ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old February 21st, 2012 (1:15 PM).

when I was play testing my hack (fire red) while walking along route 15 my game just freezes. I didn't really do anything major that I haven't done to any other route (such as ad any scripts or change trainers). Why would this happen? Is there a way to fix it?

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 21st, 2012 (2:22 PM).
    The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
      Quote:
      EDIT: Foget about it, I found the solution I wonder why I did not try this earlier: Compatibility Mode. Now A-Text runs smoothly Now I could use a .ini for a german FireRed...

Whatever, new question:
      I want to make it possible to run in houses, following this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=207026
      BUT I don't know how to do this, can anybody pls help me?
      The German FireRed INI most likely doesn't exist. You would have to have some one make it for you. Or just hack an English version and translaate it to German.

As for the running inside buildings, I had seen that thread long ago but discovered a MUCH easier way of doing it. It won't be the same since you have the German FireRed though but if you use an English version you would go to the offset 0xBD494 in a HEX Editor and change the value from 08 to 00.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by quickpokemon View Post
      when I was play testing my hack (fire red) while walking along route 15 my game just freezes. I didn't really do anything major that I haven't done to any other route (such as ad any scripts or change trainers). Why would this happen? Is there a way to fix it?
      Well that doesn't help us much. Did you change any tile behavior bytes? Maybe a image of A-Map in the Events tab would help us figure out your problem.

.:Aegis:.
      ~coming soon~
      Old February 21st, 2012 (3:10 PM).

Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same way the doors on Firered do? I mean the number of tiles that the animation uses. If not, It's no big deal and I can just edit the door animations to look like that. And I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the cmda6 command for the snowy grass that I posted 2 pages ago. If someone that knows how to use these things could PM me, I'd appreciate it.
        Old February 21st, 2012 (3:27 PM).
        Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
          Multiquote has officially become my new best friend. I still need to know where the amount of money the player has is stored in memory, so if anyone can tell me, that'd be awesome

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Reygok View Post
          Thanks man :D
          But how can I find strings on my own? Because there are many other things I want to change, too..
          There's a mini-tutorial on strings about three pages back on this thread. Basically, each letter in the game is a different byte. Just make a long string of bytes to write things, and you can also search for these strings in the ROM to edit them in a hex editor.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by darkprince909 View Post
          Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same way the doors on Firered do? I mean the number of tiles that the animation uses. If not, It's no big deal and I can just edit the door animations to look like that. And I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the cmda6 command for the snowy grass that I posted 2 pages ago. If someone that knows how to use these things could PM me, I'd appreciate it.
          I thought I'd already cleared this up. I'm almost 100% sure the cmda06 command has nothing to do with the snowy tiles, and instead has something to do with Soot Sack. This is based on a video I saw stating that cmda06 is a way to make tiles do certain ASM code. I do not know in what way this work, but it is not relevant. The snowy/ash grass instead works like a setmaptile command on each grass tile. When you step on it, it changes the snowy grass to the not-snowy grass, and adds a little puff on ash for realism. It won't work right if its got something on the layer above it. This is supported by the original game, where none of the ash grass tiles are behind any trees. The only solution you can do is either turn the ash grass into a tile animation like the tall grass, or not put snowy grass behind a tree. Both of these are easily do-able, as I've seen a post somewhere on the research and development on making different grass animations.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old February 21st, 2012 (3:37 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Speedster View Post

Well that doesn't help us much. Did you change any tile behavior bytes? Maybe a image of A-Map in the Events tab would help us figure out your problem.
            Here is a picture:
            once I pass the red line is when my game freezes

2labn2o.png
            Old February 21st, 2012 (3:43 PM).
            weeb
            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by quickpokemon View Post
            Here is a picture:
            once I pass the red line is when my game freezes

Attachment 63502
            Try getting a new ROM. Sometimes these things happen, and the only way to solve them is to start all over again.

