ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2012 (11:54 AM).

hey does anyone know how to expand or add more to the OW in Nameless sprite editor[NSE] pokemon firered ?

Pokemon fr only has 151

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 28th, 2012 (11:41 PM).
    Memento Mori
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    hey does anyone know how to expand or add more to the OW in Nameless sprite editor[NSE] pokemon firered ?

Pokemon fr only has 151
    You can use JPAN's patch or you need to expand them manually by using hex editor.
    There's a tutorial how to do it in Tutorials section.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
    Old June 29th, 2012 (5:46 AM).

I have a question, how do you change Prof. Birch's Sprite at the intro?
      I have no ideas about it.

Sorry for my bad English.
      Old June 29th, 2012 (9:36 AM).
      Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
        Hello, I have a question.

How can I change the music that will be playing in a Pokèmon battle? I'm using the trainer editor PET. There is a "music change" section in PET, but I don't think it is accurate. I went through a lot of different trainers and all of their music was 0. Help please?

Thanks again guys
        Old June 29th, 2012 (10:32 AM).
        Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
          Hello, I have a question.

How can I change the music that will be playing in a Pokèmon battle? I'm using the trainer editor PET. There is a "music change" section in PET, but I don't think it is accurate. I went through a lot of different trainers and all of their music was 0. Help please?

Thanks again guys
          This question has been asked alot recently...the only way to change it is with ASM, or Jambo51 is making a routine that'll read it from a table, allowing for custom music in-battle depending on stuff like Trainer Class.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old June 29th, 2012 (10:44 AM).
          Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
            This question has been asked alot recently...the only way to change it is with ASM, or Jambo51 is making a routine that'll read it from a table, allowing for custom music in-battle depending on stuff like Trainer Class.
            Okay, sorry about the question being asked again... Couldn't find it being asked beforehand. Thanks.
            Old June 29th, 2012 (11:59 AM). Edited June 29th, 2012 by Tannecho51.
            Pokemon Lion's Eye

Nature: Hardy
              This is a question for Ruby Version. How do you edit the beginning scripts? Not the text, but the actual script. I can't find the offsets anywhere.
              Sorry if this question was already answered, I couldn't find it anywhere in the thread.
              Old June 29th, 2012 (4:13 PM).

Thanks for the answers. I have a few more questions thought:

-I wish to create a Rival that changes gender depending on which gender we chose at the beginning, much like R/S/E. Is it easily doable in FireRed, or would I better off doing it on R/S/E?

-I'd like to have multiple kind of battle musics. However, I'm not sure how it works, and if it's possible to have more battle musics than on the original (like 3 Trainer themes while still keeping the other themes). Is it possible to do that?

-Can I apply an IPS patch (from, let's say, a hack that has all the moves from 4rd/5th gen and physical/special split) to a rom, make a Hack out of it, and create an IPS patch that will work on the original?

Thanks in advance for the answers again.
                Old June 29th, 2012 (6:34 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Daikoru View Post
                  Thanks for the answers. I have a few more questions thought:

-I wish to create a Rival that changes gender depending on which gender we chose at the beginning, much like R/S/E. Is it easily doable in FireRed, or would I better off doing it on R/S/E?

-I'd like to have multiple kind of battle musics. However, I'm not sure how it works, and if it's possible to have more battle musics than on the original (like 3 Trainer themes while still keeping the other themes). Is it possible to do that?

-Can I apply an IPS patch (from, let's say, a hack that has all the moves from 4rd/5th gen and physical/special split) to a rom, make a Hack out of it, and create an IPS patch that will work on the original?

Thanks in advance for the answers again.
                  1. Yes, this is easily doable, since the commands are the same for both versions. A typical script would check the players gender, then which starter you chose, and branch into six potential battle scenarios:
                  Spoiler:

Boy, Fire Starter
                  Boy, Water Starter
                  Boy, Grass Starter
                  Girl, Fire Starter
                  Girl, Water Starter
                  Girl, Grass Starter

So, for each encounter with the Rival, you need to have six potential battles programmed. As for changing OWs, RSE have a few OWs that dynamically change, but you can just have two different OWs, and hide the one that's the same gender as yours, and show the one that's of the opposite gender.

