The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #21626    
Old June 29th, 2012 (11:59 AM). Edited June 29th, 2012 by Tannecho51.
Tannecho51's Avatar
Tannecho51 Tannecho51 is offline
Pokemon Lion's Eye
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Illinois
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Hardy
    Posts: 11
    This is a question for Ruby Version. How do you edit the beginning scripts? Not the text, but the actual script. I can't find the offsets anywhere.
    Sorry if this question was already answered, I couldn't find it anywhere in the thread.

    Relevant Advertising!

      #21627    
    Old June 29th, 2012 (4:13 PM).
    Daikoru's Avatar
    Daikoru Daikoru is offline
       
      Join Date: Jan 2012
      Posts: 77
      Thanks for the answers. I have a few more questions thought:

      -I wish to create a Rival that changes gender depending on which gender we chose at the beginning, much like R/S/E. Is it easily doable in FireRed, or would I better off doing it on R/S/E?

      -I'd like to have multiple kind of battle musics. However, I'm not sure how it works, and if it's possible to have more battle musics than on the original (like 3 Trainer themes while still keeping the other themes). Is it possible to do that?

      -Can I apply an IPS patch (from, let's say, a hack that has all the moves from 4rd/5th gen and physical/special split) to a rom, make a Hack out of it, and create an IPS patch that will work on the original?

      Thanks in advance for the answers again.
        #21628    
      Old June 29th, 2012 (6:34 PM).
      redriders180's Avatar
      redriders180 redriders180 is offline
      Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
         
        Join Date: Jun 2010
        Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 540
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Daikoru View Post
        Thanks for the answers. I have a few more questions thought:

        -I wish to create a Rival that changes gender depending on which gender we chose at the beginning, much like R/S/E. Is it easily doable in FireRed, or would I better off doing it on R/S/E?

        -I'd like to have multiple kind of battle musics. However, I'm not sure how it works, and if it's possible to have more battle musics than on the original (like 3 Trainer themes while still keeping the other themes). Is it possible to do that?

        -Can I apply an IPS patch (from, let's say, a hack that has all the moves from 4rd/5th gen and physical/special split) to a rom, make a Hack out of it, and create an IPS patch that will work on the original?

        Thanks in advance for the answers again.
        1. Yes, this is easily doable, since the commands are the same for both versions. A typical script would check the players gender, then which starter you chose, and branch into six potential battle scenarios:
        Spoiler:

        Boy, Fire Starter
        Boy, Water Starter
        Boy, Grass Starter
        Girl, Fire Starter
        Girl, Water Starter
        Girl, Grass Starter


        So, for each encounter with the Rival, you need to have six potential battles programmed. As for changing OWs, RSE have a few OWs that dynamically change, but you can just have two different OWs, and hide the one that's the same gender as yours, and show the one that's of the opposite gender.

        2. Like I mentioned above, Firered doesn't naturally have a battle music "table", it checks with ASM. Only way to fix is with ASM, or Jambo51 is apparently making a routine that lets you use a table (which I hope he's making because I still want it!)

        3. Yes. When making the patch in question, you just select a clean ROM as the base, then select your hack, and IPS will make the patch fine. In short, patches of patches can be consolidated into one patch.
        __________________


        I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


          #21629    
        Old June 29th, 2012 (6:44 PM).
        Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
        Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is online now
        Has a tendency to figure things out
           
          Join Date: Jul 2007
          Location: On an island with Hakaze
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 701
          I want to know one more thing before I start on my project.

          Is it currently possible to change the credits in FireRed? Text? Music?
          I went through unLZ and found Red's credits sprite, but that's all I found.

          EDIT: another thing: Can I remove the "this is your rival, name him" section in the intro?
          __________________
            #21630    
          Old June 29th, 2012 (9:45 PM).
          Daikoru's Avatar
          Daikoru Daikoru is offline
             
            Join Date: Jan 2012
            Posts: 77
            Oh, thanks again for the answers! I guess I'll stick with FireRed. The main reason I've chosen FireRed is for the pictures that happen when we enter an area, I have great ideas of how to make use of them to get the player further into the plot.

            I noticed thought that, apparently, you need MIDI files to make custom musics. The music I want to insert is MP3 thought (and worse: downloaded from Youtube!), yet there exists no MP3 to MIDI converter (sad, but not surprising seeing how MIDI works).

            So I'm guessing one has to recreate manually the music in MIDI format. Problem is, I'm no good in music, that is one thing I unfortunately cannot do myself. Do you know any simpler solution? Or will I have to find someone able to work it out?

            Also, still going on with musics: How are the battle musics chosen in battle? Is it automatically chosen depending on Trainer classes?
              #21631    
            Old June 29th, 2012 (10:32 PM).
            redriders180's Avatar
            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
               
              Join Date: Jun 2010
              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quirky
              Posts: 540
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Daikoru View Post
              Oh, thanks again for the answers! I guess I'll stick with FireRed. The main reason I've chosen FireRed is for the pictures that happen when we enter an area, I have great ideas of how to make use of them to get the player further into the plot.

              I noticed thought that, apparently, you need MIDI files to make custom musics. The music I want to insert is MP3 thought (and worse: downloaded from Youtube!), yet there exists no MP3 to MIDI converter (sad, but not surprising seeing how MIDI works).

              So I'm guessing one has to recreate manually the music in MIDI format. Problem is, I'm no good in music, that is one thing I unfortunately cannot do myself. Do you know any simpler solution? Or will I have to find someone able to work it out?

              Also, still going on with musics: How are the battle musics chosen in battle? Is it automatically chosen depending on Trainer classes?
              It really depends on what kind of song you're putting in. If it's a completely custom home-made song, or by an obscure artist, then you need to make the .midi manually. If it's a song by a famous artist, chances are someone's already done the hard work, and searching for it online should bring up some stuff. Alternatively, this site has a ton of .midi files from tons of games and platforms. The best part is, you can snag any music under the GameBoy Advance section, and it'll be instantly ready to be put in-game, since it'll already have the correct number and types of tracks that the GBA requires.

              I believe the music is based on Trainer Class, but I'm not 100% sure.
              __________________


              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                #21632    
              Old June 30th, 2012 (2:27 AM).
              Germaniac's Avatar
              Germaniac Germaniac is offline
              Victoria Concordia Crescit
                 
                Join Date: May 2009
                Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
                Age: 19
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 564
                I found the table, but how to repoint it to free space? Sorry for being a noob
                  #21633    
                Old June 30th, 2012 (7:32 AM).
                redriders180's Avatar
                redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                  Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quirky
                  Posts: 540
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by アルセウス View Post
                  I found the table, but how to repoint it to free space? Sorry for being a noob
                  You start off by copying the entire table using Ctrl+C, and then paste-writing it to some free space. To clarify, paste-writing isn't usually Ctrl+V, it's a different set of keys. With HxD, the combination is Ctrl+B for a paste-write.

                  After you paste that into free space, take note of where you put it. For the sake of this tutorial, we'll be using 0x800000. Also write down where the original table was. Reverse both of these pointers by splitting them into pairs of two bytes, and reading it backwards. Finally, add 08 to the end (800000 becomes 00 00 80 08, for instance). Now using the Find/Replace tool in your hex editor, search for all instances of the original pointer, reversed, and replace it with your new pointer, reversed. And that's usually it when it comes to repointing.
                  __________________


                  I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                    #21634    
                  Old June 30th, 2012 (1:52 PM). Edited June 30th, 2012 by SpadeEdge16.
                  SpadeEdge16's Avatar
                  SpadeEdge16 SpadeEdge16 is offline
                     
                    Join Date: May 2012
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 154
                    Hey guys, I've been editing my rom and I've gotten to the point where I've finished editing maps for the later cities in the game, and I want to know what people usually do to test the later maps without having to wait until you play through the whole game.

                    And another thing. Is it possible to delete maps that are already made? Cause I don't want some of the ones already in my rom, and I also make mistakes and dont want the maps I maade myself and then they just sit there...
                      #21635    
                    Old June 30th, 2012 (4:26 PM).
                    redriders180's Avatar
                    redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                    Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2010
                      Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quirky
                      Posts: 540
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                      Hey guys, I've been editing my rom and I've gotten to the point where I've finished editing maps for the later cities in the game, and I want to know what people usually do to test the later maps without having to wait until you play through the whole game.

                      And another thing. Is it possible to delete maps that are already made? Cause I don't want some of the ones already in my rom, and I also make mistakes and dont want the maps I maade myself and then they just sit there...
                      I usually just use warp points from the beginning town to whatever town I want to go to, or set all the world map flags, and give myself something with Fly. Of course, it's no alternative to playing through the entire game. You have to do that eventually, so why not now?

                      Advance Map doesn't have a conventional way to delete maps, and frankly, it isn't necessary. Idle maps just sitting there never hurt anything, and if anything, they can be used for plenty of other things as well. Just keep all the maps where they are, just in case :)
                      __________________


                      I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                        #21636    
                      Old June 30th, 2012 (6:05 PM).
                      Ferox Ferox is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2012
                        Gender: Female
                        Posts: 19
                        I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?
                          #21637    
                        Old June 30th, 2012 (6:15 PM).
                        tajaros's Avatar
                        tajaros tajaros is offline
                        Hi I'm dawg
                           
                          Join Date: Apr 2012
                          Location: Philippines
                          Age: 19
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Timid
                          Posts: 857
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
                          I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?
                          What kind of script is this?

