Games Showcase This forum is for non-ROM hacked games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old May 17th, 2012 (5:05 PM). Edited December 23rd, 2012 by Umbra.
Umbra's Avatar
Umbra Umbra is offline
  • Platinum Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nearby my feet.
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Posts: 1,745

CASTLE FORGE

Intro:
Castle Forge is a voxel based game, after 7 months I decided to revive this using much faster algorithms and a better scripting front.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is mostly sandbox styled (eg. Destroy and build using block voxels) but unlike minecraft, I shall add different voxel types (spheres, wedges, steps, ect.) to make the terrain look a little more realistic (yes, I do realize that minecraft has steps in it.)

Features:

Well currently a VERY large map and a large fps (around usually over 100 fps) (the map size I use currently is 256x256x256)
Added a "chunking" system (chunking means breaking the map into smaller peices (32x32x32 in my case and half that for minecraft (excluding the Y factor which is 256) )) this makes the game rendering much more easier to render meaning more speed!

Bugs:
None

Screenshots/Videos:

Videos:

Spoiler:

This small video is worth more than a thousand images (but is slightly outdated (eg. taken this morning and uploaded earlier) ) but I have implemented a day/night system since then!

NOTE: Since I had hyper cam running (which really slows my computer down for some reason) the fps dropped down more than it should

Images:

Spoiler:

The next four are some images of day and night:



Some more screens (except with water):


Credits:
Hansiec -- All the scripting done (minus that of what visual c++ 2010 express includes and what ogre includes)
NoisePP -- Perlin Methods

Help Needed:
None for now

Release:
Current release: Version 1.0 Beta (Old beta)
Note: This is old, but is left out for anyone who is interested in what it did look like.
Download here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/198969-castle-forge

Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old May 19th, 2012 (5:26 AM).
Ho-oh 112's Avatar
Ho-oh 112 Ho-oh 112 is offline
Advance Scripter
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 21
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Hasty
    Posts: 311

    Nice game you got here but a few questions:

    1. Add the http://www. and then the link to your downlod

    2. I don't see any transport system in the features (minecarts as an example...)

    3. Will you be adding stuff such as wedges/spheres/ect instead of only blocks?

    __________________

    Scripting Level: Advance

    RMXP Poke-Essentials MySQL Trading System Link:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7077162#post7077162

    RMXP Poke-Essentials Mystery Gift Link:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270687

    RMXP Poke-Essentials Award System Link:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7111566

    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old May 19th, 2012 (8:47 AM).
    Umbra's Avatar
    Umbra Umbra is offline
    • Platinum Tier
     
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: Nearby my feet.
    Age: 20
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 1,745

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ho-oh 112 View Post
    Nice game you got here but a few questions:

    1. Add the http://www. and then the link to your downlod

    2. I don't see any transport system in the features (minecarts as an example...)

    3. Will you be adding stuff such as wedges/spheres/ect instead of only blocks?

    1. done

    2. Yes they will be added

    3. Maybe (the wedges are a yes because I'll use them for steps.)

    Reply With Quote
      #4    
    Old May 23rd, 2012 (7:52 AM). Edited May 23rd, 2012 by Dying Light.
    Dying Light's Avatar
    Dying Light Dying Light is offline
    Pegasus Knight
       
      Join Date: Jun 2011
      Location: Exiled
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hardy
      Posts: 368

      Why not just play Minecraft Classic when it's already there? It's even free to play on the official website. Unless you're adding your own personal touches or something of the like, it makes no sense as to why you're creating this in the first place.

      Ally NPCs (Castle Defenders?) and sidequests (Millénare?) are already available in mod form. Plus, they're not that hard to install. Besides, Notch said that an Adventure Mode (quests) will be added sometime in the near future. If you check out the Minecraft Wiki, Adventure Mode is in the "planned" section of features..

      What I'm getting at is, why make a Minecraft clone for the same exact platform on which Minecraft was designated, when there is already a free version hosted by the official Minecraft team?

      Minecraft Official Website

      __________________

      None

      “Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”

      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old May 23rd, 2012 (9:40 AM).
      Umbra's Avatar
      Umbra Umbra is offline
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2009
      Location: Nearby my feet.
      Age: 20
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Calm
      Posts: 1,745

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
      Why not just play Minecraft Classic when it's already there? It's even free to play on the official website. Unless you're adding your own personal touches or something of the like, it makes no sense as to why you're creating this in the first place.

