ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #22026    
Old July 13th, 2012 (12:26 PM).
FrozenInfernoZX's Avatar
FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
What is out there?
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: United States
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 769
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reum View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I absolutely cannot find it. How can I edit the beginning talk with prof. Oak in FR/LG right when the game starts like when Oak asks what your name is, what your rival's name is, etc.
    That would be using the program Advance Text.

    Relevant Advertising!

      #22027    
    Old July 13th, 2012 (12:27 PM).
    redriders180's Avatar
    redriders180 redriders180 is offline
    Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
       
      Join Date: Jun 2010
      Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 540
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
      I am currently doing some scripting. Not wanting to waste free space I decided to start off by editing existing scripts (reusing their offsets to create entirely new events). If my new script is larger than the original script in terms of size, does the script editor automatically repoint the script to a place with free space or would other scripts/things in rom get overwritten?
      Yes, it will overwrite the other scripts. That's why I'm a strong proponent of Rom Bases with every script removed. It gives you greater control of scripts and where they go, and you aren't limited to a pre-existing script size.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
      The SS is in the attachment.
      Also, do you happen to know which palette you used while editing this?

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Reum View Post
      Sorry if this has been asked before but I absolutely cannot find it. How can I edit the beginning talk with prof. Oak in FR/LG right when the game starts like when Oak asks what your name is, what your rival's name is, etc.
      Using Advance Text will allow you to edit the dialogue. Nothing but ASM will let you edit the intro itself.
      __________________


      I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


        #22028    
      Old July 13th, 2012 (1:26 PM).
      FrozenInfernoZX's Avatar
      FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
      What is out there?
         
        Join Date: Jun 2012
        Location: United States
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 769
        Okay, so I currently have 6-7 scripts inserted to my first city. So I should be fine as long as keep scripting here on out? Such as not reusing any other scripts and just reusing the offsets? (By offsets, I mean that box you put the $ number in Advance Map).

        Or just delete all the scripts in the game, (manually through each map). The thing is that if all the existed scripts are deleted, and I want to reuse the offset, where would I be able to find the offset? Or when deleting a script through advance map, does the script turn into freespace?
          #22029    
        Old July 13th, 2012 (2:05 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by MissDigitalis.
        MissDigitalis's Avatar
        MissDigitalis MissDigitalis is offline
           
          Join Date: Dec 2011
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 115
          When I try to open my APIE I'm told that the INIs are not compatible. Can anyone help?
          I'm hacking fire red so it should be BPRE right? I've gone down my list of all my INIs and none of them are supposedly compatible with my ROMs.

          To be more specific my error message is "the ROM is not compatible with any files in the INIs folder"
          __________________

            #22030    
          Old July 13th, 2012 (2:11 PM).
          redriders180's Avatar
          redriders180 redriders180 is offline
          Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
             
            Join Date: Jun 2010
            Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quirky
            Posts: 540
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
            Okay, so I currently have 6-7 scripts inserted to my first city. So I should be fine as long as keep scripting here on out? Such as not reusing any other scripts and just reusing the offsets? (By offsets, I mean that box you put the $ number in Advance Map).

            Or just delete all the scripts in the game, (manually through each map). The thing is that if all the existed scripts are deleted, and I want to reuse the offset, where would I be able to find the offset? Or when deleting a script through advance map, does the script turn into freespace?
            Deleting scripts can be done a few ways. Open XSE and do one of the following:

            1. #removeall 0xOFFSET. This will completely delete a single script from the game, turning the space it occupied into 0xFF. This includes strings, Pokemart data, applymovement data, goto and call commands.

            2. #remove 0xOFFSET. This will delete one part of a script: Basically, just the commands. Strings, Pokemart data, applymovement data, and scripts that are called via "goto" or "call" are preserved for future use.

            Note: #removemart, and #removemove also exist. They remove Pokemart data and Applymovement data, respectively.

            3. #erase 0xOFFSET 0xLENGTH. This will take the bytes starting at 0xOFFSET, and ending LENGTH bytes from that offset, and turn it into free space. Example: #erase 0x800000 0x5 will erase 0x800000, and the five bytes after it.

