ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old July 15th, 2012 (3:09 PM).
ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
    I don't know what I did, but a major bug appeared on my hack:
    My POKéMON cannot evolve anymore. When my POKéMON evolves and writes "X evolved to Y.", it freezes.

Is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: POKéMON FIRERED (BPRE)

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 15th, 2012 (3:16 PM).
    Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
      Hello, I have another question. I wasn't sure where to post this - on the script help thread or this one. But I'm having trouble with this script. Well, not really with the script. The problem is, when the script gets to the "applymovement 5 @m2" command, somehow the player gets turned into the person event... The camera unlatches from the player and locks onto the person event... Then, the script ends and my game freezes. Help please?

Code:
      #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
      lock
      textcolor 0x0
      message @t1 6
      applymovement 0xFF @m1
      waitmovement 0x0
      message @t2 6
      giveitem 0x4 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
      trainerbattle 0x1 0x2E5 0x0 @before @after @further
      end

#org @further
      message @t3 6
      applymovement 5 @m2
      waitmovement 0x0
      hidesprite 0x5
      setflag 0x527
      setvar 0x5024 0x1
      release
      end

#org @m2
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0x12
      #raw 0xFE

#org @t3
      = Thank you for battling me.\nYou may pass.

#org @after
      = Very nice. You may pass.

#org @before
      = But before I let you pass, how\nabout a POKéMON battle?

#org @t2
      = I'm here to give all of the new\ntrainers a starting POKé BALL.\pPOKé BALLS can be used to catch\nPOKéMON in wild battles.\pHere you go!

#org @m1
      #raw 0x1
      #raw 0xFE

#org @t1
      = Excuse me...
      (Wasn't sure where to post this because it's not really a scripting problem I don't think... It's more of a bug or something.)
      Old July 15th, 2012 (3:29 PM). Edited July 15th, 2012 by Darkrai Lv.1000.
      Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Quirky
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
        Hello, I have another question. I wasn't sure where to post this - on the script help thread or this one. But I'm having trouble with this script. Well, not really with the script. The problem is, when the script gets to the "applymovement 5 @m2" command, somehow the player gets turned into the person event... The camera unlatches from the player and locks onto the person event... Then, the script ends and my game freezes. Help please?

Code:
        #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
        lock
        textcolor 0x0
        message @t1 6
        applymovement 0xFF @m1
        waitmovement 0x0
        message @t2 6
        end

#org @further
        message @t3 6
        applymovement 5 @m2
        waitmovement 0x0
        hidesprite 0x5
        setflag 0x527
        setvar 0x5024 0x1
        release
        end

#org @m2
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0x12
        #raw 0xFE

#org @t3

#org @after

#org @before

#org @t2
        = I'm here to give all of the new\ntrainers a starting POKé BALL.\pPOKé BALLS can be used to catch\nPOKéMON in wild battles.\pHere you go!

#org @m1
        #raw 0x1
        #raw 0xFE

#org @t1
        = Excuse me...
        (Wasn't sure where to post this because it's not really a scripting problem I don't think... It's more of a bug or something.)
        What I believe is the problem is either the 5 is supposed to be 0x5 (if that's the guy's People ID), or that trainerbattle command is only supposed to display the one message @t3 after the battle, and nothing but, which is why it freezes if it attempts to do anything else.

I also have an AdvanceMap question:
        Is it possible to rearrange maps to create my own order? Like if I wanted to have Saffron City's map with Pallet Town's house interiors, could I rearrange them so they'd be in the same category?
        Old July 15th, 2012 (3:39 PM). Edited July 15th, 2012 by redriders180.
        Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Quote:

Code:
          #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
          lock
          textcolor 0x0
          message @t1 6
          applymovement 0xFF @m1
          waitmovement 0x0
          message @t2 6
          end

#org @further
          message @t3 6
          applymovement 5 @m2
          waitmovement 0x0
          hidesprite 0x5
          setflag 0x527
          setvar 0x5024 0x1
          release
          end

#org @m2
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0x12
          #raw 0xFE

#org @t3

#org @after

#org @before

#org @t2

#org @m1
          #raw 0x1
          #raw 0xFE

#org @t1
          = Excuse me...
          Is it a green script tile that activates it, or a person event, or a level script? If person event, and the event you talk to is set to "Look down", change it to "No movement". Otherwise, I'm not completely sure. XSE is completely fine with taking numbers that don't begin with 0x...0x simply means its a hex number. Omit it, and XSE will assume it's a decimal number, and do the necessary conversions.

