Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

TrollandToad.com
View Poll Results: Sub or Dub?
Sub 54 63.53%
Dub 31 36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old July 26th, 2012 (7:07 AM).
Algo Fonix's Avatar
Algo Fonix Algo Fonix is offline
oh god
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Flagstaff, AZ
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 535
    I usually default to subs, but if a dub is available I'll give it a try. I don't really prefer one over the other, I've just made it a habit to go with subs first. Live action stuff, I never watch with dubs (the stuff I watch rarely has one anyway).
    __________________
    If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste.
    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old July 26th, 2012 (8:43 AM).
    Rayshin's Avatar
    Rayshin Rayshin is offline
    Lurking to the max.
       
      Join Date: Jul 2012
      Location: [redacted]
      Age: 18
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 271
      Subtitles all the way. The Japanese voices sound way cooler than the English dubs.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #28    
      Old July 26th, 2012 (10:01 AM).
      Atomic Pirate's Avatar
      Atomic Pirate Atomic Pirate is offline
      I always win.
         
        Join Date: May 2011
        Location: Somewhere.
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Impish
        Posts: 930
        Unlike all the weeaboos who think that dubbed anime is the spawn of Satan, I actually would rather watch dubbed. As long as it's not a 4Kids dub, I'd much rather watch it than a subbed version, as I'd rather watch an anime, not read an anime.
        __________________
        FC: 2148-8142-2372

        PM me if you add me.

        My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
        Reply With Quote
          #29    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (11:18 AM).
        Sheep's Avatar
        Sheep Sheep is online now
        • Administrator
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Oct 2006
        Age: 26
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 22,312
        I prefer subs, though I do still like dubs (anime like Soul Eater and Durarara!! were dubbed excellently). As was said by a few others, dub voice actors are not "talentless" like some Japanese fans assume; a lot of the time those people prefer the original Japanese voices because it sounds nicer being foreign iirc, not because it's actually of better quality. The only dubs I dislike are those that heavily change the original dialogue.
        __________________

        . pair family twin mal llsif .
        Reply With Quote
          #30    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (1:31 PM). Edited July 26th, 2012 by Owl.
        Owl's Avatar
        Owl Owl is offline
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Age: 22
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 13,368
        Sub. All the way, I don't know how people can stand dubbed. It just makes me shudder when I think about it.
        __________________


        Reply With Quote
          #31    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (1:45 PM).
        machomuu's Avatar
        machomuu machomuu is offline
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Apr 2008
        Location: Americalanavania
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 10,309
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Charizard★ View Post
        Sub. All the way, I don't know how people can stand subbed. It just makes me shudder when I think about it.
        Because they don't all sound bad, most don't. I mean, back in the 50s through 80s (and arguably the 90s) they did (not all of them, though, Dragon Ball Z is a notable 80s anime that has a great dub), but most modern dubs are well done, especially the Funimation ones.

        So that's how.
        __________________
        Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


        I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
        Reply With Quote
          #32    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (3:35 PM).
        Owl's Avatar
        Owl Owl is offline
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Age: 22
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 13,368
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
        Because they don't all sound bad, most don't. I mean, back in the 50s through 80s (and arguably the 90s) they did (not all of them, though, Dragon Ball Z is a notable 80s anime that has a great dub), but most modern dubs are well done, especially the Funimation ones.

        So that's how.
        Touche. I'd have to say that the older ones were better. Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon (old ones), Yu-Gi-Oh, Ghost in the Shell and a few others were great, but, nowadays, not so much.

        I know the ones I mentioned aren't all that old, but, they're not like the new ones which aren't very good. But, that's just my opinion.
        Reply With Quote
          #33    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (4:25 PM).
        Squirrel's Avatar
        Squirrel Squirrel is offline
        D-I-N-O-S-A
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Sep 2011
        Location: England
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 9,512
        In general I prefer dubbed because the songs etc are better and you can relate the character to their voice more, however most of the time subbed has much better voice acting so it's a pretty hard choice. :p Really it depends on the show most of the time, but in general I prefer listening to English.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #34    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (4:54 PM).
        Mana's Avatar
        Mana Mana is offline
        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Jan 2009
        Location: UK
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 10,026
        Subbed every time :3 I just feel that a lot of the time some character is lost in dubbed voicing - they just seem a bit less emotional? Not really sure :3.
        Reply With Quote
          #35    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (5:25 PM).
        digi-kun's Avatar
        digi-kun digi-kun is offline
        Hourai NEET
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Feb 2004
        Age: 27
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Modest
        Posts: 4,640
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Charizard★ View Post

        Touche. I'd have to say that the older ones were better. Cowboy Bebop, Pokemon (old ones), Yu-Gi-Oh, Ghost in the Shell and a few others were great, but, nowadays, not so much.

