Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black 2 & White 2.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old January 26th, 2012 (6:05 PM).
Dratinichick's Avatar
Dratinichick Dratinichick is offline
     
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Gender: Female
    Posts: 17
    I have to admit, as I was playing through, I couldn't help but notice how much like real animals/objects Pokemon are starting to look like. However, I have no real negavtive comments on this. Even though I did love the purely creative Pokemon in past generations, I have to admit, the only two pokemon I found annoying in Black/White were Trubbish, and Ducklett. And even then, that was just because they're so.... obvious. In past years, they at least kind of veiled WHAT exactly inspired the Pokemon. But then again, I suppose after a while you run out of things to make into Pokemon. =/ *CoughCough* And FWI Ducklett, we already have Psyduck =P *CoughCough*
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #52    
    Old January 26th, 2012 (11:14 PM).
    The Nightmare's Avatar
    The Nightmare The Nightmare is offline
    "I fight for what I belive in"
       
      Join Date: Mar 2011
      Location: The Nightmare world
      Age: 18
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 590
      Same, pokemon can look like anything but some unova pokemon do not really look like pokemon (for example heatmor).
      __________________




      Reply With Quote
        #53    
      Old January 27th, 2012 (9:05 AM).
      IAshKetchum's Avatar
      IAshKetchum IAshKetchum is offline
      Pokémon master.
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Location: Pallet Town
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 44
        b&w pokemon suck, they look like cheap rip off's of digimon..
        __________________

        My SS Team -
        Reply With Quote
          #54    
        Old January 27th, 2012 (9:50 AM).
        GokuRikaku's Avatar
        GokuRikaku GokuRikaku is offline
        Sup?
           
          Join Date: Apr 2008
          Location: Behind you.
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Timid
          Posts: 21
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by IAshKetchum View Post
          b&w pokemon suck, they look like cheap rip off's of digimon..
          I would like to disagree and ask what makes you think they are a rip off of Digimon?
          __________________
          This is a signature.
          That is Ran.
          Reply With Quote
            #55    
          Old January 27th, 2012 (7:43 PM).
          adulti adulti is offline
             
            Join Date: Jan 2012
            Posts: 2
            While I personally prefer Gen I and think some of the some new Pokémon look retarded,I pretty much agree with the whole "Pokemon can look like whatever the hell they want and still be Pokemon" argument.
            Reply With Quote
              #56    
            Old January 27th, 2012 (8:07 PM).
            Pecilia's Avatar
            Pecilia Pecilia is offline
            He
               
              Join Date: Jul 2010
              Location: 'Murica
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Modest
              Posts: 1,144
              Being rude and right is good... of course, Pokes like Pawniard/Bisharp and Durant look like Yu-Gi-Oh. However they did make the legends better then D/P/Pt, they looked scary comparing it to a Pikachu. I'm sure they'll use the anime to show off it's cute side. I don't about Durant though, nothing comes to mind when getting him cute. FOREVER UGLY!
              __________________

              |Have a Read (Broken)|
              Reply With Quote
                #57    
              Old January 27th, 2012 (9:11 PM).
              Kyrk's Avatar
              Kyrk Kyrk is offline
              (╯°□°)╯︵ɔıb oן
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2012
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 19
                While I do agree that there's no criteria for what's a pokemon or not, I think what he's trying to say is that some of the newer pokemon look like a copy-and-paste of older pokemon or from other cartoon shows, or are abnormally simplistic. While there were indeed pokemon in the older generations considered "bland" or "unoriginal" (Geodude is just a rock with arms and a face) it seems to be more noticeable this generation.

                Lilipip/Herdier/Stoutland just look like ordinary dogs. I know they're normal types, and I like them, but still...
                While Sawk and Throh are really cool with a really cool concept, I personally find it rather strange that they're naturally wearing full articles of clothing like gis. However, I would also find them strange without their gis...
                Ducklett, again, is just a duck, only blue with cartoony eyes.
                The Vanillite family, while cute and all, seems like it would be more comfortable in Fighting Foodons...