Edit:
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
          How do I make a sprite disappear or reappear from a different map? Like the the guy in the original FR/LG that blocked Cerulean Cave.
          The best way is to assign a unique person ID to the person, and set the flag with that person ID. So, if you gave the person an ID of 0027, using "setflag 0x27" will make him disappear permanently.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old July 15th, 2012 (4:33 PM).
          Time for real life...

Quote:
            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
            Is it a green script tile that activates it, or a person event, or a level script? If person event, and the event you talk to is set to "Look down", change it to "No movement". Otherwise, I'm not completely sure. XSE is completely fine with taking numbers that don't begin with 0x...0x simply means its a hex number. Omit it, and XSE will assume it's a decimal number, and do the necessary conversions.

Edit:

The best way is to assign a unique person ID to the person, and set the flag with that person ID. So, if you gave the person an ID of 0027, using "setflag 0x27" will make him disappear permanently.
            Ah, it worked. Just for the record, it was a script tile. But the person that the player talks to was in a "looking down" state. Changed it to "no movement" and it worked. Thanks!
            Old July 15th, 2012 (5:40 PM). Edited July 15th, 2012 by oobio.

I want to have a "spawn" point in a town so that if you lose to a wild Pokemon or a trainer, you will return there. I am assuming that this may be incorporated in a Flying Position, but I cannot add any of these as events. How can I do this?

Another question, how can I edit Professor Birch's speech in the beginning of the game?
              Old July 15th, 2012 (9:00 PM).
              Time for real life...

Does anyone know what the number in unLZ is for the Team Rocket Grunt? (The boy grunt)
                I was searching for it and I could not find it... Thanks.
                Old July 16th, 2012 (12:08 AM).
                The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
                  Quote:
                  Does anyone know what the number in unLZ is for the Team Rocket Grunt? (The boy grunt)
                  For Fire Red the unLZ # for the male Rocket Grunt is 1608

Old July 16th, 2012 (12:31 AM).
                  Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
                    Quote:
                    You can view them much easier in NSE 2.x...
                    Old July 16th, 2012 (8:44 AM).

Quote:
                      1. The option to play a cry is built-in to the command itself. You could edit the commands properties with ASM, but it's much easier to just ignore the cry.

2. This was probably achieved using ASM as well. It's not very difficult if you know ASM. Simply use the decompression swi to decompress the image and tilemap, write the palette to the WRAM, and you're good to go for fullscreen images. If you don't know what I'm saying, don't try it.

3. File > Map > Save map as... will save a map, and File > Open Map will open it.

4. Firered's person backsprites are uncompressed images, which means UNLZ.gba doesn't work, since UNLZ.gba only deals with compressed images. Nameless Sprite Editor will let you import and export uncompressed images into your game.

1) But I need to use showpokepic to show a person face, like some hacked rom.

2) Have a tutorial there?

3) Thanks!

4) When I using Nameless Sprite Editor just open the sprite I want to insert and go to File > Insert > Image Data and set the free space I where I want to insert, that a method to insert a uncompressed images?

I got some more question.

5) This question is about .s file. .s file original manuscript is Unknown Application, I double click the .s file. After that, It appeared 2 choices " Use the Web service to find the correct program " and "
                      Select a program from a list of installed programs ". I choosed "
                      Select a program from a list of installed programs " and choose Notepad and checked "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".
                      Then, I use Sappy 2006 mod 15 to assembly .s file and click " Cook it "( In another Version that's "Assembly that ugly thing", it appeared a error, "XXXX Can't find file "MPlayDef.s" for inclusion Assembly halted". I placed MPlayDef.s file with the .s file I wanted to insert my rom, but also have this problem, so I think is the " "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" problem. I use Windows 7, how can I change the .s file return to Unknown Application? Or a else way to fix this problem.
                      Old July 16th, 2012 (9:11 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                        1) But I need to use showpokepic to show a person face, like some hacked rom.

2) Have a tutorial there?

3) Thanks!

4) When I using Nameless Sprite Editor just open the sprite I want to insert and go to File > Insert > Image Data and set the free space I where I want to insert, that a method to insert a uncompressed images?

I got some more question.

