The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

View Poll Results: Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2012 (5:44 PM).
Challenge God

Nature: Sassy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdthebud View Post
    The problem with your example IMO is that you are using the Gen I games, which are riduculously easy to beat in comparison to the later games, considering that the AI is a joke. The later games (Gen III and on) are a lot harder to beat with two pokemon. For example, I can solo the E4 in Gen I with a L60 Pokemon easily, if it has a decent moveset (lol Nidoking L50). Cynthia can be really hard to beat without reviving since her team is so versatile.

As for Gen II, Red can be difficult to beat with a team of two at L60, but a team of 3 at L60 can take him down pretty decently. If yout team of 2 is around L70, Red isn't as hard. However, that assumes your duo has decent moves, and you don't get stuck with Charizard spamming Flamethrower in the sun, lol.

So IMO, Gen I doesn't really apply when I talk about a minimum of three, although you would need a couple decent pokemon (Charizard is a great one, he doesn't really have any counters in the E4 aside from Blastoise and maybe Onix if he survives Earthquake). FireRed would be harder to beat with Charizard and Vileplume because the AI is a lot better.

How about this, Myrrhman? Next time you play a game, deposit your HM slaves before the E4 (unless you already do this). That will make it more challenging because you won't be able to revive your team with them. :)
    Maybe I just need to hurry up and finish the Gen I challenges then. You're probably right, I'll have a harder time with the later games. I've been playing nothing but RBGSC, because the emulator runs them fastest, maybe I should do some RSE or something.

And yeah, I deposit HM Slaves before fighting E4. Either that or I just don't buy revives (you can do that in RB, don't know about the other games.

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 16th, 2012 (6:46 AM).
    There's nothing for me here...

I was thinking about a challenge "Monkey see, monkey do!". The major rule of the challenge is: You can't use a Pokemon unless you haven't seen someone using it. For example, in FR/LG the first pokemon you could use (if you battled those trainers of course) would be Weedle,Caterpie, Kakuna, Metapod or your rival's Pidgey, but you can't evolve them further, until you see someone using a Beedrill, Pidgeotto etc. This would give you a nice variety of Pokemon to choose from and also some restrictions. There could be an extra rule that you can't use Pokemon gym leaders use. What do you guys think of this idea, would it be enough "challenging" to become an actual challenge and do you have anything to add?
      Old February 16th, 2012 (10:09 AM). Edited February 16th, 2012 by myrrhman.
      Challenge God

Quote:
        Originally Posted by heLLkitsune View Post
        I was thinking about a challenge "Monkey see, monkey do!".The major rule of the challenge is: You can't use a Pokemon unless you haven't seen someone using it. For example, in FR/LG the first pokemon you could use (if you battled those trainers of course) would be Weedle,Caterpie, Kakuna, Metapod or your rival's Pidgey, but you can't evolve them further, until you see someone using a Beedrill, Pidgeotto etc. This would give you a nice variety of Pokemon to choose from and also some restrictions. There could be an extra rule that you can't use Pokemon gym leaders use. What do you guys think of this idea, would it be enough "challenging" to become an actual challenge and do you have anything to add?
        You should obviously call it "Mankey see, Mankey do!"
        Do you mean You can't use a Pokemon unless you see someone use it?
        This would make Brock hella fun. Sand Attack will probably have to save the day.
        Damn, this means I can't do it, because I don't know how to not speed button, and they always evolve on accident.
        Seeing everyone starting the same and ending different would be pretty cool, actually.
        Would it still count if another trainer uses the Pokemon? Like you see Brock's Geodude, but then later in Mt. Moon you see a Hiker's Geodude. Would that count? Also what about Giovanni in Silph? I'm pretty sure that's the only time that you see a Nidoqueen other than the last gym in Red and blue.
        I think this challenge is pretty good, actually. And hey, not all challenges have to be pull-your-hair-out-hard.
        Nothing else needs to be said here.
        Just some pretty colors.
        Old February 16th, 2012 (3:01 PM).
        poisonous

