Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old May 5th, 2012 (8:15 PM). Edited May 6th, 2012 by snogaws.
snogaws snogaws is offline
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Posts: 56
    Note: A few posts down I have another team that I'm looking for feedback on.

    I'm very new to wifi battling, and just put this team together. I look forward to hearing your constructive criticism.


    Swampert (Male) @ Leftovers
    Torrent
    EV's unknown
    Stats: HP 399/Atk 350/Def 211/SpA 185/SpD 216/Spe 136
    Adamant (+ Atk, - SpA)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Waterfall
    - Avalanche
    - Earthquake

    The goal of Swampert is to be a physical attacker who can set up Stealth Rock at the beginning of the battle.

    NOTE: ^ This pokemon is probably going to be replaced by something else.


    Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
    Download
    EV's unknown
    Stats: HP 311/Atk 173/Def 169/SpA 400/SpD 186/Spe 279
    Modest (+ SpA, - Atk)
    - Tri Attack
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Thunderbolt

    Porygon-Z's purpose is to be an incredibly strong Special Attacker, with a wide variety of move types.


    Electivire (Male) @ Expert Belt
    Motor Drive
    EV's unknown
    Stats: HP 291/Atk 372/Def 139/SpA 198/SpD 175/Spe 289
    Adamant (+ Atk, - SpA)
    - ThunderPunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake

    I think the goal I had in mind for Electivire is to be a strong physical attacker and use a wide variety of move types so Expert Belt's effects can be seen more often.



    Dusknoir (Female) @ Leftovers
    Pressure
    EV's unknown
    Stats: HP 291/Atk 222/Def 331/SpA 164/SpD 332/Spe 113
    Lax (+ Def, - SpD)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Punch
    - Trick Room
    - Pain Split

    Trick Room allows the use of slower but still powerful pokemon, like the Tyranitar below.


    Tyranitar (Female) @ Choice Band
    Sand Stream
    EV's unknown
    Stats: HP 402/Atk 403/Def 245/SpA 175/SpD 223/Spe 142
    Adamant (+ Atk, - SpA)
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Dragon Dance (this needs to be changed -- but with what?)
    - Earthquake

    Fairly bulky Physical Sweeper, possibly used after Trick Room Dusknoir.



    That's my team, please offer me constructive criticism, I'm always looking for improvements. thanks!

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old May 5th, 2012 (10:05 PM).
    PlatinumDude's Avatar
    PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
    Nyeh?
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Canada
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Hasty
    Posts: 12,847
    All of these suggestions are assuming Gen V. If this is a Gen IV team, sorry for not realizing that.

    I agree with replacing Swampert. Ferrothorn is more appropriate for getting hazards up because of its good defensive typing and high defenses:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip/Protect
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

    While Porygon-Z has its merits in OU, it's not good enough there because of its weakness to Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave (both moves frequently come from Conkeldurr, Breloom and Lucario respectively). Alakazam or Volcarona can replace it. Both have the same Special Attack, but are faster:

    Alakazam:
    -Substitute/Calm Mind
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard

    Volcarona:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
    -Bug Buzz
    -Hidden Power (Ground/Rock)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

    or
    -Quiver Dance
    -Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
    -Bug Buzz
    -Rest
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 160 HP/252 SAtk/96 Spe
    Item: Chesto Berry

    If you're playing Gen V, replace Electivire's ThunderPunch with Wild Charge.

    Lax is a terrible nature on Dusknoir. I don't think Trick Room would be a good fit, considering a fair few of your Pokemon are fast. It's better off with a standard defensive set:
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Punch/Shadow Sneak
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def
    Item: Leftovers

    In that case, keep the DD Tyranitar set. It's actually pretty decent if you play it right.
    __________________

      #3    
    Old May 5th, 2012 (10:10 PM).
    A Sadistic Bastard A Sadistic Bastard is offline
       
      Join Date: Feb 2012
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 548
      Replace Dusknoir with Dusclops. Dusclops can take hits much better than Dusknoir with eviolite. I use Dusclops with all of my teams so I would recommend using it.
      __________________

      ----------------------------------
      White FC: 2580 7669 3124
      Platinum FC: 5028 8983 1499
      ----------------------------------
        #4    
      Old May 5th, 2012 (10:14 PM).
      snogaws snogaws is offline
         
        Join Date: Jul 2011
        Posts: 56
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
        All of these suggestions are assuming Gen V. If this is a Gen IV team, sorry for not realizing that.

        I agree with replacing Swampert. Ferrothorn is more appropriate for getting hazards up because of its good defensive typing and high defenses:
        -Stealth Rock/Spikes
        -Leech Seed
        -Power Whip/Protect
        -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
        Nature: Relaxed
        EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
        Item: Leftovers

        While Porygon-Z has its merits in OU, it's not good enough there because of its weakness to Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave (both moves frequently come from Conkeldurr, Breloom and Lucario respectively). Alakazam or Volcarona can replace it. Both have the same Special Attack, but are faster:

        Alakazam:
        -Substitute/Calm Mind
        -Psychic/Psyshock
        -Shadow Ball
        -Focus Blast
        Nature: Timid
        EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
        Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
        Ability: Magic Guard

        Volcarona:
        -Quiver Dance
        -Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
        -Bug Buzz
        -Hidden Power (Ground/Rock)
        Nature: Timid
        EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
        Item: Life Orb

        or
        -Quiver Dance
        -Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
        -Bug Buzz
        -Rest
        Nature: Modest
        EVs: 160 HP/252 SAtk/96 Spe
        Item: Chesto Berry

        If you're playing Gen V, replace Electivire's ThunderPunch with Wild Charge.

        Lax is a terrible nature on Dusknoir. I don't think Trick Room would be a good fit, considering a fair few of your Pokemon are fast. It's better off with a standard defensive set:
        -Will-o-Wisp
        -Pain Split
        -Earthquake
        -Fire Punch/Shadow Sneak
        Nature: Impish
        EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def
        Item: Leftovers

        In that case, keep the DD Tyranitar set. It's actually pretty decent if you play it right.

        Woops, should have been more specific this is Gen IV.
          #5    
        Old May 5th, 2012 (10:32 PM).
        Crashcore Crashcore is offline
           
          Join Date: May 2012
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 13
          T-wave on Porygon should be considered as it Porygon is a very effective user of T-wave.
            #6    
          Old May 5th, 2012 (10:45 PM).
          PlatinumDude's Avatar
          PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
          Nyeh?
          • Gold Tier
           
          Join Date: Aug 2010
          Location: Canada
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Hasty
          Posts: 12,847
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Crashcore View Post
          T-wave on Porygon should be considered as it Porygon is a very effective user of T-wave.
          For Porygon2 yes, but Porygon-Z can't use it well because of its poor defenses.

          Speaking of Porygon-Z, it's better off with Trick over Dark Pulse to screw over walls with its Choice item. BoltBeam coverage is already good when coupled with Tri-Attack.
          __________________

            #7    
          Old May 6th, 2012 (6:09 PM). Edited May 6th, 2012 by Folly~.
          Folly~ Folly~ is offline
             
            Join Date: Jul 2011
            Location: N/A
            Age: 20
            Posts: 47
            Honestly, I think you should go for Levitate Bronzong over Porygon-Z all together. He would make up for some of your team's lack of special defensive capacity, which really is only being compensated for by Dusknoir. Either that, or ditch Electivire, because more often than not, it's rendered useless by most opponents. (Which really bothers me, because I love the thing. xD) In place of it, you could try a Breloom with any sub-punch or Bulk Up set.

            Sorry if this doesn't help at all. ^^; Just figured I'd get it out there.

            Bronzong @ Leftovers
            Ability: Levitate
            Nature: Impish
            EVs: Def 255 / Sp. Def 255
            ~Hypnosis
            ~Toxic
            ~Protect
            ~Gyro Ball
              #8    
            Old May 6th, 2012 (6:53 PM).
            PlatinumDude's Avatar
            PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
            Nyeh?
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2010
            Location: Canada
            Age: 23
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Hasty
            Posts: 12,847
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Folly~ View Post
            Honestly, I think you should go for Levitate Bronzong over Porygon-Z all together. He would make up for some of your team's lack of special defensive capacity, which really is only being compensated for by Dusknoir. Either that, or ditch Electivire, because more often than not, it's rendered useless by most opponents. (Which really bothers me, because I love the thing. xD) In place of it, you could try a Breloom with any sub-punch or Bulk Up set.

            Sorry if this doesn't help at all. ; Just figured I'd get it out there.

            Bronzong @ Leftovers
            Ability: Levitate
            Nature: Impish
            EVs: Def 255 / Sp. Def 255
            ~Hypnosis
            ~Toxic
            ~Protect
            ~Gyro Ball
            While Bronzong does sound like a good replacement for Porygon-Z, the set and its EVs are out of place. First, you'll have to max out its HP followed by the defenses, and any offensive stats, if possible. It also has to have a Relaxed nature to make Gyro Ball hit harder. What I mean is seen here:
            -Toxic
            -Hidden Power (Ice)/Gyro Ball
            -Payback
            -Earthquake/Explosion/Hypnosis
            Nature: Sassy
            EVs: 252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/92 SDef
            Item: Leftovers
            Ability: Levitate
            __________________

              #9    
            Old May 6th, 2012 (7:28 PM). Edited May 6th, 2012 by snogaws.
            snogaws snogaws is offline
               
              Join Date: Jul 2011
              Posts: 56
              OK, I decided to start from "semi-scratch". If you can give me feedback on this team as well I'd appreciate it. Some of the pokes are the same.


              Smeargle @ Salac Berry
              Own Tempo
              EV's 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
              Jolly (+ Spe, - SpA)
              - Baton Pass
              - Belly Drum
              - Spore
              - Substitute

              Smeargle's goal here is to set up Metagross for a powerful physical sweep with Belly Drum and Baton Pass.

              Metagross @ [Expert Belt or Choice Band?]
              Clear Body
              EV's unknown
              Stats: HP 298/Atk 405/Def 265/SpA 225/SpD 214/Spe 239
              Lonely (+ Atk, - Def)
              - Meteor Mash
              - Earthquake
              - Explosion
              - Bullet Punch

              Metagross is my main Physical Sweeper. with the baton passed Belly Drum from Smeargle along with Choice Band (if I decide to use it) I calculated Metagross's attack to be well over 1000. That may be overkill though, I'm not sure.

              Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
              Download
              EV's unknown
              Stats: HP 311/Atk 173/Def 169/SpA 400/SpD 186/Spe 279
              Modest (+ SpA, - Atk)
              - Tri Attack
              - Ice Beam
              - Dark Pulse
              - Thunderbolt

              Porygon-Z's purpose is to be an incredibly strong Special Attacker, with a wide variety of move types.


              Miltank (Female) @ Leftovers
              Thick Fat
              EV's unknown
              Stats: HP 394/Atk 196/Def 332/SpA 98/SpD 157/Spe 244
              Impish (+ Def, - SpA)
              - Heal Bell
              - Milk Drink
              - Body Slam
              - Stealth Rock

              Miltank is my bulky cleric. with good Defence and HP and Heal Bell I find it to be a pretty good choice.


              Gengar (Male) @ Life Orb
              Levitate
              EV's unknown
              Stats: HP 254/Atk 149/Def 128/SpA 367/SpD 166/Spe 312
              Rash (+ SpA, - SpD)
              - Focus Blast
              - Pain Split
              - Substitute
              - Shadow Ball

              This is my main Special Sweeper. While I also have Porygon-Z, Gengar isn't locked into a move and has more options. It will be able to last longer in battle.


              Last pokemon - ??



              I know I might get some criticism for the smeargle, but I just think it's really cool.

              Thanks for your feedback everyone. I am taking it all into consideration.
                #10    
              Old May 6th, 2012 (7:39 PM).
              PlatinumDude's Avatar
              PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
              Nyeh?
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: Aug 2010
              Location: Canada
              Age: 23
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 12,847
              HUGE weakness to Fighting you got there, even with Gengar. Scizor also rips through this, even though Metagross can help tank its hits. A bulky Gyarados can help against both of these:
              -Dragon Dance
              -Taunt
              -Waterfall
              -Stone Edge
              Nature: Adamant
              EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe
              Item: Leftovers

              or
              -Rest
              -Sleep Talk
              -Waterfall
              -Roar
              Nature: Impish
              EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
              Item: Leftovers
              __________________

                #11    
              Old May 7th, 2012 (2:32 AM). Edited May 7th, 2012 by Folly~.
              Folly~ Folly~ is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2011
                Location: N/A
                Age: 20
                Posts: 47
                ^^A suggestion for that last missing pokemon:

                Volcarona @ Leftovers
                Bold
                Flame Body
                EVs: 240 HP/ 216 Def/ 52 Spe
                ~Quiver Dance
                ~Fiery Dance
                ~Morning Sun
                ~Bug Buzz

                This is another bulky fill-in to get rid of some of your fighting weakness. If you could get both PD's Gyarados idea and this on the team somewhere, you should be good to go. Just watch out for Stone Edge. (If you're at risk of that, Metagross should be a healthy switch-in to take the hit.)

                Edit: It just occured to me that this is a gen IV team... Sorry. I can't really help there as I have no experience in the gen IV metagame. I guess this would be a good suggestion if you decide to take the team into gen V. xD
                  #12    
                Old May 7th, 2012 (4:36 PM).
                snogaws snogaws is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2011
                  Posts: 56
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                  HUGE weakness to Fighting you got there, even with Gengar. Scizor also rips through this, even though Metagross can help tank its hits. A bulky Gyarados can help against both of these:
                  -Dragon Dance
                  -Taunt
                  -Waterfall
                  -Stone Edge
                  Nature: Adamant
                  EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe
                  Item: Leftovers

                  or
                  -Rest
                  -Sleep Talk
                  -Waterfall
                  -Roar
                  Nature: Impish
                  EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
                  Item: Leftovers
                  Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll go with the latter moveset though.
                   
                  Quick Reply

                  Sponsored Links
                  Thread Tools

                  Posting Rules
                  You may not post new threads
                  You may not post replies
                  You may not post attachments
                  You may not edit your posts

                  BB code is On
                  Smilies are On
                  [IMG] code is On
                  HTML code is Off

                  Forum Jump


                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:02 AM.