2. Like I mentioned above, Firered doesn't naturally have a battle music "table", it checks with ASM. Only way to fix is with ASM, or Jambo51 is apparently making a routine that lets you use a table (which I hope he's making because I still want it!)

3. Yes. When making the patch in question, you just select a clean ROM as the base, then select your hack, and IPS will make the patch fine. In short, patches of patches can be consolidated into one patch.

Old June 29th, 2012 (6:44 PM).
                  Has a tendency to figure things out

I want to know one more thing before I start on my project.

Is it currently possible to change the credits in FireRed? Text? Music?
                    I went through unLZ and found Red's credits sprite, but that's all I found.

EDIT: another thing: Can I remove the "this is your rival, name him" section in the intro?
                    Old June 29th, 2012 (9:45 PM).

Oh, thanks again for the answers! I guess I'll stick with FireRed. The main reason I've chosen FireRed is for the pictures that happen when we enter an area, I have great ideas of how to make use of them to get the player further into the plot.

I noticed thought that, apparently, you need MIDI files to make custom musics. The music I want to insert is MP3 thought (and worse: downloaded from Youtube!), yet there exists no MP3 to MIDI converter (sad, but not surprising seeing how MIDI works).

So I'm guessing one has to recreate manually the music in MIDI format. Problem is, I'm no good in music, that is one thing I unfortunately cannot do myself. Do you know any simpler solution? Or will I have to find someone able to work it out?

Also, still going on with musics: How are the battle musics chosen in battle? Is it automatically chosen depending on Trainer classes?
                      Old June 29th, 2012 (10:32 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Daikoru View Post
                        Oh, thanks again for the answers! I guess I'll stick with FireRed. The main reason I've chosen FireRed is for the pictures that happen when we enter an area, I have great ideas of how to make use of them to get the player further into the plot.

I noticed thought that, apparently, you need MIDI files to make custom musics. The music I want to insert is MP3 thought (and worse: downloaded from Youtube!), yet there exists no MP3 to MIDI converter (sad, but not surprising seeing how MIDI works).

So I'm guessing one has to recreate manually the music in MIDI format. Problem is, I'm no good in music, that is one thing I unfortunately cannot do myself. Do you know any simpler solution? Or will I have to find someone able to work it out?

Also, still going on with musics: How are the battle musics chosen in battle? Is it automatically chosen depending on Trainer classes?
                        It really depends on what kind of song you're putting in. If it's a completely custom home-made song, or by an obscure artist, then you need to make the .midi manually. If it's a song by a famous artist, chances are someone's already done the hard work, and searching for it online should bring up some stuff. Alternatively, this site has a ton of .midi files from tons of games and platforms. The best part is, you can snag any music under the GameBoy Advance section, and it'll be instantly ready to be put in-game, since it'll already have the correct number and types of tracks that the GBA requires.

I believe the music is based on Trainer Class, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old June 30th, 2012 (2:27 AM).
                        Victoria Concordia Crescit

Nature: Relaxed
                          I found the table, but how to repoint it to free space? Sorry for being a noob
                          Old June 30th, 2012 (7:32 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by アルセウス View Post
                            I found the table, but how to repoint it to free space? Sorry for being a noob
                            You start off by copying the entire table using Ctrl+C, and then paste-writing it to some free space. To clarify, paste-writing isn't usually Ctrl+V, it's a different set of keys. With HxD, the combination is Ctrl+B for a paste-write.

After you paste that into free space, take note of where you put it. For the sake of this tutorial, we'll be using 0x800000. Also write down where the original table was. Reverse both of these pointers by splitting them into pairs of two bytes, and reading it backwards. Finally, add 08 to the end (800000 becomes 00 00 80 08, for instance). Now using the Find/Replace tool in your hex editor, search for all instances of the original pointer, reversed, and replace it with your new pointer, reversed. And that's usually it when it comes to repointing.

Old June 30th, 2012 (1:52 PM). Edited June 30th, 2012 by SpadeEdge16.

Hey guys, I've been editing my rom and I've gotten to the point where I've finished editing maps for the later cities in the game, and I want to know what people usually do to test the later maps without having to wait until you play through the whole game.

And another thing. Is it possible to delete maps that are already made? Cause I don't want some of the ones already in my rom, and I also make mistakes and dont want the maps I maade myself and then they just sit there...
                              Old June 30th, 2012 (4:26 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                Hey guys, I've been editing my rom and I've gotten to the point where I've finished editing maps for the later cities in the game, and I want to know what people usually do to test the later maps without having to wait until you play through the whole game.

And another thing. Is it possible to delete maps that are already made? Cause I don't want some of the ones already in my rom, and I also make mistakes and dont want the maps I maade myself and then they just sit there...
                                I usually just use warp points from the beginning town to whatever town I want to go to, or set all the world map flags, and give myself something with Fly. Of course, it's no alternative to playing through the entire game. You have to do that eventually, so why not now?

Advance Map doesn't have a conventional way to delete maps, and frankly, it isn't necessary. Idle maps just sitting there never hurt anything, and if anything, they can be used for plenty of other things as well. Just keep all the maps where they are, just in case

Old June 30th, 2012 (6:05 PM).

I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?
                                  Old June 30th, 2012 (6:15 PM).
                                  Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
                                    I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?
                                    What kind of script is this?

If you want it happen all over again try setmaptile script....
                                    Old June 30th, 2012 (6:27 PM).

Yeah, well, I did the maps before all of my additions of new pokemon and all that, and I've
                                      heard people say not to play and save the game while working on it, but doing the awrp thing sounds good, thank you!

I just like to keep it organized, and seeing the extras there that I'm not even using kinda bugs me, but I guess I'll just start using them right away so I can feel like they've been useful, haha.
                                      Old June 30th, 2012 (6:29 PM).

Quote:
                                        Usually, in a level script of this type, you set a variable to make it so it will run only once. Which variable is determined in the header:

Spoiler:

To make run multiple times, you need to make a level script or a walk-on script outside of whatever building you are entered, to set that variable to be equal to whatever value is specified in the header (next to the "Flag" value). The level script will run whenever the variable specified (0x4086 in my case) is equal to that value (0000 in my case).

Old June 30th, 2012 (7:32 PM).

Thanks, but I still couldn't get it to work right. I had the flag set to the save setvar variable, but wasn't getting anywhere. I had tried a trip script outside the building previously, but ended up either crashing or not working.

I have removed the map script and redone it as a trip script inside the building, with the sprite in question just out of sight when it vanished instead. It functions but it's not quite the way I imagined it.

My new problem is that if I set wild Pokemon encounters to be Unowns, the game freezes every time a wild encounter starts. It doesn't matter what level the unowns are, and if I change the species it works fine, just the Unowns freezing the game.
                                          Old June 30th, 2012 (7:39 PM).
                                          Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                          • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                                          Quote:
                                          Level script type 03 will activate every time you enter the map. Types 05 and 07 will do the same but also activate when you close the menu. You do not have to associate a variable/ value combination with them so you could just use a checkflag within the script if you wanted to.
                                          Old June 30th, 2012 (7:50 PM).

If I used any script type other than 02 the screen went black and the game froze.
                                            Old June 30th, 2012 (7:53 PM).
                                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline

Quote:
                                              Thanks, but I still couldn't get it to work right. I had the flag set to the save setvar variable, but wasn't getting anywhere. I had tried a trip script outside the building previously, but ended up either crashing or not working.

I have removed the map script and redone it as a trip script inside the building, with the sprite in question just out of sight when it vanished instead. It functions but it's not quite the way I imagined it.

My new problem is that if I set wild Pokemon encounters to be Unowns, the game freezes every time a wild encounter starts. It doesn't matter what level the unowns are, and if I change the species it works fine, just the Unowns freezing the game.
                                              I should've read your original post better, I hadn't noticed what your intended script was. Type 02 is more suited for events that occur when you're finished warping into a map, with messages and applymovement-type scripts. If you just want to hide a sprite, type 03 is a completely viable option.

Edit: I suppose I deserved that...got Ninja'd :D

Old June 30th, 2012 (9:23 PM).
                                              Legendary Spriter

Nature: Bold
                                                I have a small problem if any one would help i would be very glad i want to change the pokeballs the comes in the beginning of a trainer battle

and i found them on Unlz-gba

but when i edit them and write to rom and i test it they are still found and didn't change what have i done wrong?
                                                Hacks I'm Currently Making

Join My Hacking Team(D.A.T.S)

My deviantART

Closed Thread

Quick Reply