• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Astra: v2.0 (Recruiting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Name: ark_silvanos... ark is fine,
Skill(s): spriting, and umm... dunno... haven't really tried anything else
Main role: Tester i guess, if thats what i have to be to give some advice :P
Past experience: started spriting some 2-3 years back... didnt really improve much cuz i kept getting bored. as a tester, not much... just decided to be one right now :P.
Contact Information: dont remember my email and never use msn, so i cant reall fill this part out...
Time Zone: i have no idea... nd i never bothered checking... but i'm in india... and its like 7:50 ish here (pm) as of this post...
Other: i like how u work as a team, u take every1's input and ur also giving ppl a chance to really get some experience with whatever they feel they can do...like i said b4 i just wanted to join now was a tester so i could give u guys my opinion... but i dont mind helping out here and there as u need it (with spriting, obviously) and i've seen ur sprite shop and ur work is pretty good... y not try to tile urself? (i'll help out if ur stuck completely, but i haven't done tiles much either)

k from now on, i'm assuming i've been accepted :P

@pokehacker1 u should read what droomph said, cuz he makes some really valid points, try to work on what he says while u work on the new forest.

@nobo71, what the others say is true, why dont u make each layer of mountain a different shape and size, that way u add a little variation. the layer with the town can have all the buildings closer together, and a small elevated area where the gym[(?) if its a gym town] or like a mayor's house could be... that would give it more of a snug small town on top of a small mountain feel..

@mineox100 imo, the pond should be a little smaller, also is it alright for a route to have a direct path to the next town? i mean, even if its a really small route, there should be some grass that the player HAS to walk through... i dunno if every1 feels like that, but i always felt thats where the fun was... random encounters for some xp as u go on to the next town without having to grind for xp along the route...

Last edited:

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Welcome to the team! Thanks for the info and constructive criticism. I just thought that I should point out with route 1, that there isn't any grass because we were intending to have like 4 or 5 trainers on that one route.
Oh and I don't tile because its not really my srongsuit and I find it tedious. XD But I will try if I have to I guess :/

Years
well... i'm in the middle of my exams, but if u need anything sprited, or u have a list of tiles u want me to do, send me a list, i'll try to work on em when i'm bored :P... i'll do more when i get free-er :P
and trainers... ah... makes sense :P... kinda like a gauntlet run in the beginning....

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Name: Imrathon
Skill(s): Scripting , Text Editing , Graphics
Main role:Any you descide
Past experience: Lone Hacks (quite a few) and Graphics for my self
Contact Information: [email protected]
Time Zone: GMT
Other: Can Work Most hours from 3 to 10pm

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2014
I got a question. The new people got their name on the front page while mine isn't.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
@Cosmotone8
Umm...have you created the storyline yet? :) (I could help in creating one.)
Because if we scipters know about it we probably come with ideas and such...

Oh and I have a suggestion how about we make a map of a city inside a cave..(something like that) :) :) :) :P

Cyru

-
Years
@tajaros Oh my I was just thinking that:L that's pretty weird.. but yeah i love the idea of a cave in a city but it's not up to me... and yeah we do map out where to give certain storyline events and such so creating a storyline would make it much clearer

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
@cyru hey did outkin sent you a task about creating a gym? (If yes are you finished?)

So were the one that's going to make the storyline? (Or they will?) :)

Years
aight... so i just joined so i'm a little in the dark, but from what i've read so far, the basic outline of the story has been figured out (its a little similar to RSE), and v've got a world map up, but it doesn't seem to have been planned fully (or if it has, it wasn't discussed on this thread so can some1 please fill me in? like starting town, where player goes next, which areas are blocked till certain HMs are got, where player gets the HMs, etc. Also, it seems u guys have all the routes and towns planned, cuz ur mapping already, so can some1 tell me what areas are where? like mountainous areas, forests, deserts, etc.)

Neway, theres a couple more things i thought i could ask, to keep up the flow and get the hack moving:

1. Intro: Who's the professor who asks u name and gender and stuff? and how do u get your pokemon? like is there a small story involved? (like saving birch, or having an errand to do for elm)

2. Fakemon: I dont think V've got a dex decided yet, and that makes complete sense since we're just starting out... but do v have concepts, or are the spriters making them up as they go? I dont believe we have a concept artist or some1 who handles all the stats and moves of the pokemon on the team, do v? so even if v the spriters are going to use custom ideas, i think we should settle on a spriting style (Gen 1, 2, and most of 3 were more animalistic, gen 4 nd 5 (blah) were funky, and looked more like items (ice cream cone, candle, that type of thing).