            4. #eraserange 0xOFFSET1 0xOFFSET2. This will take the bytes between OFFSET1 and OFFSET2 and turn it into free space. Example: #eraserange 0x800000 0x900000 will erase everything between 0x800000 and 0x900000.
            __________________


            I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


              #22031    
            Old July 13th, 2012 (2:36 PM).
            SacredMurathJohn's Avatar
            SacredMurathJohn SacredMurathJohn is offline
            ROM Hacking
               
              Join Date: Jul 2012
              Location: Turkey
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 41
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
              Also, do you happen to know which palette you used while editing this?
              If I knew the pallette, I would change with APE and fix it to normal colors.
                #22032    
              Old July 13th, 2012 (3:36 PM).
              FrozenInfernoZX's Avatar
              FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
              What is out there?
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2012
                Location: United States
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Adamant
                Posts: 769
                Okay, I used it. And now the script has a bunch of #raw 0xFF. Then the old script is all the way at the bottom. Is that normal?
                  #22033    
                Old July 13th, 2012 (3:38 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by redriders180.
                redriders180's Avatar
                redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                  Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quirky
                  Posts: 540
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
                  If I knew the pallette, I would change with APE and fix it to normal colors.
                  The badges' palette is odd...when I tried to use other colors besides the first five, the game would crash when I opened the trainer card. Be careful if you do edit the palette...it might cause similar pitfalls. Make a backup, of course, and if the game does do something crazy, you'll just have to use the old palette.

                  Anyway, the palette is either at 0x3CD2C0 or0x3CD2E0. Both of the palettes at these offsets are identical, so there's nothing I can do to determine which is the right one. Just try both and see what you get.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
                  Okay, I used it. And now the script has a bunch of #raw 0xFF. Then the old script is all the way at the bottom. Is that normal?
                  The commands I gave you fill the space occupied by the script with 0xFFs. They would be interpreted as #raw 0xFFs by XSE if you tried to decompile them like a script. So yes, it is normal.

                  Actually, which of the four did you use? When I use #removeall, nothing shows up at all when I decompile the script.
                  __________________


                  I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                    #22034    
                  Old July 13th, 2012 (4:09 PM).
                  FrozenInfernoZX's Avatar
                  FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
                  What is out there?
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2012
                    Location: United States
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Adamant
                    Posts: 769
                    Okay, and when looking for freespace, how do I know how much to look for? The default in pksv is 0x100. Thanks for the help by the way.
                      #22035    
                    Old July 13th, 2012 (4:12 PM).
                    redriders180's Avatar
                    redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                    Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2010
                      Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quirky
                      Posts: 540
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
                      Okay, and when looking for freespace, how do I know how much to look for? The default in pksv is 0x100. Thanks for the help by the way.
                      Just use dynamic offsets...no need to look for free space, since XSE will do it automatically. As for the people who use the free space finder to find offsets, and then take those offsets and use them for dynamic offsets, you're wasting your time. Just being every script with #dynamic 0x800000...its less work for everyone
                      __________________


                      I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                        #22036    
                      Old July 13th, 2012 (7:29 PM).
                      MissDigitalis's Avatar
                      MissDigitalis MissDigitalis is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Dec 2011
                        Gender: Female
                        Posts: 115
                        Oh, I figured it out. In case anyone else was wondering how to fix this you just have to reinstall the INIs that come with the main program.
                        __________________

                          #22037    
                        Old July 13th, 2012 (7:30 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by FrozenInfernoZX.
                        FrozenInfernoZX's Avatar
                        FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
                        What is out there?
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2012
                          Location: United States
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Adamant
                          Posts: 769
                          Thanks alot man. I appreciate it. I am starting to get the hang of things. Almost finished my first town with fully functional events!

                          Edit - Quick question. What exactly does setvar do?
                            #22038    
                          Old July 13th, 2012 (9:05 PM).
                          Renegade's Avatar
                          Renegade Renegade is offline
                          Time for real life...
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2011
                            Location: United States
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Careful
                            Posts: 998
                            I have a question. Does anyone know if there is any limit to how many scripts you can assign to one map? Or is it basically infinite?
                              #22039    
                            Old July 13th, 2012 (9:29 PM).
                            redriders180's Avatar
                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                               
                              Join Date: Jun 2010
                              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quirky
                              Posts: 540
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                              I have a question. Does anyone know if there is any limit to how many scripts you can assign to one map? Or is it basically infinite?
                              As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.
                              __________________


                              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                #22040    
                              Old July 13th, 2012 (9:37 PM).
                              Renegade's Avatar
                              Renegade Renegade is offline
                              Time for real life...
                                 