5) This question is about .s file. .s file original manuscript is Unknown Application, I double click the .s file. After that, It appeared 2 choices " Use the Web service to find the correct program " and "
                        Select a program from a list of installed programs ". I choosed "
                        Select a program from a list of installed programs " and choose Notepad and checked "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".
                        Then, I use Sappy 2006 mod 15 to assembly .s file and click " Cook it "( In another Version that's "Assembly that ugly thing", it appeared a error, "XXXX Can't find file "MPlayDef.s" for inclusion Assembly halted". I placed MPlayDef.s file with the .s file I wanted to insert my rom, but also have this problem, so I think is the " "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" problem. I use Windows 7, how can I change the .s file return to Unknown Application? Or a else way to fix this problem.
                        1) I'd just use it like normal. I doubt anyone will notice or be annoyed by a cry playing when it's used.

2) Feel free to read an ASM tutorial on the Tutorial page...displaying full-sized images are not easy, and you wouldn't understand unless you knew ASM in the first place.

4) Yes, just make sure the "compressed" box isn't checked, if you're using Classic NSE.

5) Many apologies, but this is one question I can't answer. I don't hack music.

Old July 16th, 2012 (9:27 AM).

Nature: Modest
                          for the game text I use advance text
                          Old July 16th, 2012 (12:08 PM).

Hello people i was wondering how i can change the MAP name of a new map (i created 43,0 for this in Fire Red) without changing existing map names such as PALLET TOWN or ROCK TUNNEL.

and how do people change map tiles into completely new tiles do they make them theirself or how does it work

hope someone can help me
                            Old July 16th, 2012 (4:50 PM).

Whenever I create and insert a new map on Advance Map it is called Littleroot town by default. When I try to change the name it ALWAYS renames the real Littleroot town to whatever I named the new map!

How can I get Littleroot Town and my new maps to have separate names?!
                              Old July 16th, 2012 (8:05 PM).

Hello, I am new to rom hacking but I am picking it up pretty fast. I am working on a hack of pokemon red and I am trying to figure out how to edit warps. Specifically what I would love to do is have you enter a house in viridian city but end up inside the pokemon fan club, when you leave the fan club you are taken to the bike shop, and leaving the bike shop will put you back in viridian city. I know I can do the bike another way but I am looking for how you chain warps as mine will be more complicated. I am also interested in learning how to add warp points in towns. I played with pokemap some but it will not let me edit warp tiles inside buildings, nor could I find a way to create new warp points in a town so I would rather just learn how it works in hex so that I can just edit it directly. Any help in finding and explaining the coding used for warps in 1st gen would be greatly appreciated.

Also while I'm at it, is there a way to have battle animations turned off even when turned on in options (or just turned off and remove battle animations from the options screen)? This is more of an aesthetics concern and won't effect game play but I would like to do this while working on the rest of the game before coming back to fix attack animations.
                                Old July 16th, 2012 (8:07 PM).
                                Time for real life...

Hello, I have two questions.

Both are associated with Pokemon Fire Red:

First Question:
                                  I just made a new route in my hack, and I removed all of the person events. Yet, when I go in game and go to the route, there is one person still wandering around. I can't figure out how to get rid of him. He isn't associated with a level script or anything, A-map even says he doesn't exist. (I was editing Route 2 if it matters) Help please?

Second Question:
                                  I was trying to insert a new Rocket Grunt Sprite into unLZ. First off, I exported it from unLZ and edited it in Paint. Then, I went into a program called IrfanView and loaded up my sprite. From there I went to | Image --> Decrease Color Depth --> 16 Colors. I copied the image at that point. Then I edited the palette and switched my background color to the first palette slot. Then, I saved my new indexed sprite.

Next, I went into Paint and opened up my indexed sprite. I pasted the original sprite over my new one to get rid of the pixel mess-ups that IrfanView made. I saved the sprite. Here's where the problem comes in. I went back into Irfanview with that sprite and checked to make sure the color depth was still 16 colors but it automatically changed the color depth back to 256 colors and reset my palette changes... Help please?

Thanks.
                                  Old July 16th, 2012 (10:31 PM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by quincy333 View Post
                                    Hello people i was wondering how i can change the MAP name of a new map (i created 43,0 for this in Fire Red) without changing existing map names such as PALLET TOWN or ROCK TUNNEL.

and how do people change map tiles into completely new tiles do they make them theirself or how does it work

hope someone can help me
                                    Go into the Header tab in A-Map, and click the dropdown next to the spot where you can change the name of a Map. It'll let you select a the map name. You need to refresh A-Map for the changes to become noticeable, with either F5 or closing and reopening.

Quote:
                                    Hello, I have two questions.

Both are associated with Pokemon Fire Red:

First Question:
                                    I just made a new route in my hack, and I removed all of the person events. Yet, when I go in game and go to the route, there is one person still wandering around. I can't figure out how to get rid of him. He isn't associated with a level script or anything, A-map even says he doesn't exist. (I was editing Route 2 if it matters) Help please?

