• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokemon FireRed Super-Extra-Nostalgia Edition

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
Hi,

what rom did you use for a base? i've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a firered 151 rom or info on the standard hacks to enable that. could u point me in the right direction?

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2019
Hi,

what rom did you use for a base? i've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a firered 151 rom or info on the standard hacks to enable that. could u point me in the right direction?

The base is just Fire Red.

SacredMurathJohn

ROM Hacking
Years
The maps would be like this, in example:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I love the idea of this hack: making the Pokémon sprites nothing more than direct color improvements from their Red/Blue counterparts! And it looks like you did a great job at making the sprites look both nostalgic and fresh. It makes me hopeful that a direct remastering of the 1st gen games may come to fruition one day.

Really like the new availability of Pokémon, by the way.

Years
I think this hack would work well with RichterSnipes's GB Sound hack, then we have old school revamped sprites, and old school 8-Bit music to help us lighten the mood. However I seen that combining those two things together doesn't result Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Once I left the house in Pallet both of the houses, as well as the terrain were glitched up, the GB Sounds works, but the Sprites did not XD

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I think this hack would work well with RichterSnipes's GB Sound hack, then we have old school revamped sprites, and old school 8-Bit music to help us lighten the mood. However I seen that combining those two things together doesn't result Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Once I left the house in Pallet both of the houses, as well as the terrain were glitched up, the GB Sounds works, but the Sprites did not XD

I have an explanation for that, but first, this:

The original music of this small hack of pokemon red will go nicely with your hack:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285094c :)

The owner said it was okay to stick the lite version in any hack :)
I tested a patched ROM with both my most recent Lite version and captnotatroll's patch stacked together, and they work fine. The problem is that both my "Xtra" patch and captnotatroll's graphics hack have new data located around 0x71A200. His is for sprites, mine is for tweaked events and features. Because of this, the second patch would overwrite the changes of the first patch in that area, and functions from the first patch applied will be lost.

RPD490, I'm assuming you used an older version since you didn't specify which version it was. If you get my newest release it'll have the Lite patch for you.

And as for the overwriting thing? Well, I can't promise you that I'll change the locations of things in my Xtra patch (or whatever it may become) to play nice with this patch. Hackers don't generally consider other existing hacks when placing new things into the game. Having things work out well with multi-patching is usually just a nice coincidence! :)

Years
Well for whatever reason, I patch this to a clean ROM of FR, nothing happens the sprites stay the same as normal. I tried both the normal and Deluxe patches and they don't work for me. What should I do?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
if only the back sprites can somehow be changed to the old ones as well...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
if only the back sprites can somehow be changed to the old ones as well...
It's actually best to just keep them as they are. First off, the back sprites in every 1st generation Pokémon game actually reflect the sprites of the original, Japanese Red and Green releases. The sprites used in this hack are from the international Red and Blue games. Those games didn't update the back sprites (and neither did Yellow, for that matter), leading to multiple sprite inconsistencies.

Second, and most important of all, is the pixel size of the 1st gen back sprites. They all take place within a 56 x 56 usable pixel area. However, every pixel is magnified by 2, causing the effective area to actually be 28 x 28. Not a lot of space for detail, is it? The only way to avoid having hideously blown-up images like these
Spr_b_g1_006.png
Spr_b_g1_094.png
Spr_b_g1_112.png

would be to make higher-res versions of them. This act doesn't even include the colorization process, which would take place later. But what would the 100+ hour effort lead to? Just a bunch of sprites of 1st gen Pokémon that resemble their most grotesque iterations (JP Red/Green). Even more, the back sprites in the 3rd Gen games can have an effective area of 64 x 64 pixels, so some of the 1st Gen back sprites would look smaller than they should be.

Third, the back sprites in the 3rd Gen games are already retro/nostalgic. If you hadn't noticed by now, the first 251 Pokémon are using their exact same back sprites from the 2nd Gen games (which were based off of the front sprites in Gold), only colorized and occasionally extended. This means that the back sprites do not match with any of the front sprites in any of the 3rd Gen games (save for 3rd Gen Pokémon, of course, which have only one primary front sprite to speak of).

Any effort to create "old-school" back sprites would only result in complete and utter chaos. Those involved with such a project would most likely be wasting their time. It's just best to let some things die easily.
File:Spr_b_g1_094.png

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2012
So do Kadabra, Graveler, and Haunter evolve by leveling up or do you find them in the wild?

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
quick question, are shiny sprites working with this hack or are they replaced too?
like, if i use this, can i tell if i run into a shiny pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
quick question, are shiny sprites working with this hack or are they replaced too?
like, if i use this, can i tell if i run into a shiny pokemon?
sorry for the double post, but i need to bump, can anyone answer this?

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2019
Hey guys! Sorry for not responding to this topic very often. This hack was essentially made with no knowledge of how hacking worked, I made all the sprites then used some tools to insert them into the ROM and edit some info.
Originally, I had attempted to make it so the data simply overwrote the existing sprites so it would be compatible, but this ended up causing a ton of problems, because many Pokemon Red sprites are larger than their Firered counterparts.

There has been a lot of inquiry into making this hack compatible with others. Frankly, I think that would be totally awesome. If someone else knows a way to only overwrite existing sprite data and wants to do it, you have FULL PERMISSION from me to do so. Furthermore, I give permission to do whatever you want with this ROM or the sprites used in it. If you want a game where the Pokemon look like this, go for it. If you want to use just one of them, that's fine too. This was made because I thought it would be fun to do, and I think they should go to use as much as possible.

As for the trade evolutions, they evolve by leveling up.

In addition to the reasons RichterSnipes said, the backsprites for this game just aren't as iconic or amusing. Revamping most of them just gave sort of vague monstery blobs, while most of the front sprites were nostalgic, hilarious, and sometimes actually cool.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
It's... it's... it's so beautiful! *cries like a baby*

Seriously though, this is so awesome, especially from someone wearing Nostalgiagoggles as thick as mine XD

Back