• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen DS instead of 3DS

Incepticon

The Fakemon Spriter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
Why don't you think this game is being made for the 3DS?

Years
My guess is that Gamefreak wants to keep all of Gen V on the same console, for trade-ability and to signify it's still the same Gen. Also, they probably want to keep it on the DS to appease the fans who haven't bought a 3DS yet and so they could explore the full capabilities of the DS. Lastly, they probably are keeping it on the 3DS because they may not have explored the full functioning of the 3DS and/or got it connected to the global link etc.

Those are just my theories on why they unfortunately haven;t made pokemon a 3DS title :(

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Simplest answer is to keep it compatible with B/W. They wouldn't split a generation in half by moving it to a new console mid way.

Incepticon

The Fakemon Spriter
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
I guess I see what you guys are saying. I know it would have split it and that it would have been difficult but I still would have liked it to have been done..

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
It's probably compatibility, but they did manage to split consoles between Gold/Silver and Crystal.

First, Gold/Silver and Crystal were all officially for GBC, so they actually weren't split.
Second, differences between DS and 3DS are FAR more advanced than between GB and GBC. It wouldn't be possible to make 3DS game compatible with older console, like Gold/Silver originally made for GBC were compatible with GB. DS and 3DS are too much different systems to do that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

None of you own a 3DS? 3DS's ARE compatible with regular DS's. The only thing they cannot do is join the PictoChat. Other than that, the games can link up just like normal.

They could have made it a 3DS game with DS game trading software cause a DS game can still be read on regular DS systems when Trading.

Compatibility is not an issue.

@Wombatrio.

No Gold and Silver were released for the Gameboy but were compatible with the Gameboy Color, Super Gameboy and Super Gameboy 2. Crystal was the only Pokemon Game released specifically for the Gameboy Color. So yes, they were split between two consoles upon release. Design wise though, G/S were supposed to be for the GBC. The indent of the cartridge was inward though so the game itself is a Gameboy game with color enhancements.

EDIT: B2W2 are very similar to this though. B2W2 is a DS game that is compatible with the 3DS system. It can sync up with an App to be released that functions close to that of the PokeWalker for HG/SS in the aspect of Catch Additional Pokemon and sending them to the Game. So even though B2W2 is a regular DS game it is compatible with 3DS which raises the question, was B2W2 intended to be a 3DS game and dropped to a DS game for earlier release or were the 3DS add ons a hurried addition to the game itself?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013

None of you own a 3DS? 3DS's ARE compatible with regular DS's. The only thing they cannot do is join the PictoChat. Other than that, the games can link up just like normal.

They could have made it a 3DS game with DS game trading software cause a DS game can still be read on regular DS systems when Trading.

Compatibility is not an issue.

I wasn't talking about trading.
What I meant was that 3DS-only game wouldn't be able to be played on DS because differences between DS and 3DS are far more advanced than only color addition between GB and GBC. B2/W2 made only for 3DS would have totally different graphic engine than B/W and Game Freak wouldn't introduce new 3DS engine in the middle of generation, they are saving it for future generation.

@Wombatrio.

No Gold and Silver were released for the Gameboy but were compatible with the Gameboy Color, Super Gameboy and Super Gameboy 2. Crystal was the only Pokemon Game released specifically for the Gameboy Color. So yes, they were split between two consoles upon release. Design wise though, G/S were supposed to be for the GBC. The indent of the cartridge was inward though so the game itself is a Gameboy game with color enhancements.

I'm not sure about this. Even if they were able to be played on GB, I'd say Gold/Silver were GBC games because their full graphic could be experienced only on GBC and they were advertised as GBC games. I think Crystal would be able to be played on GB as well but it was made impossible only for marketing reasons.

Years
Simplest answer is to keep it compatible with B/W. They wouldn't split a generation in half by moving it to a new console mid way.

100% agreed, it seems like Game Freak are showing respect for those Pokefans who haven't got a 3DS yet like myself.

Also, it's for compatibility with the original Black & White.

