Art Studio For visual art, photography, and music! Pokémon related or not, showcase or discuss anything related to the visual or musical arts.

Closed Thread

Old April 18th, 2012 (7:40 AM).

Hey guys, this is the first sprite I've made for years! What do you think?

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 18th, 2012 (2:21 PM).
    Evil Trainer

Nature: Naughty
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ark_Silvanos View Post
      dont get me wrong, it kinda does look like its looking left, but the thing is... when u look at it without any zoom or anything, it seems like the pupil is centered... maybe a pixel or so down and left wouldnt hurt it... but its not that much of a biggie...
      Ok thanks I will try doing that
      Old April 19th, 2012 (2:17 AM).
      RMXP Noob

I finished making the rest of the mugs, and I've taken into account some of the advice people have given about colour/anti-aliasing, tell me what you think.
        Old April 19th, 2012 (9:23 AM).
        • Silver Tier

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Shinypoliwrath View Post
        I finished making the rest of the mugs, and I've taken into account some of the advice people have given about colour/anti-aliasing, tell me what you think.
        I think you should experiment with anti-aliasing a little more. There's a certain level of 'blockiness' to some of your outlines.

Spoiler:

If you do a general comparison to one of the official sprites you see there is less black outlining than on your sprite.

Starting from the bottom, the outlines on the skin areas often use a variety of browns to help soften the look of the line. The skin is light enough that a medium brown is enough of a contrast. Compare that to your sprite in the chin area where you have a little bit of pillow shading going on (where you have shadows hugging the outlines. When you have the darker shade of skin next to the outline you force yourself to use a darker outline so that there is enough contrast to see the difference.

Moving up, the hair you made also uses a bit of pillow shading and, again, it forces you to use a darker outline. Now dark outlines are good and fine and I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, but if you want to have some anti-aliasing you limit how much you can use because that technique relies on being able to use an in-between shade of color.

On the top I think you might be using a bit too much anti-aliasing and creating more of a gradient that blurs the pink and white areas when you probably want them to be a little more distinct.

I think you did a nice job on the outlines and everything on the new girl's hair in the lower left side. I'd be careful of that pillow shading. I can see it in a few other places on other sprites and in general you get better results when you don't use it, especially when you're emulating pokemon style sprites.
        Old April 19th, 2012 (12:33 PM). Edited April 21st, 2012 by Shinypoliwrath.
        RMXP Noob

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
          I think you should experiment with anti-aliasing a little more. There's a certain level of 'blockiness' to some of your outlines.

Spoiler:

If you do a general comparison to one of the official sprites you see there is less black outlining than on your sprite.

Starting from the bottom, the outlines on the skin areas often use a variety of browns to help soften the look of the line. The skin is light enough that a medium brown is enough of a contrast. Compare that to your sprite in the chin area where you have a little bit of pillow shading going on (where you have shadows hugging the outlines. When you have the darker shade of skin next to the outline you force yourself to use a darker outline so that there is enough contrast to see the difference.

Moving up, the hair you made also uses a bit of pillow shading and, again, it forces you to use a darker outline. Now dark outlines are good and fine and I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, but if you want to have some anti-aliasing you limit how much you can use because that technique relies on being able to use an in-between shade of color.

On the top I think you might be using a bit too much anti-aliasing and creating more of a gradient that blurs the pink and white areas when you probably want them to be a little more distinct.

I think you did a nice job on the outlines and everything on the new girl's hair in the lower left side. I'd be careful of that pillow shading. I can see it in a few other places on other sprites and in general you get better results when you don't use it, especially when you're emulating pokemon style sprites.
          Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into account.
          When I made the first one (Homika) I went a bit overboard with the anti-aliasing, then got into the habit of not using it as much, probably where it needed to be used. I'll edit them sometime and add some anti-aliasing around the skin, etc.
          I'll reduce that pillow shading too.

Edit: Haven't reduced the pillow-shading/anti-aliasing yet, but have added Shizui's mug. (I think I lacked shading on Shizui's body).
          Old April 21st, 2012 (1:02 AM).

my first try at fakemon.his name is Psylir
            Attached Images
            File Type: png Psylir.png‎ (1.3 KB, 321 views) (Save to Dropbox)
            Old April 22nd, 2012 (8:59 AM).

Nature: Sassy
              Wow, this thread is great :D

Quote:
              Originally Posted by bensgraphicdesign View Post
              Hey guys, this is the first sprite I've made for years! What do you think?
              The anatomy is a little skewed, I think. Like the torso seems a little large for the bottom half. And maybe the...uh...skirt thing could be shaded a little more. But seriously love the concept. And the level of detail on the head and skirt is amazing @_@ so jealous.