Old February 21st, 2012 (3:57 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
              I thought I'd already cleared this up. I'm almost 100% sure the cmda06 command has nothing to do with the snowy tiles, and instead has something to do with Soot Sack. This is based on a video I saw stating that cmda06 is a way to make tiles do certain ASM code. I do not know in what way this work, but it is not relevant. The snowy/ash grass instead works like a setmaptile command on each grass tile. When you step on it, it changes the snowy grass to the not-snowy grass, and adds a little puff on ash for realism. It won't work right if its got something on the layer above it. This is supported by the original game, where none of the ash grass tiles are behind any trees. The only solution you can do is either turn the ash grass into a tile animation like the tall grass, or not put snowy grass behind a tree. Both of these are easily do-able, as I've seen a post somewhere on the research and development on making different grass animations.
              Well I looked at the tutorial for cmda6, and there was nothing mentioned about the soot sack specifically. My guess is this particular tile with the particular tile behavior reacts to the cmda6 script. I tested these tiles on a map without this script and there was no animation and no finding of wild pokemon. And it also does work when theres something on the top layer as well. The problem I was having with it was that I don't know how to link specific tiles together for the script to change them how I need them to. The snow covered grass always changed to the grass with the snow shaken off. Every other block in the tileset that i give this behavior byte to always switches to a certain other block in the tileset, which I put one half of the tree on. So basically, half of the tree with grass behind it works. What I need to know is if theres a way to manually link the blocks together so that I could have a certain block always change to a certain other block, like how the normal snow-covered grass always changes to the grass with the snow shaken off, when I have this script active.

It'd be similar to this, I'm guessing, except say the red blocks were normal snow grass, blue was the left side of the tree, and white is the right side of the tree
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0aQHash9rE

Sorry if I'm just missing something, but I don't think you quite understood what I was asking with that, and I might not have explained it as well as I could have.
              Old February 21st, 2012 (4:55 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by darkprince909 View Post
                Well I looked at the tutorial for cmda6, and there was nothing mentioned about the soot sack specifically. My guess is this particular tile with the particular tile behavior reacts to the cmda6 script. I tested these tiles on a map without this script and there was no animation and no finding of wild pokemon. And it also does work when theres something on the top layer as well. The problem I was having with it was that I don't know how to link specific tiles together for the script to change them how I need them to. The snow covered grass always changed to the grass with the snow shaken off. Every other block in the tileset that i give this behavior byte to always switches to a certain other block in the tileset, which I put one half of the tree on. So basically, half of the tree with grass behind it works. What I need to know is if theres a way to manually link the blocks together so that I could have a certain block always change to a certain other block, like how the normal snow-covered grass always changes to the grass with the snow shaken off, when I have this script active.

It'd be similar to this, I'm guessing, except say the red blocks were normal snow grass, blue was the left side of the tree, and white is the right side of the tree
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0aQHash9rE

Sorry if I'm just missing something, but I don't think you quite understood what I was asking with that, and I might not have explained it as well as I could have.
                Of course it's possible I was wrong. The only reason I assumed cmda06 wasn't necessary was because the tutorial for unlocking it in Firered made no mention of it. My assumption of the background bytes not working was because of the same tutorial, which only has a spot for inputting the ashy grass, the grass with ashy background, and the normal grass, and nothing else, but that may be because of the script.

I assume (not like my assumptions seem to ever hold true) that there's a sort of table in the rom, which cmda06 calls. assuming that you could find this, you could write another ASM script which would handle the background tree tiles, and put it in the table in question. The simplest way, in my opinion, would be to add setmaptile scripts to each place underneath the tree, and play the animation involved with the puff of ash. All of these things I believe you can access in a script. setanimation and doanimation can play the puff of dust. (0x7 is the ashgrass dust cloud, but the list I have also says it does a setmaptile part, so 0xA should also work [0xA is the dust cloud when the player jumps off a ledge])

And you explained it perfectly clear, i was just being stupid, so no hard feelings?

Old February 21st, 2012 (5:44 PM).
                The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                  I still need to know where the amount of money the player has is stored in memory, so if anyone can tell me, that'd be awesome.
                  Did you need to change the starting amount? I know there is a program. If not I might be able to find the offset here somewhere...

.:Aegis:.
                  ~coming soon~
                  Old February 21st, 2012 (10:56 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                    Try getting a new ROM. Sometimes these things happen, and the only way to solve them is to start all over again.
                    eh well that kinda sucks lol. I just changed the connections and removed the route :\
                    Old February 22nd, 2012 (7:25 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
                      Did you need to change the starting amount? I know there is a program. If not I might be able to find the offset here somewhere...
                      It's not that I need to change the starting amount, I just need it for a "secret word" type script. I want to make the word in question depend on some random factors, like the amount of money the player has. Although I really hope it isnt one of those protected offsets...

Old February 22nd, 2012 (8:10 AM).

Nature: Bold
                        How do I edit ruby's intro sprites without pokepic?

Then go to
                        Pokemon Choas Black.
                        OR
                        Fire Emblem

I think you'll like it.
                        Old February 22nd, 2012 (9:16 AM).
                        weeb
                        • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by refep View Post
                        What is PokéPic? Is it a tool?

You're supposed to do it on unLZ, which can be easy if you do it right. However, if you're REALLY willing, search up "LZ77" and decompress the pictures by hand, I guess.