Nature: Jolly
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by heLLkitsune View Post
        I was thinking about a challenge "Monkey see, monkey do!". The major rule of the challenge is: You can't use a Pokemon unless you haven't seen someone using it. For example, in FR/LG the first pokemon you could use (if you battled those trainers of course) would be Weedle,Caterpie, Kakuna, Metapod or your rival's Pidgey, but you can't evolve them further, until you see someone using a Beedrill, Pidgeotto etc. This would give you a nice variety of Pokemon to choose from and also some restrictions. There could be an extra rule that you can't use Pokemon gym leaders use. What do you guys think of this idea, would it be enough "challenging" to become an actual challenge and do you have anything to add?
        I think that a pretty cool spin that you could put on this challenge would be to pretty much flip the idea: You can only use Pokemon that you haven't seen other trainers use. The amount of Pokemon that you will have the ability to use would shrink as you make progress in the game. Plus, it can have two different strategies - either play through battling most trainers, limiting the amount of Pokemon you can use or play through skipping as many trainers as possible to keep the amount of Pokemon usable high.
        Old February 16th, 2012 (6:06 PM).
        Challenge God

I like both of them. Put both in a thread!
          Old February 16th, 2012 (6:34 PM).
          Engineering Solutions

Nature: Lax
          Alright, my monocolor thread got approved, everyone who's in that, move to that thread, and if you have ever completed it before, post your color and the game you played in the thread and I will add you.
          Old February 17th, 2012 (6:32 PM).
          Weedle trainer

Quote:
            Originally Posted by jdthebud View Post
            How about this, Myrrhman? Next time you play a game, deposit your HM slaves before the E4 (unless you already do this). That will make it more challenging because you won't be able to revive your team with them. :)
            Wait... you're allowed to use HM slaves in a battle??? I've been playing my Weedle solo run under the impression that you can't do that (or are solo runs different?) If you can use slaves, that might make it so I can finally defeat Red!
            Old February 17th, 2012 (7:07 PM).
            poisonous

Nature: Jolly
            I've always wanted to know what people think of this: When do you think that a challenge should end? When reading through challenges that I might potentially participate in, one of the rules is always when the challenge ends. The one thing that I don't like is that for many challenges they end after you beat the E4 in RBY, RSE, FRLG, and DPPt, which I think is fine, but then for GSC, HGSS, and BW they end after you beat Red or Alder, respectively. I personally think that all challenges should end when the credits of the game roll. Whenever considering doing a challenge on GSC, HGSS, and BW it always discourages me because I see that I would have to continue after the Elite Four and play the postgame to beat Red or Alder, which I think is a lot of work for a challenge.
            So my question is when should a challenge end? And should there be a general rule for when all challenges should end?
            Old February 17th, 2012 (9:01 PM).
            AWOL

Quote:
              Originally Posted by deku
              So my question is when should a challenge end? And should there be a general rule for when all challenges should end?
              Honestly, the challenge ends when you complete the game. That's ambiguous, sure, but it's a general rule of thumb that beating everyone you possibly can in-game is what constitutes as completed. So it's only natural that for HGSS/GSC, you'd have to beat Red, since he is a challenge. What's the point of a challenge if there's still someone left to beat? Also, for Emerald, I see a lot of people requiring you to beat Steven to complete a challenge. In my opinion, that's a lot harder since the Elite Four is only at 58 ish, while Steven jumps up to 75.

On another note, not sure if there's already a thread up on this, but what if there was a challenge where you had to renew your team every gym? Like just dump your party and start fresh?
              Old February 17th, 2012 (9:41 PM).
              Engineering Solutions

Quote:
              Originally Posted by SuperKirbyFan View Post
              Wait... you're allowed to use HM slaves in a battle??? I've been playing my Weedle solo run under the impression that you can't do that (or are solo runs different?) If you can use slaves, that might make it so I can finally defeat Red!
              Well, I don't think HM slaves are allowed, although your Weedle solo might be an exception, lol. Ask Myrrhman about that.
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by deku View Post
              I've always wanted to know what people think of this: When do you think that a challenge should end? When reading through challenges that I might potentially participate in, one of the rules is always when the challenge ends. The one thing that I don't like is that for many challenges they end after you beat the E4 in RBY, RSE, FRLG, and DPPt, which I think is fine, but then for GSC, HGSS, and BW they end after you beat Red or Alder, respectively. I personally think that all challenges should end when the credits of the game roll. Whenever considering doing a challenge on GSC, HGSS, and BW it always discourages me because I see that I would have to continue after the Elite Four and play the postgame to beat Red or Alder, which I think is a lot of work for a challenge.
              The reason Red and Alder are the end for those games is because in GSC, beating the E4 is real easy, and otherwise the game would be way too short imo. As for Alder being the final battle in BW, that's because you never beat the champion the first time.

