• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 8 - 10th July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 8 - 10th July 2012
Download

The anniversary special!

One year ago today, Poccil told me that he would be happy to donate his Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit to the wiki I created for it, as he had lost interest in maintaining it himself. I took over development of the kit, and 366 days later, here we are!

So what's new?

Affecting Effects
  • A large bucket-load of new item, move and ability effects have been added, as well as the improvement of many existing effects. There are far too many to list (I gave up trying, so I literally don't know what exactly I've done), but trust me, there's a lot.
Getting Animated
  • Animations and the Animation Editor have been improved, introducing a new kind of animation and a new way of displaying them. The new animation kind is called "Screen" (the old "Screen" has been renamed to something more appropriate), which doesn't stretch or twist in any way, meaning it's perfect for things like showing weather or moves like Surf which just wash over everything. The new display method is the introduction of cel priorities - a cell is either higher priority or lower priority, with higher ones being drawn after (i.e. on top of) lower ones. This means you can pop some cels behind the battlers, which I'm sure people will find useful.
Transforming forms
  • You know how Pokémon don't change their appearance in battle, unless they're using the move Transform? Well, not any more! Nowadays all Pokémon whose form could change in the middle of battle (Castform, Shaymin and so on) actually do so. The differences between those forms have been put with the rest of the form difference information for convenience. Oh, and there's form difference information for Gen 5 Pokémon too, should you feel the urge to include them in your game.
Round, Round, Get Around, I Get Around
  • Moving around maps has now been improved a bit. Sliding on ice no longer mucks up where the camera ends up pointing at, and you no longer jump insane heights just to get over ledges. The darkness in dark maps now looks nicer with its new fades. Bicycles are now strictly prohibited if you want to team up with a partner trainer.
Bug Fixes
  • Because it wouldn't be a proper release without them. Some of them are rather important, such as the previously incorrect type effectiveness calculations, which always surprises me as to how they weren't discovered earlier. It's always interesting to read these, as you might not have realised what you used to put up with.

There are plenty of other things I've also done in this version, but are too minor to be mentioned. It's all in the change log on the wiki.

I haven't tested the vast majority of the new effects I've added, so there are bound to be some that don't work properly (or at all). Please let me know below if you find any.

Cheers!

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Great work maruno i checked few things already, later will look more into it and move my game there. Great Work and thanks. :)

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Congrats Maruno, I can't imagine how hard and quick you worked on this to get this out for yesterday/today, well done.

Maruno

Years
Important!
A couple of serious bugs were found in this version. I have fixed them and uploaded the fixed version. If you have already downloaded the first (buggy) release, delete it and download the much better version that is now available on the wiki.

If your downloaded file is called Pokémon Essentials 2012-07-10, that is the old release and you should get rid of it.

The new file is called Pokémon Essentials v8 2012-07-10.

Maruno

Years
You say "clever", I say "cheesy".

They are now. Usually it takes me about a week to update the wiki with the correct information after a release. For now, the pages "Function codes" and "Ability effects" are up to date, and the talk page of "Item effects" has a list of missing item effects for completeness (they didn't seem to fit into the main page). The other pages will be updated eventually.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
I just want to know how I can transfer my game from version 7 to this version 8? Can some one tell me how please?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Just copy your data from your data folder to Essentials data folder: Maps, mapinfos, messages, commonevents, townmap, trainers, trainerlists, trainertypes, types and encounters... Everything else is up to you, these are the things that won't effect Essentials in any way.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Question on the Pokemon.txt file

I'm not sure where to post this. It's not a big, I have a question directly related to the newest version of essentials. I see one of the biggest updates was that Pokemon now change forms when they are supposed to. To make this happen, we're there changes made to the txt Pokemon file, or just to scripts. I added regional numbers on over 200 Pokemon to the last version, and want to copy it over, but am worried about then replacing any important changes to the Pokemon txt file. And if there were changes to the file, was it just on form changing Pokemon?

Maruno

Years
I'm not sure where to post this. It's not a big, I have a question directly related to the newest version of essentials. I see one of the biggest updates was that Pokemon now change forms when they are supposed to. To make this happen, we're there changes made to the txt Pokemon file, or just to scripts. I added regional numbers on over 200 Pokemon to the last version, and want to copy it over, but am worried about then replacing any important changes to the Pokemon txt file. And if there were changes to the file, was it just on form changing Pokemon?
No, nothing was changed in pokemon.txt since version 7, except for the rearranging of Eevee's evolution methods.

All form-changing goes on in the scripts, including the details of all alternate forms.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Not much to say except that this is one of the best updates I've seen. Been dying for all these gen 4-5 move and ability functions.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
! <3
Don't have to redo pokemon.txt AND save files still work from v7! It's like Christmas~
Speaking of those, how's the save converter thing? Is there anything else you need me to do for it?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Good release! Nice sample Game Corner event with the game console XD. Maybe you can put a debug option to change Game Corner coins.

Since you removed the PokemonBoxManager script section, you may, at least, give permission to put on some wikia page? Probably someone can use something, I don't think that is a good idea to throw away a very big script done by a genius.

Maruno

Years
Good release! Nice sample Game Corner event with the game console XD. Maybe you can put a debug option to change Game Corner coins.

Since you removed the PokemonBoxManager script section, you may, at least, give permission to put on some wikia page? Probably someone can use something, I don't think that is a good idea to throw away a very big script done by a genius.
That debug option already exists. It's in the Debug menu (I know, right?).

I don't remember anyone ever needing permission to edit the wiki. However, in this case I don't think the PokemonBoxManager script should be uploaded to it. It's useless for the remarkably vast majority of users, and the (literally) one or two people who would actually want to play with it can download an old version and extract it. Basically, it's clutter.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
That debug option already exists. It's in the Debug menu (I know, right?).

I don't remember anyone ever needing permission to edit the wiki. However, in this case I don't think the PokemonBoxManager script should be uploaded to it. It's useless for the remarkably vast majority of users, and the (literally) one or two people who would actually want to play with it can download an old version and extract it. Basically, it's clutter.
Really it is on debug. I can't believe that I won't find it before XD.

Consider after a big time like five years that almost no one knows about the PokemonBoxManager existence,

LOL necessary evil in scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back