• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Does anyone know if there is a way to stop evolution stones from disappearing on use? I tried making them key items but when I do that they don't appear in YAPE for evolution options.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, I was wondering something. How do you change the start map of Pokemon Fire Red?
Is there a tool that can do that? Thanks.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Did you copy-overwrite or copy-insert? That, to me, looks like you've misaligned something which the game is trying to read.

First, when you're working with ASM, always make backups. Obsessively make backups.

What Jambo is saying is that, what has likely happened is that you "added" to the ROM. When pasting a line of code into a ROM, always make sure you do what is known as a "Paste Write", and not a "Paste Insert". The difference is that Paste Write overwrites what's there (and, if you are pasting in, it should be free space, so it doesn't matter if it is overwritten). Paste Insert, on the other hand, keeps what is there, but shifts it down, creating alignment issues (and, I believe emulators and GBAs can't read ROMs that are lengthened in this way).

I would say, check how long your assembled code is, and go in and delete that many bytes of free space after your code. That should fix it. And I do really mean "delete" - your hex editor will likely alert you that you're changing the size of the ROM, but your Paste Write already made the ROM larger, so you're just putting it back to its regular size.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
First, when you're working with ASM, always make backups. Obsessively make backups.

What Jambo is saying is that, what has likely happened is that you "added" to the ROM. When pasting a line of code into a ROM, always make sure you do what is known as a "Paste Write", and not a "Paste Insert". The difference is that Paste Write overwrites what's there (and, if you are pasting in, it should be free space, so it doesn't matter if it is overwritten). Paste Insert, on the other hand, keeps what is there, but shifts it down, creating alignment issues (and, I believe emulators and GBAs can't read ROMs that are lengthened in this way).

I would say, check how long your assembled code is, and go in and delete that many bytes of free space after your code. That should fix it. And I do really mean "delete" - your hex editor will likely alert you that you're changing the size of the ROM, but your Paste Write already made the ROM larger, so you're just putting it back to its regular size.

So in short your telling me that just don't use "Paste Insert" and do "Paste Write" and sorry I'm not quite familiar in using Hex Workshop so that might be my problem I'll try this and see if it works.... :)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello pipz.
I wish to ask a question.
Hope someone can answer.

Anyway, in a Ruby ROM, is there a reason why the setwildbattle command for legendaries , no matter what level I put, they're only limited to level 10?
Wildbattle works fine, setwildbattle is the only issue.

Years
Please help...

Ok I have basically created and inserted 7 new maps into the game, the maps works fine as do the warps and etc. My problem is that if I have two of the same items placed on the map, not hidden, the ones where you can see the pokeball sprite, I will pick up the first one and then the other will disappear.

To be more clear and simple if I pick up a max revive then the other(s) on the map vanish. Any item that is not max revive still remains but the other max revive is gone. Is there something I have done wrong? They do not vanish from my bag but from the map itself.

I made the scripts for the item events with pokescript.

The Poké Ball events need to have different Person IDs.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Hello pipz.
I wish to ask a question.
Hope someone can answer.

Anyway, in a Ruby ROM, is there a reason why the setwildbattle command for legendaries , no matter what level I put, they're only limited to level 10?
Wildbattle works fine, setwildbattle is the only issue.

I had a quick look in a FireRed ROM and couldn't find anything that would change the level. Which Pokemon does it effect, specifically?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2014
  1. Is there a way to make it so that a Pokemon the player receives from a givepokemon script has a custom moveset instead of the defaults?
  2. What about an egg that will have custom moves when it hatches?
  3. What about a wild battle with a Pokemon that has a custom moveset?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
  1. Is there a way to make it so that a Pokemon the player receives from a givepokemon script has a custom moveset instead of the defaults?
  2. What about an egg that will have custom moves when it hatches?
  3. What about a wild battle with a Pokemon that has a custom moveset?

They are only possible through ASM, or JPANs hack engine for the first two. The moves a Pokemon have are encrypted, and depend on values such as Trainer ID and personality value. They can be unencrypted through ASM, though. Consult this for info on what you want :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012
Thank you, it was the person id, now I simply have the problem where when I leave the map and return the pokeballs are back, is that one of the unknowns?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2014
Is it possible to write a script that checks the level of a Pokemon? I'd like to be able to create areas that can only be accessed if the player's Pokemon are below a certain level.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I had a quick look in a FireRed ROM and couldn't find anything that would change the level. Which Pokemon does it effect, specifically?

The legendary trio...
Legendary Birds, Beasts, even Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza...
Mew and Mewtwo were fine, Ho-oh, etc...

Also, may I add that now the error/bug has worked its way to trainerbattles as well.
Specifically, trainerbattle 1...
THe trouble is one of the trainer's PKMN is level 10... =/

I have never encountered such problems before, so I am clueless as to why this is happening... -__-

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
The legendary trio...
Legendary Birds, Beasts, even Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza...
Mew and Mewtwo were fine, Ho-oh, etc...

Also, may I add that now the error/bug has worked its way to trainerbattles as well.
Specifically, trainerbattle 1...
THe trouble is one of the trainer's PKMN is level 10... =/

I have never encountered such problems before, so I am clueless as to why this is happening... -__-
In case you write most/all of the added data to the blank part of the rom (in the end of it), you should be able to find where the code for doing this is by creating an ips-patch to a file that doesn't have it and open it with a hex editor.

Format:
50 41 54 43 48 (PATCH in ASCII) [Offset to write to (3-byte value)] [Number of bytes to write (2-byte value)] [Bytes to write]

Very likely, that assembly code will be straight in the beginning after "PATCH" because Lunar IPS creates ips-patches so that it goes through the datas of edited and unedited rom file from beginning (0x0) to end (0xFFFFFF). So check if some data is written before the blank part of the rom file and try changing it back to normal (see how it's written in a rom file that doesn't have the bug in it).

Then again, if you've used programs that for example overwrite original battle sprites (change all their bytes to 00/FF), it will be more difficult to find the code for it but it wouldn't hurt looking.

TheOrangePichu

Currently working on new hack
Years
Hi there, I have a complex, yet simple question. I'm trying to revamp the entire tileset of pokemon fire red. How would i go about replacing the entire tileset and not just a tile with different palletes?

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012
Hello, not sure if anyone read past the thank you on my last post so I'm just gonna explain my new problem here haha...

When I leave a map via a warp or etc, and then return to said map the items all 'respawn' if you will. How do I stop this? Is it one of the unknowns on A M or a scripting problem?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, not sure if anyone read past the thank you on my last post so I'm just gonna explain my new problem here haha...

When I leave a map via a warp or etc, and then return to said map the items all 'respawn' if you will. How do I stop this? Is it one of the unknowns on A M or a scripting problem?

Did you use flags in your item scripts?

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012
Did you use flags in your item scripts?
Here is the exact script generated by pokescript...

#org 0x874015A
'-----------------------------------
copyvarifnotzero 0x8000 TM03
copyvarifnotzero 0x8001 0x1
callstd MSG_FIND ' PLAYER found one XXXXXX!
end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back