• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Addressing the problem involving batteries dying and being replaced.

No, there is no way to charge it. Yes, pretty much the only way to replace it is to get another one with an internal battery that stills works (while extremely rare), or to get an emulator and whatnot.

OBJECTION! It's actually extremely easy to replace the battery in any Pokemon game. First you need the correct watch battery, CR2025 for the GBC games, including G/S/C (which use the battery for the clock function as well as keeping your save saved to the RAM.), and CR1616 for the GBA games that use the clock function -- R/S/E. The tricky part is getting the cart open. I ordered a special bit that can be used with certain screwdrivers for $5 on lukiegames website. I used scissors my first time opening my Pokemon Red cart. While effective, it's not pretty and I scratched up the screw a lot. There is also a way to do it by melting the opening of a pens ink-barrel and letting it form to the screw, then opening it that way.

After you open the cart, the only thing you have to do is take the battery off of the tabs that hold it in. It's kind of difficult, as it's soldered onto the battery. I used a razor blade and an X-Acto knife, because I'm familiar with working with razors. As always, be careful. After about 20 minutes I finally got the first tab off, and 10 minutes afterward, I got the second one from underneath. You have to be really careful not to scratch the circuit board or your game may not function properly.

Now that you have the battery off, take the time to straighten out the tabs that were connected to the battery. This is essential for keeping the battery in contact with the circuit board. The straighter, the better.

Ok, now that the tabs are straight, take your new CR2025 battery and slip it between the tabs, fat-side down. If your confused about what side is positive/negative, look at the circuit board. I'm pretty sure what ever side is supposed to go down (+/-) is printed on there.

Now, after the battery is placed in between there (it won't stay there until this step is complete), you have a couple of choices.

1.) You can go the more expensive, difficult route and solder the battery back in.

2.) You can go the cheap, easy, recommended route (I did this one because I don't own a soldering iron.) and use Scotch tape. I used thin strips of it that I cut using scissors or a razor. You can touch the tape to the circuit board, but be very careful not to go over any of the circuits. It's okay to go around the edge of the cart, but be careful of the other side.

3.) (Untested) You can go the semi-permanent route and glue it in. I haven't heard of anyone trying this, but idk why it wouldn't work.

Make sure that the tab on the bottom are in contact with the circuit board. Secure the battery down so it won't move if the cart gets tossed on your bed or something, or else you'll have to open the cart all over again if it loses contact, and you'll lose your save.

To answer a couple questions I anticipate will be here or have already been asked:

Yes, you WILL lose your save if the battery dies or you take it out. Why? because the battery keeps the save on the RAM on the cartridge. Like computers, RAM only stores data if it's powered on. As soon as the power goes out or is taken away, everything on the RAM is erased, and to my knowledge, unrecoverable. (This is ONLY FOR GBC GAMES. R/B/Y, G/S/C)

There IS a way to back up your GBC saves, but it's expensive. There's a utility out there called GB Transferer 2. I'm not trying to advertise, but the only site I've seen it on sale from is hkems or something like that. I sent them an email last week, and they haven't responded to me though. Be careful if you're buying this online, as it's really easy to fry the board, essentially breaking the device. My guess would be people would try to sell broken ones, just be careful. ~$23 USD.

No, you will not lose save data if you change your battery on the GBA carts. The battery, to my knowledge, is used solely for the clock function. If the battery dies, the clock will simply stop working and no clock-based or time-based or day-based events will occur. That means there will be no night time, which means no Espeon or Umbreon (right?...) because they evolve at night. My guess is when the battery is replaced, the game will return to normal, but I haven't tried this yet.

Yes, there is a screwdriver made for the screw on GBA carts. I got one for ~$1 USD on eBay. It's a tri-wing screwdriver and a lot of Nintendo Products use tri-wing screws.

Yes, there is a special device used for opening GB and GBC carts. It's called a 3.8mm Steel Security bit. It is just the bit that is commonly used with certain screwdrivers, but some reviews say that you don't even need the handle. ~$6 with shipping from Amazon.

"My GB/GBC games don't save." - This doesn't necessarily mean that your game is fake or garbage. Easy to replace batteries using the above method. Try that before throwing your game away or selling it. Much more economical to pay for one $1 battery.

