ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #20701    
Old March 7th, 2012 (9:53 PM).
droomph's Avatar
droomph droomph is offline
weeb
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nowhere spectacular
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Posts: 4,291
How would I go about to change the number of Map Names on a Romhack? I can't seem to figure it out.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt



Relevant Advertising!

  #20702    
Old March 7th, 2012 (10:40 PM).
redriders180's Avatar
redriders180 redriders180 is offline
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quirky
    Posts: 540
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitelanimefan View Post
    Okay, so here's an odd request for you guys. I'm looking for something that will let me edit the moves in a japanese romhack. There's no english patch, so playing through it is...interesting. I should be able to manage fine though, since its pretty much just the plot of fire red. The PROBLEM is that battles are a pain, because I don't know whats happening at all. I know what moves my pokemon have, because its pretty easy to figure out based on the type and power, but my opponents...not so much.

    In THEORY, I should be able to edit the move names to english ones, but I don't have a tool that will work on a japanese rom. Everything I've tried so far doesn't play nice with it. Or, well, I'm ASSUMING its a language problem. It may very well not be, I've never done this before. @_@

    EDIT: I tried one of the tools on an unpatched japanese rom, and same result. So I am assuming its not an issue with the patching.
    Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by droomph View Post
    How would I go about to change the number of Map Names on a Romhack? I can't seem to figure it out.
    It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.
    __________________


    I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


      #20703    
    Old March 7th, 2012 (10:55 PM).
    digitelanimefan's Avatar
    digitelanimefan digitelanimefan is offline
       
      Join Date: Mar 2008
      Gender:
      Posts: 23
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
      Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.
      Is it possible you could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that?
        #20704    
      Old March 8th, 2012 (12:36 AM).
      droomph's Avatar
      droomph droomph is offline
      weeb
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Sep 2011
      Location: nowhere spectacular
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Impish
      Posts: 4,291
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by digitelanimefan View Post
      Is it possible you could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that?
      The charmap for Japanese should be easy to understand, as it is the kana chart (which is the Japanese alphabet if you didn't already care). It's "あいうえお", then "さしすせそ" (or something), and it's pretty straightforward from there, and it should take you about fifteen minutes to get the charmap figured out.

      So once you've figured that out, you take the hex values corresponding to the letters, and in a hex editor find the hex values (e.g. for "いいえ" you would search up "02 02 04", and change it however you wish, and you can repoint if necessary.
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
      It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.
      Where might this be? I tried to find something like it a long time ago, but couldn't. I appreciate
      __________________
      did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
      o i forgot 5
      uraqt


        #20705    
      Old March 8th, 2012 (5:48 AM).
      blackpikachu's Avatar
      blackpikachu blackpikachu is offline
         
        Join Date: Jan 2012
        Location: Indonesia
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 10
        Heyy... tut for season tool plis...
          #20706    
        Old March 8th, 2012 (7:14 AM).
        digitelanimefan's Avatar
        digitelanimefan digitelanimefan is offline
           
          Join Date: Mar 2008
          Gender:
          Posts: 23
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by droomph View Post
          The charmap for Japanese should be easy to understand, as it is the kana chart (which is the Japanese alphabet if you didn't already care). It's "あいうえお", then "さしすせそ" (or something), and it's pretty straightforward from there, and it should take you about fifteen minutes to get the charmap figured out.

          So once you've figured that out, you take the hex values corresponding to the letters, and in a hex editor find the hex values (e.g. for "いいえ" you would search up "02 02 04", and change it however you wish, and you can repoint if necessary.
          I meant the hex editing bit. I don't know how to do that, or what it means exactly. ;
            #20707    
          Old March 8th, 2012 (12:11 PM).
          wierddude22's Avatar
          wierddude22 wierddude22 is offline
          New hacker
             
            Join Date: Aug 2011
            Location: My house
            Age: 21
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 24
            Quick question, i've made an indoor area and the border block is differnt than the one i used, how do i solve it
              #20708    
            Old March 8th, 2012 (1:02 PM). Edited March 8th, 2012 by redriders180.
            redriders180's Avatar
            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
               
              Join Date: Jun 2010
              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quirky
              Posts: 540
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by digitelanimefan View Post
              I meant the hex editing bit. I don't know how to do that, or what it means exactly. ;
              Here is a basic overview of finding and replacing words with a hex editor...It's uses an english rom, but it's the same concept for a japanese rom...However, japanese characters don't seem to be built in to an english rom, so you'd have to have another way to find out what each japanese character is in hex.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by droomph View Post
              Where might this be? I tried to find something like it a long time ago, but couldn't. I appreciate
              This is what I used...it's difficult because just a plain Firered rom has space for only 196 names...108 names for Firered, and the remaining 88 names for locations in Hoenn (for compatibility). The tutorial on there has two options; either replacing the Hoenn names, or adding onto the list entirely.
              __________________


              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                #20709    
              Old March 8th, 2012 (7:27 PM).
              Decon082 Decon082 is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2010
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 5
                So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

                Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

                1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.

                2. How would you go about making the camera warp to a different map to show an event that's happening at the same time in a different location? My idea is that once the player enters the cave for the first time, the camera will warp to a different location while the screen fades out, and an event will be shown all the way across the map, and then the player will regain control back in the cave. I know there's a command to do this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

                Any tips would be appreciated.
                  #20710    
                Old March 8th, 2012 (7:35 PM).
                redriders180's Avatar
                redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                  Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quirky
                  Posts: 540
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Decon082 View Post
                  So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

                  Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

                  1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.

                  2. How would you go about making the camera warp to a different map to show an event that's happening at the same time in a different location? My idea is that once the player enters the cave for the first time, the camera will warp to a different location while the screen fades out, and an event will be shown all the way across the map, and then the player will regain control back in the cave. I know there's a command to do this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

                  Any tips would be appreciated.
                  I can try to help you with your second question. The best way to make a camera "warp" to a different place is to warp the player there, and immediately hide him using what we call a level script, which is a script that activates when you enter a map. There are different kinds, one being a script that activates once you warp into a building. There's also a kind that activates the very instant you enter a map, even before the fade effect has finished. You'd use the second kind to hide the player, and the first kind to start your script immediately. once the script is finished, warp the player to the entrance of the cave. Before you tackle that, i'd read up on level scripts.

                  As for your first question, I don't know any conventional, simple way to make that occur. Of course it's possible, but it requires tinkering with the games internal coding.
                  __________________


                  I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                    #20711    
                  Old March 8th, 2012 (7:44 PM).
                  Quickster's Avatar
                  Quickster Quickster is offline
                  Dream or Drop?
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2007
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quiet
                    Posts: 351
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Decon082 View Post
                    So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

                    Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

                    1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.


                    Any tips would be appreciated.
                    This is actually quite simple, if you look at this thread.
                    http://wahackforo.com/t-Hacer-el-efecto-Gris-para-un-FlashBack
                    __________________
                    I laugh looking at this.

                    But sometimes I want to come back to it...

                      #20712    
                    Old March 8th, 2012 (8:23 PM).
                    Decon082 Decon082 is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2010
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 5
                      Cool, thanks for the info. I'll look into this. I'm wanting to try to make the intro part over my break next week. I think I got a quite different storyline in mind.
                        #20713    
                      Old March 10th, 2012 (5:03 AM).
                      GoGoShinyDunsparce's Avatar
                      GoGoShinyDunsparce GoGoShinyDunsparce is offline
                      And Flounderp too!
                         
                        Join Date: Apr 2010
                        Location: Eastern Europe
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Lax
                        Posts: 137
                        I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere: what is the maximum selectable area for the World Map in FireRed? I know the map itself can be up to 208x144 pixels, but what area of that can actually be accessed with the cursor during the game?

                        Thanks!
                        __________________
                        Claimed:
                          #20714    
                        Old March 10th, 2012 (9:46 AM).
                        Nidote Nidote is offline
                        Nido-Nut
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2012
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Quirky
                          Posts: 3
                          Okay, I tried taking a look around and I don't think there were any answers to this but here goes.

                          Are there any basic hacking tools for Heartgold/Soulsilver? Nothing major like changing entire maps, I'm mostly only interested in editing pokemon, wild encounters (and their levels), trainers and optionally moves but the ONE tool I've seen so far is an editor that only works for gym leaders... on the japanese versions.

                          So yeah, is HG&SS just programmed so differently it makes it impossible to work with or has nobody just had an interest in doing tools or something? :>
                            #20715    
                          Old March 10th, 2012 (10:51 AM).
                          Outkin's Avatar
                          Outkin Outkin is offline
                          OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
                             
                            Join Date: Feb 2012
                            Location: Canada B.C.
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Quirky
                            Posts: 281
                            I was playing with maps in firered. I implnated a new map in the game, and every time I select it it says "canvas cannot be drawn on" or something like that. The menus can be a bit...stubborn....in the map, but otherwise I can still edit it, but I'm curious what this means.
                            __________________





                              #20716    
                            Old March 10th, 2012 (1:31 PM).
                            Rumille's Avatar
                            Rumille Rumille is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2012
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 72
                              How can you change the name of the maps in the map bank? For example, I apparently changed VIRIDIAN FOREST (1.0) in PALLET TOWN (1.0). How do I change this?
                                #20717    
                              Old March 10th, 2012 (1:38 PM).
                              Spherical Ice's Avatar
                              Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
                              • Moderator
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2007
                              Location: Bristol, UK
                              Age: 19
                              Posts: 5,185
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
                              How can you change the name of the maps in the map bank? For example, I apparently changed VIRIDIAN FOREST (1.0) in PALLET TOWN (1.0). How do I change this?
                              Go to the map in Advance Map, go to the Header tab, click on the first dropdown box, select Pallet Town, then click Change Name. Save the ROM, close A-Map, reopen and you should see your change has taken place :D

                              __________________

                              A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                              Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                                #20718    
                              Old March 10th, 2012 (2:55 PM).
                              Rumille's Avatar
                              Rumille Rumille is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Feb 2012
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 72
                                Thank you!
                                Next question: All of a sudden I can't get my outside-map tiles to be black. It works perfectly on all my other maps, but this one doesn't seem to get it.


                                The blue thing should be black. How do I solve thís?
                                  #20719    
                                Old March 10th, 2012 (3:53 PM).
                                DrFuji's Avatar
                                DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                                Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                • Crystal Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2009
                                Location: Downia-upside
                                Age: 24
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Jolly
                                Posts: 1,328
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by GoGoShinyDunsparce View Post
                                I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere: what is the maximum selectable area for the World Map in FireRed? I know the map itself can be up to 208x144 pixels, but what area of that can actually be accessed with the cursor during the game?

                                Thanks!
                                The total area that your cursor can access in the Town Map is 22 x 14 8x8 tiles. Basically this area is 176 x 112 pixels in size.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
                                Thank you!
                                Next question: All of a sudden I can't get my outside-map tiles to be black. It works perfectly on all my other maps, but this one doesn't seem to get it.


                                The blue thing should be black. How do I solve thís?
                                That's because you're using the wrong type of block when making that tile. In FR's tileset 0 the top left tile looks to be entirely black, when in fact it is not. This is because the black that makes up the tile is being used as Palette 0's transparent colour. As such, when you apply nothing but that transparent 8x8 block when making the tile you are seeing 'beyond the tile'. If you wish to have a completely black tile that shows up in tileset 0, you are going to have to change one of the palettes associate with the tileset so that it has a (non-transparent) colour that is perfectly black.

                                You can see why the tile actually comes out as being black when playing in interior maps because tileset 12's palette 5 has a colour that is both black and not transparent which is used to make up the tile.
                                __________________
                                  #20720    
                                Old March 10th, 2012 (5:48 PM).
                                Alec Empire's Avatar
                                Alec Empire Alec Empire is offline
                                Are you ready to testify?
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2012
                                  Location: New York
                                  Age: 23
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Rash
                                  Posts: 59
                                  I have a vague understanding of how to use the tools, but where do I get them? I've tried Whack a Hack, and some of the tools won't even open.
                                  __________________
                                    #20721    
                                  Old March 10th, 2012 (5:54 PM).
                                  droomph's Avatar
                                  droomph droomph is offline
                                  weeb
                                  • Crystal Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Sep 2011
                                  Location: nowhere spectacular
                                  Age: 20
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Impish
                                  Posts: 4,291
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Alec Empire View Post
                                  I have a vague understanding of how to use the tools, but where do I get them? I've tried Whack a Hack, and some of the tools won't even open.
                                  Try the "Toolbox" Forums. They have quite a few, and if you want, and you can try the "search" function if you can't easily find it in that Forum.
                                  __________________
                                  did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                                  o i forgot 5
                                  uraqt


                                    #20722    
                                  Old March 10th, 2012 (7:07 PM). Edited March 10th, 2012 by AnotherLevel.
                                  AnotherLevel AnotherLevel is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Mar 2012
                                    Posts: 1
                                    Wheres a good place to find custom BW mugshots/overworlds/trainer battle sprites from?
                                      #20723    
                                    Old March 11th, 2012 (2:04 AM).
                                    darkprince909 darkprince909 is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: May 2008
                                      Gender:
                                      Posts: 79
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                      Of course it's possible I was wrong. The only reason I assumed cmda06 wasn't necessary was because the tutorial for unlocking it in Firered made no mention of it. My assumption of the background bytes not working was because of the same tutorial, which only has a spot for inputting the ashy grass, the grass with ashy background, and the normal grass, and nothing else, but that may be because of the script.

                                      I assume (not like my assumptions seem to ever hold true) that there's a sort of table in the rom, which cmda06 calls. assuming that you could find this, you could write another ASM script which would handle the background tree tiles, and put it in the table in question. The simplest way, in my opinion, would be to add setmaptile scripts to each place underneath the tree, and play the animation involved with the puff of ash. All of these things I believe you can access in a script. setanimation and doanimation can play the puff of dust. (0x7 is the ashgrass dust cloud, but the list I have also says it does a setmaptile part, so 0xA should also work [0xA is the dust cloud when the player jumps off a ledge])

                                      And you explained it perfectly clear, i was just being stupid, so no hard feelings?
                                      So, um, I feel like a real noob for asking this, but how exactly would i find the table that controls the ashy grass and go about changing it so the right half of the tree top would work (basically, just adding one more linked block, similar to the normal ashy grass with nothing in front of it. that always changes to a specific block, and every other block changes to a specific other block.) I havent done any work with ASM before, and advanced scripting still eludes me (I am working on it though.) My areas of expertise, though are definitely in the graphical areas of hacking. If anyone more experienced than I would be so kind as to help out a fledgling hacker, I'd be truly grateful.
                                      And I've tried looking at tutorials, but it just seems to fly right above my head. I tend to learn a lot better with combined examples and hands-on, which makes tutorials sometimes not the best method, oddly)
                                        #20724    
                                      Old March 11th, 2012 (7:44 AM).
                                      redriders180's Avatar
                                      redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                      Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2010
                                        Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Quirky
                                        Posts: 540
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by darkprince909 View Post
                                        So, um, I feel like a real noob for asking this, but how exactly would i find the table that controls the ashy grass and go about changing it so the right half of the tree top would work (basically, just adding one more linked block, similar to the normal ashy grass with nothing in front of it. that always changes to a specific block, and every other block changes to a specific other block.) I havent done any work with ASM before, and advanced scripting still eludes me (I am working on it though.) My areas of expertise, though are definitely in the graphical areas of hacking. If anyone more experienced than I would be so kind as to help out a fledgling hacker, I'd be truly grateful.
                                        And I've tried looking at tutorials, but it just seems to fly right above my head. I tend to learn a lot better with combined examples and hands-on, which makes tutorials sometimes not the best method, oddly)
                                        There is a brief overview of cmda6 here and the ASM he used in the video with the color changing stuff here. The ASM he provides is annotated with comments, and most of the stuff is already done...All you'd need to do is change the values of some of the words at the bottom, which is simply the tile number in A-Map. If you still don't understand, I think I'd be able to help you further in VMs/PMs.
                                        __________________


                                        I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                          #20725    
                                        Old March 11th, 2012 (1:22 PM).
                                        Capitalist Ness's Avatar
                                        Capitalist Ness Capitalist Ness is offline
                                        can't stump the trump
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jul 2008
                                          Location: Poland
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Adamant
                                          Posts: 67
                                          Hello! I came back, with another simple(?) question!
                                          I replaced Shedinja with Chatot, and edited stats, and other things.
                                          So, I gave it to one trainer, and all my friends that tested my hack told me that Chatot was fainting to every single weakest move. Yeah, even Poison Sting. So, I caught it and checked its stats. And that's where problem is.
                                          Chatot has 1 hp.
                                          I seriously have no idea why. I thought that changing its base HP with YAPE 0.9 will change it. But no, Chatot has 1 HP.

                                          Is Shedinja's HP somewhere deeper in coding? Hex? ASM(God, please, not this)?
                                          I hope you guys help me, I'm counting on you.

                                          And seriously, I hope I didn't ask for something that was never mentioned before(really? no one cares about breeding?) again. It's like 830 pages here!
                                          Closed Thread
                                          Quick Reply

                                          Sponsored Links
                                          Thread Tools

                                          Posting Rules
                                          You may not post new threads
                                          You may not post replies
                                          You may not post attachments
                                          You may not edit your posts

                                          BB code is On
                                          Smilies are On
                                          [IMG] code is On
                                          HTML code is Off

                                          Forum Jump


                                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:27 PM.