• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Returning Characters (Speculation)

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
I don't think we'll see any protagonists except Red which plays his role in GSC and remakes. It's very unlikely since in all games we can choose gender. I'm happy our BW Rivals have grown but seeing Cheren with his final team in BW and seeing him as First Gym Leader is awkward. He should be the last leader, e4 member or the Champion.

Cid

Years
I made a mature comment about Bel earlier in the chatroom, but I… find it really awesome that they're back in these games. It doesn't look like a role as major as they had in the previous games, but I'm so glad they didn't pretend like they don't exist. And they've grown!

As for the B/W main characters… you have to hope we find out something about them. :P

Recent games give you subtle enough hints though.

Yes, that's one of the few things I'm happy about for the duo's return. They seem to have matured, even though Cheren's outfit looks rather shabbier than before. But I never would have allowed Game Freak to not even include those two among the characters they plan to return! And I do wish the two years doesn't just make them forget about the playable protagonist.

Hints like the few lines they speak of, if I remember the usual treatment returning characters get. And it would be too much to ask, wanting back stories for all these returning characters. Honestly, I just want them to pick out a few fitting Gen V Pokémon into their teams and I'll enjoy the rematches.

Regarding the return of the playable character (male or female), I expect at the least a slight mention from Bianca and/or Cheren. It would make no sense if he or she got written out of history when it's supposed to be a sequel of sorts.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
Years
Personally I'm a bit annoyed. Not because of the characters hasn't grown the whey we "all" imagined but the way people respond into these things. The most of you seem to think that it's somehow bad that Cheren was made to be the first Gym Leader while it's not at all. That is a clear sign that he has grown from inside too.

If you remember, Cheren was all the time emphasizing power and didn't really seem to understand that it really isn't the key to win. But now as we see him as the first Gym Leader of Unova we can in this case make an assumption that he has finally understand that in order to win you need more than pure power. You need to have a connection with your pokémons and all sorts of stuff like that. And I myself can clearly see him talking about this topic before the player challenges him.

Later on in the game it's more than possible that he can be rebattled and then he has his sort of the real team with him.

And what comes to the tournament, I am definitely happy to see Giovanni in there. All the other Gym Leaders are good but Giovanni is different. His dark, mysterious and he surely will put up a good fight. ^_^ But personally I don't see for example Red returning.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Personally I'm a bit annoyed. Not because of the characters hasn't grown the whey we "all" imagined but the way people respond into these things. The most of you seem to think that it's somehow bad that Cheren was made to be the first Gym Leader while it's not at all. That is a clear sign that he has grown from inside too.

If you remember, Cheren was all the time emphasizing power and didn't really seem to understand that it really isn't the key to win. But now as we see him as the first Gym Leader of Unova we can in this case make an assumption that he has finally understand that in order to win you need more than pure power. You need to have a connection with your pokémons and all sorts of stuff like that. And I myself can clearly see him talking about this topic before the player challenges him.

Later on in the game it's more than possible that he can be rebattled and then he has his sort of the real team with him.

And what comes to the tournament, I am definitely happy to see Giovanni in there. All the other Gym Leaders are good but Giovanni is different. His dark, mysterious and he surely will put up a good fight. ^_^ But personally I don't see for example Red returning.
But did he have to return with a PATRAT? Surely enough from experience with strong Pokémon and his own team, he'd know that it is so weak. It won't give any challenge in the game, seriously. If he had to portray any sort of connection with Pokémon it didn't have to be that one, I mean c'mon. u_u Patrat does not portray power.

Cid

Years
Or maybe he's using the fact that Patrat isn't all impressive in battle as a way to exemplify that connection with your Pokémon is more important than its perceived power. As said by Cameo. Who knows, maybe the Patrat gets a really good TM or something.

And he didn't have much unused (by Lenora) Gen V Normal-types to choose from, I guess? Wait, this is B2/W2, Pokémon are not supposed to be restricted by Unova's former natives. And right, Audino, Minccino and Bouffalant are available too.

blue

gucci
Years
I would have expected for Cheren to be higher up than the first, maybe the 5th atleast but it's kind of a let down really.

Years

But did he have to return with a PATRAT?

Sure, if it knows Retaliate >_>;;

Also, is Patrat confirmed to be all he has on his team, or even what he has when you battle him for your Badge? Because if not, it's possible that he could be all "Oh, you're a new trainer, eh? Let's see what you've got!" and then afterwards, "Cool, OH by the way I'm a Gym Leader, come by later for srsbiz." Or something like that.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
By the way, if it's any consolation, Cheren does outright state that he's battling as a Gym Leader for the first time. :P

This does sound a bit interesting when you think about it. I think he probably developed enough in his mind in the last few years to be able to handle such a position, no? At least we won't have these two Johto leader situations again.

That said, speaking of recurring characters, it's probably to everyone's wishes, mostly, that more should be back. Now, come to think of it, I think we already have most of who and what we love back in, so I think I don't really have any further hopes, but I do hope that the entire thing is a bit more fleshed out.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I'm actually stoked that Cheren is the first Gym Leader. It makes me think that he's there to help new trainer jumpstart their journey.

I also think it's pretty hysterical Brycen wants to be a big time actor, considering how serious he was in the previous games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Suppoedly he already is recognized as a big time actor according to BW xD
Well I'm glad to see Brycen back, hopefully this means he'll retake up his post as Gym leader.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Is Alder confirmed to be in the games? I can't remember...

Your question was better asked here, so moved it for you, but yes he has been confirmed in the games. You meet him fairly early in the games according to the last issue of CoroCoro.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I also think it's pretty hysterical Brycen wants to be a big time actor, considering how serious he was in the previous games.

ikr! I find it kinda weird that they decided to give him a purpose when it's like, he was the least useful in Black and White, lol. Did he suddenly get a wake up call in the last few two years...? Or maybe at the end of the games he realises being an actor isn't his true calling. :x

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm actually stoked that Cheren is the first Gym Leader. It makes me think that he's there to help new trainer jumpstart their journey.

In the anime, Cilan says Brycen used to be a big actor and that Cilan was a fan of his. So its possibly not so random a thing. They already incorperated him being an Actor into one of the Canons.

ikr! I find it kinda weird that they decided to give him a purpose when it's like, he was the least useful in Black and White, lol. Did he suddenly get a wake up call in the last few two years...? Or maybe at the end of the games he realises being an actor isn't his true calling. :x

Honestly Brycen and Skyla did pretty much the same thing. After you beat them they tell you to go to the towers near their cities and that's pretty much all they do to assist the PC.

Skyla: OH YA I saw some sick Pokemon over by the tower. Lets go make sure its ok...*separated and meet at top* Its ok now. I made it better. Aren't I special? I have really good eyesight.

Brycen: I sense a disturbance in the force...*Shadowtriad talk and Dragon Spiral tower climb later* Hm....Bad guys stronger now...This is bad....

They pretty much don't do anything of heavy importance other than side commentary...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
In the anime, Cilan says Brycen used to be a big actor and that Cilan was a fan of his. So its possibly not so random a thing. They already incorperated him being an Actor into one of the Canons.

Honestly Brycen and Skyla did pretty much the same thing. After you beat them they tell you to go to the towers near their cities and that's pretty much all they do to assist the PC.

Skyla: OH YA I saw some sick Pokemon over by the tower. Lets go make sure its ok...*separated and meet at top* Its ok now. I made it better. Aren't I special? I have really good eyesight.

Brycen: I sense a disturbance in the force...*Shadowtriad talk and Dragon Spiral tower climb later* Hm....Bad guys stronger now...This is bad....

They pretty much don't do anything of heavy importance other than side commentary...

Oh really? That's amazing. xD

Yeah, neither one of them had much to add to the story, at all. Many Gym Leaders didn't, actually, but they at least had a little more than Brycen and Skyla. It's great to see Brycen doing something, but if they bring Skyla back, I really hope she doesn't play such a small part again.Maybe she'll fly the player in the planes as a form of transportation or something! Probably a slim chance of that happening, but at least she'd have a little more importance.

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Glad Alder and Cheren are coming back. I'd also like a Hilbert/Hilda battle similar to Red as well.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years

Actually someone a NPC mentioned that he was a Actor in BW so it was established within game canon itself so him returning as an actor was already foreshadowed quite well.

Well for me Brycen seemed more helpful as he held out the Plasma Grunts...Skyla couldn't even bother to help us out in getting to the top, she simply wasted out time xD.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
I hope N at least makes a brief return in BW. If not, I am really gonna miss him.
I loved his wild goal strive he made during the game. But by far, his inspirational speech at the end was the best.

blue

gucci
Years
I hope N at least makes a brief return in BW. If not, I am really gonna miss him.
I loved his wild goal strive he made during the game. But by far, his inspirational speech at the end was the best.

I'm pretty sure N will return, he's in the anime, the sages mention him in game and it would be a mystery to leave him out.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years

I'm pretty sure N will return, he's in the anime, the sages mention him in game and it would be a mystery to leave him out.

And then everybody would be shocked, while some would be angry, and a few would be sad.

Either way, I am okay with him returning or not, but I would like him to return nonetheless.

Back