                As I said before, there's no criteria for what's a pokemon is supposed to be, and there are bland or lame-looking pokemon in every generation, but the Unova pokemon, despite having many amazing-looking pokemon I love, also has those pokemon that stick out like a sore thumb.
                Reply With Quote
                  #58    
                Old February 6th, 2012 (6:53 PM).
                vizarod's Avatar
                vizarod vizarod is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2011
                  Posts: 101
                  TRUBBISH IS NOT A POKEMON!!!! It's a friggin garbage bag. WTF? Did someone take out the trash and turn around to see it randomly come to life? I think Trubbish is the weirdest one ever.

                  And then Yamask is super weird. Its pokedex entry:
                  Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.
                  These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.

                  So, this pokemon used to be a person? HUH? since when are people reincarnated as pokemon? I suppose it would make sense, as Pokemon seem to be the equivalent of animals. But still. That's weird.
                  __________________
                  Solo quiero soñar
                  Reply With Quote
                    #59    
                  Old February 28th, 2012 (8:27 AM).
                  The Author's Avatar
                  The Author The Author is offline
                  The Hero of Knothole Glade
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2011
                    Location: Knothole Glade
                    Age: 19
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quiet
                    Posts: 381
                    It's kind of hard to explain, but they didn't seem like Pokémon anymore. I mean, some of them did, like the starters or the legendaries and some other ones, but other than that they seemed like they were going off into some other thing that isn't Pokémon, if you know what I mean.
                    __________________
                    The Disciple
                    The Poet
                    The Leader
                    The Musician
                    The Transcendentalist

                    The Author
                    The Philosopher
                    The Architect
                    The Psychologist
                    The Artist
                    Reply With Quote
                      #60    
                    Old March 8th, 2012 (9:54 AM).
                    SnowpointQuincy's Avatar
                    SnowpointQuincy SnowpointQuincy is offline
                    Seeker of FRIEND CODES
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2008
                      Location: Texas
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Lonely
                      Posts: 1,285
                      In 1996 Pokemon Red was released and the franchise was RUINED FOREVER! The idea of Pokemon was so much better before it was published. Really, it was more fun to think about poket monsters than to play a GameBoy. (FYI Sarcasm)

                      Just Like Other 20 year old game franchises, each game IS better than the one before. Wheather you like it or not.

                      Consider the Following: The target audience of Pokemon is 10 years old. And you favorite generation of pokemon was from when you were 10. See any correlation?

                      Pokemon is still awesome! You just arn't young enough to get it!
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #61    
                      Old March 8th, 2012 (10:16 AM).
                      DARKSHADE's Avatar
                      DARKSHADE DARKSHADE is offline
                      Waiting.. In the Shadows..
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2007
                        Location: Johto - Goldenrod/Azalea
                        Age: 22
                        Nature: Adamant
                        Posts: 699
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by The Nightmare View Post
                        Same, pokemon can look like anything but some unova pokemon do not really look like pokemon (for example heatmor).
                        Uh, Heatmor is an anteater...

                        And as somebody said above, we already have a duck; psyduck.

                        You know what else we already have? A mole. (Diglett) I'm looking at you Drilbur.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #62    
                        Old March 8th, 2012 (10:17 AM).
                        Oryx's Avatar
                        Oryx Oryx is offline
                        CoquettishCat
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Mar 2011
                        Age: 24
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 13,204
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Kyrk View Post
                        While I do agree that there's no criteria for what's a pokemon or not, I think what he's trying to say is that some of the newer pokemon look like a copy-and-paste of older pokemon or from other cartoon shows, or are abnormally simplistic. While there were indeed pokemon in the older generations considered "bland" or "unoriginal" (Geodude is just a rock with arms and a face) it seems to be more noticeable this generation.

                        Lilipip/Herdier/Stoutland just look like ordinary dogs. I know they're normal types, and I like them, but still...
                        While Sawk and Throh are really cool with a really cool concept, I personally find it rather strange that they're naturally wearing full articles of clothing like gis. However, I would also find them strange without their gis...
                        Ducklett, again, is just a duck, only blue with cartoony eyes.
                        The Vanillite family, while cute and all, seems like it would be more comfortable in Fighting Foodons...

                        As I said before, there's no criteria for what's a pokemon is supposed to be, and there are bland or lame-looking pokemon in every generation, but the Unova pokemon, despite having many amazing-looking pokemon I love, also has those pokemon that stick out like a sore thumb.
                        Have they become more noticeable in general or have you grown up to become a more critical young adult instead of a less critical child? I think the latter is far more likely.

                        From the fighting belt on Machamp to the spoons every single Alakazam has to the commercial, obviously human-made magnets that Magnemite/ton are made out of to Hitmonchan's outfit and gloves to Jynx's dress, Pokemon has always had creatures with human items. Like I said before, you say they didn't 'stick out' to you, but that's not because it's less obvious. It's because you were younger when you were introduced to them, so you grew up not questioning their designs.

                        Here are some Gen I Pokemon that are merely an animal with 1-2 changed features, similar to Ducklett:

                        Spoiler:





                        __________________


                        Theme * Pair * VM * PM

                        Not all men...

                        Are all men stupid?

                        That's right.

                        Reply With Quote
                          #63    
                        Old March 8th, 2012 (10:36 AM).
                        DARKSHADE's Avatar
                        DARKSHADE DARKSHADE is offline
                        Waiting.. In the Shadows..
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2007
                          Location: Johto - Goldenrod/Azalea
                          Age: 22
                          Nature: Adamant
                          Posts: 699
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Toujours View Post


                          Have they become more noticeable in general or have you grown up to become a more critical young adult instead of a less critical child? I think the latter is far more likely.

                          From the fighting belt on Machamp to the spoons every single Alakazam has to the commercial, obviously human-made magnets that Magnemite/ton are made out of to Hitmonchan's outfit and gloves to Jynx's dress, Pokemon has always had creatures with human items. Like I said before, you say they didn't 'stick out' to you, but that's not because it's less obvious. It's because you were younger when you were introduced to them, so you grew up not questioning their designs.

                          Here are some Gen I Pokemon that are merely an animal with 1-2 changed features, similar to Ducklett:

                          Spoiler:






                          Honestly I don't think it's just the 'Animal with a few changes' that makes this generation not as good as the others.. it's the new artwork style, it just isn't as good as the old one used to be.
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                            #64    
                          Old March 8th, 2012 (10:57 AM).
                          Blue's Avatar
                          Blue Blue is offline
                          problematic
                          • Moderator
                          • Platinum Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Jan 2008
                          Location: United Kingdom
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Relaxed
                          Posts: 20,181
                          Well I've acknowledged them as Pokémon now and to me, they're fine.. they can't make them all too similar I mean there is 649 so you are limited to creations, if anything I think they are doing a great job.
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                            #65    
                          Old March 8th, 2012 (12:24 PM).
                          -ty-'s Avatar
                          -ty- -ty- is offline
                          Don't Ask, Just Tell
                             
                            Join Date: Oct 2009
                            Location: USA
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Naughty
                            Posts: 795
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Toujours View Post


                            You can't have it both ways though. You can have original ones that don't look like Pokemon, or ones that rip off other Pokemon but do look like Pokemon.
                            Agree with this 100 percent!
                            Reply With Quote
                              #66    
                            Old March 8th, 2012 (1:58 PM).
                            SnowpointQuincy's Avatar
                            SnowpointQuincy SnowpointQuincy is offline
                            Seeker of FRIEND CODES
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2008
                              Location: Texas
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Lonely
                              Posts: 1,285
                              Also, i wanted to add this:

                              There are 649 pokemon - You are NOT going to like all of them. There are that many pokemon to make sure that you like SOME of them.

                              I'm not a fan of Gloom/Bellossom, but I'm not complaining about it. Why? Because I can name at least 100 new and old pokemon that I adore so, so, much!


                              I have a Ducklet holding an Everstone named Duck Rodgers. I don't know why, but I love him more than most people! (might be exaggerating a little bit.)
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                                #67    
                              Old March 8th, 2012 (3:59 PM). Edited March 8th, 2012 by hiff8.
                              hiff8's Avatar
                              hiff8 hiff8 is offline
                              Gotta Derp em all
                                 
                                Join Date: Mar 2010
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 303
                                The only ones that really stuck me like that ( at first) were Sawk and Throh, they looked like fan art to me more then pokemon