                          If you want it happen all over again try setmaptile script.... :)
                          __________________
                            #21638    
                          Old June 30th, 2012 (6:27 PM).
                          SpadeEdge16's Avatar
                          SpadeEdge16 SpadeEdge16 is offline
                             
                            Join Date: May 2012
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 154
                            Yeah, well, I did the maps before all of my additions of new pokemon and all that, and I've
                            heard people say not to play and save the game while working on it, but doing the awrp thing sounds good, thank you!

                            I just like to keep it organized, and seeing the extras there that I'm not even using kinda bugs me, but I guess I'll just start using them right away so I can feel like they've been useful, haha.
                              #21639    
                            Old June 30th, 2012 (6:29 PM).
                            redriders180's Avatar
                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                               
                              Join Date: Jun 2010
                              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quirky
                              Posts: 540
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
                              I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?
                              Usually, in a level script of this type, you set a variable to make it so it will run only once. Which variable is determined in the header:

                              Spoiler:

                              To make run multiple times, you need to make a level script or a walk-on script outside of whatever building you are entered, to set that variable to be equal to whatever value is specified in the header (next to the "Flag" value). The level script will run whenever the variable specified (0x4086 in my case) is equal to that value (0000 in my case).
                              __________________


                              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                #21640    
                              Old June 30th, 2012 (7:32 PM).
                              Ferox Ferox is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2012
                                Gender: Female
                                Posts: 19
                                Thanks, but I still couldn't get it to work right. I had the flag set to the save setvar variable, but wasn't getting anywhere. I had tried a trip script outside the building previously, but ended up either crashing or not working.

                                I have removed the map script and redone it as a trip script inside the building, with the sprite in question just out of sight when it vanished instead. It functions but it's not quite the way I imagined it.

                                My new problem is that if I set wild Pokemon encounters to be Unowns, the game freezes every time a wild encounter starts. It doesn't matter what level the unowns are, and if I change the species it works fine, just the Unowns freezing the game.
                                  #21641    
                                Old June 30th, 2012 (7:39 PM).
                                DrFuji's Avatar
                                DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                                Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2009
                                Location: Aussie
                                Age: 25
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Jolly
                                Posts: 1,385
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
                                I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?
                                Level script type 03 will activate every time you enter the map. Types 05 and 07 will do the same but also activate when you close the menu. You do not have to associate a variable/ value combination with them so you could just use a checkflag within the script if you wanted to.
                                __________________
                                  #21642    
                                Old June 30th, 2012 (7:50 PM).
                                Ferox Ferox is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jun 2012
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Posts: 19
                                  If I used any script type other than 02 the screen went black and the game froze.
                                    #21643    
                                  Old June 30th, 2012 (7:53 PM).
                                  redriders180's Avatar
                                  redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                  Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2010
                                    Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Quirky
                                    Posts: 540
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
                                    Thanks, but I still couldn't get it to work right. I had the flag set to the save setvar variable, but wasn't getting anywhere. I had tried a trip script outside the building previously, but ended up either crashing or not working.

                                    I have removed the map script and redone it as a trip script inside the building, with the sprite in question just out of sight when it vanished instead. It functions but it's not quite the way I imagined it.

                                    My new problem is that if I set wild Pokemon encounters to be Unowns, the game freezes every time a wild encounter starts. It doesn't matter what level the unowns are, and if I change the species it works fine, just the Unowns freezing the game.
                                    I should've read your original post better, I hadn't noticed what your intended script was. Type 02 is more suited for events that occur when you're finished warping into a map, with messages and applymovement-type scripts. If you just want to hide a sprite, type 03 is a completely viable option.

                                    Edit: I suppose I deserved that...got Ninja'd :D
                                    __________________


                                    I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                      #21644    
                                    Old June 30th, 2012 (9:23 PM).
                                    ADLFM14's Avatar
                                    ADLFM14 ADLFM14 is offline
                                    Legendary Spriter
                                       
                                      Join Date: May 2012
                                      Location: EGYPT
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Bold
                                      Posts: 42
                                      I have a small problem if any one would help i would be very glad i want to change the pokeballs the comes in the beginning of a trainer battle

                                      and i found them on Unlz-gba

                                      but when i edit them and write to rom and i test it they are still found and didn't change what have i done wrong?
                                      __________________
                                      My Tutorials:
                                      Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step By Step ;)
                                      How To Insert An OW Sprite In NSE Classic Step By Step.:cross-eye
                                      Hacks I'm Currently Making


                                      Join My Hacking Team(D.A.T.S)




                                      My deviantART


                                        #21645    
                                      Old July 1st, 2012 (5:48 AM).
                                      miksy91's Avatar
                                      miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                                      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                                         
                                        Join Date: Oct 2008
                                        Location: Finland
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 1,442
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by ADLFM14 View Post
                                        I have a small problem if any one would help i would be very glad i want to change the pokeballs the comes in the beginning of a trainer battle

                                        and i found them on Unlz-gba

                                        but when i edit them and write to rom and i test it they are still found and didn't change what have i done wrong?
                                        In theory, the same pokeball graphics can be written "unlimited" times in rom so if you've changed graphics of a pokeball, it doesn't necessarily mean it will affect the game in any way. But there is no good reason for the game's creators to do this so likely that you've accomplished to do, is to change pokeball graphics that are loaded sometime during the gameplay but not in battle.
                                        __________________
                                        Pokémon Dark Energy
                                        Some of my ROM hacking related stuff
                                          #21646    
                                        Old July 1st, 2012 (5:55 AM). Edited July 1st, 2012 by Spherical Ice.
                                        Spherical Ice's Avatar
                                        Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Nov 2007
                                        Location: Bristol, UK
                                        Age: 20
                                        Posts: 5,214
                                        So I've applied JPAN's patch, followed metapod23's Overworld inserting tutorial and everything works well, EXCEPT whenever the new overworld table is loaded (when the overworld with the unknown 0001 is loaded), the rain sprite gets completely removed and replaced with white rectangles, like so:



                                        I checked the Tile Viewer, and it seems when the overworld is loaded, the rain image is replaced with just... black.



                                        The rain works whenever the overworld hasnt been loaded or isnt accessing the new table.

                                        Why does this happen, is there a way of fixing it, etc?

                                        edit

                                        Okay, so it appears when the Overworld that uses the new table is loaded, data at 06010380 on the memory viewer through to 061B2380 is replaced with free space (FF). That massive chunk contains the image data for some of the footprint graphics and weather graphics, so whatever is setting that big chunk to FF temporarily...I hate. Would anyone know what it is that is causing this and how to prevent it? It's really, really frustrating.
                                          #21647    
                                        Old July 1st, 2012 (2:08 PM).
                                        RaditzNappa RaditzNappa is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Feb 2011
                                          Posts: 1
                                          How do you edit the town map/fly screen in FR/LG, so as to correspond to an edited overworld?
                                            #21648    
                                          Old July 1st, 2012 (2:30 PM).
                                          SpadeEdge16's Avatar
                                          SpadeEdge16 SpadeEdge16 is offline
                                             
                                            Join Date: May 2012
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Posts: 154
                                            A few Amap question.
                                            How come when my character enters a cave I made, he is facing the exit?
                                            Also, I changed the weather in cerulean city to sunny with clouds on the water, but when the coouds go by, they also continue on some other tiles as well, how can I fix this?
                                              #21649    
                                            Old July 1st, 2012 (3:31 PM).
                                            redriders180's Avatar
                                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                               
                                              Join Date: Jun 2010
                                              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Quirky
                                              Posts: 540
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                              A few Amap question.
                                              How come when my character enters a cave I made, he is facing the exit?
                                              Also, I changed the weather in cerulean city to sunny with clouds on the water, but when the coouds go by, they also continue on some other tiles as well, how can I fix this?
                                              The way the clouds are programmed are they have a priority level of 3, which is the lowest priority. This basically means they only show up on the bottom layer of tiles with the background byte "block is covered by hero". To fix it, you need to adapt your tiles accordingly. It's such a finnicky weather that it's rarely used, even in the original games.
                                              __________________


                                              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                                #21650    
                                              Old July 1st, 2012 (6:09 PM).
                                              Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
                                              Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is online now
                                              Has a tendency to figure things out
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Jul 2007
                                                Location: On an island with Hakaze
                                                Age: 23
                                                Gender: Male
                                                Nature: Quirky
                                                Posts: 701
                                                Update: I think I found the "The End" graphic in unLZ, but i can't find the credits, even in A-Text. Is it even possible to edit the credits in FireRed?

                                                Also, I'll restate my other question. Is it currently possible to remove the part in the intro where Oak introduces your Rival and you name him?
                                                __________________
                                                Closed Thread

                                                Quick Reply

                                                Join the conversation!

                                                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                                Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                                Sponsored Links
                                                Thread Tools

                                                Posting Rules
                                                You may not post new threads
                                                You may not post replies
                                                You may not post attachments
                                                You may not edit your posts

                                                BB code is On
                                                Smilies are On
                                                [IMG] code is On
                                                HTML code is Off

                                                Forum Jump


                                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:51 PM.