weird as well. Foro ne, I could abuse it by changing the clock on my PC, and two, I would rather use my Honey Tree system (without the timer, screw that) to where I would be consuming an item. It adds to the fact you need to pay to find these otherwise uncatchable Pokémon, and gives the game more of a challenge.

For a sprinkler, seeing as the routes, and judging by your screenshot, some of these sprinklers seems to be in the grass which people avoid, so perhaps they could be rusty? So to turn them on you could use a one-time use item MOTOR OIL. After that, then you could make it so it turns on at certain times of the day, and it just made it that much harder.

For MOTOR OIL, perhaps you could do a miniquest, or pay a rather tedious amount (1000 Poké)

I know you probably wont like it, but hope it gives you an idea to improve from.

This, I think is a very good thing to consider... Although, a very good idea in my opinion!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014

For MOTOR OIL, perhaps you could do a miniquest, or pay a rather tedious amount (1000 Poké).

I actually kind of like the motor oil idea, as it might make it a little more challenging for the players to obtain specific pokemon. The only thing that makes this a little bit difficult, however, would be editing the encounter method to activate only when the player uses that item. Thanks, though. :)

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
How so? You would only be adding a Use item command to the existing event you have. For example:

(without motor oil) Player found a sprinkler. Would you like to turn it on?
Y - You try to turn it on but it's stuck with rust. Perhaps something greasy will help.
n- cancels

(With motor oil)
Plyer found a sprinkler. Would you like to turn it on?
Y - Would you like to use the MOTOR OIL to loosen it up?
y- Player used up the can of Motor Oil, and the sprinkler turns on! (set switch to turn on your normal sprinkler script as now it is no longer rusty)
n- cancels
N-cancels

Now simply use a simple switch to make sure the sprinkler will never be rusty again, and replace it with your existing script with the sprinkler ready to go.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
While all of this is great and all, it's extremely important for you to turn on a 2x2 mapping grid and map by that, since that's how the 1st and 2nd gen games were mapped.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
That's what I've been trying to explain, but I don't think I can explain it to Ratty clearly enough 9__9

If you open up a Pokémon Gold rom in Goldmap, you will see what we mean by 2x2 grid. I did the same thing when Mint was called Mintgreen and this guy ^^ helped me fix it up.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Oh no, I get it, at least now I do.

This is actually the first time I've ever used RMXP's mapping grid to get a 2x2 tile field. :P

But yeah, the maps I have up now are officially outdated, because I have been taking both Evil Arm's and Cilerba's advice and edited my maps accordingly, and I'm still doing so. Thank you both for your input.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Demo v1.0!

Finally I have a playable demo for all of you to enjoy (or hate)! I am not going to post the following link on the first post until someone verifies that they can play the game correctly:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mkaxeqfbk50a5gg

This demo includes:
- About 10 areas you can explore, Going up from Alpha City to Delta Village and Route 4.
- Working Sprinkler encounter system, as mentioned earlier
- 1 potential gym leader battle.
-at least 50 custom-made battle animations
- not a single, awful midi in sight.

Known issues:
- During the introduction, when the player is choosing a starter, the player character tends to change position. This should not cause the game to crash, however, as all events can pass through him/her
-Lotad and all of its evolutionary lines do not have devamped back-sprites, despite being obtainable.
-Not all fakemon have their cries, and not all of them have their sprites, either. This may become noticeable later in the game.
- The Pokepad (aka Pokegear) is not yet customized
- All trainers will ask you to register them in your Pokepad, despite not being intended to do so. You can if you want, but it won't really matter since you cannot rematch any trainer in this demo.
- Not all buildings are accessible, primarily with Alpha City.

Last edited:
Years
Howdy.
Win7 64bit, extracted your download.
----
Ran Game.exe
msgbox immediately popped up: RGSS104E.dll not found.
Ran editor.exe,
runs fine.
-----

google'd the DLL, grabbed RGSS104E.dll
moved to directory game extracted to, runs.

Below is a run down of my experience.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Howdy.
Win7 64bit, extracted your download.
----
Ran Game.exe
msgbox immediately popped up: RGSS104E.dll not found.
Ran editor.exe,
runs fine.
-----
Odd of that to happen. It's possible that you don't have the RMXP RTP installed, but what you just did was fine.

x is to cycle through dialog (or at least accepts), when it goes to an option menu asking your gender, x dosen't work anymore. Minor note.

music loop in background at start has a pretty large gap before re-looping.

So you're <NAME?> Yes/No, this responds to X, where above didn't. continuation of above. However, now I have to re-enter my name.

C enters in people's names, so trying that.
Using C on dialog and messages works.
The C button is primarily used for selection, while X is used to skip/cancel. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

goes from class registration to waking up, a bit of a funky transition. The amount of dialog describing pokemon seems good for an intro to the game/talking to prof, I nkow on original it described pokemon prior to game start, but maybe tweak it so that there's a little less information innodated at very start? That was a lot of 'C's'. :3
I can see how the transition from registering on a computer to waking up may seem odd. I'll try to improve that transition. Basically, what is supposed to happen is that you are registering for the Lantis Academy online, and then you are traveling to the region by boat in the next scene.

Dazzling mother, hah. I left you money in one of your shelves. Amusing. I wanna go back to sleep ><.

hrrm, so now i'm on a boat. Guess it was described at start. Layout of room was hard to tell.
Yeah, I definitely should have established that better. xD

--next room--
Sadly at this point I realize you did the exact same layout for each room.. which considering it's a boat, understandable. But then I question the book shelves on a boat.. Haha.
I reasoned that the different people who live within the boats would bring along different stuff to fill their rooms with. You do have a point, though.

--SSExpress area outside of rooms--
Sailor on right side talks about what the technology is developed from, he notes "Lantis Corporsations", I don't think that's plural.

Sailor in center area notes we'll be docking at Alpha City soon. Interestingly, everyone else notes the place we're landing at Lantis Island.
Thanks for catching that. Also, Alpha City is a landmark within the Lantis Region, sorry for not making that clear.

--receptionist room--
Has a laptop on table and computer in background. Just a minor note.
Saved game, will play more later.
I thought it was a cash register... Maybe?

Anyway, thank you for your feedback so far.

Years
13 minutes in, continuing my adventure.
Spoiler:

and that's all for now. XD

[/spoiler]

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Small update with the first post. I've updated the region map to its current appearance, added/replaced some screenshots, and updated the credits list. The link to the current demo should be in the first post as well.

As it stands, I have already begun my first week back from my winter break, and because I am developing an animated short film simultaneously to this project, the progress with this project will be slower from here on.

My main focus, as of right now, is in developing the major maps for the game, since I can do that relatively quick. Here is a preview of Route 6, the route located just East of Delta Village:
Spoiler:

Other than that, I've been addressing some of the issues Xackery has pointed out. That is all.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Small update with the first post. I've updated the region map to its current appearance, added/replaced some screenshots, and updated the credits list. The link to the current demo should be in the first post as well.

As it stands, I have already begun my first week back from my winter break, and because I am developing an animated short film simultaneously to this project, the progress with this project will be slower from here on.

My main focus, as of right now, is in developing the major maps for the game, since I can do that relatively quick. Here is a preview of Route 6, the route located just East of Delta Village:
Spoiler:

Other than that, I've been addressing some of the issues Xackery has pointed out. That is all.

With so many problems that you know of why release a demo at all? I am a supporter of this game but if you were gonna release a demo it should have been more polished off..

Also wild flowers don't grow in patches like that. try maybe skipping a spot here or there.. other than that i like the route

Back