And keep in mind that a 3DS can play both DS and 3DS games.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Compatibility, as well as business. Conceivably more people own a DS than a 3DS, so there's a much larger market for DS games. If Game Freak were starting a new generation, then it might make more sense to start straight on the 3DS, but for a continuation of Gen V, sticking with the DS makes sense from a compatibility and business standpoint.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Compatibility, as well as business. Conceivably more people own a DS than a 3DS, so there's a much larger market for DS games. If Game Freak were starting a new generation, then it might make more sense to start straight on the 3DS, but for a continuation of Gen V, sticking with the DS makes sense from a compatibility and business standpoint.
Couldn't have said it any better than this. Other than for compatibility reasons, GameFreak is a company looking to make money. Releasing it for the 3DS, while the 3DS is still "fresh" per say would have hindered them from reaching larger sales compared to releasing it for the DS which can still be purchased by those who own a 3DS today. Should they start another generation in a few years, however, then I can see them moving onto the 3DS platform entirely.

I'm okay with GameFreak continuing B2/W2 on the DS systems though, considering I still have yet to buy a 3DS for myself. /me not being selfish at all

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
Notice that every generation they seem to wait more time with release for new console:

G/S got released in about 1 year after GBC release
R/S got released in about 1,5 years after GBA release
D/P got released in almost 2 years after DS release

How much time they will take for 3DS release? It's likely to be about 2 years or even more after 3DS release meaning sometime in 2013.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
As others have said, it was probably because more people own a DS than a 3DS right now, I myself dont have one so Im happy I wont have to buy one to play B/W2, though I plan to buy one reletively soon. They should finish up Gen 5 on the DS then move to the 3DS for Gen 6, so Im not surprised that they did so.

GlaciaFox

A wandering Elite Glaceon
Years
My guess is that Gamefreak wants to keep all of Gen V on the same console, for trade-ability and to signify it's still the same Gen. Also, they probably want to keep it on the DS to appease the fans who haven't bought a 3DS yet and so they could explore the full capabilities of the DS. Lastly, they probably are keeping it on the 3DS because they may not have explored the full functioning of the 3DS and/or got it connected to the global link etc.

Those are just my theories on why they unfortunately haven;t made pokemon a 3DS title :(

I agree on this. not everyone owns a 3ds n besides it works backwards anyway so they really don't need to add 3ds capabilities to it plus its a sequel to the first ver. so why add 3ds ish stuf to it? n also, i think in the future they'll have a pokemon game for the 3ds anyway beside it being pokemon rumble so theres still time ahead of us to look upon n be patient on it if anyone really want it 3ds compatible.

Years
A lot of people complained that B2W2 weren't on 3DS, but I think for the most part they've seen the reasoning behind it as more info was revealed. I think the fact that they're still technically in Gen V is enough for them to be on DS. I know that Crystal, unlike GS, was only on GBC, but aside from that I'm glad that B2W2 are on DS, not 3DS. As a lot of people have said, it's not like EVERYONE has a 3DS and while I'd like one, I wouldn't buy one solely to play a new Pokemon game. I've no doubt in the world that Gen VI will be on 3DS, so until then B2W2 is perfectly fine on DS.

Years
Most likely because the amount of people who have a DS, compared to the amount of people with a 3DS is a million miles in the difference. Simple really, more opportunity for sales.​

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2020
Dude, Gamefreak =/= Nintendo. Only Nintendo gains the benefit from extra 3DS sales and would make GF look like duche bags for forcing their fans to buy something which is not worth it (yet). Atleast thats the signal they are giving me anyway.

They wouldn't gain anything from a 3DS game than more headache, (i don't think releasing it later would make no difference for better graphics, B/W already set the bar). Since B/W is already on the DS and as said before, rather useless to make 3DS exclusive, its wise to keep it that little line up with its predecessor. They are a master piece in its on right on the DS, perfect "bon voyage" game to remember my phat DS after all these years.

Besides I wouldn't risk it either if i were in their shoes, thats what they have side games for!
At very least they have a excuse for bad 3D/graphics and can fully implement 3D/improve it for Hoenn remakes(or 6th gen, which ever comes first) as a fresh start.

And this, dear laides and gentlemen, is called business marketing, and a kid who has woke up on the wrong side this morning. (Or night, depending where you live :P)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
tbh I think because they want to start off on 3DS with RS remakes, however, it could also be because then it's a true sequel and so on. :x

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
I actually, understand why BW2 is being on DS - there's no point in maing a 3DS game based on DS engine.

I really hope that 6th Gen comes before RSE remakes.

Back