ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Draconius GO
Closed Thread

Old January 26th, 2012 (6:05 PM).
Heiki Hecchara‌‌
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBeauAngel View Post
I'm having trouble adding events to Fire Red...I'm very new to this and I'm just practicing making simple talking events, and I've gotten two to work fine. But now all the events I try to add wont work. Like when I walk up to the person and press A to talk to them, they just don't talk. I'm using the Script Generator on my scripting tool, and it made the other two speaking events work just fine. But other than those two, none that I try to add will work. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong :/
What script editor are you using? Could you post an example of a script that isn't working properly? The more information you provide, the more likely somebody will be able to help you out :)

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 26th, 2012 (6:46 PM).

I'm using PKSV, and here's one of the scripts:

Spoiler:
    #org 0x8740000
    '-----------------------------------
    #raw 0xFF
    lock
    faceplayer
    msgbox 0x874000D ' If you follow this p...
    callstd MSG_LOCK ' Built-in lock command
    release
    end

#org 0x874000D
    = If you follow this path, you'll get to\nFoamstone Town. It's a popular vacation spot!
    Old January 26th, 2012 (7:08 PM).
    weeb
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSBeauAngel View Post
    I'm using PKSV, and here's one of the scripts:

Spoiler:
    #org 0x8740000
    '-----------------------------------
    #raw 0xFF
    lock
    faceplayer
    msgbox 0x874000D ' If you follow this p...
    callstd MSG_LOCK ' Built-in lock command
    release
    end

#org 0x874000D
    = If you follow this path, you'll get to\nFoamstone Town. It's a popular vacation spot!
    The only problem I see is the #raw 0xFF. Remove that and you should be fine.

Also, you should use MSG_FACEPLAYER instead of MSG_LOCK.

Old January 27th, 2012 (12:14 PM).

Okay, so I have searched to no avail...unless I don't know how to use the search function. I've also got no idea if this is the proper place for these questions. I will move it if necessary.
      So first, hi!

Some friends and I are starting up a new Pokemon rom hack. This is, I should say, the first we've ever done. None of us know anything yet about using Pokescript, which is why I'm here, for the above tutorials.

Here's my issue: We were hoping to use Generation 4, particularly Heart Gold and Soul silver, for a couple reasons. One, we definitely want to have the Physical/Special attack split that the fourth gen introduced. Two, IF we use HG/SS, we'd have access to a second 'world' to toy with, though that one isn't particularly important.

Now, I've perused the tutorials, looked at some of the most popular/comprehensive, but it seems everything addresses the third generation of games. My question is this; is there a Pokescript tutorial for the fourth generation? And if not, is there a way to bring that Physical/Special split into the third? We aren't too concerned with visuals, so I'd be fine with either.

On the note of using a 3rd gen game, actually, would we be able to expand the pre-programmed Pokedex to include all current gen Pokemon, from gen 4 and 5?

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions. I look forward to a response!
      Old January 27th, 2012 (12:30 PM).
      The Unknown

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Repede View Post
        Okay, so I have searched to no avail...unless I don't know how to use the search function. I've also got no idea if this is the proper place for these questions. I will move it if necessary.
        So first, hi!

Some friends and I are starting up a new Pokemon rom hack. This is, I should say, the first we've ever done. None of us know anything yet about using Pokescript, which is why I'm here, for the above tutorials.

Here's my issue: We were hoping to use Generation 4, particularly Heart Gold and Soul silver, for a couple reasons. One, we definitely want to have the Physical/Special attack split that the fourth gen introduced. Two, IF we use HG/SS, we'd have access to a second 'world' to toy with, though that one isn't particularly important.

Now, I've perused the tutorials, looked at some of the most popular/comprehensive, but it seems everything addresses the third generation of games. My question is this; is there a Pokescript tutorial for the fourth generation? And if not, is there a way to bring that Physical/Special split into the third? We aren't too concerned with visuals, so I'd be fine with either.

On the note of using a 3rd gen game, actually, would we be able to expand the pre-programmed Pokedex to include all current gen Pokemon, from gen 4 and 5?

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions. I look forward to a response!
        Well good and bad news for you. For one when you mean a second 'world' I'm guessing you mean a second reason which you can easily do with a 3rd Generation game.