      Ally NPCs (Castle Defenders?) and sidequests (Millénare?) are already available in mod form. Plus, they're not that hard to install. Besides, Notch said that an Adventure Mode (quests) will be added sometime in the near future. If you check out the Minecraft Wiki, Adventure Mode is in the "planned" section of features..

      What I'm getting at is, why make a Minecraft clone for the same exact platform on which Minecraft was designated, when there is already a free version hosted by the official Minecraft team?

      Minecraft Official Website

      Good point but here is why:

      I'm adding:
      Vehicles
      Better objects (Spheres/Wedges/ect.)
      Custom ally settings
      Custom Village settings
      Custom Timeline (Medieval,modern,future)

      And I am expanding my scripting knowledge with this.

      Reply With Quote
        #6    
      Old May 23rd, 2012 (10:06 AM).
      Dying Light's Avatar
      Dying Light Dying Light is offline
      Pegasus Knight
         
        Join Date: Jun 2011
        Location: Exiled
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Hardy
        Posts: 368

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by hansiec View Post

        Good point but here is why:

        I'm adding:
        Vehicles
        Better objects (Spheres/Wedges/ect.)
        Custom ally settings
        Custom Village settings
        Custom Timeline (Medieval,modern,future)

        And I am expanding my scripting knowledge with this.

        That makes sense, and I see that you're using this as a standing ground for your programming knowledge. In a way, this is basically your way to broaden your horizons. That is understandable. However, your following words:

        Vehicles
        Better objects (Spheres/Wedges/ect.)
        Custom ally settings
        Custom Village settings

        are already implemented into mod form. Although, I do like your idea of custom timelines, as I (at least to the furthest extent of my knowing) have yet to see features like that. It would most likely be a popular function, and I myself would enjoy it.

        Moreover, I like your progress. I just thought you were making an exact replica of Minecraft Classic.

        __________________

        None

        “Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”

        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old May 23rd, 2012 (7:12 PM).
        Umbra's Avatar
        Umbra Umbra is offline
        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Aug 2009
        Location: Nearby my feet.
        Age: 20
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 1,745

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post

        That makes sense, and I see that you're using this as a standing ground for your programming knowledge. In a way, this is basically your way to broaden your horizons. That is understandable. However, your following words:

        Vehicles
        Better objects (Spheres/Wedges/ect.)
        Custom ally settings
        Custom Village settings

        are already implemented into mod form. Although, I do like your idea of custom timelines, as I (at least to the furthest extent of my knowing) have yet to see features like that. It would most likely be a popular function, and I myself would enjoy it.

        Moreover, I like your progress. I just thought you were making an exact replica of Minecraft Classic.

        No I was trying to make a sandbox style game it just ended up as looking like minecraft classic. But if you got any ideas I'll add em in.

        Reply With Quote
          #8    
        Old May 23rd, 2012 (7:38 PM).
        Logiedan's Avatar
        Logiedan Logiedan is offline
        highly-functioning sociopath
           
          Join Date: Mar 2009
          Location: yoshi's story
          Age: 3
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 2,936

          That's like saying "Hey Game-Freak, why make another Pokemon game with these features if there is a rom-hack/fan-game with them?"

          It's a great way to expand your coding language and to start off, and although I don't know much about game development and coding myself, it looks great. I'm even surprised you managed to replicate the game concept and design of Minecraft with GameMaker.

          __________________



          pair: Sheep

          Reply With Quote
            #9    
          Old May 23rd, 2012 (8:08 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2012 by Dying Light.
          Dying Light's Avatar
          Dying Light Dying Light is offline
          Pegasus Knight
             
            Join Date: Jun 2011
            Location: Exiled
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Hardy
            Posts: 368

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
            That's like saying "Hey Game-Freak, why make another Pokemon game with these features if there is a rom-hack/fan-game with them?"

            It's a great way to expand your coding language and to start off, and although I don't know much about game development and coding myself, it looks great. I'm even surprised you managed to replicate the game concept and design of Minecraft with GameMaker.

