The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #20301    
Old February 5th, 2012 (12:30 PM).
Speedster's Avatar
Speedster Speedster is offline
The Unknown
     
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Location: In the depths of space...
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulieCZ View Post
    Hello people,

    me and my brother are new here and we decided to try make our own hack. However, we have some difficulties with editing pallets and inserting new tiles. We searched forum and followed few walkthrought here but still we can't edit that with proper success.

    So, here is the problem.
    We want to use some of these(those ice blocks) on weasleyfg.weebly.com (projectmarnianregionl00.png), but we just can't put them into the rom (FireRed). Point is, that when we try to insert them, the final pallet and block edit is in different color scheme. Any ideas what are we doing wrong?

    Thanks for any advice:)
    Well in most tutorials they explain how the tiles you insert MUST match the colors of tiles already in the game. Either wise the newly inserted tiles will have an odd looking pallet. You could also change a pallet but if you change the pallet of a highly used one the tiles already in game will get messed up. For a suggestion you could edit the pallet of Pallet #7 which is usually 2 colors (black and pink) and no tiles use that pallet so you can use it yourself. Hope this clears things up.
    __________________

    .:Aegis:.
    ~coming soon~
      #20302    
    Old February 5th, 2012 (4:29 PM).
    redriders180's Avatar
    redriders180 redriders180 is offline
    Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
       
      Join Date: Jun 2010
      Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 540
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
      Well in most tutorials they explain how the tiles you insert MUST match the colors of tiles already in the game. Either wise the newly inserted tiles will have an odd looking pallet. You could also change a pallet but if you change the pallet of a highly used one the tiles already in game will get messed up. For a suggestion you could edit the pallet of Pallet #7 which is usually 2 colors (black and pink) and no tiles use that pallet so you can use it yourself. Hope this clears things up.
      In addition to this, I'd like to point out that the Pallate for everything from 7 down changes depending on the tileset, so you'll have to change all the pallates for the tilesets you're using. However, with a little searching around, you can usually find a pallate you currently have with the colors you need. Pallate 3 for Firered has plenty of white and grays, as well as blue, so you can go that route too. I don't know about RSE thought, but I'm sure you can find one.
      __________________


      I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


        #20303    
      Old February 6th, 2012 (6:38 PM).
      J_Dawg J_Dawg is offline
         
        Join Date: Jan 2012
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 2
        ok i'm a little new to all this, so please just bear with me. now i've serched all day and i just cant seem to find out how to write a complex level script for fire red. im trying to change the begining prof. oak script for when you try to leave town, i understand how to script but i just need a little visual on how it should look..also i was wondering if there was a way to add pokemon without replacing any
          #20304    
        Old February 6th, 2012 (6:51 PM).
        DrFuji's Avatar
        DrFuji DrFuji is offline
        Heiki Hecchara‌‌
         
        Join Date: Sep 2009
        Location: Aussie
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 1,440
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by J_Dawg View Post
        ok i'm a little new to all this, so please just bear with me. now i've serched all day and i just cant seem to find out how to write a complex level script for fire red. im trying to change the begining prof. oak script for when you try to leave town, i understand how to script but i just need a little visual on how it should look..also i was wondering if there was a way to add pokemon without replacing any
        If you know how to make any sort of script, then a level script shouldn't be too much of a problem since it is largely identical, apart from how it is assigned to a map rather than a person/ tile. This tutorial has enough documentation and directions to help you insert you first levelscript.

        There is currently a FR patch that is being made which will include all 649 Pokemon when it is fully released so you won't have to replace anything. On the other hand, if you want to insert some now, you can replace the 25 empty slots in between Celebi and Treecko as they are currently unused - Here is a tutorial on how to insert them with Wichu's tools.
        __________________
          #20305    
        Old February 6th, 2012 (7:47 PM). Edited February 6th, 2012 by J_Dawg.
        J_Dawg J_Dawg is offline
           
          Join Date: Jan 2012
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 2
          so basically a level script is a regular script, just set to a map right?

          and i can select 1 of the free 25 slots to add something? the way i was reading the tutorial i was thinking that it had to be a pokemon already represented with a picture

          anyways thanx that helped alot
            #20306    
          Old February 6th, 2012 (10:35 PM).
          droomph's Avatar
          droomph droomph is offline
          weeb
           
          Join Date: Sep 2011
          Location: nowhere spectacular
          Age: 21
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Impish
          Posts: 4,291
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by ~RNC~ View Post
          Again, hope this is the right spot for this Q??
          But I need a good pokemon white rom, any one know where I can get one?
          Thanks
          Google is your friend. We aren't allowed to link you to any ROMs.
          __________________
          did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
          o i forgot 5
          uraqt


            #20307    
          Old February 7th, 2012 (2:11 AM).
          Gimic Gimic is offline
             
            Join Date: Sep 2010
            Location: Ostrava, Czech Republic
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 21
            Hello everyone,

            After nearly two hours of searching, I finally found Emerald version used in this video:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzG3IRIE9vI

            The only problem is that this version is all... chinese...

