• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive teams for Battle Subway

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Hi guys, im new to B&W as well as this forum so i hope im able to get some guidance and advice on the game.

So i recently just beat the game and i found this Battle Subway feature that actually packs a punch compared to the normal gameplay itself. So i actually went ahead and read quite abit over the net on competitive battling and learnt a bunch of cool stuff about pokemon building.

so cut the long story short, i built this team below just for BS but somehow it seems to work well only to around 2x streak(couldnt even get to the subway boss D: ) on SS before getting shutdown. Hope u guys can comment on my team and hopefully it improve it !

P/S: i dont have much friends in RL to really trade so some items and pokemon that require trading / poke transfer / dream world etc i dont really have access to it so im kinda limited x.x''

My BS team

Tyranitar @ Focus sash ( to survive irritating OHKO from fighting types )
Ability : Sand Stream
Adamant with 252 Att EV / 252 Spd EV / 4 HP EV
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Giga impact

My tyranitar basically sets up the sandstorm from its ability in the beginning and i try to sweep as much as possible before it gets KO-ed. Stone edge and damage from Sandstorm at normal effect usually KOs a bunch of pokemon already.

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry
Ability : Sturdy
Careful with 252 Def EV / 252 SDef EV / 4 HP EV
-Power split
-Rest
-Earthquake (Previously Toxic)
-Stone Edge (Previously Double Team)

Changed the toxic strategy as i always get countered by steel / poison types or Taunt

My shuckle usually trys to stall its opponent and cripple him with power split(almost effectively cutting its att and spatt by half) and uses the power stolen from its opponent to deal some damage. As my team has a generally weakness to fighting and ground types, i usually try to weaken the opponent with power split before exposing my sweepers to them.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability : Inner Focus
Adamant with 252 Att EV / 252 SPD EV / 4 HP EV
-Sword Dance
-Crunch
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed

well, quite obviously another sweeper. However, although i tried my very best to breed a 31 Spd IV with 252 Spd EV lucario(i knew its def was relatively weak so i must sweep before i get sweeped) I still get Outspd by alot of other pokemon e.g Enemy Lucarios. i knew my nature didnt help with the speed but this lucario was the best from millions of eggs -.-". 31 IVs in HP,Att, Def, Spd. i Dont really know how to RNG so i cant get a flawless one.

i generally want to try to avoid getting damage from my own sandstorm so i sticked around rock, ground and steel types, which are relatively exposed to similar weakness. My streak always get shutdown by water, fighting and ground types but i cant really think of a pokemon that can resist those types but also at the same time, not take damage from sandstorm. Hope some pokemon pros out there could give me some help !

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Never use Hyper Beam style moves. Ever. Even in Battle Subway teams because you'll be left as a sitting duck next turn. Replace Tyranitar's Giga Impact with something else. Tyranitar has a wide move pool, so you can choose a move to take that slot.

Shuckle should use max HP and max 1 defensive stat for its EVs because having max EVs in both defenses is inefficient. Use 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef.

You can also give Lucario Air Balloon to let it temporarily avoid Earthquake.

Ferrothorn is your best bet for a Water resist in sandstorm; Reuniclus is good for a Fighting resist because of Magic Guard. One of them can go over Shuckle:

Ferrothorn:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Reuniclus:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard

or
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 192 HP/64 Def/252 SAtk

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
Never use Hyper Beam style moves. Ever. Even in Battle Subway teams because you'll be left as a sitting duck next turn. Replace Tyranitar's Giga Impact with something else. Tyranitar has a wide move pool, so you can choose a move to take that slot.

Shuckle should use max HP and max 1 defensive stat for its EVs because having max EVs in both defenses is inefficient. Use 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef.

You can also give Lucario Air Balloon to let it temporarily avoid Earthquake.

Ferrothorn is your best bet for a Water resist in sandstorm; Reuniclus is good for a Fighting resist because of Magic Guard. One of them can go over Shuckle:

Ferrothorn:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Reuniclus:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover

or
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 192 HP/64 Def/252 SAtk

amazing how to nvr seemed to consider these 2 lol ! will train both of them and try them out .

one thing i seem to realise is people are talking alot about spike, toxic spike, stealth rock kinda builds. i haven really seen one in action so i dont understand how they are often exploited ? also i have seen ppl with all 3 entry hazard move on ferro, is that good ? using ferro just as a entry hazard set up ?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
amazing how to nvr seemed to consider these 2 lol ! will train both of them and try them out .

one thing i seem to realise is people are talking alot about spike, toxic spike, stealth rock kinda builds. i haven really seen one in action so i dont understand how they are often exploited ? also i have seen ppl with all 3 entry hazard move on ferro, is that good ? using ferro just as a entry hazard set up ?

I think you're referring to Forretress, who can learn all 3 entry hazards (which Ferrothorn can't, since it learns only 2 of them). Still, it's not a good idea to do that because Forretress would become setup bait. Speaking of Ferrothorn, it's better to use Leech Seed rather than one of Stealth Rock/Spikes because it lacks recovery outside of Leech Seed and Rest. The bottom line: use 1-2 hazards if you have the room.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
ok i get where you're coming from. ok i have decided to breed both the first reuniclus and the ferro. any advice on the IVs tt i should at least try to get 31 on ?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
ok i get where you're coming from. ok i have decided to breed both the first reuniclus and the ferro. any advice on the IVs tt i should at least try to get 31 on ?

Try to get a 0 IV on Ferrothorn, since Gyro Ball depends on both battling Pokemon's Speed (the slower the user is, the stronger Gyro Ball becomes). If you don't want to bother with perfect IVs, 20-31 IVs in the stats you're taking advantage of should be close enough. Same applies for Reuniclus (its Attack and Speed shouldn't matter because it's a Special attacker and it's very slow regardless).

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
i just realised a problem . im playing pokemon white and i cant get a turtwig for leech seed and stealth rock. i also cant get a cacturne for leech seed and spike since i cant get those in white. im afraid i cant do ferro alr ? :(

also regarding the first reuniclus build
Reuniclus:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover

y the emphasize on def ? compared to maybe a spatt emphasize ?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
i just realised a problem . im playing pokemon white and i cant get a turtwig for leech seed and stealth rock. i also cant get a cacturne for leech seed and spike since i cant get those in white. im afraid i cant do ferro alr ? :(

also regarding the first reuniclus build
Reuniclus:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover

y the emphasize on def ? compared to maybe a spatt emphasize ?

CM Reuniclus is better off with defensive EVs so that it can set up Calm Mind multiple times over the match. This spread also makes good use of its bulk. Its Special stats are already boosted by CM anyways to make up for the lack of Special stat investment.

Back