Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

TrollandToad.com
View Poll Results: Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts
Yes 16 21.05%
Yes - But have 2 patches. 1 with, 1 without. 56 73.68%
No 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #251    
Old July 23rd, 2012 (9:40 AM). Edited July 27th, 2012 by Jambo51.
Jambo51's Avatar
Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
Glory To Arstotzka
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quiet
    Posts: 732
    I finally decided how to deal with Basculin in my patch. When any Basculin is generated (both wild and trainer), a random calculation is run, which chooses which form of Basculin you will see.

    I decided to do this because I can't have a "White" or a "Black" Basculin, which only appears on one specific ROM. However, I can provide a way which will only allow one or the other to be generated. The important thing here is that it wouldn't prevent the "other" Basculin from being able to appear in the ROM in question through a link battle or a trade.

    To ensure only one Basculin form appears in your ROM, navigate to 0x7669F8 and change it to:

    087669F8: XX 20
    087669FA: 00 00

    Where the XX is:
    00 - Red Striped Basculin
    01 - Blue Striped Basculin

    ETA: I extended this functionality to set any Burmy found (either in the wild or in a trainerbattle) automatically to the correct cloak. You still can't switch between them at will, but at least if you're in a cave or on a beach, the game will correctly generate a Sandy Cloaked Burmy, or if you're in a house or "No environment" (I'm honestly not sure what that means), it'll generate a Trash Cloaked Burmy.

    I will also add this info to the first post so it doesn't get lost to the mists of time.
    __________________
    Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!

    Relevant Advertising!

      #252    
    Old July 23rd, 2012 (12:31 PM).
    WorldsBoss's Avatar
    WorldsBoss WorldsBoss is offline
       
      Join Date: Mar 2007
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 210
      Sounds like you've got all of these alternate forms to show up correctly even in a gen 3 game (shame on you for not including them from the start GameFreak! :P) but I'm not sure if this has been asked yet: I see that you're using different sprites for Pokemon with gender differences, I think that's a brilliant idea and all, but will there be an extra button in the Pokedex that allows you to view both like in gen 4 and 5 games?
        #253    
      Old July 23rd, 2012 (2:58 PM).
      Jambo51's Avatar
      Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
      Glory To Arstotzka
         
        Join Date: Jun 2009
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quiet
        Posts: 732
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by random-man View Post
        Sounds like you've got all of these alternate forms to show up correctly even in a gen 3 game (shame on you for not including them from the start GameFreak! ) but I'm not sure if this has been asked yet: I see that you're using different sprites for Pokemon with gender differences, I think that's a brilliant idea and all, but will there be an extra button in the Pokedex that allows you to view both like in gen 4 and 5 games?
        Probably not. That would require rewriting the entire Pokédex, not something I am capable of doing. Not yet, at least.

        I do plan, however, for the formes to be treated in the same style as Unown, eventually. In that whichever you have seen/caught is the one which will appear in the Pokédex screen.
        __________________
        Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
          #254    
        Old July 31st, 2012 (7:56 AM).
        shreyanshvalentino shreyanshvalentino is offline
           
          Join Date: Jun 2012
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 86
          okay i'm new to PC..but i love playing Pokemon...
          so i wanted to ask some questions..
          firstly is this patch playable??(its like can i patch a fire red rom with this patch catch 649 pokemons,change forme??)coz i would really love to do that..
          secondly is there any hack that uses this patch?????
          please give me information..
            #255    
          Old July 31st, 2012 (8:08 AM).
          Jambo51's Avatar
          Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
          Glory To Arstotzka
             
            Join Date: Jun 2009
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quiet
            Posts: 732
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by shreyanshvalentino View Post
            okay i'm new to PC..but i love playing Pokemon...
            so i wanted to ask some questions..
            firstly is this patch playable??(its like can i patch a fire red rom with this patch catch 649 pokemons,change forme??)coz i would really love to do that..
            secondly is there any hack that uses this patch?????
            please give me information..
            No to both. It's a Work In Progress still in its Alpha stages.
            __________________
            Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
              #256    
            Old July 31st, 2012 (5:32 PM).
            ManOfSteele's Avatar
            ManOfSteele ManOfSteele is offline
               
              Join Date: Sep 2011
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 16
              Hello, I just want to start off by saying that I'm super excited for a beta version, can't wait for the revolution that this will bring!