Second Question:
                                    I was trying to insert a new Rocket Grunt Sprite into unLZ. First off, I exported it from unLZ and edited it in Paint. Then, I went into a program called IrfanView and loaded up my sprite. From there I went to | Image --> Decrease Color Depth --> 16 Colors. I copied the image at that point. Then I edited the palette and switched my background color to the first palette slot. Then, I saved my new indexed sprite.

Next, I went into Paint and opened up my indexed sprite. I pasted the original sprite over my new one to get rid of the pixel mess-ups that IrfanView made. I saved the sprite. Here's where the problem comes in. I went back into Irfanview with that sprite and checked to make sure the color depth was still 16 colors but it automatically changed the color depth back to 256 colors and reset my palette changes... Help please?

Thanks.
                                    For the second question, the newer Paint no longer supports indexed files. use Gimp or Photoshop.

Old July 16th, 2012 (10:36 PM).

Hello! I've just started ROM hacking today, and I'd like to start small by simply editing a Pokemon Emerald ROM to better suit my preferences. First on the agenda is to replace all of the protagonist trainer sprites.

Using destinedjagold's Sprite Indexing and Inserting Tutorial thread, I was able to change the basic sprite (the one in the trainer card) of the female protagonist. However, how am I to go about changing all of the sprites? This includes walking, cycling, surfing, in the end credits, etc.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help me out!
                                      Old July 16th, 2012 (11:12 PM). Edited July 16th, 2012 by Renegade.
                                      Time for real life...

Quote:
                                        For the second question, the newer Paint no longer supports indexed files. use Gimp or Photoshop.
                                        Thanks, it works now *Writes a random sentence to fill in the extra space to post a message*
                                        Old July 17th, 2012 (12:23 AM). Edited July 17th, 2012 by Darkrai Lv.1000.
                                        Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
                                        Has a tendency to figure things out

Ok, I just realized I don't like music hacking, as it is very difficult and tedious (especially with Sappy), so I may switch over to Ruby as my rom base due to it having a lot more and better music in my opinion.

My question is: Is it possible to initiate a wild battle similar to the GHOST from FireRed using Ruby(where you can't do anything to it but Run)? If not, can I somehow make a Pokemon absolutely uncatchable/have attacks done to it be completely ineffective?

EDIT: Another question, In Ruby, is it possible to script a "checkpokemon" event (like special2 does for FireRed), where it will check if I have a certain Pokemon, and will do something else based on that?
                                          Old July 17th, 2012 (8:01 AM).

Quote:
                                            Go into the Header tab in A-Map, and click the dropdown next to the spot where you can change the name of a Map. It'll let you select a the map name. You need to refresh A-Map for the changes to become noticeable, with either F5 or closing and reopening.
                                            This is what i said in my message if i do that it changes the current names of all the maps so example i make a new map and name it Shadow Cave maps named ROCK TUNNEL get that name i want to make a completely new name

hope anyone understands it now and might work

PS: Thnx for trying to help you just misunderstood how i ment it but thnx alot:D
                                            Old July 17th, 2012 (8:45 AM).

Quote:
                                              1) I'd just use it like normal. I doubt anyone will notice or be annoyed by a cry playing when it's used.

2) Feel free to read an ASM tutorial on the Tutorial page...displaying full-sized images are not easy, and you wouldn't understand unless you knew ASM in the first place.

4) Yes, just make sure the "compressed" box isn't checked, if you're using Classic NSE.

5) Many apologies, but this is one question I can't answer. I don't hack music.

1) Nevermind, I found a method, it's Jpan hacked engine, it has show uncompressed picture function.

2) That's ok, thanks.

4) It's worked!!! Thanks.

5) ...Nevermind, I will post this question to this thread again.
                                              Old July 17th, 2012 (8:59 AM).
                                              redriders180 redriders180 is offline

Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by quincy333 View Post
                                                This is what i said in my message if i do that it changes the current names of all the maps so example i make a new map and name it Shadow Cave maps named ROCK TUNNEL get that name i want to make a completely new name

hope anyone understands it now and might work

PS: Thnx for trying to help you just misunderstood how i ment it but thnx alot:D
                                                You can only use the pre-existing names. In Firered, you get 109 names to use to your leisure, and you can only assign maps those 109 names. You can assign a map a different name in the way I mentioned earlier, by selecting the dropdown next to the name list.