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by vizarod View Post
                                TRUBBISH IS NOT A POKEMON!!!! It's a friggin garbage bag. WTF? Did someone take out the trash and turn around to see it randomly come to life? I think Trubbish is the weirdest one ever.
                                .
                                And Grimer is a pile of Purple mud, i really never saw why people disliked trubbish so much, he was like the only pokemon i used up until the elite 4, he seemed just as legit an idea as any other pokemon
                                __________________
                                My friend code for Y/3ds: 3222-6867-7895
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #68    
                                Old March 8th, 2012 (7:48 PM).
                                Mr. Magius's Avatar
                                Mr. Magius Mr. Magius is offline
                                  
                                • Crystal Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Jul 2007
                                Location: ... ;)
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 243
                                Well they're Pokémon. So they have to look like Pokémon.
                                __________________
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #69    
                                Old March 8th, 2012 (8:03 PM).
                                Victini
                                Guest
                                   
                                  Posts: n/a
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by IAshKetchum View Post
                                  b&w pokemon suck, they look like cheap rip off's of digimon..

                                  Spoiler:


                                  I am inclined to disagree.

                                  All Pokemon gens have strange Pokemon that may or may not look like they belong. I for one do not feel there should ever be a label placed on what a Pokemon can or cannot look like. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. It doesn't have a description to what it is supposed to look like... i-it is just that.

                                  I find this opinion to be very strange. I personally think if our Gen 1 was filled with Gen 5 Pokemon we would love them as we do Gen 1 now, and cherish them no matter how they look... but if our Gen 5 had all Gen 1 Pokemon, "Oh this Pokemon looks like a Digimon", "This isn't a Pokemon, it's a red and white ball!", "How creative, a pink flying cat that can use all the Pokemon moves. PFF." etc etc...

                                  T-that's just my two cents, anyways...
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #70    
                                  Old March 8th, 2012 (9:05 PM).
                                  Mr. Magius's Avatar
                                  Mr. Magius Mr. Magius is offline
                                    
                                  • Crystal Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jul 2007
                                  Location: ... ;)
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Posts: 243
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Toujours View Post


                                  Have they become more noticeable in general or have you grown up to become a more critical young adult instead of a less critical child? I think the latter is far more likely.
                                  ...Amen. O.o

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Victini View Post
                                  Spoiler:


                                  I am inclined to disagree.

                                  All Pokemon gens have strange Pokemon that may or may not look like they belong. I for one do not feel there should ever be a label placed on what a Pokemon can or cannot look like. A Pokemon is a Pokemon. It doesn't have a description to what it is supposed to look like... i-it is just that.

                                  I find this opinion to be very strange. I personally think if our Gen 1 was filled with Gen 5 Pokemon we would love them as we do Gen 1 now, and cherish them no matter how they look... but if our Gen 5 had all Gen 1 Pokemon, "Oh this Pokemon looks like a Digimon", "This isn't a Pokemon, it's a red and white ball!", "How creative, a pink flying cat that can use all the Pokemon moves. PFF." etc etc...
                                  Very good point.

                                  And Digimon are "digital monsters"... aren't Pokémon digital monsters as well? The only reason Digimon have their distinct style is because of the artist(s). If a Digimon was drawn by an artist of the Pokémon series, it would probably blend in perfectly.

                                  No matter what, there will always be people who will complain. Game Freak went for a unique style, but in my opinion, stayed remarkably true to the classic 'Pokémon' flavour, probably closest to Generation II. If they chose to take inspiration from Generation I's extremely simple style, there would be more people complaining about how plain and bland the Pokémon are.

                                  I especially liked how Game Freak chose to not give a hint if there was a shortage of concepts (although for some reason people tend to think that >_>). We were given another duck, another cat, another dog; but optimistically, there are tons of things you can do with just the concept of one animal... then there's even more creativity involved when it comes to evolution (especially branch evolution), like adding a new type, or regional mythology.
                                  __________________
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #71    
                                  Old March 8th, 2012 (9:09 PM).
                                  Oryx's Avatar
                                  Oryx Oryx is offline
                                  CoquettishCat
                                  • Crystal Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2011
                                  Age: 24
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 13,204
                                  I think a lot of the cries of lack of originality half stem from parallels to other generations, and half stem from the ones that don't parallel. There's a group of people that hate the unique ones (either they're not close enough to a specific animal or they don't look like creatures at all), and then there are people that hate the ones that parallel other generations (they couldn't think of a new idea, instead copied an old one). I'm sure in both cases they were very distinct decisions by Game Freak; since Unova is supposed to be a new start, they were already forcing you to use Pokemon you weren't comfortable with yet. It's comforting to see things that are familiar and similar to what you're used to in that situation.
                                  __________________


                                  Theme * Pair * VM * PM

                                  Not all men...