"What about GBA games? How come the battery doesn't affect saves in those games?" - From what I have heard browsing the web for this answer, I have come across this. 3rd Gen pokemon games (R/S/E, Fr/Lg) save to Flash Memory instead of saving to RAM like previous games. This means that the saves are independent of the battery. And according to some sources, I guess Fr/Lg don't have batteries because they don't utilize the clock function.

Quick Reference guide:
GB/GBC Battery: CR2025
GBA Battery: CR1616
Pokewalker Battery: CR2032 (Might as well throw it in here)
*Batteries are generally available at a Walgreen's or Wal-Mart, but I get mine on eBay for $0.99/each, free shipping.

GB/GBC Screwdriver: 3.8mm Security bit/Gamebit (It's made specially for fixing and opening game cartridges.)
GBA Screwdriver: Tri-Wing.
*All available on eBay/Amazon.

Optional:
Scotch/Electrical Tape.
Scissors.
Razor Blade/X-Acto knife.

All-around estimated cost:
GB/GBC: $7 if you don't have the tool, $1 if you do.
GBA: $2-$3 if you don't have the screwdriver.
Time: About an hour if it's your first time doing it. All depends on how long it takes to get the old battery out. New battery in is ~2-5 minutes.

Now go out there and revive those dusty cartridges! :D

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You mean ROMs? If you want ROMs, you will have to Google them. We can't give them out here. If you want working copies of games, try a local gaming store if you have one. If you don't, then there's still eBay, but be very careful when buying games from there.

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2012
So I just landed in Vermillion City with a Feraligatr Ho-Oh and Amparos Level 40 or higher. Now my other pokemon are complete and utter crap. A Dragonair Lv 35 that knows no moves of significance, and a Swinub Lv 26 that I was trying to train for the Pkmn League. Where should I train to build up exp and levels before the other gyms?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
So I just landed in Vermillion City with a Feraligatr Ho-Oh and Amparos Level 40 or higher. Now my other pokemon are complete and utter crap. A Dragonair Lv 35 that knows no moves of significance, and a Swinub Lv 26 that I was trying to train for the Pkmn League. Where should I train to build up exp and levels before the other gyms?

That's the bad thing about the 2nd generation; no good places to grind. The only place that has worthy high level Pokemon at the moment is probably Victory road. I'd go back there and get all your Pokemon to at least about 43+ Once you get further into Kanto you'll find that all the trainers give some quite good EXP. :)

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
Best Pokemon Team. (B/R/Y)

[SIZE="a"]So I've never finished a Pokemon game before and, um, well I have all of them.

The one that I want to beat first though is Blue. So I'm wondering what you guys think is the best class For (B/R/Y)

K I guess I'll see you in my next post! Bye![/SIZE]

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years
Best way of SE training?

hey guys. i started playing pokemon silver again this year since a group of friends and i had a "retro fever" on pokemon games from a while ago.

well, as far as i know, stat experience is gained when you defeat as many foes to get your stats reach the top. well, i´ve been wondering... since i use rare candy raising up to lv90 and +10 vitamins in everything, then fighting elite four like 25 times until i get stats get to limit, i´ve been wasting some time i would like to borrow. sssssooo, my question is, if i used a lucky egg (which i dont have yet), would the stat experience double as well?

thx for replying.

Perriechu

Years
hey guys. i started playing pokemon silver again this year since a group of friends and i had a "retro fever" on pokemon games from a while ago.

well, as far as i know, stat experience is gained when you defeat as many foes to get your stats reach the top. well, i´ve been wondering... since i use rare candy raising up to lv90 and +10 vitamins in everything, then fighting elite four like 25 times until i get stats get to limit, i´ve been wasting some time i would like to borrow. sssssooo, my question is, if i used a lucky egg (which i dont have yet), would the stat experience double as well?

thx for replying.

Do you mean stat experience as in when you level up you get '+' in a stat? If so, Lucky Eggs only affect the experience, not the stat gain. Stat gain is influenced by Ev's.

[SIZE="a"]So I've never finished a Pokemon game before and, um, well I have all of them.

The one that I want to beat first though is Blue. So I'm wondering what you guys think is the best class For (B/R/Y)

K I guess I'll see you in my next post! Bye!

What do you mean by best class?

Last edited:

Tsukimaru

Double battles veteran
Years

Do you mean stat experience as in when you level up you get '+' in a stat? If so, Lucky Eggs only affect the experience, not the stat gain. Stat gain is influenced by Ev's.

What do you mean by best class?

ehhh, no, EV didnt exist back then. the training method was called Stat Experience, which is basically experience gained by stats depending on which pokemon you defeat. it`s almost like EV, but a little complexer (imo)
since it works with the experience gained in battle, what i meant to ask is that if you use a lucky egg (which doubles experience), you gain as double SE Exp. points as regular Exp.

Perriechu

Years
ehhh, no, EV didnt exist back then. the training method was called Stat Experience, which is basically experience gained by stats depending on which pokemon you defeat. it`s almost like EV, but a little complexer (imo)
since it works with the experience gained in battle, what i meant to ask is that if you use a lucky egg (which doubles experience), you gain as double SE Exp. points as regular Exp.

Oh, well then. :x I'm not really familiar with the mechanics of Gen I/II. Bulbapedia or Serebii may have something on it. Mostly Bulbapedia, though. Or even Smogon. I suggest checking those sites! :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2012
Problems trading between Pokemon Gold and Silver

Hello! I'm new to this forum, so if the thread is placed wrong, I do beg you pardon.

Me and my friend decided to trade some Pokemons between the two versions. He is using a GBA SP and i use a GBA. The cable is called Gamester. The problem is, that the 2nd player always has to save before the trading can begin, while the 1st player doesn't. This in the other hand, makes the whole thing fail. It tells the other player is not yet ready, or that it has been timed-out. I have no idea how to make this work, or if it's even possible. But I do hope some of you do. Maybe I need a new cable?

If there is someting you dont understand, please ask!
Thank's in advance!
PokeLux

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hello! I'm new to this forum, so if the thread is placed wrong, I do beg you pardon.

Me and my friend decided to trade some Pokemons between the two versions. He is using a GBA SP and i use a GBA. The cable is called Gamester. The problem is, that the 2nd player always has to save before the trading can begin, while the 1st player doesn't. This in the other hand, makes the whole thing fail. It tells the other player is not yet ready, or that it has been timed-out. I have no idea how to make this work, or if it's even possible. But I do hope some of you do. Maybe I need a new cable?

If there is someting you dont understand, please ask!
Thank's in advance!
PokeLux

To trade between Gold and Silver you need to use a Gameboy Colour/Gameboy link cable and Gameboy Colour/Gameboys. GBA stuff won't work.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2012
To trade between Gold and Silver you need to use a Gameboy Colour/Gameboy link cable and Gameboy Colour/Gameboys. GBA stuff won't work.

Oh, crap! So, it won't work with only a GB/GBC cable with GBA/GBA SP? We both have to use GB/GBC, plus a new cable?

Thank you for your reply!

EDIT: I just found a forum-thread and a picture that shows you actually can connect two GBC games using two GBA cables. But since I can't link to other websites, I'll just go ahead and quote the other person.

Basically, you have two GBA devices, and two GBA cables. You plug the small (P1) connector from the first cable into the middle section of the second cable. Plug the small (P1) connector from the second cable into the middle section of the first cable. Your link cables should now make a loop on the inside, with both big (P2) cables not yet plugged in.

So, is this worth giving a try?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
I've always wondered how does Diglett use scratch or slash if he doesn't have any arms? LOL. Maybe it does but it never shows what is under a Diglett... o_O

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's not a game question, just a common Nintendo logic thing. So yeah. There's your answer.

Anyway, is it normal for a game to ask you if you want to reset the clock? My Silver died the other day, and I popped in Crystal today and it still works, but I was afraid it was gonna die because it was like "NO SET TIME" on the continue option. Then it asked me to reset the time. And it works fine. Please tell me it's not about to die, lol. :( Or is this even normal. Never had this happen with any other game.

Also, who do I register in my PokeGear for Thunderstones? I think it's a picnicker on the route left of Ecruteak, but I wanna double check.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
Years
My crystal asked me to reset the time the last time I got on it too and the save was still fine. I haven't been on it for about 3 years, so I imagine the hardware that keeps track of time somehow to got off. I can't guarantee that the battery won't die soon, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back