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
                                                Ok, I just realized I don't like music hacking, as it is very difficult and tedious (especially with Sappy), so I may switch over to Ruby as my rom base due to it having a lot more and better music in my opinion.

My question is: Is it possible to initiate a wild battle similar to the GHOST from FireRed using Ruby(where you can't do anything to it but Run)? If not, can I somehow make a Pokemon absolutely uncatchable/have attacks done to it be completely ineffective?

EDIT: Another question, In Ruby, is it possible to script a "checkpokemon" event (like special2 does for FireRed), where it will check if I have a certain Pokemon, and will do something else based on that?
                                                Ironically enough, both of these are the reasons I've stayed with Firered. Of course, the cheating way is to make a Dark/Ghost Pokemon with Wonderguard and a catch rate of 0, but there won't be Silph Scope functionality, and it won't look as neat. You might want to disassemble the routine called by Special 0x156 and see what happens, and try to port it over.

I just took a look at an in-game trade script, and the important parts are so:

Code:
                                                Setvar 0x8008 0x0
                                                special2 LASTRESULT 0xFC
                                                copyvar 0x8009 LASTRESULT
                                                special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF
                                                copyvar 0x800B LASTRESULT
                                                comparevars LASTRESULT 0x8009
                                                if 0x5 goto @donthave
                                                It seems like special2 LASTRESULT 0xFC will put the species of the Pokemon wanting to be received in a trade into LASTRESULT. special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF seems to convert the slot number you specify into the species number, and stores it in LASTRESULT. The slot number is specified with Special 0x9F, which prompts you to choose a Pokemon. If Ruby is like Firered, Special 0x9F should store the slot chosen into a variable, most likely 0x8004. So, in theory, if you write the slot value to 0x8004, and call special2 LASTRESULT 0xFF, that should store the species number of that slot into LASTRESULT.

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by xSapphire View Post
                                                Hello! I've just started ROM hacking today, and I'd like to start small by simply editing a Pokemon Emerald ROM to better suit my preferences. First on the agenda is to replace all of the protagonist trainer sprites.

Using destinedjagold's Sprite Indexing and Inserting Tutorial thread, I was able to change the basic sprite (the one in the trainer card) of the female protagonist. However, how am I to go about changing all of the sprites? This includes walking, cycling, surfing, in the end credits, etc.

Much appreciated to anyone who can help me out!
                                                OW sprites are uncompressed, so UNLZ.gba won't help you at all. Nameless Sprite Editor (Classic) and Overworld Editor (Rebirth Edition) are both great programs to edit overworld sprites. The credit sprites ARE compressed, so use UNLZ.gba to find them. I don't have a specific number, so just go through them all.

Old July 17th, 2012 (9:08 AM).

Hello.

I'm trying to create a new move, using the Attack Editor with Pokemon Game Editor. I replaced a move that I do not intend to use on any of my Fakemons: Volt Tackle. Everything seems to work as intended, except for two things:

-The description always stays the one for Volt Tackle. Even thought I press Save, just switching moves and going back to it changes the description back.
                                                  -The move animation also stays the Volt Tackle one, despite trying to repoint to the Leaf Blade animation. The Animation Pointer keeps the Leaf Blade value thought...

Any idea what's wrong? Should I download a new program to modify those?

Thanks in advance for the answer.
                                                  Old July 17th, 2012 (10:06 AM).
                                                  Ark_Silvanos Ark_Silvanos is offline

okay... so i was trying to figure out how to extend just the starting dex to hold a couple more pokemon (cuz i figured in my hack 180ish pokemon were enough) so i started searching the forums for a way to do this. Jambo had a thread for pokedex hacking so i figured it was a good place to start.
                                                    Upon reading his post, i realized that that the following was exactly what i needed:
                                                    Quote:
                                                    Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post

Kanto Dex Limiting Bytes:
                                                    Spoiler:
                                                    (Bear in mind that it loops the compare + 1 times, as it also loops on 0)
                                                    0x10352C - mov r1, #0x97
                                                    0x1035F6 - cmp r0, #0x96

Evolutions work without National Dex:
                                                    Spoiler:
                                                    At 0xCE91A change the next 4 bytes to 00 00 14 E0. This makes the previously conditional branch into an unconditional branch, which fixes the evolutions.

So after testing this out, I realized that while level -up evolutions worked, stone-based evolutions didn't (only 2 evolution types i tried)... which implies that there should be another limiter for the kanto dex in the stone - evolution data. Does any1 know where this limiter is?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply