ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2012 (9:29 PM).
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
    I have a question. Does anyone know if there is any limit to how many scripts you can assign to one map? Or is it basically infinite?
    As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 13th, 2012 (9:37 PM).
    Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
      As far as I can tell, the theoretical max for each type of script (Person, script, or signpost) is 255 per. However, only 16 person events can be displayed at a given time on a given screen. Otherwise, I think that's it...although it'd probably lag if you put that many scripts on a map.
      Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.
      Old July 13th, 2012 (10:15 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
        Thanks, but I have another question... (Just trying to get everything out at once) When the command "spritebehave" is used, is it a permanent change to the sprite's behavior? (By behavior I mean what they do such as walking around or looking left or something) Thanks.
        The change is temporary. If you called such a command in a script, the person will continue to have that behavior until you leave the map, either by warping or walking. The only way to have it as a permanent change is to place it in a level script.

Old July 13th, 2012 (10:37 PM).
        What is out there?

Nature: Adamant
          I actually used XSE to delete the script and used PKSV to script. PKSV shows all those raws I told you about and XSE does not. Same thing?
          Old July 14th, 2012 (1:34 AM).
          ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
            Quote:
            The badges' palette is odd...when I tried to use other colors besides the first five, the game would crash when I opened the trainer card. Be careful if you do edit the palette...it might cause similar pitfalls. Make a backup, of course, and if the game does do something crazy, you'll just have to use the old palette.

Anyway, the palette is either at 0x3CD2C0 or0x3CD2E0. Both of the palettes at these offsets are identical, so there's nothing I can do to determine which is the right one. Just try both and see what you get.
            Both of them are not pallettes. But you gave me an idea and I found the palette offset from UNLZ-GBA and changed with APE.
            Thanks so much.
            Old July 14th, 2012 (7:31 AM).

How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
              setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
              checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0
              Old July 14th, 2012 (7:52 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by adenosin View Post
                How do I check if player's money is bigger than a variable (or how do I store money in a variable)?

this code doesn't work (treats var as value):
                setvar 0x[var] 0x[ammount]
                checkmoney 0x[var] 0x0
                The "Checkmoney" routine requires a word as it's input, and variables are only half-words. The easiest way is ASM...I will gladly write you a simple routine, but I can't find where the money is stored in the RAM. Once I find it, I'll send the routine to you in a VM.

Old July 14th, 2012 (11:20 AM).

When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.
                  Old July 14th, 2012 (11:23 AM).
                  hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                    When hacking your own music into the game, what does it mean when it says get your "midi"? Cause the tut I found says how to do it all and what to do with your midi, but it doesn't say what that is. Is it a conversion of a mp3 file or something?

Also, how long does it usually take to make your own hack? I'm just making one of FR by myself, and one other person drawing my new Pokemon as pixels, I'm doing, or at least trying to do, all the scripting on my own. So far I've been working on it about 2 and a half months.
                    A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old July 14th, 2012 (11:53 AM).

Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
                      Old July 14th, 2012 (11:55 AM).
                      • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by HaydenSane View Post
                      Okay. I know how to edit scripts that are already there. And usually if there are already enough scripts, I'm fine. But I'm not sure, in AdvanceMap, how to add a totally new script. For example, I increase the number of signposts, and set the X and Y coordinates to where I want them to be. But then what? I looked through the tutorials but didn't see one that explained how to create an entirely new script at a new point. I get the concept of the dynamic offsets, but not how to point AdvanceMap at one.

Sorry if I'm rambling or not making sense.
                      You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
                      Old July 14th, 2012 (11:58 AM). Edited July 14th, 2012 by HaydenSane.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post

You need a scripting tool, such as XSE, which will compile your script to a ROM and give you an offset to then put into A-Map ;D.

XSE can be found in the toolbox, under Hackmew's Tools.
                        I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

Sorry for being an idiot.

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. Thank you!
                        Old July 14th, 2012 (12:05 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
                          A MIDI is a type of music file that you can compose using MIDI editing programs, and most game systems use some sort of MIDI as the music. MP3's cannot be used in hacking at all, you need to search for the MIDI file of whatever music you want to insert, due to the... I want to say simplicity, but that's not the right word. More of the layout of MIDI files allowing for an easier difference of the instruments and voicegroups in the file, whereas MP3 files are more compressed... It's difficult, but basically MIDI files are a different kind of music files that can be composed and created using specific programs on the computer, and can be used in games such as Pokemon.

If you want a really really good hack, it can take years. For one that is reasonably basic, then it takes months. It depends on the hack and the hacker, as well as what you want to include. ASM heavy hacks take ages due to the knowledge needed or the work, whereas small script edits and graphics take a shorter amount of time (depending on the scripts). So it depends.
                          So, if I found a song on YouTube or have a song that I like as an mp3 (I'm not asking to use mp3s in the game) would there be any way to put those songs into the game?

Dang...I've seen people who get together on here and make hacks, how would I go about possibly getting some help? Cause I know that since my hack is FR it wouldn't take as long as a Black and White hack, but I do have a lot of ideas for it and I don't want it to take too long. :/
                          Old July 14th, 2012 (12:06 PM).
                          hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Quote:
                            So, if I found a song on YouTube or have a song that I like as an mp3 (I'm not asking to use mp3s in the game) would there be any way to put those songs into the game?

Dang...I've seen people who get together on here and make hacks, how would I go about possibly getting some help? Cause I know that since my hack is FR it wouldn't take as long as a Black and White hack, but I do have a lot of ideas for it and I don't want it to take too long. :/
                            No, unless you can find a MIDI file of the same song on the internet.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old July 14th, 2012 (12:11 PM).
                            • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by HaydenSane View Post
                            I have XSE. I just didn't know it gave me the offset to put into A-Map. Where do I find that?

Sorry for being an idiot.
                            What you need to do is set your script out like:

Code:
                            #dynamic 0x800000

#org @Start
                            lock
                            etc.
                            etc.
                            etc.
                            Making sure all your @pointers are like that, not specific numbers. Then in the 'file' section of XSE, the bit just above where you type the script, open up your ROM.

If you then hit the compile button, which looks like two gears, it will check the ROM for errors and then give you the offsets. Use the copy button to copy the '@Start' part of your script, or whatever you have called the first pointer, and paste that into the offset box in A-Map.
                            Old July 14th, 2012 (12:12 PM).

Quote:
                              No, unless you can find a MIDI file of the same song on the internet.
                              Is there a link or something where I can find a lot of different MIDI files?
                              Old July 14th, 2012 (12:13 PM).
                              hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Quote:
                                Use Google, there isn't one list of all the MIDIs, it is your best option to find specific MIDI files.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old July 14th, 2012 (12:27 PM). Edited July 14th, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote:
                                  My favorite resource for midi files is here. There are a ton of ripped music from other video games, meaning it's perfect for finding simple midi files, instead of very complex ones (10 tracks IS the minimum, after all)

I should've realised I never added a link...>_<

Old July 14th, 2012 (12:48 PM).

Quote:
                                    My favorite resource for midi files is here. There are a ton of ripped music from other video games, meaning it's perfect for finding simple midi files, instead of very complex ones (10 tracks IS the minimum, after all)
                                    That sucks, cause you know there's all those cool battle remixes on YouTube and I was hoping I could use something like that, not just another song that's exactly like all the other original games.
                                    Old July 14th, 2012 (12:50 PM).
                                    Banjora Marxvile Banjora Marxvile is offline
                                    hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Quote:
                                      That sucks, cause you know there's all those cool battle remixes on YouTube and I was hoping I could use something like that, not just another song that's exactly like all the other original games.
                                      Some remixes are actually created using MIDI files. The site that was linked may contain some (if it was vgmusic, as I am unsure as to the site linked because this laptop sucks)

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old July 14th, 2012 (6:26 PM).

Quote:
                                        Some remixes are actually created using MIDI files. The site that was linked may contain some (if it was vgmusic, as I am unsure as to the site linked because this laptop sucks)
                                        Quote:
                                        I actually did something stupid...I never posted a link. I just edited my previous post to have the link. It was vgmusic, so good call, Banjora

Edit: I was actually going to say that .midi files are fairly easy to remix, since they are set amount of different tracks, you can cut and paste a bunch of different ones together, if you wanted to. I've only dabbled a very small amount in the GBA music, partly because I always play all Pokemon games on mute, so I might not be able to help as much as someone more experienced.

Old July 14th, 2012 (10:35 PM).

Shared map data ;w;
                                          I can't seem to fix it myself, so uh...
                                          It's not the simplest of simple questions, and I don't expect anyone would like to help, but...
                                          I tried changing the Contest Hall maps to maps of hidden hollows. The first one worked fine, then it all went pear-shaped as I was in the process of remapping to be identical, editing movements and events. There's a copy before and after the Fallarbor Town Contest Hall (one room) broke, so if someone could maybe help me out, that'd be great D: Even restoring the Contest Halls would be good...

BEFORE BREAKING: http://www.mediafire.com/?a8n909fbdjn7icq
                                          AFTER BREAKING: http://www.mediafire.com/?a3un517msk7a5ln

Sorry ;w;
                                          Old July 15th, 2012 (3:36 AM).

I just repost and add more question at here... Don't know why... No people answer me, I wonder is my bad english.

1) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

2) I played a hacked rom called "Pokemon Mirage" it Rom base is Ruby I think. At the game started, after the intro, it appeared many full screen sprite to say its story ( In the game, its Arcues and the fakemon at the sprite ), can I make it too? At FR rom also can do it?

3) I use Advance Map 1.92, How to Import or Export map? EX : I want to use Pallet Town and import the map to Vidirian City, how to do it?

4) I seen Fire Red Hacked engine, the trainer customization change the add more trainer back sprite function, it say "if you want to insert images to use with this, you cannot insert them over Un-LZ,"
                                            How to insert trainer back sprite without not using Un-LZ?
                                            Old July 15th, 2012 (8:04 AM).
                                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                                              I just repost and add more question at here... Don't know why... No people answer me, I wonder is my bad english.

1) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

2) I played a hacked rom called "Pokemon Mirage" it Rom base is Ruby I think. At the game started, after the intro, it appeared many full screen sprite to say its story ( In the game, its Arcues and the fakemon at the sprite ), can I make it too? At FR rom also can do it?

3) I use Advance Map 1.92, How to Import or Export map? EX : I want to use Pallet Town and import the map to Vidirian City, how to do it?

4) I seen Fire Red Hacked engine, the trainer customization change the add more trainer back sprite function, it say "if you want to insert images to use with this, you cannot insert them over Un-LZ,"
                                              How to insert trainer back sprite without not using Un-LZ?
                                              1. The option to play a cry is built-in to the command itself. You could edit the commands properties with ASM, but it's much easier to just ignore the cry.

2. This was probably achieved using ASM as well. It's not very difficult if you know ASM. Simply use the decompression swi to decompress the image and tilemap, write the palette to the WRAM, and you're good to go for fullscreen images. If you don't know what I'm saying, don't try it.

3. File > Map > Save map as... will save a map, and File > Open Map will open it.

4. Firered's person backsprites are uncompressed images, which means UNLZ.gba doesn't work, since UNLZ.gba only deals with compressed images. Nameless Sprite Editor will let you import and export uncompressed images into your game.

Old July 15th, 2012 (9:08 AM).
                                              FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
                                              What is out there?

Nature: Adamant
                                                How do I make a sprite disappear or reappear from a different map? Like the the guy in the original FR/LG that blocked Cerulean Cave.
                                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply