Art Studio For visual art, photography, and music! Pokémon related or not, showcase or discuss anything related to the visual or musical arts.

Old January 29th, 2012 (6:58 PM).
  • Administrator
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Bashful
I'm definitely going to go with the third one here.

In my opinion, the purple in the first sprite blends in a lot with the red and it's difficult to really pay attention much less notice what it is; in the second, the black detracts attention from everything else (I imagine something lighter and not darker colors or black in that spot). It's too eye-grabbing and doesn't seem to match the sprite overall. I think the third version is best when it comes to sprite appeal and how well it matches the rest of its design.

. pair family twin mal lv llsif .

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 30th, 2012 (12:40 PM).
Prophet of Lightning

Nature: Relaxed
    Ok, so opinions on which is best are all over the place right now =P

Seriously, for the most part, all three designs have been equally liked seemingly.

So to complicate matters, I made even more designs:

I have some new palettes and a new eye design.

Right now I'm leaning towards 16, but I'd still love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Support Mega Man getting off the moon and help get Capcom to make Legends 3!
    Old January 30th, 2012 (2:06 PM).

Nature: Lonely
      I like 13. The repeated purple and black theme with the eye pattern really catches your eye. 16 seems a bit bland to me...

Old January 31st, 2012 (9:07 AM).

Nature: Serious
        Definately 13, this is one of my fav's out of alll your sprites!
        Old February 8th, 2012 (9:09 AM).
        Prophet of Lightning

So voting on Ariados evolution didn't yield a perfect result. Overall, it was almost even between realistic and non-realistic. non-realistic had just a few more votes for it, and I personally liked it better. Sadly I now know that not everyone will like the choice I went with, but 51% at least will =P

Missile Pokemon is no longer an ice type. Ice skates weren't enough of a reason to make it an ice type, and I couldn't really come up with a different way to do it. It's all fine though, because I think it turned out better by going a more simplistic approach.

Old February 10th, 2012 (12:51 PM).
          Prophet of Lightning

Did some fiddling around with Link again. Rather than add frames, I've decided to take some advice and add blurring instead.

Still not done with it yet. Still need to do the magic portion of it all, and a bit more movement in things like his hat and hair. Just sort of a progress update.

Old February 23rd, 2012 (5:53 PM).
            Prophet of Lightning

Nothing too serious or special. Was bored and toyed around with trying to sprite something with only one 'color'. Aka, I chose a color, and only altered the lightness and darkness. No hues shifting. Went with my second favorite Pokemon, Sandslash.

Old April 2nd, 2012 (6:56 PM).
              Prophet of Lightning

Finally got this sheet done. I've dropped the Qwilfish line, and just went with a platypus line.

Hydra is like way better now, I'm very content.

Narlight is pretty similar to what he was in the old days. One of the few things I did back then that I liked and felt I did a decent enough job on.

Old April 10th, 2012 (11:44 AM).
                DGXZ

Wow look at all the views on this thread. Mind you its an old thread xD
                  Anyway nice sprites. Its nice to see an improvement, good job.
                  On the platypus line, the ridge on the beak is rather off-centered on both sprites but mainly the second one. Also, on the second one, its arms are kinda weedy for its size, which I think makes the anatomy look off. Lastly, it looks a little fat, unless that's what you intended. However good job on them and the others too, very nice use of dithering.
                  Old May 20th, 2012 (1:25 PM).
                  Prophet of Lightning

I know I haven't been posting anything, but that's because my spriting has been mostly involved with a contest. Now that it's done, I'll post the stuff I'd been entering:

A flan recolor. Was first round, and I just thought this would be silly. I have a Ditto I nicknamed pudding, so that's kind of where the idea came from.

A 3rd gen style trainer sprite of Lina Inverse from the anime Slayers.

A remake of my Spinda evo.

Remake of my ice cube Fakemon.

A remake of my fire spiny lizard Fakemon.

Old May 21st, 2012 (2:06 PM).

I see you've improved a lot since your first sprites.
                      on the latest update ...
                      although I do not really like the shape of the evolution of Spinda, is well developed in shadows, outlines, ...

good luck ..
                      Old July 9th, 2012 (5:05 PM).
                      Prophet of Lightning

I know I've been like super slow with updates lately. Not sure why, I just haven't been spriting very often. I've done a little poking around, but no results to show yet. I was working with Poke World, but editing the Koopalings has thus far been obnoxious. I'd link to a video of the work I did on it, but it's pretty bad and I'm usually against showing off work that the maker knows is bad. I'll try and tweak it to the best I can do when I'm more ready to tackle that.

Yet I finally finished up the over worlds for that RPG I'm working on. Next up will be battle sprites.

All 8 protagonists are now done. Ryu is the main character, dual swords and wind magic. Raizou is my usual big buff axe and lightning wield Asgardian. Shun-Yu is the wacky Chinese Hopping Vampire. Moonblade is a mystic sword user type. Ray is a mixture of black and white magic. Shroomette is a blatant visual rip off and healer. Vargas is the team mimic, he copies spells and what not. Ira is a black mage. The columns sort of represent the character owners.

Old July 16th, 2012 (9:36 AM).
                        I always win.

Nature: Impish
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Jappio View Post
                          I know I've been like super slow with updates lately. Not sure why, I just haven't been spriting very often. I've done a little poking around, but no results to show yet. I was working with Poke World, but editing the Koopalings has thus far been obnoxious. I'd link to a video of the work I did on it, but it's pretty bad and I'm usually against showing off work that the maker knows is bad. I'll try and tweak it to the best I can do when I'm more ready to tackle that.

Yet I finally finished up the over worlds for that RPG I'm working on. Next up will be battle sprites.

All 8 protagonists are now done. Ryu is the main character, dual swords and wind magic. Raizou is my usual big buff axe and lightning wield Asgardian. Shun-Yu is the wacky Chinese Hopping Vampire. Moonblade is a mystic sword user type. Ray is a mixture of black and white magic. Shroomette is a blatant visual rip off and healer. Vargas is the team mimic, he copies spells and what not. Ira is a black mage. The columns sort of represent the character owners.
                          Those are really good! I like the Toadette Shroomette sprites, but the Shun-Yu ones are also really good.

You going to get back to Fakemon again? I'd like to see some more of those old Fakemon re-made, especially #602 and #603. As for the ice cube one, I think it could use a better evolution, because the old second stage looks mostly the same.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
                          Old March 12th, 2013 (2:25 AM).
                          Prophet of Lightning

Well... it's been awhile. This is sort of awkward.

So yeah, I haven't updated in awhile. The reason: I sort of forgot to post here. Getting a new laptop meant setting up my bookmarks manually. For some reason I forgot to mark this place, so every time I did some new spriting, I sort of didn't think to jump here either since I just go through my bookmarks.

Well, time to just sort of dump all the new stuff in one go:

All the Super PokeWorld Stuff I'll put here:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFVo_MhJxiU
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmB56VFLqxk
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3N6__TqXZQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXWsXkUUx8

Some little sprites I've made over the years that I never felt like showing off on their own since they really are just doodles:

Here are a set of some Fakemon. Some you may have seen already, but I have done a bit of tuning up and made a new one.

One of those Trainer+Pokemon sprites.

For a retyping round.

Overshading round.

I forget the theme, but I think it was some type of editing round.

A baby Pokemon round, so I skipped ahead on my remake list to get to this little guy.

A trainer sprite round.

Here's just a little something I ended up making by mistake. Sometimes I'll open paint, draw a few lines, make some dumb pattern, and close it off without saving. This time I ended up drawing something that looked like an upper torso, then I drew some lines to make the dress shape, and then I realized it looked a lot like that humanoid Toadette I always make.

So yeah, that's why this exists. I took my doodle and went with it since it wasn't looking too bad for once.

Wow, when I post it like that, it really doesn't look like I've been doing much spriting in the last couple of months.

Old April 9th, 2013 (8:54 PM).
                            Prophet of Lightning

So, some of you might remember that there was a little rabbit Fakemon I did that had a hat that was on fire. Well I ditched the idea for a poison rabbit instead. Ironically, after deciding on that, I ended up having a good reason to give it a similar hat. No evolution anymore, but this little plague rabbit may be a single piece to a set I have an idea for.

Also here is a video of me spriting it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=snIWMEaK80M

Old April 28th, 2013 (4:40 PM).
                              Prophet of Lightning

Some more Fakemon work.

I took the bush dragon concept and extended it an extra evolution since I'm dropping the pine-tree Fakemon I made.

I also again figured I'd start up my recording software while I was making the last form for those of you who like seeing the creation process:
                                http://youtu.be/BKx6umELbEE

Old May 2nd, 2013 (2:18 AM).
                                Prophet of Lightning

Well, I decided I wanted to practice poses, animations, and stuff, so I did some practice.

Ugg, this is a nightmare. I'm usually against posting stuff I know is bad, but this is a case of me not being sure where I went wrong, and I spent too many hours on this otherwise. Not sure if it's the general anatomy I'm messing up, what frames I ended up using, or where I have the sprite itself positioned. Any comments or critique welcomed.

I also have a bunch of the different stages of work I did. Here they are, in order of their creation.

I didn't know who to use for the longest time, but I eventually settled on Anna from Fire Emblem. If I had ended up doing better than I ended up with, I might have put in more detail and shading.

Old May 2nd, 2013 (8:01 AM).
                                  Burn...

Nature: Lax
                                    With your pokemario project, don't you think Cacnea would be better for a Pokey than Voltorb?
                                    Old May 5th, 2013 (10:19 AM). Edited May 5th, 2013 by Jappio.
                                    Prophet of Lightning

Well, there are a few reasons I feel I should keep Voltorb.

One would be the shape. Cacnea's have arms and junk. Not something that can't be implemented, but Pokey is just a bunch of balls stacked.

Another reason is that it makes sense to have a bunch of faceless Voltorbs for the body. I mean those are just Pokeballs. Faceless Cacnea is a bit weird.

Thirdly, I want to keep it restricted to mostly just 1st gen, with a bit of the other gens only bleeding in when I have to. Not so much for me, but more so for the sake of people who only know the original stuff.

----

Here is some more of that PokeWolrd stuff.

http://youtu.be/sQFcbket9ZY

Old May 12th, 2013 (3:34 PM).
                                      Prophet of Lightning

I have some more Fakemon sprites. Look, I finally made an evolution to the mechanical turtle.

Old May 21st, 2013 (11:59 AM).
                                        Prophet of Lightning

Ok, still practicing things like animation. After a tutorial in animating, I'm starting with the very basics now:

I know it' super simple, but basics are important from what I hear.

Old May 21st, 2013 (12:34 PM).
                                          highly-functioning sociopath

As in terms of animation, don't forget that you are missing a lot of the stretch effect from the squash & stretch from the ball. When the ball is moving downwards and upwards, to have a more dynamic animation you can create a stretching effect of the ball.

pair: Sheep
                                            Old May 26th, 2013 (6:50 PM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by Jappio.
                                            Prophet of Lightning

Thanks for the tip =)

I did try to do a bit of stretching in it, but I get paranoid sometimes when it comes to exaggerating an action too much sometimes, so it's a tad too subtle I suppose.

Ok, so moving on:

For the RPG I'm helping make, I figured I'd use my next step of practice on it. Battle sprites of course need to be made, so I decided to take the protagonist and make him an attack animation.

So obviously, I'm not done. However I'm at a crucial stage right now. Obviously I need to actually sprite the character, and not just his skeleton. Beyond the obvious lack of details though, I need to decide where to speed things up, slow things down, and add frames. This is all a very rough 'WIP' and I'm just sort of looking for some second opinions.

I know I need a frame for bridging between the last and first frames. I'm not sure where to go for the slices though. More frames might slow it down too much. I know animation wise, more would be nice, but on a sprite/game level you don't typically want too many frames in a movement like that, right?

I'm also unsure on things like the poses through them. I did my best to act out these actions, and those are what I felt I was doing, but I'm also not an official sword/axeman.

Oh well, that's why I'm taking a moment to stop an get some thoughts if possible, or in the very least let my head clear and come back to it.

Old May 26th, 2013 (8:25 PM).
                                              highly-functioning sociopath

It's hard to spot missing details without more flesh in the animation, but I think it lacks more twist. Like more bending to the knees added with more frames in the end to have a clean finish.

You can add some extra frames right before the first swing as well to smoothen it even more, but make sure the actual axe slash/swing stays very few frames as possible.

pair: Sheep
                                                Old June 24th, 2013 (8:27 PM).
                                                Prophet of Lightning

Well, I've finally got some work done.

Not fully complete yet, however I wanted to get another gauge of how I was doing. Below, I have a comparison of all the different frames I have.

I plan to probably add frame 2 back in. However for the rest... I'm not sure. I've gotten a mix of suggestions of what to do. I think what I have so far technically is passable (I'll have to do this and more for all the characters, so on the laziness side of things, I'd like if things weren't more complex than this). I mean more than 4 frames for a simple RPG attack animation is a bit much.

In general I'm still bad at setting the speed for the actual frames. I think I have something like: 1 - 3 - 3 - 5 - 5b - 7 - 7b - 1.

I don't know if I'm being lazy by not wanting to add more frames. I see where maybe I could add some, but I'm wondering if it's necessary for something as simple as a 16-bit style RPG.

I've missed a few small details on the sprite too I've realized. A tail, the ends of his belt that hang off the front, but I have the basic gist of it all here so far. Also that frame 2 I wanted to re-add.

Comments, critique, or whatever is all welcome of course.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links