              But I digress, my question. In my yearning to create a competitively-based Hack, I had to ask this. Will Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes work with the patch?

              Also, I was super pumped to read about the addition of a Physical/Special split, but how does that work specifically? Were Physical Attackes just switched to the "Makes Contact" aspect of attacks?

              Thanks in advance.
                #257    
              Old July 31st, 2012 (6:43 PM).
              bctincher15's Avatar
              bctincher15 bctincher15 is offline
              blue eye + brown eye =awesome
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2011
                Age: 27
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 261
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ManOfSteele View Post
                Were Physical Attackes just switched to the "Makes Contact" aspect of attacks?
                The "Makes Contact" aspect was already in the early gens, so, by Physical/Special Split, I think he means moves like Bite and Dragon Claw will now effect Attack and Defense, instead of the Special Stats.

                Hope I helped.
                __________________
                The Eeveelution Challenge

                My wife and I share my PSN account.
                  #258    
                Old July 31st, 2012 (6:48 PM).
                PsychoToxin's Avatar
                PsychoToxin PsychoToxin is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2012
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 61
                  Do you plan on working with the creator of A-map to include the new pokes?
                  __________________

                  Logic, so rare it's a goddamn superpower...
                  I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
                    #259    
                  Old July 31st, 2012 (9:22 PM).
                  ManOfSteele's Avatar
                  ManOfSteele ManOfSteele is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2011
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 16
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by bctincher15 View Post
                    The "Makes Contact" aspect was already in the early gens, so, by Physical/Special Split, I think he means moves like Bite and Dragon Claw will now effect Attack and Defense, instead of the Special Stats.

                    Hope I helped.
                    I'm aware it was already in the game; there was no real elaboration on the split, which to me is one of the most appealing aspects of this patch. I've always hated how Pokemon like Gengar, Gyarados and Salamence could never fully utilize their STABs with their best stats. I was simply asking for further clarification.
                      #260    
                    Old August 1st, 2012 (8:31 AM).
                    Jambo51's Avatar
                    Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                    Glory To Arstotzka
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2009
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Quiet
                      Posts: 732
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by PsychoToxin View Post
                      Do you plan on working with the creator of A-map to include the new pokes?
                      I sent him a message some time ago, but he hasn't answered me. I'm not even sure if Lu-Ho is even involved in hacking any more.

                      There is an "unofficial" A-Map 1.92 which supports the new Pokémon, but I don't have it. (Yes, I know, I'm making the patch, but I don't have the A-Map which would help me with it - Ironic, huh?)

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ManOfSteele View Post
                      I'm aware it was already in the game; there was no real elaboration on the split, which to me is one of the most appealing aspects of this patch. I've always hated how Pokemon like Gengar, Gyarados and Salamence could never fully utilize their STABs with their best stats. I was simply asking for further clarification.
                      If I was to say that Gengar + Shadow Ball is an absolute BEAST, would that answer your question?

                      It gets STAB + SCAB. Amazing!
                      STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus
                      SCAB = Same Category Attack Bonus (It's not an official bonus, of course, just applies because Gengar's Sp. Atk is very high, so it gets a huge boost from it)
                      __________________
                      Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                        #261    
                      Old August 1st, 2012 (1:29 PM).
                      ManOfSteele's Avatar
                      ManOfSteele ManOfSteele is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2011
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 16
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                        If I was to say that Gengar + Shadow Ball is an absolute BEAST, would that answer your question?