Anyways, the bad news is HG/SS is extremely hard to hack and there are no such tutorials.

Good news is that there is a Physical/Special Split that has just very recently been finished. Here is a Split for Ruby and as for a Split for FireRed and Emerald it is here.

Also for the 4th and 5th Generation Pokemon, you can refer to this thread. And for Ruby you will find it in this thread. As of now these projects are still in work so you'll have to wait but they are coming along.

Finally never worry about too many questions. Others or myself are always happy to help.

.:Aegis:.
        ~coming soon~
        Old January 27th, 2012 (12:36 PM).

Absolutely fantastic answers, thank you so much for the help. Our hack is still quite a ways off, it's still in the planning stages, so I'm willing to wait.

I guess I'll give up on Gen 4, then, and focus on Ruby/Sapphire. I was indeed referring to a second region, such as Kanto is to Heart Gold. I was originally told by a friend that you cannot "add" to rom hacks, simply "modify", so I wasn't sure that was possible. Glad to know it is!

Well, thank you so much for all your help! Now I've got a point to start learning! Watch for our hack in the Progression's area, once we get something actually concrete! Thanks again, Speedster!
          Old January 27th, 2012 (12:42 PM).
          The Unknown

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Repede View Post
            Absolutely fantastic answers, thank you so much for the help. Our hack is still quite a ways off, it's still in the planning stages, so I'm willing to wait.

I guess I'll give up on Gen 4, then, and focus on Ruby/Sapphire. I was indeed referring to a second region, such as Kanto is to Heart Gold. I was originally told by a friend that you cannot "add" to rom hacks, simply "modify", so I wasn't sure that was possible. Glad to know it is!

Well, thank you so much for all your help! Now I've got a point to start learning! Watch for our hack in the Progression's area, once we get something actually concrete! Thanks again, Speedster!
            Your welcome. If you have any more questions feel free to ask the the thread Repede!

~coming soon~
            Old January 28th, 2012 (12:01 PM).
            För Sverige i tiden

Nature: Adamant
              Okay, so I think I have a few problems:
              First, where can I get a FireRed rom that actually has the offsets I need to use? I try to find the music table (is that what it's called?) according to a tutorial, but my hex editor can never find the offset... and when I manually go look for it, it's not there.
              Also, I changed a few things in the title screen. Opens fine the first time in unLZ-GBA, but the second time I open it, all the things are screwed up, like, the pallete is weird, things aren't where they should be, etc. I've had to redo everything several times due to the roms just FREAKING out. I can never open it a second time and get it to be, well, NORMAL.
              Is there any way to fix these two things?
              Old January 28th, 2012 (12:10 PM).
              The Unknown

Quote:
                Originally Posted by OMGWURMPLES! View Post
                Okay, so I think I have a few problems:
                First, where can I get a FireRed rom that actually has the offsets I need to use? I try to find the music table (is that what it's called?) according to a tutorial, but my hex editor can never find the offset... and when I manually go look for it, it's not there.
                Also, I changed a few things in the title screen. Opens fine the first time in unLZ-GBA, but the second time I open it, all the things are screwed up, like, the pallete is weird, things aren't where they should be, etc. I've had to redo everything several times due to the roms just FREAKING out. I can never open it a second time and get it to be, well, NORMAL.
                Is there any way to fix these two things?
                First, you can't discuss where to get ROMs here so all I can say is search google for "FireRed English ROM" because most tutorials are about English ROM.

Next make sure you click "Write to ROM" when you are finished editing. Just to ensure that all your changes are saved and saved in the write place.

~coming soon~
                Old January 28th, 2012 (12:45 PM).
                För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
                  First, you can't discuss where to get ROMs here so all I can say is search google for "FireRed English ROM" because most tutorials are about English ROM.

Next make sure you click "Write to ROM" when you are finished editing. Just to ensure that all your changes are saved and saved in the write place.
                  Yes, I have an english rom, but it seems to be missing several things when I open it up with a Hex editor.
                  I got the other things to work.
                  Now something else has come up (I'm such a noob D
                  It won't write my tile map to the rom, even when I find free space and such. It never gives me the confirmation message or anything.
                  Is there a way to fix that? fad;lkfj
                  Old January 28th, 2012 (12:54 PM).
                  The Unknown

Quote:
                    Yes, I have an english rom, but it seems to be missing several things when I open it up with a Hex editor.
                    I got the other things to work.
                    Now something else has come up (I'm such a noob D
                    It won't write my tile map to the rom, even when I find free space and such. It never gives me the confirmation message or anything.
                    Is there a way to fix that? fad;lkfj
                    Well try to get it from a different source. I had this when I originally started hacking. Just try one from a bunch of different sources.

As for the tile map, are you still working with Unlz.gba?

~coming soon~
                    Old January 28th, 2012 (2:02 PM). Edited January 28th, 2012 by OMGWURMPLES!.
                    För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
                      Well try to get it from a different source. I had this when I originally started hacking. Just try one from a bunch of different sources.

As for the tile map, are you still working with Unlz.gba?
                      Yes, I am.
                      What do you mean, a bunch of different sources? I've tried about 10-15 different offsets (is that the right term? Ugh) and none of them work.

Also, what's the maximum amount of new sprites you can put into a game?
                      Old January 28th, 2012 (3:25 PM).
                      The Unknown

Quote:
                        Yes, I am.
                        What do you mean, a bunch of different sources? I've tried about 10-15 different offsets (is that the right term? Ugh) and none of them work.
                        I mean get a different FireRed English ROM from many different 'websites' if that explains it better. If the offsets still do not work tell me. It could be that they are using a different language of the ROM or you aren't searching thee offsets right.

~coming soon~
                        Old January 28th, 2012 (5:25 PM).
                        För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
                          I mean get a different FireRed English ROM from many different 'websites' if that explains it better. If the offsets still do not work tell me. It could be that they are using a different language of the ROM or you aren't searching thee offsets right.
                          I found what was wrong.
                          Is there a maximum to the amount of new overworlds we can put into the game?
                          Also, in this topic it says, "Okay back to the second sprite data with our large offset we need to make this a pointer by reversing the bytes so for me it would be 00 00 82 08 next we need data size which is equal to (height*width)/2 with the bytes reversed."
                          What does this mean? It's talking about making new overworlds.
                          Sorry for so many questions, I'm new at this.
                          Old January 28th, 2012 (5:49 PM).
                          weeb
                          • Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
                          Quote:
                          I found what was wrong.
                          Is there a maximum to the amount of new overworlds we can put into the game?
                          Also, in this topic it says, "Okay back to the second sprite data with our large offset we need to make this a pointer by reversing the bytes so for me it would be 00 00 82 08 next we need data size which is equal to (height*width)/2 with the bytes reversed."
                          What does this mean? It's talking about making new overworlds.
                          Sorry for so many questions, I'm new at this.
                          Bah, try this one.

Old January 29th, 2012 (7:27 AM).

Nature: Timid
                            I am rather new to the hacking world, and I have 2 very basic questions:

1: How do I make a patch for a game?
                            2: Whenever I play a save file of a pokemon game, I recieve a "The file has been currupted. The previous save file will be loaded" message. How to I fix this, and could this have any effect on gameplay (Such as game deleating after E4)?

~Thanks~
                            Old January 29th, 2012 (7:47 AM).
                            The Unknown

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Puffle754 View Post
                              I am rather new to the hacking world, and I have 2 very basic questions:

1: How do I make a patch for a game?
                              2: Whenever I play a save file of a pokemon game, I recieve a "The file has been currupted. The previous save file will be loaded" message. How to I fix this, and could this have any effect on gameplay (Such as game deleating after E4)?

~Thanks~
                              1: Its usually the same for IPS, UPS, or APS. Just download either A-Ptch, UPS Patcher, or Lunar-IPS. Then you have to open one up, click "Create Patch," then select the original file you didn't modified (Blank FireRed, Ruby, ect.), then select the game you did modify and finally pick a place to save the patch at.

2: I'm not 100% but I could recommened going to Options>Emulator>Save Type>Flash 128K

~coming soon~
                              Old January 29th, 2012 (9:02 AM).
                              För Sverige i tiden

I feel so stupid.
                                When I insert sprites in the Overworld editor, I can insert one, but when I insert the other, the first one's palette gets really messed up. When I go back and reimport it, the other one's palette gets messed up in turn.
                                Am I importing them incorrectly?
                                Old January 29th, 2012 (9:05 AM).
                                hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                                  Quote:
                                  I feel so stupid.
                                  When I insert sprites in the Overworld editor, I can insert one, but when I insert the other, the first one's palette gets really messed up. When I go back and reimport it, the other one's palette gets messed up in turn.
                                  Am I importing them incorrectly?
                                  If I recall, OverWorld sprites share a certain number of pallettes, so by changing the pallette of one, it changes it for others too, as the number of pallettes are restricted so they share.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old January 29th, 2012 (9:35 AM).
                                  För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
                                    If I recall, OverWorld sprites share a certain number of pallettes, so by changing the pallette of one, it changes it for others too, as the number of pallettes are restricted so they share.
                                    It does that even between frames of the same sprite, though.
                                    Old January 29th, 2012 (9:56 AM).
                                    The Unknown

Quote:
                                      It does that even between frames of the same sprite, though.
                                      I had this same problem awhile ago. Its because they have the same colors in there pallet but the colors are in a different order. To fix this you can use NSE 2.X and the Color Match Plug-in. Just open the first frame first and then open the others and color match them.

~coming soon~
                                      Old January 29th, 2012 (10:45 AM). Edited January 29th, 2012 by redriders180.
                                      Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                                        Bah, try this one.
                                        Just a question related to this tutorial, because it doesn't explain how to make different sized OWs. In most cases, a 32x32 sprite (which is what was taught in the tutorial) works fine, but I need to make a couple 64x64 sprites for my Rom Hack. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, in reference to the saving question above. Whenever I save in my hack, it says "Save error, please exchange the backup memory". The memory is set at flash 128k, and it continues to happen. I also tried ShinyGold, and IT wouldn't let me save either, citing the same error. Is it the emulator that's the problem? I don't know of any other emulators with a RTC...

Edit: I'm using VBA

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old January 29th, 2012 (11:01 AM).
                                        För Sverige i tiden

Quote:
                                          I had this same problem awhile ago. Its because they have the same colors in there pallet but the colors are in a different order. To fix this you can use NSE 2.X and the Color Match Plug-in. Just open the first frame first and then open the others and color match them.
                                          Ooh, okay. Thanks! I'll try that.
                                          Old January 29th, 2012 (12:07 PM).
                                          The Unknown

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                            Just a question related to this tutorial, because it doesn't explain how to make different sized OWs. In most cases, a 32x32 sprite (which is what was taught in the tutorial) works fine, but I need to make a couple 64x64 sprites for my Rom Hack. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, in reference to the saving question above. Whenever I save in my hack, it says "Save error, please exchange the backup memory". The memory is set at flash 128k, and it continues to happen. I also tried ShinyGold, and IT wouldn't let me save either, citing the same error. Is it the emulator that's the problem? I don't know of any other emulators with a RTC...

Edit: I'm using VBA
                                            Spoiler:
                                            00 = Palette Number
                                            11 02 11 = Sprite validation.
                                            0200 = This is equal to the second 4 numbers in the Frame Data Pointer; this is the size of each frame
                                            0010 = Width
                                            0020 = Height
                                            0110 and 0000 = oam data. Do not modify!
                                            [email protected] 10373A08 = Points to @3.
                                            [email protected] 9C373A08 = Void pointer\ unsure.
                                            [email protected] 70343A08 = A pointer to @5 lol.
                                            [email protected] A0003A08 = Sprite Pointer
                                            [email protected] FC1C2308 = Pointer to pointers which point to code that loads the sprite through the ewram into the sprite block of the vram and its data into the oam.

This is the code for a OW given in the tutorial. Height and Width are given. 0010 by 0020 is the same as 16x32. So just do 0040 by 0040 for height and weight.

As for the save file I'm not sure right now but I know you could use the VBA Save Files instead of the in-game save files. I'll try to see what's the problem.

~coming soon~
                                            Old January 29th, 2012 (12:10 PM).
                                            OMGWURMPLES! OMGWURMPLES! is offline
                                            För Sverige i tiden

I have a problem with Visual Boy Advance not exporting palettes as .act files.
                                              It absolutely refuses to, even if I click the ".act" thing in the scrolldown.
                                              If I click that, it exports it as a half-functioning .pal file that doesn't even open up right.
                                              Help?
                                              Ugh, this is hard ;A;
                                              Closed Thread

Quick Reply