                                Join Date: Nov 2011
                                Location: United States
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Careful
                                Posts: 998
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.
                                Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.
                                  #22041    
                                Old July 13th, 2012 (10:15 PM).
                                redriders180's Avatar
                                redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                                  Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Quirky
                                  Posts: 540
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                                  Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.
                                  The change is temporary. If you called such a command in a script, the person will continue to have that behavior until you leave the map, either by warping or walking. The only way to have it as a permanent change is to place it in a level script.
                                  __________________


                                  I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                    #22042    
                                  Old July 13th, 2012 (10:37 PM).
                                  FrozenInfernoZX's Avatar
                                  FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
                                  What is out there?
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2012
                                    Location: United States
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Adamant
                                    Posts: 769
                                    I actually used XSE to delete the script and used PKSV to script. PKSV shows all those raws I told you about and XSE does not. Same thing?
                                      #22043    
                                    Old July 14th, 2012 (1:34 AM).
                                    SacredMurathJohn's Avatar
                                    SacredMurathJohn SacredMurathJohn is offline
                                    ROM Hacking
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jul 2012
                                      Location: Turkey
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Hasty
                                      Posts: 41
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                      The badges' palette is odd...when I tried to use other colors besides the first five, the game would crash when I opened the trainer card. Be careful if you do edit the palette...it might cause similar pitfalls. Make a backup, of course, and if the game does do something crazy, you'll just have to use the old palette.

                                      Anyway, the palette is either at 0x3CD2C0 or0x3CD2E0. Both of the palettes at these offsets are identical, so there's nothing I can do to determine which is the right one. Just try both and see what you get.
                                      Both of them are not pallettes. But you gave me an idea and I found the palette offset from UNLZ-GBA and changed with APE.
                                      Thanks so much.
                                        #22044    
                                      Old July 14th, 2012 (7:31 AM).
                                      adenosin adenosin is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2012
                                        Posts: 2
                                        How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

                                        this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
                                        setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
                                        checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0
                                          #22045    
                                        Old July 14th, 2012 (7:52 AM).
                                        redriders180's Avatar
                                        redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                        Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jun 2010
                                          Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Quirky
                                          Posts: 540
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by adenosin View Post
                                          How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

                                          this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
                                          setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
                                          checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0
                                          The "Checkmoney" routine requires a word as it's input, and variables are only half-words. The easiest way is ASM...I will gladly write you a simple routine, but I can't find where the money is stored in the RAM. Once I find it, I'll send the routine to you in a VM.
                                          __________________


                                          I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                            #22046    
                                          Old July 14th, 2012 (11:20 AM).
                                          SpadeEdge16's Avatar
                                          SpadeEdge16 SpadeEdge16 is offline
                                             
                                            Join Date: May 2012
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Posts: 154
                                            When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

                                            Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.
                                              #22047    
                                            Old July 14th, 2012 (11:23 AM).
                                            Banjora Marxvile's Avatar
                                            Banjora Marxvile Banjora Marxvile is offline
                                            hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
                                               
                                              Join Date: May 2008
                                              Age: 23
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Bashful
                                              Posts: 3,487
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                              When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

                                              Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.
                                              A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

                                              If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.
                                              __________________


                                              Temmie vibrates intensely.

                                              awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

                                              OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

                                              can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

                                              RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

                                                #22048    
                                              Old July 14th, 2012 (11:53 AM).
                                              HaydenSane HaydenSane is offline
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Jul 2012
                                                Posts: 6
                                                Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

                                                Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
                                                  #22049    
                                                Old July 14th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
                                                Mana's Avatar
                                                Mana Mana is offline
                                                • Platinum Tier
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Jan 2009
                                                Location: UK
                                                Gender: Female
                                                Posts: 10,005
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by HaydenSane View Post
                                                Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

                                                Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
                                                You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

                                                XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
                                                  #22050    
                                                Old July 14th, 2012 (11:58 AM). Edited July 14th, 2012 by HaydenSane.
                                                HaydenSane HaydenSane is offline
                                                   
                                                  Join Date: Jul 2012
                                                  Posts: 6
                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post


                                                  You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

                                                  XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
                                                  I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

                                                  Sorry for being an idiot.

                                                  Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. Thank you!
                                                  Closed Thread
                                                  Quick Reply

                                                  Sponsored Links
                                                  Thread Tools

                                                  Posting Rules
                                                  You may not post new threads
                                                  You may not post replies
                                                  You may not post attachments
                                                  You may not edit your posts

                                                  BB code is On
                                                  Smilies are On
                                                  [IMG] code is On
                                                  HTML code is Off

                                                  Forum Jump


                                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:46 PM.