3. Tiles: having a tile artist MAY be required, but i dont see how it completely brings the mappers to a standstill. Are v revamping the game into custom tiles? or are we just adding what we need? Also, instead of every1 just saying we need a tiler, we need a tiler, what tiles do v exactly need? no1 specifies that. Mappers, if you have a design for a city, and dont have whats required to complete it, say what you need. (ex. lets take the cave town that was being discussed, mapper could say:

"hey guys was going through the layout for the town, but i was thinking, as the town is in a cave, instead of having rocks and flowers, we could get some stalactites to spruce it up a bit? also having the same buildings we use above ground looks a little tacky, how about some buildings that look like they were hewn from rock? maybe more modular houses, with a brownish palette and none of the fancy colors or designs?

List of Tiles needed:
Set of various sized stalactites(2-3 different should be fine)
New rock-like houses"

This way, ppl can actually try their hand at tiling if they want to, and if nothing works out, atleast v'll have a nicely planned list of what we need. I mean, i dont mind trying to tile, but i have no clue what u guys need.

4. Legendaries: I dunno if u've already talked about this, but are the main legendaries Solarock and Lunatone? and what are the other legendaries the game will incorporate? do we have any ideas going on? since its day and night... maybe something incorporating dusk and dawn? like pokemon who try to help correct the balance or something?

anyways... just my thoughts :P... what do you guys think?

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
@Ark_Silvanos

You have a few good ideas unfortunatly i don't know about the story line yet but if i find out i'll tell you.
Also i would just like to add that onces the storyline is complete if i could be told so i can start scripting.

Cyru

-
Years
@tajaros No, i wasn't assigned a gym -__- Probably since i'm not a mapper, but I suppose i'm here if there's an urgent need.. and i think there should be a balance between when people map things and script things because then once the whole world's maps are done there's going to be an overwhelming amount of scripts to do for the scripters.

So maybe i was thinking we could each be assigned a town and told what scripts to be put in it like Rival battles, givepokemon scripts, gym leader and battle scripts, etc.
Anything like that? =)

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
i've just read the first post again it seems that there is a very basic storyline of 2 pokemon that keep the balance kinda like good and evil. some people steal the pokemon legendaries , world ends up in choas for a few hours until you rescue the pokemon restoring the balance.

@Cyru
I like your idea of everyone getting assigned to a town and you work from their. so maybe we should start on town names?

Last edited:

Cyru

-
Years
I'm not sure, i think we'll have to wait for either outkin or cosmo to accept the idea or actually assign us towns, so sit tight ^_^

Years
@imrathon... no i meant like a detailed story line :P... like why those pokemon are being targeted (like why does a team want a pokemon that can control day and night?) what drives you to save the pokemon (like in RSE its because you were the one that gets the blue/red orb from the old man, you were the one who met and impressed steven along the way, and you were the one who helped the opposite team whenever you could) also theres no story as such about the world map... like i said b4, ideally, we should plan out the town sequence b4 we get into doing everything else.

@cyru, that would work, but there are only 2(3) scripters XD so ur gonna have lots of work either way :P but yeah... first we figure out a basic gist of the hero's travel, then we assign towns for mapping, and split the towns between u and tajaros and imrathon (srry i didnt realize u were a scripter, i somehow read it as spriter o.O :P) for the scripting, and get the ball rolling. (if we assign randomly, we may not get a working beta out for a while cuz the starting towns may not be done first...)

or another idea is for the scripters (or any1, really) to sketch map the town... just 2 get a basic placement of the town, and script from there, and have the mappers do their own thing in a different town and then switch. So the scripters can then do the scripting in the mapped towns, and the mappers can then properly map out the quickly done maps, and minor changes can be done after that... that way every1 is doing something?

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
well all we can do is sit and wait for now. once the ball is rolling we can all work.

Cyru

-
Years
Well I suppose if we're talking about the story maybe you could casually visiting the professor or something and then you could get caught in some sort of takeover by the evil team and you could be forced to choose a pokémon to defeat them, and you could learn their motives and stuff and really include them in the story, and after, the proffessor sees you've bonded with the pokémon, gives it to you and suggest you challenge the pokémon league/pursue the evil team and stop them? Also, maybe you could use the trainers you were going to have on Route 1 as the evil team grunts if you're thinking of a gauntlet type run?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back