            Well, how do you even know if Game Freak knows that some of these amazing (I mean amazing because I think our community has far surpassed and succeeded the official games) games/ROM hacks even exist? Sure, a member of the team could have viewed this site, or for all I know anyone of the PC members could be a team member of Game Freak. Now, yes, it is a great way to start off programming/coding/scripting/etc. But, at first glance, this looked like a project aiming to be an exact replica. But, as the creator stated, he originally intended this to be a sandbox style game. I applaud the creator for that. But, Game Freak hasn't even come close to the features our community has implemented. If Game Freak were to think about not creating another Pokémon game because a hack or development already had those features, they wouldn't care because it doesn't bring in money. Sure, it's a slap on the face and suggest that they make something better. Though they couldn't know if these fangames exist, they still make Pokémon games because they are for lucrative purpose. Since the fangames don't bring in money, they will continue making their own. Unlike Game Freak, the Minecraft team already has an official modding API. In this sense, they support modding, whereas Game Freak frowns upon it.

            With that aside, it is amazing that the creator was able to recreate block sandbox physics into GameMaker. It is easily the best I've seen yet with the exception of third-person free-roam games on the program's website.

            Lastly, for suggestions on features, I would like to see the following:
            -Fully customizable character (define head/torso/pants/shoes/etc.)
            -More randomly generated structures (like castles/shops/underground villages)
            -Minigames (Not sure what exactly, but maybe something like defending a castle from a zombie invasion)

            __________________

            None

            “Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”

            Reply With Quote
              #10    
            Old May 24th, 2012 (4:13 AM).
            Umbra's Avatar
            Umbra Umbra is offline
            • Platinum Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2009
            Location: Nearby my feet.
            Age: 20
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 1,745

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
            That's like saying "Hey Game-Freak, why make another Pokemon game with these features if there is a rom-hack/fan-game with them?"

            It's a great way to expand your coding language and to start off, and although I don't know much about game development and coding myself, it looks great. I'm even surprised you managed to replicate the game concept and design of Minecraft with GameMaker.

            actually the basic system (creating/destroying blocks) was somone named Laurens not me I added onto this ALOT which makes mine better than 90% of those you see with game maker.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post

            Lastly, for suggestions on features, I would like to see the following:
            -Fully customizable character (define head/torso/pants/shoes/etc.)
            -More randomly generated structures (like castles/shops/underground villages)
            -Minigames (Not sure what exactly, but maybe something like defending a castle from a zombie invasion)

            1. Ok (as soon as I get the player's graphics setup)
            2. I was intending this (but the underground ones is unike to me)
            3. Alright if I get ideas for these then I shall do this.

            Oh yes the original engine is here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/162646

            Reply With Quote
              #11    
            Old May 24th, 2012 (8:33 AM).
            Dying Light's Avatar
            Dying Light Dying Light is offline
            Pegasus Knight
               
              Join Date: Jun 2011
              Location: Exiled
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Hardy
              Posts: 368

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by hansiec View Post

              actually the basic system (creating/destroying blocks) was somone named Laurens not me I added onto this ALOT which makes mine better than 90% of those you see with game maker.

              1. Ok (as soon as I get the player's graphics setup)
              2. I was intending this (but the underground ones is unike to me)
              3. Alright if I get ideas for these then I shall do this.

              Oh yes the original engine is here: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/162646

              Wow, you have done a considerable amount of changes. Just by looking at the screenshots is enough to see that you have changed a lot of it.

              I thought this project interesting, as I use GameMaker. Back when Mark Overmars was the owner of this program, it was the only program I would ever use. I still use it today, but as technology evolved, so did game making utilities. Then, I started using RPG Maker, the Quake engine, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.

              Nice progress from the base engine you started out with!

              __________________

              None

              “Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”

              Reply With Quote
                #12    
              Old May 24th, 2012 (3:33 PM).
              Umbra's Avatar
              Umbra Umbra is offline
              • Platinum Tier
               
              Join Date: Aug 2009
              Location: Nearby my feet.
              Age: 20
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Calm
              Posts: 1,745

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post

              Wow, you have done a considerable amount of changes. Just by looking at the screenshots is enough to see that you have changed a lot of it.

              I thought this project interesting, as I use GameMaker. Back when Mark Overmars was the owner of this program, it was the only program I would ever use. I still use it today, but as technology evolved, so did game making utilities. Then, I started using RPG Maker, the Quake engine, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.

              Nice progress from the base engine you started out with!

              Yeah I improved dungeon structures even more, I use 5 "layers" to create them I'm also considering making floating platforms in the sky.

              Reply With Quote
                #13    
              Old May 24th, 2012 (3:38 PM).
              Lord Varion's Avatar
              Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
              Guess who's back?
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2009
                Age: 23
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 2,644

                Seems like a good idea.
                Perfect way to try out your own coding, and the screens look good (I'll try it when i have times).

