ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Draconius GO
Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2012 (7:19 PM).
The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kamon137 View Post
    I'd like to find out how to adjust the music that plays during certain battles in Emerald version.

I've found out so far that it seems to depend on the trainer's title (for trainer battles), or the species (for wild Pokémon), and what I'd like to do is adjust a few of these that don't already have different music (i.e. adjust Articuno so that it plays the FR/LG legendary music, or adjust the Schoolboy trainers to play the FR/LG music).

Since Emerald already has all of FR/LG's music, I'm glad I don't have to mess around with importing new music, but I'd really like to figure out how to adjust the above. I've searched around for some answers for a couple days, but I've had no luck.

If none of that is possible, is there any other way to trigger a particular track of music during a wild/trainer battle?
    Its a bit complicated but this may help. Its for Ruby however so may not work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
    I still need that offset for the amount of money the player founds, but I also have another question. Basically, I need to make a box similar to the showmoney and showcoins box. But I need this box to display a certain string when its called in a script, in my case. I'd use a showpokemonpic command or something like that if i could, but I want the box to be smaller than 64x64. I'm hacking Firered, version 1.0, with JPANs hack engine. If someone could point me to a tutorial or something, I'd be most obliged.
    I'm still not sure where to access the money offset. Couldn't it be related to the PokeMart script in which your money is shown? As for your second question, I've been working on this on right now. As far as I can say right now you need to create your own ASM routine.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    I'm making a hack, and I have one problem...
    Marill, to breed to Azurill, need to have Sea Incense while breeding, but I don't to Marill breed Azurill in that way. I want it to breed in regular way.
    Same with others Pokemon that need Incenses to breed to lowest evolution stage.
    Do I need to modify it in hex?
    Or derp in ASM?
    Or there's a simple tool to modify this?
    Please help.
    I'm not exactly sure but I'll take a peek around to see what I can find.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jay the penguin View Post
    is there a way in Amap to expand the tileset count?
    Yes but only for the secondary tileset though. Go into A-Map, select a map, click the purple puzzle piece near the top, once the window opens click "Blocks," scroll to "Change amount" and select the max amount.

.:Aegis:.
    ~coming soon~

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 24th, 2012 (9:21 AM).
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
    Something I've always wondered but never really looked into; the door animations of Pokémon Ruby (and Emerald, if you like).

The animations that show when the player walks through a door in Pokémon Ruby and Emerald take up two tiles; the door itself, and the tile above it. This is not the case in FireRed or LeafGreen, where the doors' animations only use one tile. This means that in FireRed, doors can be interchangable between buildings and so on, but you can't get away with that in Ruby or Emerald, seeing as the tile above the door will always show, and so the tiles will be mismatched.

I'm aware that there are various tools out there to edit the door animations, but what I want to know is if anyone's managed to make an RSE door animation use just one tile? If I recall correctly, editing the animation so that the top tile is 'transparent' doesn't work, but I may be mistaken. Thoughts?

I'm working on an album of Pokémon-inspired music. Check out the Soundcloud link if you're interested!

This is my Soundcloud | | This is my bandcamp
    Old February 25th, 2012 (2:38 AM).

I assume this is where this goes. This is driving me up the wall. I've found the dozens of map editors etc....but is there a program that allows you to edit the pokemon directly? Like their evolution levels etc. PokemonAmplifier does it for all the GBA games, but I can't for the life of me find one for second gen games. The ONLY thing I want to edit is that...so I can maybe have a Kadabra that evolves, or Haunter etc. It'd amazing if it existed or if there's a way.
      Old February 25th, 2012 (2:51 AM).
      New hacker

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Masterchief1755 View Post
        I assume this is where this goes. This is driving me up the wall. I've found the dozens of map editors etc....but is there a program that allows you to edit the pokemon directly? Like their evolution levels etc. PokemonAmplifier does it for all the GBA games, but I can't for the life of me find one for second gen games. The ONLY thing I want to edit is that...so I can maybe have a Kadabra that evolves, or Haunter etc. It'd amazing if it existed or if there's a way.
        http://swamperttools.webs.com/downloads.htm
        look for a tool called poke edit or something like that
        Old February 25th, 2012 (8:07 AM).
        • Platinum Tier

Does anyone know the offset for the starting map/bank/co-ordinates for FireRed? I've been doing Hex searches for 0401FF0607 but can't find anything, I'm probably not even doing it right ><.
        Old February 25th, 2012 (9:31 AM).
        Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
        • Gold Tier

Quote:
        Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
        Does anyone know the offset for the starting map/bank/co-ordinates for FireRed? I've been doing Hex searches for 0401FF0607 but can't find anything, I'm probably not even doing it right ><.
        If what you want is to change the starting map, there's a tool for it. http://www.pokemonpoint.com/tools/start-map-chooser-advance/

Otherwise, I can't help, sorry.
        Old February 25th, 2012 (11:02 AM).

Well, this is a really basic question, but I couldnt really find it in any tutorials or the search function, because I assume people find it basic knowledge. Yet, I'm gonna ask it anyway.

How does the dynamic offset work? How do you know what code to use after '#dynamic'. And what does it even do. Really, I'm stumped.
          Old February 25th, 2012 (11:06 AM).
          • Platinum Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
          If what you want is to change the starting map, there's a tool for it. http://www.pokemonpoint.com/tools/start-map-chooser-advance/

Otherwise, I can't help, sorry.
          I have that tool, however the problem is that you can't change Y-Values with it.
          Old February 25th, 2012 (11:15 AM).

I learned some codes etc. but i need the code list for items,pokemons and movements...pls in notepad if someone has
            Old February 25th, 2012 (3:53 PM). Edited February 25th, 2012 by droomph.
            weeb
            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
            Well, this is a really basic question, but I couldnt really find it in any tutorials or the search function, because I assume people find it basic knowledge. Yet, I'm gonna ask it anyway.

How does the dynamic offset work? How do you know what code to use after '#dynamic'. And what does it even do. Really, I'm stumped.
            #dynamic is to find free space for you.

So instead of having to count all the bytes and doing math, you just have to pick out a random offset (e.g. 0x800000) and then it will count the bytes for you. Trust me it's easy.

Example:
            #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
            msgbox @hello 0x2
            release
            end

#org @hello
            = Hey!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Bojs View Post
            I learned some codes etc. but i need the code list for items,pokemons and movements...pls in notepad if someone has
            Google is your friend.

items.txt
            movements.txt
            stdpoke.txt
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
            I have that tool, however the problem is that you can't change Y-Values with it.
            Wait...

Does the Y-Value box not exist, or does entering a Y-value return an error?

Old February 25th, 2012 (4:19 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by droomph View Post
              #dynamic is to find free space for you.

So instead of having to count all the bytes and doing math, you just have to pick out a random offset (e.g. 0x800000) and then it will count the bytes for you. Trust me it's easy.

Example:
              [font="consolas"]#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
              msgbox @hello 0x2
              release
              end

#org @hello
              Ah well, that makes a bit more sense.

So, basically, by using #dynamic 0x800000 it starts with searching a free space to put in the script?
              Old February 25th, 2012 (6:35 PM).
              weeb
              • Crystal Tier

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
              Ah well, that makes a bit more sense.

So, basically, by using #dynamic 0x800000 it starts with searching a free space to put in the script?
              Yes. It looks at 0x800000 and checks if it corresponds to the "free" value (usually 0xFF). If there is enough free bytes in a row, it will overwrite those bytes to compile the script.

It is also smart, and instead of having to look at offsets (e.g. 0x809293) you will only need to match up logical labels (e.g. @hellomsg, @subtract) and it makes life a loooooot easier.

Old February 26th, 2012 (12:44 AM). Edited February 26th, 2012 by Kamon137.

I replaced Castform's sprites using the Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, and now I'm having an issue--the alternate forms are completely black. Looks like something happened in regards to their palettes, and I'm not sure what to do to make them use their original palettes.

For reference, I didn't alter their palettes at all--the new sprites share the old palette, which fits perfectly. But I don't know what to do to make the alternate forms use their old palettes again.

Any chance someone could run me through some steps to fix this?
                Attached Images
                File Type: png moemonemerald.PNG‎ (5.2 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                Old February 26th, 2012 (5:07 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by wierddude22 View Post
                  look for a tool called poke edit or something like that
                  Thanks for the reply...but I downloaded the program you're talking about and it only does the same as what I originally was working with...edit the stats/type...not the evolutions. If you were to use PokemonAmplifier, it lets you do that plus the level they evolve...that's the kind of thing I'm looking for it if exists.
                  Old February 26th, 2012 (5:52 AM).
                  The Unknown

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Masterchief1755 View Post
                    Thanks for the reply...but I downloaded the program you're talking about and it only does the same as what I originally was working with...edit the stats/type...not the evolutions. If you were to use PokemonAmplifier, it lets you do that plus the level they evolve...that's the kind of thing I'm looking for it if exists.
                    Try YAPE. It is very useful. I could highly recommend PGE's Pokemon editor if YAPE is not good enough.

.:Aegis:.
                    ~coming soon~
                    Old February 26th, 2012 (6:06 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
                      What I'm looking for is for the 2nd gen games. From what it looks like these ones you're talking about are for 3rd gen and/or GBA? Or am I (hopefully) wrong
                      Old February 26th, 2012 (1:10 PM).
                      No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
                        My ROM stopped working in Amap after I installed DNS, it works on 1.92, but when I try to load it in 1.95, it says "Cannot read bytes behind end of file. How can I fix this?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
                        Old February 26th, 2012 (2:47 PM).

Nature: Adamant
                          How (if possible) do I create new moves in Pokemon Fire Red without replacing any current ones?
                          Old February 26th, 2012 (4:48 PM).
                          Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by iRyahn View Post
                            How (if possible) do I create new moves in Pokemon Fire Red without replacing any current ones?
                            I see you posted in Chaos Rush's thread in Research and Development. Only if you wouldve scrolled down a bit further...

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=263479

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old February 26th, 2012 (5:12 PM).

Nature: Adamant
                              Where can I find a program that allows me to edit the pokemon of trainers in Fire Red?

I have not learned scripting for the trainer's pokemon if it exists. A link to a tutorial or tips on how to do that would be welcome.
                              Old February 26th, 2012 (5:59 PM).
                              Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                                Quote:
                                I replaced Castform's sprites using the Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor, and now I'm having an issue--the alternate forms are completely black. Looks like something happened in regards to their palettes, and I'm not sure what to do to make them use their original palettes.

For reference, I didn't alter their palettes at all--the new sprites share the old palette, which fits perfectly. But I don't know what to do to make the alternate forms use their old palettes again.

Did you check all the sprites in APSE for Castform? You never know, the pallate may be the problem.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
                                My ROM stopped working in Amap after I installed DNS, it works on 1.92, but when I try to load it in 1.95, it says "Cannot read bytes behind end of file. How can I fix this?
                                The way it sounds is as if the Rom has been slightly expanded, e.g. no longer 16 MB, but maybe something like 16.1 MB or something. You can check by opening it in a hex editor; the file should stop at 0xFFFFFF

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by drpepper111 View Post
                                Where can I find a program that allows me to edit the pokemon of trainers in Fire Red?

I have not learned scripting for the trainer's pokemon if it exists. A link to a tutorial or tips on how to do that would be welcome.
                                There is a tool called Advance Trainer, which allows you to edit pretty much anything about the trainers. As for scripting a trainer, use the following format:

trainerbattle [type of battle] [trainer number in A-trainer] 0x0 @challengetext @textwhendefeated.

The last two commands vary depending on the type of battle. 0x0 uses the two shown above. 0x1 is for gym or rival battles, uses an additional command after text when defeated, the pointer to what should happen after a battle. 0x4 is for double battles, and uses a different command after textwhendefeated, which would be what the trainer says if you only have one Pokemon. There are others, but for the sake of time, those three should be fine.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old February 27th, 2012 (12:37 AM).
                                Memento Mori
                                • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
                                Quote:
                                Were I you I'd put the desired sprite into another location in ROM and then repoint the Castform's sprite location.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                Old February 27th, 2012 (5:39 AM).
                                No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
                                  Yes, my ROM does appear to be resized, how can I make a map read it again.

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
                                  Old February 27th, 2012 (6:17 AM).
                                  Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
                                    Yes, my ROM does appear to be resized, how can I make a map read it again.
                                    The easiest way is to open your rom in a hex editor, highlight every byte after 0xFFFFFF and hit delete. But if the bytes you highlight aren't empty bytes (FF), then it might be a bad idea to delete them.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old February 27th, 2012 (9:37 AM). Edited February 27th, 2012 by ZangoMango.

Hey, is there any simple way I can just change the overworld player sprite to say, Gary or Lance? I'm not trying to edit the sprites, just make the player some other character already in the game, so I don't want to go into Overworld Editor and change pixel by pixel. Thanks
                                      Closed Thread

Quick Reply