                                  Are all men stupid?

                                  That's right.

                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #72    
                                  Old March 8th, 2012 (10:03 PM).
                                  Forever's Avatar
                                  Forever Forever is offline
                                  • Moderator
                                  • Crystal Tier
                                  • EOEvent Organizer
                                   
                                  Join Date: Nov 2005
                                  Location: Queensland
                                  Age: 25
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Nature: Bold
                                  Posts: 35,531
                                  I think the non-animals are more detailed than the past generations ones, or at least to us now. When we saw Nidoran growing up we didn't pay attention to the small details, but now we're older we tend to do that, which basically sums up what Toujours said. We're fine with animals like Minccino because they're what we accept. We're not fine with Trubbish because we'd rather have Mr. Mime. Clearly because you see mimes everywhere and not rubbish bags...

                                  Unova reflects reality in their designs, past generations don't do that as much.

                                  If it weren't for battling I'd consider Sinnoh least like Pokemon because I spent the least amount of time with them, btw, so it's just getting used to them, etc.
                                  __________________


                                  Your own very Pokémon story is about to unfold.
                                  You'll face fun times and tough challenges.
                                  A world of dreams and adventures with Pokémon awaits!

                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #73    
                                  Old March 9th, 2012 (10:25 AM).
                                  hiff8's Avatar
                                  hiff8 hiff8 is offline
                                  Gotta Derp em all
                                     
                                    Join Date: Mar 2010
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Posts: 303
                                    I think the real main reason people don't like them is because they tried to go more retro and break the mold
                                    __________________
                                    My friend code for Y/3ds: 3222-6867-7895
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #74    
                                    Old March 9th, 2012 (10:50 AM).
                                    fatcatfuller's Avatar
                                    fatcatfuller fatcatfuller is offline
                                    Master of HG and Black
                                       
                                      Join Date: Mar 2012
                                      Age: 16
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Hardy
                                      Posts: 18
                                      I have the 2 games and the game has old pokemon after you finish the story. they still look like pokemon. Munna defenetly.
                                      __________________
                                      Red and Blue Started it all



                                      My dream team. up
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #75    
                                      Old March 9th, 2012 (11:46 AM).
                                      Glow Worm's Not Glowing's Avatar
                                      Glow Worm's Not Glowing Glow Worm's Not Glowing is offline
                                      Not-So-Masterful
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2008
                                        Location: New York, NY
                                        Age: 24
                                        Gender: Female
                                        Posts: 58
                                        Well, I definitely see where the OP is coming from, in the sense that some of the Pokemon were a little ... different, but I think different is okay.

                                        And to be honest, I always look at Pokemon as the "Pocket Monsters" they were always referred to as. If, in the Pokemon world, my t.v. jumped up, sprouted wings, had eyes, and shot fire from it's two slits that it calls nostrils, I'd still say "That's a Poke! Now I'mma catch it!" because it's a monster ... that I can fit in my pocket.

                                        If it's a bunch of gears, a pile of garbage, or a flaming pile of poop, if it can be caught in a ball, it is a Pokemon, mainly because in ANY society, that is a "monster". Trainers just deal with their monsters in a slightly more peaceful fashion. (fainting and catching instead of hunting down and murdering all of its kind)

                                        Just my opinion, though. c:
                                        __________________


                                        PKMN Trainer since '99
                                        Reply With Quote
                                        Reply

                                        Quick Reply

                                        Join the conversation!

                                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                        Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                        Sponsored Links
                                        Thread Tools

                                        Posting Rules
                                        You may not post new threads
                                        You may not post replies
                                        You may not post attachments
                                        You may not edit your posts

                                        BB code is On
                                        Smilies are On
                                        [IMG] code is On
                                        HTML code is Off

                                        Forum Jump


                                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:22 PM.