                __________________

                gone.

                Reply With Quote
                  #14    
                Old May 24th, 2012 (3:41 PM).
                Umbra's Avatar
                Umbra Umbra is offline
                • Platinum Tier
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2009
                Location: Nearby my feet.
                Age: 20
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 1,745

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
                Seems like a good idea.
                Perfect way to try out your own coding, and the screens look good (I'll try it when i have times).

                next release will have lots more than just this. I'm only waiting for new graphics for this and the next release will come out.

                Reply With Quote
                  #15    
                Old May 25th, 2012 (6:45 PM). Edited May 27th, 2012 by Umbra.
                Umbra's Avatar
                Umbra Umbra is offline
                • Platinum Tier
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2009
                Location: Nearby my feet.
                Age: 20
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 1,745

                Alright next release is out!

                http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/198969-castle-forge

                glitches:
                zombies don't kill
                the better block's are inverted (diamond blocks gives diamond ore and iron blocks give iron ore...)

                Reply With Quote
                  #16    
                Old December 16th, 2012 (3:37 PM).
                Umbra's Avatar
                Umbra Umbra is offline
                • Platinum Tier
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2009
                Location: Nearby my feet.
                Age: 20
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 1,745

                Bump ~

                I decided to get back to this, and well, I finally got something going with ogre and c++

                to show exactly what I've done:

                The terrain size is 256x256x256 (much larger than before)

                Anyways, if a mod could change the title from [Game Maker] to [C++ and Ogre 3D] it'd be nice.

                (I didn't see any rules about me not being able to bump my own thread, forgive me if I am wrong.)

                Reply With Quote
                  #17    
                Old December 16th, 2012 (3:57 PM).
                Lord Varion's Avatar
                Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                Guess who's back?
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2009
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Naughty
                  Posts: 2,644

                  You're always allowed to bump your own thread, providing there is enough updated status in it, to be worth while and I'm totally sure that changing the engine you're using and upping the size a lot is a good enough update, no sarcasm intended, or there.

                  Looking at the video, it would be nice if that big crater in the middle of the area had water, or lava, or some kind of filler.

                  Finally, will you be upping the map size any more?
                  I know it's a silly thing to ask, but look at minecraft and terraria, there maps just keep on going, and going. I'm sure it's infinite, but it takes up alot of space, if it gets to big.

                  Either way, it all looks good!

                  __________________

                  gone.

                  Reply With Quote
                    #18    
                  Old December 16th, 2012 (4:14 PM).
                  Umbra's Avatar
                  Umbra Umbra is offline
                  • Platinum Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2009
                  Location: Nearby my feet.
                  Age: 20
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 1,745

                  Since I am low on textures at the moment, the white is really sand (or stone if underground) and the flat crater you see is actually water.

                  Anyways, I do plan on making it go on forever. (including height wise if enough people want)

                  Thanks for the positive comment : D

                  Reply With Quote
                    #19    
                  Old December 16th, 2012 (4:21 PM).
                  Lord Varion's Avatar
                  Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                  Guess who's back?
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2009
                    Age: 23
                    Gender: Other
                    Nature: Naughty
                    Posts: 2,644

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
                    Since I am low on textures at the moment, the white is really sand (or stone if underground) and the flat crater you see is actually water.

                    Anyways, I do plan on making it go on forever. (including height wise if enough people want)

                    Thanks for the positive comment : D

                    Forever height wise doesn't seem as good.
                    In my opinion, it would be better to add different styled areas further down.

                    So, Stone area 1/3, then Some obsidian or something and bedrock 2/3, and maybe a hellish kind of world 3/3.
                    But the areas could be very big, giving more of a challenge.

                    __________________

                    gone.

                    Reply With Quote
                      #20    
                    Old December 16th, 2012 (4:28 PM).
                    Umbra's Avatar
                    Umbra Umbra is offline
                    • Platinum Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2009
                    Location: Nearby my feet.
                    Age: 20
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 1,745

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
                    Forever height wise doesn't seem as good.
                    In my opinion, it would be better to add different styled areas further down.

                    So, Stone area 1/3, then Some obsidian or something and bedrock 2/3, and maybe a hellish kind of world 3/3.
                    But the areas could be very big, giving more of a challenge.

