Second Generation Following the success of Red, Blue and Yellow, Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal introduced fans to an exciting new world full of new Pokémon to find, catch and train. Reminisce about your favourite moments in the Johto region, share your adventures and argue about the Johto master race.

Draconius GO
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old April 3rd, 2012 (8:58 PM).
botface23's Avatar
botface23 botface23 is offline
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 19
    Yup it just happened, my internal batter ran dry for both my pokemon gold and my brother's silver. I just turned it on and just like that the message came up. I've had those games since December of 2000 and have been playing the same save since day one and I just turned it on to play again and nothing.

    How long have you had your games until their batteries ran dry?
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old April 4th, 2012 (1:25 AM).
    Tee519's Avatar
    Tee519 Tee519 is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2012
      Location: Belfast
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 11
      Same here with both silver and gold! But my Blue, yellow and crystal are still going strong!! apart from that i know my ruby has also packed it in >.
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old April 4th, 2012 (5:24 PM).
      Jorgomli's Avatar
      Jorgomli Jorgomli is offline
         
        Join Date: Mar 2012
        Location: Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lonely
        Posts: 47
        The only battery that ever died on me was a 3rd gen game xD, but I recently replaced the battery in my Red, and am ready for my Blue/Yellow/Gold/Crystal/Silver/Japanese Gold/Gold to run dry, and I have the materials to change them, should the need arise. :D

        If you want to replace the battery, but don't know what you need or how to go about it, I have a guide on the last page of the Simple Question & Answer Thread stickied in this forum.
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old April 5th, 2012 (8:48 AM).
        botface23's Avatar
        botface23 botface23 is offline
           
          Join Date: Apr 2012
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 19
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Jorgomli View Post
          If you want to replace the battery, but don't know what you need or how to go about it, I have a guide on the last page of the Simple Question & Answer Thread stickied in this forum.
          Sweet man I may just have to do that!

          on a scale of one to ten how hard is it to open after you undo the screw? does it just pop open? or do you have to pry it open? I haven't done this with gb cartridges just with my xbox's and my computers if that gives you an idea on how much experience I have with this type of thing. Also sorry if that doesn't make sense I'm runnin on a dying battery with a horrible wifi connection so I'm trying to do this fast haha.
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old April 5th, 2012 (5:47 PM).
          Yoshiko75's Avatar
          Yoshiko75 Yoshiko75 is offline
          Shadow of the Night
             
            Join Date: Feb 2008
            Location: Johto
            Age: 25
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Brave
            Posts: 141
            When the battery runs dry, the save file is completely gone, right? Replacing the battery won't bring it back, but will allow you to save a new game?
            __________________

            Banner and Avatar made by SwampertTrainer

            3DS/Pokemon Y FC: SERENA 3995-6509-7075
            Black FC: HANAKO 4255 2777 1990
            Diamond FC: HIKARI 3222 3066 3911
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old April 5th, 2012 (6:06 PM). Edited April 5th, 2012 by Jorgomli.
            Jorgomli's Avatar
            Jorgomli Jorgomli is offline
               
              Join Date: Mar 2012
              Location: Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
              Age: 25
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Lonely
              Posts: 47
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by botface23 View Post

              on a scale of one to ten how hard is it to open after you undo the screw? does it just pop open? or do you have to pry it open?

              The cartridge is very easy to open when you unscrew it. It won't just come off, you have to slide the face down before it will come off though. *Slide down, pull bottom towards you.* So it's a solid 2. All you have to do is unscrew, slide down, pull off. Reverse to put it back on.

              (Also, I'm inexperienced too, I have never opened my xbox, but I have opened my PC. I go to ITT Tech, and my first class was opening PCs and playing around with the stuff inside.)

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Yoshiko75 View Post
              When the battery runs dry, the save file is completely gone, right? Replacing the battery won't bring it back, but will allow you to save a new game?
              Exactly, my friend! Your save is gone forever if your battery dies or is taken out. So no, replacing the battery will not bring it back. Whilst perusing the interwebs, I found that first and second gen games save to the cart's RAM. And if you know anything about RAM, you should know that anything stored to RAM gets erased AS SOON AS the power is cut off. What the batteries do in the carts is constantly power the RAM. Constantly. for YEARS. Most people will say that the average battery life of Gen I games is about 10-15 years. Gen II is roughly 5-7 years, based on the amount of times you save. Gen II is shorter because the battery has to power both the RAM and the (Crystal oscillator? Not sure of the name but what is does clock function. This means that the RAM and clock are constantly functioning, constantly sucking the battery dry from the time of the first save until the battery dies or is replaced.

              HOWEVER. There is indeed a way to back-up your save(s) to your PC by purchasing a certain tool (hardware), but I won't go into that here. Any and everything you need to know is in the Simple Q&A Thread (Personally, I think if I added some photos to clarify, the post would be good enough to sticky, but that's just me ^-^)

              Gen III and on USE batteries, but they only power the clock (except in FR/LG which have no clock). Apparently Gen III+ save your game to FLASH memory, which means it's pretty much indefinitely saved, unless something happens to the cart (Accidentally leaving it in your pants and washing it, etc.).

              I'm whiting out the last paragraph as it pertains to Gen III+, highlight it if you want to read, but this is the Gen I and II forum, so I don't want to anger any of the mods, they seem to be a little sensitive about the content in their forums, and a little OCD ^-^
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old April 6th, 2012 (7:29 AM).
              Yoshiko75's Avatar
              Yoshiko75 Yoshiko75 is offline
              Shadow of the Night
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2008
                Location: Johto
                Age: 25
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Brave
                Posts: 141
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jorgomli View Post
                Exactly, my friend! Your save is gone forever if your battery dies or is taken out. So no, replacing the battery will not bring it back. Whilst perusing the interwebs, I found that first and second gen games save to the cart's RAM. And if you know anything about RAM, you should know that anything stored to RAM gets erased AS SOON AS the power is cut off. What the batteries do in the carts is constantly power the RAM. Constantly. for YEARS. Most people will say that the average battery life of Gen I games is about 10-15 years. Gen II is roughly 5-7 years, based on the amount of times you save. Gen II is shorter because the battery has to power both the RAM and the (Crystal oscillator? Not sure of the name but what is does clock function. This means that the RAM and clock are constantly functioning, constantly sucking the battery dry from the time of the first save until the battery dies or is replaced.

                HOWEVER. There is indeed a way to back-up your save(s) to your PC by purchasing a certain tool (hardware), but I won't go into that here. Any and everything you need to know is in the Simple Q&A Thread (Personally, I think if I added some photos to clarify, the post would be good enough to sticky, but that's just me ^-^)
                Thanks! I never knew that the save file was actually being saved to RAM, so now it makes much more sense to me. I might have to check into that tool to back-up my saves, or else it will be a very sad day when my battery runs dry...lol.
                __________________

                Banner and Avatar made by SwampertTrainer

                3DS/Pokemon Y FC: SERENA 3995-6509-7075
                Black FC: HANAKO 4255 2777 1990
                Diamond FC: HIKARI 3222 3066 3911
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old April 6th, 2012 (7:39 AM).
                Tee519's Avatar
                Tee519 Tee519 is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2012
                  Location: Belfast
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quirky
                  Posts: 11
                  think i might actually replace mine in gold and silver. Do you actually know how much it is to buy a new battery for it??
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old April 6th, 2012 (7:59 AM). Edited April 6th, 2012 by Jorgomli.
                  Jorgomli's Avatar
                  Jorgomli Jorgomli is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2012
                    Location: Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
                    Age: 25
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Lonely
                    Posts: 47
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Tee519 View Post
                    Do you actually know how much it is to buy a new battery for it??
                    I got the right battery for $0.99 USD on eBay. I heard you can get them from WalGreens or similar stores though, but I'm an introvert. I'd much rather do my shopping online than look stupid in a store not knowing what to get xD

                    But yeah, CR2025 for $0.99 from an eBay user named cavegamers.

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Yoshiko75 View Post
                    I might have to check into that tool to back-up my saves, or else it will be a very sad day when my battery runs dry...lol.
                    Yeah, it's a bit pricey, though. About $25 USD. (Idk the currency here, so I'll just keep clarifying USD lol)

                    Also, I emailed the supposed seller about a month ago and I haven't gotten a reply, so Idk what's going on there. I would try to email them, but look for another seller as well.

                    Another thing about that, you need a serial port on your computer. Most older PCs have them, but very few newer ones do. It's easy to get a serial port - USB adapter, though. I would guess >$5 on eBay lol.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old April 6th, 2012 (1:30 PM).
                    Sydian's Avatar
                    Sydian Sydian is offline
                    i'm a shapeshifter
                    • Crystal Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2008
                    Location: Alabama
                    Age: 25
                    Nature: Timid
                    Posts: 32,190
                    Quote:
                    they seem to be a little sensitive about the content in their forums, and a little OCD ^-^
                    Yeah, because people can't read what forum this is and they reply to topics about newer games and I want to punch them in the face, cause this forum could really use good activity. PS though, whiting out a line and then saying I'll get mad isn't the best way to go around it. If your post is mainly on topic, there's no big deal. Don't try to be sneaky, cause that will make me mad. js. ;)

                    Anyway, all six of my older games work. I don't know how long they have left, though and sometimes I'm too afraid to turn them on and find out how they're doing. :/
                    Reply With Quote
                      #11    
                    Old April 6th, 2012 (6:54 PM).
                    Jorgomli's Avatar
                    Jorgomli Jorgomli is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2012
                      Location: Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Lonely
                      Posts: 47
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Sydian View Post


                      Yeah, because people can't read what forum this is and they reply to topics about newer games and I want to punch them in the face, cause this forum could really use good activity. PS though, whiting out a line and then saying I'll get mad isn't the best way to go around it. If your post is mainly on topic, there's no big deal. Don't try to be sneaky, cause that will make me mad. js.

                      Anyway, all six of my older games work. I don't know how long they have left, though and sometimes I'm too afraid to turn them on and find out how they're doing. :/
                      Oh no, I completely understand why you would want to keep order, but I don't think that mentioning 3rd Gen games should warrant a locked thread, and I've seen a couple instances in different forums of this kinda thing happening. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just some observations I've made.

                      In my opinion, there's a little too much organization on this site. I could see how trying to find the right forum to post about a certain subject would become very tedious for newer members (like myself) and it would turn them off of the site. I can see how anything related to any Pokemon game could go into Pokemon Gaming Central, but there are subforums for each gen, then one for spinoffs. Idk, it's a little too specific for my taste. I usually hang around in the gen I and II forum, and only go to others for a very specific question or concern I have.

                      And I wasn't necessarily trying to be "sneaky," just highlighting it so only the people who are interested in knowing about something that doesn't belong in this section will read it. People who don't care would move on, and wouldn't jump off-topic to the other gens I was discussing. Sorry if that angered you at all, it was most certainly not meant to. <3

                      And, back on topic. You should definitely try your old games, even if they don't work, you can replace the battery and relive the feelings you felt when you first started playing. My very first game, Blue, still works. :D

                      And if I haven't said it before, gen I batteries last ~10-15 years, and Gen II about half of that, so ~5-7 years (due to the clock).
                      Reply With Quote
                        #12    
                      Old April 9th, 2012 (3:15 PM).
                      Flan's Avatar
                      Flan Flan is offline
                      has the bird flu.
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2006
                        Location: NYC
                        Age: 20
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 389
                        It's a sad day when my batteries run dry. My favorite, Gold, ran dry recently, after replacing it 8 years ago. q; Oh well, I'll leave it like that. My Silver's still running strong, having never had its battery replaced. One day my RBY saves will disappear too, which stinks but they haven't died yet. Darn you, batteries, for deleting my memories.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #13    
                        Old April 14th, 2012 (12:55 PM).
                        Yoshikko's Avatar
                        Yoshikko Yoshikko is offline
                        the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Jul 2011
                        Gender: Other
                        Nature: Hasty
                        Posts: 3,041
                        Well, both of my Gold cartridges don't save files anymore haha, so they're pretty busted, and the clock of my Sapphire game has stopped, but other than that it works fine. And surprisingly, my Yellow which I've had for over 10 years now works perfectly.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #14    
                        Old April 23rd, 2012 (7:04 AM).
                        Captain Fabio's Avatar
                        Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Apr 2006
                        Location: London, UK
                        Age: 28
                        Nature: Lax
                        Posts: 12,264
                        All of the games I have are still going strong; I checked the other day.

                        I won't be too sad when they do actually die, just gives me an excuse to start over once more! :)
                        Reply With Quote
                          #15    
                        Old April 24th, 2012 (6:53 AM).
                        Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
                        Mr Cat Dog Mr Cat Dog is offline
                        Frasier says it best
                           
                          Join Date: Apr 2004
                          Location: London, UK
                          Age: 27
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Relaxed
                          Posts: 11,411
                          My Gold version has run dry but my Blue still has some juice in it, which is weird given that I bought the games in chronological order. Maybe there's some weird voodoo going on in that Blastoise or something...
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                            #16    
                          Old April 24th, 2012 (9:34 AM).
                          arbok's Avatar
                          arbok arbok is offline
                          cobra pokemon
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2012
                            Age: 23
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 196
                            yeah my Cyrstal died recently, it was a very sad day that I lost my beloved Feraligater. Didn't know you could replace the battery though. I'm a little scared I'd end up ruining the game even more if I started unscrewing stuff though.
                            __________________
                            my Kanto poison team

                            Bulbasaur-Ivysaur-Venusaur
                            Ekans-Arbok
                            Zubat-Golbat-(with nat. dex)Crobat
                            Nidoran(M)-Nidorino-Nidoking
                            Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
                            Tentacool-Tentacruel
                            Reply With Quote
                              #17    
                            Old April 27th, 2012 (4:50 AM).
                            fuz fuz is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2012
                              Posts: 16
                              This is why I bought one of those special Gameboy/Gameboy Colour screwdrivers and a dozen replcement batteries so that I could replace the battery.

                              The depressing thing is whenever you need to change the battery means you've lost the game... It would be nice if you could back it up - I think there are devices that can do that but I haven't tried them.
                              __________________
                              JSPKMNe Video | GitHub
                              Reply With Quote
                                #18    
                              Old April 27th, 2012 (5:39 AM).
                              Jorgomli's Avatar
                              Jorgomli Jorgomli is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Mar 2012
                                Location: Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
                                Age: 25
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Lonely
                                Posts: 47
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by arbok View Post
                                yeah my Cyrstal died recently, it was a very sad day that I lost my beloved Feraligater. Didn't know you could replace the battery though. I'm a little scared I'd end up ruining the game even more if I started unscrewing stuff though.
                                It's a pretty quick fix, and there's not much to mess up. Just make sure you don't cut or damage the circuit board, which when you open it it up, you should see this isn't easy to do lol.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by fuz View Post
                                This is why I bought one of those special Gameboy/Gameboy Colour screwdrivers and a dozen replcement batteries so that I could replace the battery.

                                The depressing thing is whenever you need to change the battery means you've lost the game... It would be nice if you could back it up - I think there are devices that can do that but I haven't tried them.
                                The GB Transferrer II, but I emailed the (only?) seller of them, and they never emailed me back, so idk what's going on there. I wish I could get my hands on one.
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #19    
                                Old April 30th, 2012 (10:47 AM).
                                Sephirothxx's Avatar
                                Sephirothxx Sephirothxx is offline
                                Likes Ruby version
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                                  Location: The world.
                                  Age: 21
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 139
                                  Sorry to hear your battery died, man. I really hate that stuff. My Crystal version's battery was recently nearly dead, and thank God I have a classic link cable, or I would not have been able to back up my pokemon. I hope you can at least find the patience to open up the cartridge and replace the battery. I've had to do that quite a few times, and I'm surprised my Gold version hasnt died yet.
                                  __________________
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #20    
                                  Old May 20th, 2012 (2:18 AM).
                                  Freako's Avatar
                                  Freako Freako is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Feb 2012
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Posts: 268
                                    My Pokemon Gold could stopped hold a save yet my other Gold was just fine.
                                    I decided to open it up and I found that somehow the solder had came off the battery... somehow. I really don't know how it could have disconnected but I soldiered it back on and it's good as new.
                                    __________________

                                    Reply With Quote
                                    Reply

                                    Quick Reply

                                    Join the conversation!

                                    Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                    Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                    Sponsored Links
                                    Thread Tools

                                    Posting Rules
                                    You may not post new threads
                                    You may not post replies
                                    You may not post attachments
                                    You may not edit your posts

                                    BB code is On
                                    Smilies are On
                                    [IMG] code is On
                                    HTML code is Off

                                    Forum Jump


                                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:46 PM.