                        It gets STAB + SCAB. Amazing!
                        STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus
                        SCAB = Same Category Attack Bonus (It's not an official bonus, of course, just applies because Gengar's Sp. Atk is very high, so it gets a huge boost from it)
                        As someone who actively plays competitively, this is awesome.

                        What about my other question; will Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes work?
                          #262    
                        Old August 1st, 2012 (2:49 PM).
                        Jambo51's Avatar
                        Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                        Glory To Arstotzka
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2009
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Quiet
                          Posts: 732
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by ManOfSteele View Post
                          As someone who actively plays competitively, this is awesome.

                          What about my other question; will Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes work?
                          At this moment, they act like the normal Spikes, but I intend to add the proper behaviour in future.
                          __________________
                          Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                            #263    
                          Old August 1st, 2012 (3:55 PM).
                          WorldsBoss's Avatar
                          WorldsBoss WorldsBoss is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Mar 2007
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 210
                            Tbh, I would personally love to see more videos :P even if it's just something like "here are some new sprites I inserted"
                              #264    
                            Old August 2nd, 2012 (7:19 AM).
                            ManOfSteele's Avatar
                            ManOfSteele ManOfSteele is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2011
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 16
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                              At this moment, they act like the normal Spikes, but I intend to add the proper behaviour in future.
                              Excellent. Keep fighting the good fight!
                                #265    
                              Old August 3rd, 2012 (9:49 AM).
                              cooley's Avatar
                              cooley cooley is offline
                              ///Keepin' it simple
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2007
                              Location: United States
                              Age: 23
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Impish
                              Posts: 1,150
                              Have you thought about incorporating this system into a "checkbox" type program?

                              Say, the user does not want all the functions of the patch, but only one. He/She can select which one and press "Patch" or a similar button in this program.

                              The program will automatically find free space, or you can specify the free space manually so that the offsets don't interfere. (A common problem with traditional patching). Used sapce (like the space in your patch) could be the same as a ROM hacker with their own hack, due to repointing large amounts of data such as maps, scripts, and sprites. Especially animations.

                              Do you get what I'm saying? You're doing great things with the FireRed Platform.
                              So what do you think?
                              __________________

                                #266    
                              Old August 4th, 2012 (8:35 AM).
                              Jambo51's Avatar
                              Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                              Glory To Arstotzka
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2009
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Quiet
                                Posts: 732
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by cooley View Post
                                Have you thought about incorporating this system into a "checkbox" type program?

                                Say, the user does not want all the functions of the patch, but only one. He/She can select which one and press "Patch" or a similar button in this program.

                                The program will automatically find free space, or you can specify the free space manually so that the offsets don't interfere. (A common problem with traditional patching). Used sapce (like the space in your patch) could be the same as a ROM hacker with their own hack, due to repointing large amounts of data such as maps, scripts, and sprites. Especially animations.

                                Do you get what I'm saying? You're doing great things with the FireRed Platform.
                                So what do you think?
                                I already answered this question somewhere in the last 11 pages.

                                Simply, no. This will not be happening. You can either have it all or nothing.

                                I lack the expertise to write a programme to install the necessary ASM into the ROM, AND a lot of the hacks are now intertwined. They have small reliances on other pieces of the patch. Plus, quite frankly, I can't be bothered to split the patch up.
                                __________________
                                Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                                  #267    
                                Old August 5th, 2012 (10:13 AM).
                                PsychoToxin's Avatar
                                PsychoToxin PsychoToxin is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2012
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Posts: 61
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                                  I sent him a message some time ago, but he hasn't answered me. I'm not even sure if Lu-Ho is even involved in hacking any more.

                                  There is an "unofficial" A-Map 1.92 which supports the new Pokémon, but I don't have it. (Yes, I know, I'm making the patch, but I don't have the A-Map which would help me with it - Ironic, huh?)
                                  That is pretty ironic. So out of curiosity, how were you planning on tackling this issue? Also about the double wild battles, so you made it a chance type thing? Would we be able to change the double wild battle encounter ratio in each area?
                                  __________________

                                  Logic, so rare it's a goddamn superpower...
                                  I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
                                    #268    
                                  Old August 5th, 2012 (11:24 AM).
                                  Jambo51's Avatar
                                  Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                                  Glory To Arstotzka
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2009
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Quiet
                                    Posts: 732
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by PsychoToxin View Post
                                    That is pretty ironic. So out of curiosity, how were you planning on tackling this issue?
                                    Nothing. It's out of my control. People will simply have to hex edit the wild data if they want to use the new Pokémon.

                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by PsychoToxin View Post
                                    Also about the double wild battles, so you made it a chance type thing? Would we be able to change the double wild battle encounter ratio in each area?
                                    As of right now, no. However, the way the ratio is calculated is that any grass tile has a 5% chance (or so) to generate a double wild battle. It does this by picking a number off a table to compare with, so if you created a secondary grass tile, or added another tile to the list, which is only used in a certain area, it would be possible to control the encounter rate.

                                    I'll explain further how this actually works at a later time.
                                    __________________
                                    Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                                      #269    
                                    Old August 5th, 2012 (12:09 PM).
                                    crowlover crowlover is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Aug 2012
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 15
                                      About the patch, is the darker tinge a day/night thing and, if so, is there a way to change it to a different time zone?

                                      Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this already, but there are some instances where some letters are capitalized and others not. such as "OAK Pokemon RESearch LAB" and a boy in Viridian City who talks about "Pokemon CentreS."

                                      Also, some things are still capitalized in Signposts and the battle screen still has "Type" capitalized.
                                        #270    
                                      Old August 5th, 2012 (3:48 PM).
                                      Jambo51's Avatar
                                      Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                                      Glory To Arstotzka
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2009
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Quiet
                                        Posts: 732
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                        About the patch, is the darker tinge a day/night thing and, if so, is there a way to change it to a different time zone?
                                        It's read directly from your computer's clock, if you've got the RTC on your emulator turned on. If you don't, it's always 00:00 on Monday 0th of January of the year 0000.

                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                        Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this already, but there are some instances where some letters are capitalized and others not. such as "OAK Pokemon RESearch LAB" and a boy in Viridian City who talks about "Pokemon CentreS."

                                        Also, some things are still capitalized in Signposts and the battle screen still has "Type" capitalized.
                                        I haven't decapped everything, and indeed, since this is a ROM BASE, I won't decap everything. What I am decapping is the stuff which carries from hack to hack. So not things like signposts, but things like the TYPE that you mentioned.
                                        __________________
                                        Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                                          #271    
                                        Old August 5th, 2012 (5:15 PM).
                                        WorldsBoss's Avatar
                                        WorldsBoss WorldsBoss is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Mar 2007
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Adamant
                                          Posts: 210
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                                          I haven't decapped everything, and indeed, since this is a ROM BASE, I won't decap everything. What I am decapping is the stuff which carries from hack to hack. So not things like signposts, but things like the TYPE that you mentioned.
                                          That's fair enough, but in your Arceus forms video all the plate items were capitalised yet the Pokemon names weren't. I would've thought that items/Pokemon were one of those things that should have matching capitalisation.
                                            #272    
                                          Old August 5th, 2012 (5:20 PM).
                                          Jambo51's Avatar
                                          Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                                          Glory To Arstotzka
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jun 2009
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Quiet
                                            Posts: 732
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by random-man View Post
                                            That's fair enough, but in your Arceus forms video all the plate items were capitalised yet the Pokemon names weren't. I would've thought that items/Pokemon were one of those things that should have matching capitalisation.
                                            The video's horrendously out of date in that respect. I have since decapped all the items and such. I might have missed some things (like the TYPE thing you pointed out, thanks by the way! ), but the vast majority should be decapped now.
                                            __________________
                                            Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                                              #273    
                                            Old August 5th, 2012 (7:09 PM).
                                            crowlover crowlover is offline
                                               
                                              Join Date: Aug 2012
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Posts: 15
                                              Found some things in the Live Beta that carry over:

                                              “No” is capitalized in “Noctowl,” ” Nosepass,” “Normalize,” “No Guard” and the descriptions for Levitate, Normalize, and No Guard. (Present in the Live Beta, but not in the Alpha 3)

                                              The stat names are still capitalized in the attack and ability descriptions

                                              Some old moves haven’t been updated for Gen V

                                              Teleport, Sandstorm, Return, Frustration, Rapid Spin, Swallow, Spit Up, Magic Coat, Brick Break, Plus, Minus, Honey Gather, Multitype, and Sand Force have words capitalized in their descriptions

                                              Rock Smash is showing Master Ball’s description, and Whirlpool is showing the end of it

                                              “Speed” in Sand Rush is spelled “SPPED.”

                                              Not sure how many of these you’re already aware of, but…
                                                #274    
                                              Old August 5th, 2012 (7:10 PM). Edited August 5th, 2012 by PsychoToxin.
                                              PsychoToxin's Avatar
                                              PsychoToxin PsychoToxin is offline
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Mar 2012
                                                Gender: Male
                                                Posts: 61
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                                                Nothing. It's out of my control. People will simply have to hex edit the wild data if they want to use the new Pokémon.
                                                I assume there is a tutorial on this or you will make one. I am quite ignorant on this issue. I envy your ASM abilities.

                                                I read tutorials on ASM and get lost at the introduction. How did you start off with this? I think I need a tutor for something like this.
                                                __________________

                                                Logic, so rare it's a goddamn superpower...
                                                I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
                                                  #275    
                                                Old August 6th, 2012 (5:55 AM).
                                                Jambo51's Avatar
                                                Jambo51 Jambo51 is offline
                                                Glory To Arstotzka
                                                   
                                                  Join Date: Jun 2009
                                                  Gender: Male
                                                  Nature: Quiet
                                                  Posts: 732
                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                                  Found some things in the Live Beta that carry over:

                                                  “No” is capitalized in “Noctowl,” ” Nosepass,” “Normalize,” “No Guard” and the descriptions for Levitate, Normalize, and No Guard. (Present in the Live Beta, but not in the Alpha 3)
                                                  Related to a bug fix. I will fix these momentarily.

                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                                  The stat names are still capitalized in the attack and ability descriptions
                                                  This is a graphical thing. It is not text (or at least, I don't think it is, correct me if I'm wrong). It would be quite hard to fix if it is graphical, since, quite frankly, I'm not good at graphical aspects.

                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                                  Some old moves haven’t been updated for Gen V
                                                  It'd be helpful if you could list which moves this refers to. Obviously, I have been concentrating on the Gen 4 and 5 moves and getting them to work, so I acknowledge that the Gen 1-3 moves are "wrong".

                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                                  Teleport, Sandstorm, Return, Frustration, Rapid Spin, Swallow, Spit Up, Magic Coat, Brick Break, Plus, Minus, Honey Gather, Multitype, and Sand Force have words capitalized in their descriptions

                                                  Rock Smash is showing Master Ball’s description, and Whirlpool is showing the end of it

                                                  “Speed” in Sand Rush is spelled “SPPED.”

                                                  Not sure how many of these you’re already aware of, but…
                                                  Thanks for these, I will fix them ASAP.
                                                  __________________
                                                  Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
                                                  Closed Thread

                                                  Quick Reply

                                                  Join the conversation!

                                                  Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                                  Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                                  Sponsored Links
                                                  Thread Tools

                                                  Posting Rules
                                                  You may not post new threads
                                                  You may not post replies
                                                  You may not post attachments
                                                  You may not edit your posts

                                                  BB code is On
                                                  Smilies are On
                                                  [IMG] code is On
                                                  HTML code is Off

                                                  Forum Jump


                                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:56 AM.