            Can ANYONE translate it to english?

            NOTES:
            - do not know, which version of Emerald is patched
            - do not have any patch, just the ROM
            - do not know if it really is 493 hack, or just edited 386, but starters are Chimchar, Turtwig and Piplup
            - do not know if any new moves are imported

            If anyone can do anything about this, please let me know... I cannot speak or even read chinese, so play this game kinda sux...
              #20308    
            Old February 7th, 2012 (4:30 AM).
            Speedster's Avatar
            Speedster Speedster is offline
            The Unknown
               
              Join Date: Dec 2011
              Location: In the depths of space...
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 134
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Gimic View Post
              Hello everyone,

              After nearly two hours of searching, I finally found Emerald version used in this video:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzG3IRIE9vI

              The only problem is that this version is all... chinese...

              Can ANYONE translate it to english?

              NOTES:
              - do not know, which version of Emerald is patched
              - do not have any patch, just the ROM
              - do not know if it really is 493 hack, or just edited 386, but starters are Chimchar, Turtwig and Piplup
              - do not know if any new moves are imported

              If anyone can do anything about this, please let me know... I cannot speak or even read chinese, so play this game kinda sux...
              Well based on the video that is fake (Since there is a western meowth). Although it is possible. There are projects going on to have all 649 pokemon in Ruby and FireRed. Now emerald was a tricky situation so adding all 649 pokemon to it was dropped. So follow these projects and wait for the releases.
              __________________

              .:Aegis:.
              ~coming soon~
                #20309    
              Old February 7th, 2012 (9:38 AM).
              robosllim's Avatar
              robosllim robosllim is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2012
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 13
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by robosllim View Post
                Here's the way things are now. There's a particular trainer, Battle Girl Lauren, who is known to cause problems. So I moved her to my debug location using Advance Map. She has a Hitmonlee with AI Value 200. She has an Antidote, a Burn Heal, a Full Heal, and a Full Restore. I poison the Hitmonlee and, consistently, she uses a Super Repel one turn, followed by a ?????? the next turn. Each will say "Foe HITMONLEE's SUPER REPEL/?????? cured POISON!" without actually doing so.

                So next, I remove all of her items and set Hitmonlee's AI Value to 0. I confirm that these changes take effect through HxD. I also change her name to confirm I'm loading the right ROM in VBA. So now, when Battle Girl Laurrrrrr battles me, she still uses a Super Repel and a ?????? when her Hitmonlee gets poisoned. Same behavior as before, even though her data changed.

                Now, I've figured out all the bytes in the trainer Pokemon data section (AI, level, dex number, item, and attacks), but I've got some holes in the trainer data:

                Code:
                0-1   - ???
                2-3   - Music and Sprite
                4-15  - Name
                16-23 - Items
                24-27 - ???
                28    - Type (07 is story battle, I think)
                29-31 - ???
                32    - Pokemon count
                33-35 - ???
                36-39 - The address of the Pokemon data
                I'm wondering if any of the blanks could be causing issues. So, two questions: First, can anyone fill in my blanks? Second, is there anything else that may account for the weird item behavior? It definitely seems to be tied to particular trainers, rather than some corruption of the battle code... though I obviously am not certain.
                I haven't posted in a while, but I just wanted to give an update for future reference and to ask a new, hopefully simpler, question.

                After a lot of tracing through code, I found that the game simply wasn't loading item data from the right spot. It loaded the trainer's name, Pokemon, sprite, everything else correctly, but the items were just wrong.

                In this ROM, the trainer table is in a different location, due to being expanded. And even though most things worked, I discovered there was one place where the pointer was still pointing to the old table location. So it was essentially loading garbage data, or other code, in place of the items and using those somehow. After changing that pointer to the right value, everything is fine again.

                The new question: why didn't that pointer get updated? I didn't expand the trainer data myself, but are there any caveats we should be aware of in the future?
                  #20310    
                Old February 7th, 2012 (11:21 AM).
                wierddude22's Avatar
                wierddude22 wierddude22 is offline
                New hacker
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2011
                  Location: My house
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 24
                  not sure if it has been answered but i don't want to go through 820 pages

                  i have a warp in firered that warps you into a pokemon centre, my problem is the warp makes the player land in the middle
                    #20311    
                  Old February 7th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
                  Gimic Gimic is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2010
                    Location: Ostrava, Czech Republic
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 21
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
                    Well based on the video that is fake (Since there is a western meowth). Although it is possible. There are projects going on to have all 649 pokemon in Ruby and FireRed. Now emerald was a tricky situation so adding all 649 pokemon to it was dropped. So follow these projects and wait for the releases.
                    Yeah, I know, but I always like Emerald version, mostly because tons of double battles and moving sprites. This game IS real, I played it nearly all, but in chinese it is nearly impossible to make to the end without emulation and saving all freakin' time...
                      #20312    
                    Old February 7th, 2012 (1:22 PM).
                    Speedster's Avatar
                    Speedster Speedster is offline
                    The Unknown
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2011
                      Location: In the depths of space...
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Jolly
                      Posts: 134
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by wierddude22 View Post
                      not sure if it has been answered but i don't want to go through 820 pages

                      i have a warp in firered that warps you into a pokemon centre, my problem is the warp makes the player land in the middle
                      So you need to make sure that you have it connected to another warp inside the pokemon center. If you got it that far it means you have the Map No. and Map Name correct but you have to have the same To Warp No. as the No. in the pokemon center. Example: Outside the warp is has a To Warp No. of 1 and the warp inside has a No. of 1. They match so when you come in it places you there.

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Gimic View Post
                      Yeah, I know, but I always like Emerald version, mostly because tons of double battles and moving sprites. This game IS real, I played it nearly all, but in chinese it is nearly impossible to make to the end without emulation and saving all freakin' time...
                      Well then there are still solutions. First, off like I said its hard to add all 493 Pokemon, much less all 649, to Emerald due to lack of free space. If you could find someone who knows how to do it and is willing to do it then look around and do so. Although you can achieve most things like double battles (which is already in the games by default) and moving sprites in FireRed and Ruby that you can achieve in Emerald. This thread talks about moving people and Pokemon sprites. It's still not very easy at all and there may not be free space still.
                      __________________

                      .:Aegis:.
                      ~coming soon~
                        #20313    
                      Old February 8th, 2012 (11:32 AM).
                      mysteryme's Avatar
                      mysteryme mysteryme is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2011
                        Location: Netherlands
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 66
                        How can i find an exact trainer in advance trainer?
                        For example: I am planning to make a harder version of fire red, but i do i find a specific trainer that i have already located in advancemap, but not in advancetrainer?

                        Sorry for my terrible english btw..
                        __________________
                        Currently busy with a rpg maker xp project.
                          #20314    
                        Old February 8th, 2012 (12:34 PM).
                        DrFuji's Avatar
                        DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                        Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2009
                        Location: Aussie
                        Age: 25
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Jolly
                        Posts: 1,440
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by mysteryme View Post
                        How can i find an exact trainer in advance trainer?
                        For example: I am planning to make a harder version of fire red, but i do i find a specific trainer that i have already located in advancemap, but not in advancetrainer?

                        Sorry for my terrible english btw..
                        Each trainer overworld in Advance Map has a script attached to them which determines what they say before and after battle, as well as which trainers you are actually battling. To find out which trainer has been assigned to the overworld, you're going to have to open their script in an editor such as XSE. Look for the scripting command 'trainerbattle' which should look something like this when decompiled (This is from the first girl you meet in Mt Moon):

                        Code:
                        trainerbattle 0x0 0x79 0x0 0x8172972 0x81729A4
                        The second byte after the command (highlighted in red) is what determines which trainer you will be battling. Remove the '0x' and place it in the small number box underneath the main list of trainers - You will automatically move to that position. From there on, just edit them as you see fit :)
                        __________________
                          #20315    
                        Old February 8th, 2012 (5:08 PM).
                        SYLUX6 SYLUX6 is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2012
                          Gender: Male
                          Posts: 2
                          I'm having issues with adding blocks to a tileset so I can add my own tiles to it. When I change the amount of blocks to tileset 2, the behavior byte and backround byte of all existing tiles that I wanted to use in tileset 1 are wiped out to 0 and even if I set them back to the way they were they either respond or don't. Any ideas of whats going on or if I'm handling this the wrong way? Thanks in advance.
                            #20316    
                          Old February 8th, 2012 (9:48 PM).
                          anhminh anhminh is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2011
                            Posts: 4
                            I need help, how to change those sprite to 8bpp? When i try to put it in platinum rom, it say this will probably not work because it not 8bpp, and sprite broken when i write it to rom.
                            This is what i try to put into rom.
                            img256.imageshack.us/img256/6682/unledzts.png
                            img29.imageshack.us/img29/7416/unled2bz.png
                              #20317    
                            Old February 9th, 2012 (11:40 AM).
                            redriders180's Avatar
                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                               
                              Join Date: Jun 2010
                              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quirky
                              Posts: 540
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by anhminh View Post
                              I need help, how to change those sprite to 8bpp? When i try to put it in platinum rom, it say this will probably not work because it not 8bpp, and sprite broken when i write it to rom.
                              This is what i try to put into rom.
                              img256.imageshack.us/img256/6682/unledzts.png
                              img29.imageshack.us/img29/7416/unled2bz.png
                              8bpp essentially means the picture has 256 different colors. This means you have to index it with 256 colors, as opposed to 16. I'm not sure what you used to index the sprite initially, but in Irfanview, you'd go to "increase color depth", and select 256 colors.
                              __________________


                              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                #20318    
                              Old February 9th, 2012 (7:14 PM).
                              anhminh anhminh is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2011
                                Posts: 4
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                8bpp essentially means the picture has 256 different colors. This means you have to index it with 256 colors, as opposed to 16. I'm not sure what you used to index the sprite initially, but in Irfanview, you'd go to "increase color depth", and select 256 colors.
                                I do exactly like you said, this time it doesn't say anything but sprite still broken:(
                                Here is what it look like
                                ttp://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5599/newpicture2e.png
                                  #20319    
                                Old February 9th, 2012 (7:19 PM).
                                Speedster's Avatar
                                Speedster Speedster is offline
                                The Unknown
                                   
                                  Join Date: Dec 2011
                                  Location: In the depths of space...
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Jolly
                                  Posts: 134
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by anhminh View Post
                                  I do exactly like you said, this time it doesn't say anything but sprite still broken:(
                                  After increasing the color depth to 256 make sure to save the image as BMP.
                                  __________________

                                  .:Aegis:.
                                  ~coming soon~
                                    #20320    
                                  Old February 9th, 2012 (9:06 PM).
                                  anhminh anhminh is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Sep 2011
                                    Posts: 4
                                    But sprites only use png only, is it able to read bmp?
                                    P/S:I was try but it can't even recognize it
                                      #20321    
                                    Old February 10th, 2012 (4:12 AM).
                                    Speedster's Avatar
                                    Speedster Speedster is offline
                                    The Unknown
                                       
                                      Join Date: Dec 2011
                                      Location: In the depths of space...
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Jolly
                                      Posts: 134
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by anhminh View Post
                                      But sprites only use png only, is it able to read bmp?
                                      P/S:I was try but it can't even recognize it
                                      Hmmm..... may I ask what you are using to insert the sprites into Platinum?
                                      __________________

                                      .:Aegis:.
                                      ~coming soon~
                                        #20322    
                                      Old February 10th, 2012 (5:09 AM).
                                      anhminh anhminh is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Sep 2011
                                        Posts: 4
                                        i use PokeDSpicPlatinum and it only use png image
                                          #20323    
                                        Old February 10th, 2012 (9:02 AM).
                                        wierddude22's Avatar
                                        wierddude22 wierddude22 is offline
                                        New hacker
                                           
                                          Join Date: Aug 2011
                                          Location: My house
                                          Age: 22
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Jolly
                                          Posts: 24
                                          Does anyone know how to change the starting position in ruby?
                                          __________________
                                          I envy many of you
                                            #20324    
                                          Old February 10th, 2012 (1:00 PM).
                                          Speedster's Avatar
                                          Speedster Speedster is offline
                                          The Unknown
                                             
                                            Join Date: Dec 2011
                                            Location: In the depths of space...
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Jolly
                                            Posts: 134
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by anhminh View Post
                                            i use PokeDSpicPlatinum and it only use png image
                                            I'm not to sure after all this. I did a quick search and it seems most people have problems in the same way. It may be the tool itself and not your sprite.

                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by wierddude22 View Post
                                            Does anyone know how to change the starting position in ruby?
                                            I'm guessing you are referring to not having to start in the truck, correct? Well on this ROM Hacking tool website there is a tool known as "Advanced Intro Ed." You can use it to control which map you are placed in after the introduction.
                                            __________________

                                            .:Aegis:.
                                            ~coming soon~
                                              #20325    
                                            Old February 10th, 2012 (1:56 PM).
                                            TorNyan TorNyan is offline
                                            Hacker
                                               
                                              Join Date: Feb 2012
                                              Location: Sweden
                                              Age: 23
                                              Gender: Female
                                              Nature: Calm
                                              Posts: 10
                                              When I load my hacked ROM and tries to save through Start Menu, it says that there already is a save file (though I haven't saved) with TIME 0:00, then it says "Save Error. Please the backup memory.".
                                              Closed Thread

                                              Quick Reply

                                              Join the conversation!

                                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                              Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:45 PM.