        I know the ones I mentioned aren't all that old, but, they're not like the new ones which aren't very good. But, that's just my opinion.
        As far as old shows went, they were pretty much hit or miss. While a good deal of the big shows had good dubs, a lot of the less known shows had some pretty atrocious ones. A lot of it could also come from watching the dub first, which puts up more familiarity with said dub. Same goes for subs, tbh.

        Don't really watch dubs all that often anymore, but from what I see, most of the dubs these days don't really stand out too much unless they do something out of the ordinary (Haruhi, FMA), can make full use of stereotypical accents (Baccano), or have little to no (young) female roles.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #36    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (5:27 PM). Edited July 27th, 2012 by machomuu.
        machomuu's Avatar
        machomuu machomuu is offline
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Apr 2008
        Location: Americalanavania
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 10,309
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
        In general I prefer dubbed because the songs etc are better and you can relate the character to their voice more, however most of the time subbed has much better voice acting so it's a pretty hard choice. :p Really it depends on the show most of the time, but in general I prefer listening to English.
        Wait...did you seriously just say that you prefer dubbed songs over the originals? Seriously? That's the first time I think I've heard anyone say that...ever. Not that I have anything wrong with this, I'm just very interested in the fact that you say it. Do you have any anime in mind where that's the case? I mean, I can understand songs like Freckles (Ruroni Kenshin's OP), because they sound almost the same in terms of vocals (and the English version is redone, so the intro to the song is cleaner)
        Spoiler:

        (Seriously, it's hard to believe that they're different people)

        Some more examples would be Dragon Ball and Yu Yu Hakusho, both of which actually really care about the songs they're singing, and get quality singers to do the job (often trying to match the voice or tone of the original singer), that way it will still pull in in viewers. This isn't a common practice, mainly because originally English openings were created to make the anime more localized and less Japanese.
        Spoiler:


        As you can see, authenticity was key, and they tried to match the original songs as best they could, most likely because that was the way the original composers meant for them to be sung.

        Then, you have shows like Digimon and One Piece. All of these shows suffered from certain producers wanting them to seem little Japanese as possible, and for this reason they changes their openings entirely, often using lower grade and weakly put together openings, often using scenes from the show (or rearranged pieces of the original opening) and adding sound effects to the song (though, this wasn't uncommon among the original songs), as well as going off of some type of fad as the basis for their song (Rap was often used, mainly since it was used in cartoons, and it worked- in cartoons, that is, not anime).
        Spoiler:



        They're goals, however, weren't to create a good translation or even a good substitute, but rather, to create a catchy opening that people would remember, especially children, even if the song itself wasn't that good.

        Then, there were shows like Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, and Yu-Gi-Oh! which did the same thing, except they took care in what they were doing rather than simply what they were trying to do. While the former shows indeed had openings that were catchy, not nearly as much care and effort were put into their creation than these, and even if the audience didn't care about the quality of the shows, the songs themselves ingrained themselves into the memories of their viewers. It's hard to find someone who watched any of these shows as a child who can't remember how their themes go.
        Spoiler:



        Even still, they couldn't resist showcasing action-packed moments rather than going for the tone of their originals, not that they went to their discredit.

        And yes, I did use your post as an excuse to take a look at dubbed openings. Though I still am interested in the ones you have in mind
        Reply With Quote
          #37    
        Old July 26th, 2012 (5:32 PM).
        Weeaboo Name Weeaboo Name is offline
        Banned
           
          Join Date: Jun 2010
          Location: The Wired
          Age: 26
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Gentle
          Posts: 7,541
          Never understood the massive dub hate, I mean I've heard loads of dry seiyuu performances. Guessing it's just a case of Japan being the coolest place in the world ecsdee.
          Reply With Quote
            #38    
          Old July 26th, 2012 (10:32 PM).
          Sector Sector is offline
          Banned
             
            Join Date: Dec 2011
            Location: Ohio
            Age: 26
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Naughty
            Posts: 2,342
            100% all for Dubbed. I only understand English, so there's your answer. Yes, I know Subbed is Subtitled, but why not read a book instead? I've always been a watcher over a reader, that's my style.
            Reply With Quote
              #39    
            Old July 27th, 2012 (5:48 AM).
            Mentalii's Avatar
            Mentalii Mentalii is offline
            Back
               