                    Alright so basically we have:

                    Normal world (Dig a bit)

                    Bunch of Obsidian and bedrock (or something mineable of course)

                    Then something representing minecraft's Nether.

                    Alright This seems like a good idea. (Although I may add a Sky dimension which seems to be popular nowadays)

                    Let's say:
                    Height wise:
                    256 - 180 = Sky
                    Gap
                    128 - 64 = normal things like mountains
                    63 - 0 = sea and caverns

                    -1 - -15 = obsidian and bedrock

                    -16 - - 132 = Nether

                    Reply With Quote
                      #21    
                    Old December 16th, 2012 (4:47 PM).
                    Lord Varion's Avatar
                    Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                    Guess who's back?
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2009
                      Age: 23
                      Gender: Other
                      Nature: Naughty
                      Posts: 2,644

                      If it's a world on clouds, then that seems a poor idea...
                      But if it's sky islands because that makes more sense than clouds... I'm all for it!

                      Either way, it sound good, and can't wait to play!

                      __________________

                      gone.

                      Reply With Quote
                        #22    
                      Old December 16th, 2012 (6:07 PM).
                      Umbra's Avatar
                      Umbra Umbra is offline
                      • Platinum Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2009
                      Location: Nearby my feet.
                      Age: 20
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 1,745

                      Pretty much land chunks floating.

                      Anyways a quick update:

                      I did some UV mapping a bit and was able to register multiple blocks per image and block faces can have different textures (by faces I mean sides like front and back)

                      Reply With Quote
                        #23    
                      Old December 18th, 2012 (3:03 PM).
                      Umbra's Avatar
                      Umbra Umbra is offline
                      • Platinum Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2009
                      Location: Nearby my feet.
                      Age: 20
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 1,745

                      Updates!

                      On going chunk generator:

                      As you can see though, it still needs some work... (Like the low fps and slightly slow generations)

                      Reply With Quote
                        #24    
                      Old December 18th, 2012 (3:25 PM).
                      Lord Varion's Avatar
                      Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                      Guess who's back?
                         
                        Join Date: Feb 2009
                        Age: 23
                        Gender: Other
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 2,644

                        It's looking good, like you said the low fps and Slow Gen needs work.

                        Out of curiosity, you've got that flat surface, then you've got the other video with a environmental looking surface, is there gonna be options to choose between the two?

                        __________________

                        gone.

                        Reply With Quote
                          #25    
                        Old December 18th, 2012 (3:41 PM). Edited December 18th, 2012 by Umbra.
                        Umbra's Avatar
                        Umbra Umbra is offline
                        • Platinum Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2009
                        Location: Nearby my feet.
                        Age: 20
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Calm
                        Posts: 1,745

                        Yep, you can have almost full customization of how the map will be rendered, and how you graphics are displayed. (In this case I disabled the sky and chose a flatland generator) You can also customize the generation stuff (How far away can chunks be rendered, how many chunks can be generated/degenerated a frame, ect.) Something which I don't think minecraft allows : D Anyways, I might see if I can thread the map generation to speed up the FPS a bit more, in the meantime this is a good start. (Considering I spent less than a day on this)

                        In the meantime if anyone get's an idea of an option (by option I mean things like rendering options, chunk options, game types, ect.) I may add it (unless it's either out of reach for now or is ridiculous)

                        Next stop, actually getting some physics done....

                        EDIT: Fixed very FATAL mistake which lagged up a lot of things: I increased the block size up a bit which not only makes the world seem bigger, it actually fixed some lag problems! (By lag I mean I need to load a lot less blocks and chunks)

                        Sooo with that said, I can officially announce that I have a successful endless terrain system! (With 100+FPS when loading chunks)

                        Alright so I am thinking about some things, and I would like to know which people prefer:

                        A custom (capped) amount of Chunk rendering (Meaning you choose exactly how many chunks can be rendered and maintained in each direction, under a fixed value: 100 (which would be insane to render that many anyways))

                        or what minecraft does (Large Range, Normal Range, Small, and Tiny Ranges)

                        I believe customization makes a game better to the users, so I am up for the first

                        Reply With Quote
                        Reply
                        Quick Reply

                        Sponsored Links
                        Thread Tools

                        Posting Rules
                        You may not post new threads
                        You may not post replies
                        You may not post attachments
                        You may not edit your posts

                        BB code is On
                        Smilies are On
                        [IMG] code is On
                        HTML code is Off

                        Forum Jump


                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:41 AM.