If you're talking about Birch's lecture and stuff, then it uses a different compression method (and I can't remember which), and you're going to have to look that up.
                        ----------------------------
                        ARRIGHT MY QUESTION

Yeah, so I was wondering, how far can a bl instruction reach? I need to go from 0x6840 to 0xEC0000 or so. Will it be able to reach that far?

Old February 22nd, 2012 (10:13 AM).
                        Memento Mori
                        • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by refep View Post
                        To tell you the truth I would pretty much like to know how you actually can edit intro sprites WITH PokePic :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                        Old February 22nd, 2012 (12:44 PM). Edited February 22nd, 2012 by aradatm.

Hi I'm new to hacking and I have two questions if anyone could possibly answer them for me. One, can anyone tell me how to script in a double battle where you and a random character fight two wild pokemon/trainers? And the second, it'd be nice to know the command/how to script in so that the system registers a fainted pokemon/egg in your party. For XSE, not PokeScript. Thanks in advance.
                          Old February 22nd, 2012 (2:23 PM).
                          Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by aradatm View Post
                            Hi I'm new to hacking and I have two questions if anyone could possibly answer them for me. One, can anyone tell me how to script in a double battle where you and a random character fight two wild pokemon/trainers? And the second, it'd be nice to know the command/how to script in so that the system registers a fainted pokemon/egg in your party. For XSE, not PokeScript. Thanks in advance.
                            In emerald I believe there is a part where you and Steven battle together (in the museum I think?). I would open up that script in XSE and have a look. And I don't understand your next question...if you mean to not automatically get sent to the Pokemon center when all your Pokemon faint, I have no idea. I think in pokemon prism there was something like that, but I'm not positive.
                            Old February 22nd, 2012 (3:09 PM). Edited February 22nd, 2012 by droomph.
                            weeb
                            • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                            And the second, it'd be nice to know the command/how to script in so that the system registers a fainted pokemon/egg in your party. For XSE, not PokeScript. Thanks in advance.
                            I don't know what you mean, but I interpret that as you want to put a fainted Pokémon through the givepokemon command.

First, give a Pokémon as usual, through the givepokemon command. Then what you should do is set the HP to 0 using the callasm command.

How do you do that? Well...you'll have to find out for yourself. I would share it to you, but you seem like a capable young lady (woman, developing senior, etc.) and I think you wouldn't mind using your basic math skills, would you?

Besides, it's fun and satisfying.

Basic Party RAM Data:
                            Spoiler:
                            Ruby: 0x03004360, end at +600b for all these offsets
                            Sapphire: 0x03004360
                            Emerald: 0x02024190, 0x020244EC for US games
                            FireRed: 0x02024284
                            LeafGreen: 0x020241e4

Old February 22nd, 2012 (3:41 PM).

Oh actually the second question stems from the first. Say, you want someone to not double battle you because a Pokemon in the party has fainted and you have one Pokemon that still has its health and is able to fight. What I want is basically to have the game register these things to avoid the double battles when you only have one capable Pokemon in your party so that it avoids the "cloning" Pokemon glitch.

I only use the simple script where if you have one Pokemon, they refuse to battle you but it still counts when you have two or more Pokemon in your party and all but one has fainted...So yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for not being clear the first time.
                              Old February 22nd, 2012 (3:57 PM).

Nature: Bold
                                hey everyone i really need an answer to this question because ive been researching all day and ive found nothing.. i was wondering if there was a way to use existing programs like ADVANCED MAP or ADVANCED MART on IPS PATCHES of games. if this is not possible with these programs, then WHAT ARE PROGRAMS THAT CAN DO THIS? im kinda new to hacking so i thought this would be a good place to ask. mainly for 3rd generation hacks by the way.
                                Old February 22nd, 2012 (4:05 PM).

Quote:
                                  Oh actually the second question stems from the first. Say, you want someone to not double battle you because a Pokemon in the party has fainted and you have one Pokemon that still has its health and is able to fight. What I want is basically to have the game register these things to avoid the double battles when you only have one capable Pokemon in your party so that it avoids the "cloning" Pokemon glitch.

I only use the simple script where if you have one Pokemon, they refuse to battle you but it still counts when you have two or more Pokemon in your party and all but one has fainted...So yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for not being clear the first time.
                                  The tag battle in Emerald is based on a special, so I don't know of any way to do a tag battle in any other game. And in any case, it wouldn't do wild battles either.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                                  I don't know what you mean, but I interpret that as you want to put a fainted Pokémon through the givepokemon command.

First, give a Pokémon as usual, through the givepokemon command. Then what you should do is set the HP to 0 using the callasm command.

How do you do that? Well...you'll have to find out for yourself. I would share it to you, but you seem like a capable young lady (woman, developing senior, etc.) and I think you wouldn't mind using your basic math skills, would you?

Besides, it's fun and satisfying.

Basic Party RAM Data:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  Ruby: 0x03004360, end at +600b for all these offsets
                                  Sapphire: 0x03004360
                                  Emerald: 0x02024190, 0x020244EC for US games
                                  FireRed: 0x02024284
                                  LeafGreen: 0x020241e4
                                  Actually, you don't even need ASM to change stats of a Pokemon, in a party or even in a wild battle. You can find the data structure of a Pokemon here. All thats required is a "writebytetooffset" command, and you can change the Pokemons stats, its current HP, status ailments, and plenty of other stuff. However, stuff like moves and IVs are protected in a different way.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by itman View Post
                                  In emerald I believe there is a part where you and Steven battle together (in the museum I think?). I would open up that script in XSE and have a look. And I don't understand your next question...if you mean to not automatically get sent to the Pokemon center when all your Pokemon faint, I have no idea. I think in pokemon prism there was something like that, but I'm not positive.
                                  It was at the Mossdeep Space Center, but it's no matter. And the command you're talking about is trainerbattle 0x9 [Trainer Number] 0x0 [Text when opponent is defeated] [Text when rival is defeated].
                                  Irrelevant, but I just wanted to help

Quote:

Like one of the answers above me, the offsets for the Pokemon data are easily accessable without ASM. With a little math, you can insert the commands "comparefarbytetobyte [OFFSET OF CURRENT HP] 0x0.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by BLACK0UT View Post
                                  hey everyone i really need an answer to this question because ive been researching all day and ive found nothing.. i was wondering if there was a way to use existing programs like ADVANCED MAP or ADVANCED MART on IPS PATCHES of games. if this is not possible with these programs, then WHAT ARE PROGRAMS THAT CAN DO THIS? im kinda new to hacking so i thought this would be a good place to ask. mainly for 3rd generation hacks by the way.
                                  Whats wrong with just patching the IPS patch to a rom and editing the patched rom?

Old February 22nd, 2012 (4:24 PM).
                                  weeb
                                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by BLACK0UT View Post
                                  Well, if you're talking about those picky-picky hacks who don't want people "cheating their way past the storyline", then what you do is find which game it was based on, and then copy the header (the first three hundred bytes or so) of a clean ROM it was based on onto the one you want to edit, and you've successfully unlocked it.

By the by:
                                  Spoiler:

Old February 23rd, 2012 (11:03 AM).

I'd like to find out how to adjust the music that plays during certain battles in Emerald version.

I've found out so far that it seems to depend on the trainer's title (for trainer battles), or the species (for wild Pokémon), and what I'd like to do is adjust a few of these that don't already have different music (i.e. adjust Articuno so that it plays the FR/LG legendary music, or adjust the Schoolboy trainers to play the FR/LG music).

Since Emerald already has all of FR/LG's music, I'm glad I don't have to mess around with importing new music, but I'd really like to figure out how to adjust the above. I've searched around for some answers for a couple days, but I've had no luck.

If none of that is possible, is there any other way to trigger a particular track of music during a wild/trainer battle?
                                    Old February 23rd, 2012 (12:35 PM).

I still need that offset for the amount of money the player founds, but I also have another question. Basically, I need to make a box similar to the showmoney and showcoins box. But I need this box to display a certain string when its called in a script, in my case. I'd use a showpokemonpic command or something like that if i could, but I want the box to be smaller than 64x64. I'm hacking Firered, version 1.0, with JPANs hack engine. If someone could point me to a tutorial or something, I'd be most obliged.

Old February 23rd, 2012 (3:35 PM). Edited February 24th, 2012 by Capitalist Ness.
                                      Capitalist Ness Capitalist Ness is offline
                                      can't stump the trump

Nature: Adamant
                                        I'm making a hack, and I have one problem...
                                        Marill, to breed Azurill, needs to have Sea Incense while breeding, but I don't want Marill to breed Azurill in that way. I want it to breed in regular way.
                                        Same with others Pokemon that need Incenses to breed to lowest evolution stage.
                                        Do I need to modify it in hex?
                                        Or derp in ASM?
                                        Or there's a simple tool to modify this?
                                        Please help.
                                        Old February 23rd, 2012 (5:07 PM).
                                        Jay the penguin Jay the penguin is offline

is there a way in Amap to expand the tileset count?

My Hack!
                                          Visit the thread!
                                          Closed Thread

Quick Reply