              Join Date: Jul 2011
              Location: France
              Age: 22
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Gentle
              Posts: 653
              By far, sub. Dub sounds just awful. Japanese voices are awesome, and hearing the original voices also allow to learn japanese expressions and so on. The english dubbing, and not only the english one, the french one, the german one, the spanish one, they sounds very odd to me. Some are just ridiculous. And dubbed anime are often censured a lot, that point is pretty annoying. I can't watch a dubbed anime, if I don't find it subbed, I prefer not to watch it at all x) Really.
              __________________

              Reply With Quote
                #40    
              Old July 27th, 2012 (7:33 AM).
              machomuu's Avatar
              machomuu machomuu is offline
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Apr 2008
              Location: Americalanavania
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 10,309
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Mentalii View Post
              By far, sub. Dub sounds just awful. Japanese voices are awesome, and hearing the original voices also allow to learn japanese expressions and so on. The english dubbing, and not only the english one, the french one, the german one, the spanish one, they sounds very odd to me. Some are just ridiculous. And dubbed anime are often censured a lot, that point is pretty annoying. I can't watch a dubbed anime, if I don't find it subbed, I prefer not to watch it at all x) Really.
              There are other anime than ones dubbed by 4Kids, y'know.
              Reply With Quote
                #41    
              Old July 27th, 2012 (7:42 AM).
              Mentalii's Avatar
              Mentalii Mentalii is offline
              Back
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2011
                Location: France
                Age: 22
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Gentle
                Posts: 653
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
                There are other anime than ones dubbed by 4Kids, y'know.
                This is why I said "often".
                Reply With Quote
                  #42    
                Old July 27th, 2012 (7:53 AM).
                machomuu's Avatar
                machomuu machomuu is offline
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2008
                Location: Americalanavania
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 10,309
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Mentalii View Post
                This is why I said "often".
                Yes, I know, but the thing is 4Kids rarely touches anything anymore (being that they went bankrupt), so "often" would imply that you've seen quite a few edited versions of anime, that they make up the majority of the dubbed anime you've seen, even though there are far more uncut and unedited anime out there than there are edited ones.
                Reply With Quote
                  #43    
                Old July 29th, 2012 (11:17 AM).
                Mentalii's Avatar
                Mentalii Mentalii is offline
                Back
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2011
                  Location: France
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Gentle
                  Posts: 653
                  Oh, no, I don't have only seen edited dubbed animes Of course I've seen other animes than 4Kids one too. And I'm sorry to say that but for the moment none of the dubbed animes that I've watched sounded good to me. The japanese sounds so perfect in the animes that it's even difficult to compare english voices and japanese voices. Maybe it's not even because of the dubbers but... The japanese sounds so much more natural on manga characters to my mind.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #44    
                  Old July 29th, 2012 (3:51 PM).
                  Bashiyoto's Avatar
                  Bashiyoto Bashiyoto is offline
                  King of Carrot Flowers
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2012
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Modest
                    Posts: 11
                    I tend to prefer subs. Nowadays English voice acting has greatly improved and rarely are dubs "bad" but, since I lack a fine tuned ear to the Japanese language, even the more mediocre voice work won't distract me from the story.
                    I feel that in the case of Cowboy Beebop though the English voice work surpasses the Japanese.
                    In the modern scene it really just comes down to preference.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #45    
                    Old July 30th, 2012 (10:51 PM).
                    Elite Overlord LeSabre™'s Avatar
                    Elite Overlord LeSabre™ Elite Overlord LeSabre™ is offline
                    On that 'Non stop road'
                    • Gold Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2007
                    Location: Shimoda City
                    Age: 92
                    Nature: Quirky
                    Posts: 9,571
                    Most of the dubs I watch (aside from the Saturday morning variety of series) have been pretty good, so I don't have any hate for dubs. However, since the majority of the series I watch are either "niche" titles or never got a release in the US, the dubs aren't even an option.