IMO, the challenge ends when you beat the Champion of the game. I actually think that Wallace is a good ending for Emerald, but Red and Alder are the real champions of their respective games.
              Old February 18th, 2012 (12:07 AM).
              Challenge God

Yeah, I always pictured it as defeating the toughest trainer in the game. So I always beat Steven when I do emerald.

And as for the solos, sometimes I get lazy and don't deposit my HM slaves, but I don't buy revives, so i basically lose either way if my solo Pokemon faints. Some people play that you can switch to HM Slaves to revive/heal your main Pokemon, but I never do. The solo challenge isn't just "deal all damage with one Pokemon" its "only use one Pokemon"
                Old February 21st, 2012 (12:12 AM).
                Strange Quark

Nature: Quiet
                  I was thinking about a challenge where you can only use middle-stage Pokemon. Sure, it seems like an easier version of the unevolved challenge, but there's the Duo-species challenge... Just throwing it out there.

Forever alone since '99.
                  Old February 21st, 2012 (2:34 PM).
                  And Flounderp too!

If I am not mistaken in believing I can post challenge ideas on this thread, then here is my idea for a Pokemon Chess Challenge.
                    So far, rules are as follows:
                    Spoiler:

1) Can only catch the first 15 Pokemon encountered after Pokedex is obtained. Maximum 3 per route, though.
                    2) Nickname your captured pokemon in order:
                    - King (starter)
                    - Pawn x8
                    - Knight x2
                    - Bishop x2
                    - Rook x2
                    - Queen
                    3) Starter is the King; if it faints, game is over.
                    4) If a pokemon faints, release it.
                    5) Pawns and King cannot be given any items, including potions and TMs (N.B. HM slaves are permitted if progress cannot be made without them).
                    6) Knights can be healed in and out of battle as needed (excl. Revives/Max Revives).
                    7) Bishops can be taught TMs and HMs.
                    8) Rooks can be healed and taught TMs/HMs, but cannot evolve to the final form (middle form is ok).
                    9) The Queen can be both healed and taught TMs and HMs with no restrictions.
                    10) If the Queen faints then the first Pawn to OHKO a pokemon that Queen’s level may become a Queen (take it to the Name Changer to formalize the change).
                    11) Gyms challengers’ levels must be the leader’s strongest level or lower.
                    12) There must be at least one Pawn on the team at all times, and the King must be on the team at all times as well.
                    13) If at any time a pokemon is at least 5 levels higher than all others, release it as a penalty (optional).

I would really appreciate any feedback on what might go wrong with a challenge like this, before I try it out myself after my LG Nuzlocke.
                    Thanks in advance.
                    Old February 22nd, 2012 (1:05 AM).
                    There's nothing for me here...

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by GoGoShinyDunsparce View Post
                      If I am not mistaken in believing I can post challenge ideas on this thread, then here is my idea for a Pokemon Chess Challenge.
                      So far, rules are as follows:
                      Spoiler:

1) Can only catch the first 15 Pokemon encountered after Pokedex is obtained. Maximum 3 per route, though.
                      2) Nickname your captured pokemon in order:
                      - King (starter)
                      - Pawn x8
                      - Knight x2
                      - Bishop x2
                      - Rook x2
                      - Queen
                      3) Starter is the King; if it faints, game is over.
                      4) If a pokemon faints, release it.
                      5) Pawns and King cannot be given any items, including potions and TMs (N.B. HM slaves are permitted if progress cannot be made without them).
                      6) Knights can be healed in and out of battle as needed (excl. Revives/Max Revives).
                      7) Bishops can be taught TMs and HMs.
                      8) Rooks can be healed and taught TMs/HMs, but cannot evolve to the final form (middle form is ok).
                      9) The Queen can be both healed and taught TMs and HMs with no restrictions.
                      10) If the Queen faints then the first Pawn to OHKO a pokemon that Queen’s level may become a Queen (take it to the Name Changer to formalize the change).
                      11) Gyms challengers’ levels must be the leader’s strongest level or lower.
                      12) There must be at least one Pawn on the team at all times, and the King must be on the team at all times as well.
                      13) If at any time a pokemon is at least 5 levels higher than all others, release it as a penalty (optional).