I've done a minimum of pixel work before, but these are my ~very first~ fakemon sprites, so please concrit ^-^

Old April 27th, 2012 (3:42 AM).
              (。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by rufflestiltskin View Post
                I've done a minimum of pixel work before, but these are my ~very first~ fakemon sprites, so please concrit ^-^

You've done a mostly good job on these. However, I do find that you have an issue with lighting/shading.

On the left sprite, there should be less black outline on the head, right ear (our right), and tail, since in Pokemon sprites, the light source is the top left.

On the left sprite, there should be more shadow on the head, mane and body on the side opposite of the light source. In addition, while you have done a nice job with the mane, you are a bit inconsistent with the outline on the right-hand side (our right). I'd say it needs more black in the outline.

It's been a while since I've critted anything, so I've might have missed stuff. I do quite like the lion design though, it's pretty neat.

Anyway, I myself have been dabbling in pixel art once again, but nothing too substantial. Have a look.

Based off some fanart that I saw of Ivory. Not really finished, but so I guess this is a preview.

House. Styled after Earthbound and Mother 3
                Old April 30th, 2012 (2:00 PM). Edited April 30th, 2012 by newmexico.
                College Student

Nature: Brave
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by pikachuFan50 View Post
                  my first try at fakemon.his name is Psylir
                  I think there's a bit too much going on here design-wise. Good design, in my opinion, is just different enough to stand out yet still recognizable. Take the totodile line: they're all clearly crocodiles (or aligators or something similar) only blue and bipedal. They're very simple though. And I think the smaller your image is the simpler it needs to be. If you had a mural, you'd want it to be busy and full of details. Sprites are tiny though.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by rufflestiltskin View Post
                  Again, I'd tweak their designs. Assuming the one on the left evolves into the one on the right, I'm not sure why the cheeks are so dramatized in the first stage. Since it's such a major aspect of its design, I would expect it to carry through the line and develop. Otherwise it calls into question what it's there for. I like the one on the right much better--cute mane--but its face looks like it's in pain.

I can't offer much other than that, but I see that a previous poster had something to say about shading, and I think it's a valid point.

Good luck!

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by geoisevil View Post
                  Mind critiquing these? The animation was my first animation ever :D
                  I know this was posted a little while back, but I really like this little guy and so I wanted to comment. The one thing I found odd was the way that all other motions stops in the animation when it blinks, like the blinking takes all of its concentration. But it's super cute! I would train one for sure. Everything else looks solid from where I'm standing--I'd say it's looking in the correct direction, too.

#105 Ketzachil

Pokemon Oasis Version -- Coming (relatively) soon to computer screens near you!
                  Old April 30th, 2012 (8:51 PM). Edited May 2nd, 2012 by newmexico.
                  College Student

Forgive me for the double post... I mistakenly made a thread about this yesterday, but I asked the moderator to close it down. I'm posting it here where it's supposed to be. X)

I'm working on a ROM hack with fakemon, which means new sprites. I have exactly zero experience spriting (I'm a writer D: ) and I'm just learning as I go, so any advice from more experienced spriters would be extremely appreciated!

My first attempts at spriting:

Unteer

Yorolore

Ghost/water, based on the La Llorona myth. (Evolves with a water stone.)

I'm particularly concerned about Unteer's water trail...but I've been staring at both sprites for long enough that I can't tell if I like either of them anymore.

Thanks, guys!

#105 Ketzachil

Pokemon Oasis Version -- Coming (relatively) soon to computer screens near you!
                    Old May 8th, 2012 (3:22 PM).
                    Hey.

Nature: Calm
                      My first practice animation:

Litwick!
                      Old May 9th, 2012 (1:54 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post
                        My first practice animation:

Litwick!
                        pretty good try using more then one slide to give the pic more movement
                        (look in my sigy for examples i have done)

This is one of my favorite sprites i have created
                        I bring you the Balrog:

Needed improvements?

Hacks I support:
                        Old May 13th, 2012 (5:15 PM).
                        Need a spriter for fakemon

Nature: Hardy
                          I hope that this works,... i'm new to spriting, and if anyone wants a challenge thats really good at it, please message me.Worm.png

Wormite.png
                          Old May 14th, 2012 (12:24 PM).
                          Hey.

Overall, your fakes are nice... but sprites size are 64x64, 80x80, and 96x96. I might be wrong though. The sprites has no highlight and the outline is not clean. The first one is better than the second one. And it seems like you saved them as a JPG instead of a PNG, which is a bad thing since JPG ruins your sprite. If you didn't save them as a JPG then maybe you used the Brush Tool instead of the Pencil Tool. Sorry for the wall of text by the way.
                            Old May 14th, 2012 (1:08 PM).
                            Instinct

Nature: Relaxed
                              Wheee let's take a look at my horrible scratch spriting attempt.

Here's my attempt at spriting my Fakémon, Flashire. It's not recent(I made it back in January I think).

My trainers are better than this. XP

Old May 15th, 2012 (3:07 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post
                                Overall, your fakes are nice... but sprites size are 64x64, 80x80, and 96x96. I might be wrong though. The sprites has no highlight and the outline is not clean. The first one is better than the second one. And it seems like you saved them as a JPG instead of a PNG, which is a bad thing since JPG ruins your sprite. If you didn't save them as a JPG then maybe you used the Brush Tool instead of the Pencil Tool. Sorry for the wall of text by the way.
                                My computer said i saved them as PNG... owell, and thx, no worries bout the wall lol. i have this one that i think i did waay better.
                                Attached Images
                                File Type: png porcupis.png‎ (1.7 KB, 208 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                Old May 15th, 2012 (5:22 PM).
                                highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by ClayFakemon View Post
                                  My computer said i saved them as PNG... owell, and thx, no worries bout the wall lol. i have this one that i think i did waay better.
                                  You should try sketching your ideas out before spriting them. It's hard to tell what it is. (a cape?)

pair: Sheep
                                  Old May 15th, 2012 (8:31 PM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
                                    You should try sketching your ideas out before spriting them. It's hard to tell what it is. (a cape?)
                                    It's supposed to be like a sea anenome thing, it just sticks to whatever is swimming by it.
                                    Old May 16th, 2012 (9:30 PM).

Hello! I was looking for critiques on these sprites. I'm most concerned about the shading, but any other critiques would be welcome!
                                      Attached Images
                                      File Type: png sedimite.PNG‎ (1.0 KB, 195 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      File Type: png peatle.PNG‎ (1.6 KB, 198 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      File Type: png psychic squid.PNG‎ (2.0 KB, 196 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      Old May 17th, 2012 (1:26 PM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Akenemo View Post
                                        Hello! I was looking for critiques on these sprites. I'm most concerned about the shading, but any other critiques would be welcome!
                                        Nice, very nice, maybe give the squid a little yellow? idk, jus a thought but i do like them.. if you are really good at spriting i'd love it if you PM'd me
                                        Old May 17th, 2012 (9:04 PM).
                                        Kageroza's Waifu
                                        • Gold Tier

My most recent sprites from my newest game that was in development (and put on hold for the moment).

I love teh style of that game though v.v
                                        "Yor barmy...."
                                        "o.o What's that?"

"Tha' means yor nu's, yor froo' loops, yor BANANAS!"

R.I.P. KAGEROZA. </3 T_T
                                        I am Shi-Orihime Inaba on FailFacebook.

Old May 18th, 2012 (12:23 AM).
                                        highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Kurui View Post
                                          My most recent sprites from my newest game that was in development (and put on hold for the moment).

I love teh style of that game though v.v
                                          Character design looks a lot like what Paul Robertson would sprite. Nice job and cool style.

pair: Sheep
                                          Old May 19th, 2012 (1:58 AM).
                                          Kageroza's Waifu
                                          • Gold Tier

I had to google who that was but I found some and I agree it's similar XD. Oh well there goes my trying to be original.
                                          "Yor barmy...."
                                          "o.o What's that?"

"Tha' means yor nu's, yor froo' loops, yor BANANAS!"

R.I.P. KAGEROZA. </3 T_T
                                          I am Shi-Orihime Inaba on FailFacebook.

Old May 28th, 2012 (12:07 AM).
                                          Ninja Paladin Ninja Paladin is offline
                                          • Crystal Tier

It's an extensive cross gen fusion, with around 65%~ being scratch work to blend the styles and make the attire. He's also a revamp of an older design...

EDIT: Oh right and also he has his custom 'capsule' for all his pokeballs as well.

FC: 2122-7342-8697 IGN: Telrean
                                          Old May 28th, 2012 (12:43 PM).
                                          Hey.

Any opinions on my first rock (and only) tiles?

Sponsored Links