                    So, I'll watch dubs when I can since it doesn't require reading and they aren't that bad, but I mostly watch subs because they're the only option available for the shows I usually watch.
                    __________________

                    Elite Overlord LeSabre™
                    PC Vital Stats
                    * Pair
                    * PC Family
                    * Bishies
                    * VG Claims
                    * Friend Codes
                    Links
                    * Blog
                    * Web Site
                    * Fan Fictions:
                    * Leaf Green LP
                    Reply With Quote
                      #46    
                    Old July 31st, 2012 (1:34 AM).
                    Arcanine's Avatar
                    Arcanine Arcanine is offline
                    There is no "-tina"
                    • Platinum Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2003
                    Location: In your fridge eating your food o.o
                    Age: 28
                    Nature: Rash
                    Posts: 24,295
                    I prefer subs, mainly because over the years it's what I've gotten used to. Sure it was hard at first, trying to keep up reading what was going on and trying to watch what was on screen. But now days it's second nature, and like I said it's what I prefer. Do I wish I understood Japanese? Sure I do, as a lazy person it'd be even better for me. XD

                    That's not to say I don't mind some dubs. Like a few weeks ago I finished up Samurai Champloo, I could have gotten it subbed but I wanted to watch it dubbed. I have the Baka Test boxset and I've watched an ep or two dubbed (I want to get around to rewatching the series but this time the dub). I also have the FMA:Brotherhood boxsets and when I get around to watching them I'll be watching it dubbed. I'm going to give the Steins;Gate dub a shot, as well as the Evangelion movies. And I haven't watched Inuyasha The Final Act because I wanted to watch it dubbed.

                    I just like subs better because I don't have to wait forever for it to be dubbed (I hate spoilers). I tend to like the voices better. And like I said, it's second nature for me to read subs.
                    __________________

                    TwitterMy Anime ListBackloggeryRaptrBrother
                    My PM box is full so if you really have to PM me send it here.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #47    
                    Old July 31st, 2012 (2:02 AM).
                    Megaman3007's Avatar
                    Megaman3007 Megaman3007 is offline
                    MTF FTW :)
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2012
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 22
                      I like whatever I see first. For me if I see it in dub I prefer the dub and if I see it first in sub then sub. For example I despise the Naruto and Pokemon subbed but despise the Beyblade dub.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #48    
                      Old August 4th, 2012 (1:12 PM).
                      Kotowari's Avatar
                      Kotowari Kotowari is offline
                      Will be back eventually
                      • Crystal Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2005
                      Location: おろ?
                      Age: 27
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 4,457
                      I'm in favour of the subbing and that for several reasons, both easthetical and practical reasons. I'm of the mindset that often the original is better than any edited version available. And from the dubbed clips I've seen,I kind of prefered the Japanese dub. That doesn't take away that sometimes I could kill character's voices, but overal I'm quite content with the anime I watched in Japanese dub.
                      Similar to something mentioned before, I tend to watch the-not-so-uber-popular anime... which don't have a dubbed version. Some of them end up being dubbed years later...

                      A more practical reason is that English isn't my first language. Although my understanding of English is quite good, I still tend to understand more of written than spoken English.
                      __________________

                      "We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
                      Reply With Quote
                        #49    
                      Old August 4th, 2012 (1:45 PM).
                      au bon's Avatar
                      au bon au bon is offline
                      • Developer
                      • Platinum Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2004
                      Location: New Jersey
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quirky
                      Posts: 17,313
                      Dubbed. Don't watch a lot of anime, and don't feel like reading through it. I'll do it if there isn't a dubbed version available, but I'd rather actually watch what's going on and solely focus on that than focus on that as well as reading.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #50    
                      Old August 4th, 2012 (5:45 PM).
                      Cherrim's Avatar
                      Cherrim Cherrim is offline
                      the blossom pokémon
                      • Platinum Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2002
                      Location: Waterloo, ON
                      Age: 28
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 30,829
                      I prefer dubs, but I don't tend to watch them because I rarely watch anime old enough to have them. Usually dubs don't come around until a year or two after the Japanese release and I tend to check out anime because of hype surrounding it as it airs.

                      But I prefer dubs because I don't have to read subtitles at all for them and I don't have to pay much attention to them. I like to watch anime while I'm doing something else (grinding in an RPG, browsing the web, etc.) so having it in my native language is easiest. My Japanese is pretty good and I can usually understand something fairly well without subtitles but I have to pay close attention to everything someone says and I do sometimes have to check the subs to see exactly what's going on. I tend to prefer anime with complicated plots so having it in the background in the original language doesn't work out for me very well.

                      Eventually I'll get to the point where it won't matter what language it's in because I'll understand it just fine either way but until then I'll pick it up in English whenever I can.
                      __________________


                      Reply With Quote
                      Reply

                      Quick Reply

                      Join the conversation!

                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                      Create a PokéCommunity Account

                      Sponsored Links
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:37 PM.