I would really appreciate any feedback on what might go wrong with a challenge like this, before I try it out myself after my LG Nuzlocke.
                      Thanks in advance.
                      Woah, it's a pretty neat idea you've got there mister. :) it's nice but did I get the 11th rule right: So you can't be overleveled? other than that, that's an awesome idea. You should post it as a challenge.
                      Old February 22nd, 2012 (6:32 AM).
                      corvid

Nature: Timid
                      I think we had a Chess Challenge long ago actually. Or well, someone had been talking about it. ALSO. I finished my Christian Challenge. :D I'll soon be looking for another challenge to do on Emerald, after I catch all the legendaries to migrate to Platinum so that they can go off to gen V for the Pokedex lol. I might not decide to do a challenge though and instead just run through the game with Pokemon I have never used or haven't used in years. ...I think there's a challenge like that...HM.
                      Old February 24th, 2012 (12:56 AM).
                      My life would suck without you

Nature: Adamant
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by phonastik View Post
                      I was thinking about a challenge where you can only use middle-stage Pokemon. Sure, it seems like an easier version of the unevolved challenge, but there's the Duo-species challenge... Just throwing it out there.
                      That wouldn't be too bad. A lot of middle evolution Pokémon are forgotten. It'd be nice to use them once in a while.
                      Old February 25th, 2012 (1:02 AM).
                      Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
                        Hey, anyone who was around when I did remember that Platinum favorite challenge of mine ? The one in which I named my Pokemon after you guys ?
                        ...Anyone ?

Well, whatever. Either way, it did what BW didn't do : get me back into Pokemon.
                        And so did Pokemon Emerald, which I'm doing a normal playthrough of.
                        And by the way, I lost Pokemon SoulSilver this Summer in Tenerife. :[ Forgot it in the hotel room. I hope whoever finds it has a DS and realizes that it was a Nuzlocke.

Aaaand, who here has a 3DS ? :D

Old February 25th, 2012 (1:05 AM).
                        Me!

Nature: Rash
                          I got a 3DS :D. And it is a shame you lost your SS, how were you going on that? :(
                          Old February 25th, 2012 (1:58 AM).
                          Probably back.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by 11wildy View Post
                            I got a 3DS :D. And it is a shame you lost your SS, how were you going on that? :(
                            Well, I was carrying all my DS games in a DS retail game case. I lent my SS to my little brother since he wanted a Wi-Fi fight. Of course he lost, I was in Ecruteak and was doing a Nuzlocke. When he gave it back to me, I was playing something else and told him to leave it on my bed. I lost it and wasn't able to find it. :(

Old February 25th, 2012 (3:06 AM).
                            Me!

Oh that sucks :(. Will you do another Nuzlocke? I am currently doing a Crystal nuzlocke, on the nuzlocke forum, with screenshots and a little bit of a plot :D
                              Old February 26th, 2012 (5:03 AM).
                              Probably back.

I'm really short of time here... as I said, if I had time, I would, but right now I can't. Oh well... at least I managed to get together and return here. :D

Old February 26th, 2012 (10:26 PM).
                                Me!

Well, it's great to have you back here, even though the other people aren't even posting anymore :3
                                  Old February 29th, 2012 (7:28 AM).
                                  Come and get me

I had a idea were you playtrough a game using no Items only poké balls are allowed.
                                    Old February 29th, 2012 (12:05 PM).
                                    corvid

Nature: Timid
                                    Quote:
                                    I was thinking about that too. There are a lot of great middle evolution Pokemon. :)
                                    Old February 29th, 2012 (1:27 PM).
                                    Probably back.

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Sydian View Post

I was thinking about that too. There are a lot of great middle evolution Pokemon. :)
                                      I know, but the first one who comes to my mind is Dragonair. It's probably the only species whose middle evolution I prefer over its last. Don't take me wrong ; Dragonite is awesome too, but it just looks really odd compared to its awesome preevolutions.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply