Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

TrollandToad.com
View Poll Results: Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts
Yes 16 21.05%
Yes - But have 2 patches. 1 with, 1 without. 56 73.68%
No 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2012 (9:40 AM). Edited July 27th, 2012 by Jambo51.
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
    I finally decided how to deal with Basculin in my patch. When any Basculin is generated (both wild and trainer), a random calculation is run, which chooses which form of Basculin you will see.

I decided to do this because I can't have a "White" or a "Black" Basculin, which only appears on one specific ROM. However, I can provide a way which will only allow one or the other to be generated. The important thing here is that it wouldn't prevent the "other" Basculin from being able to appear in the ROM in question through a link battle or a trade.

To ensure only one Basculin form appears in your ROM, navigate to 0x7669F8 and change it to:

087669F8: XX 20
    087669FA: 00 00

Where the XX is:
    00 - Red Striped Basculin
    01 - Blue Striped Basculin

ETA: I extended this functionality to set any Burmy found (either in the wild or in a trainerbattle) automatically to the correct cloak. You still can't switch between them at will, but at least if you're in a cave or on a beach, the game will correctly generate a Sandy Cloaked Burmy, or if you're in a house or "No environment" (I'm honestly not sure what that means), it'll generate a Trash Cloaked Burmy.

I will also add this info to the first post so it doesn't get lost to the mists of time.

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 23rd, 2012 (12:31 PM).

Nature: Adamant
      Sounds like you've got all of these alternate forms to show up correctly even in a gen 3 game (shame on you for not including them from the start GameFreak! :P) but I'm not sure if this has been asked yet: I see that you're using different sprites for Pokemon with gender differences, I think that's a brilliant idea and all, but will there be an extra button in the Pokedex that allows you to view both like in gen 4 and 5 games?
      Old July 23rd, 2012 (2:58 PM).
      Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
        Originally Posted by random-man View Post
        Sounds like you've got all of these alternate forms to show up correctly even in a gen 3 game (shame on you for not including them from the start GameFreak! ) but I'm not sure if this has been asked yet: I see that you're using different sprites for Pokemon with gender differences, I think that's a brilliant idea and all, but will there be an extra button in the Pokedex that allows you to view both like in gen 4 and 5 games?
        Probably not. That would require rewriting the entire Pokédex, not something I am capable of doing. Not yet, at least.

I do plan, however, for the formes to be treated in the same style as Unown, eventually. In that whichever you have seen/caught is the one which will appear in the Pokédex screen.
        Old July 31st, 2012 (7:56 AM).

okay i'm new to PC..but i love playing Pokemon...
          so i wanted to ask some questions..
          firstly is this patch playable??(its like can i patch a fire red rom with this patch catch 649 pokemons,change forme??)coz i would really love to do that..
          secondly is there any hack that uses this patch?????
          please give me information..
          Old July 31st, 2012 (8:08 AM).
          Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
            Originally Posted by shreyanshvalentino View Post
            okay i'm new to PC..but i love playing Pokemon...
            so i wanted to ask some questions..
            firstly is this patch playable??(its like can i patch a fire red rom with this patch catch 649 pokemons,change forme??)coz i would really love to do that..
            secondly is there any hack that uses this patch?????
            please give me information..
            No to both. It's a Work In Progress still in its Alpha stages.
            Old July 31st, 2012 (5:32 PM).

Hello, I just want to start off by saying that I'm super excited for a beta version, can't wait for the revolution that this will bring!

But I digress, my question. In my yearning to create a competitively-based Hack, I had to ask this. Will Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes work with the patch?

Also, I was super pumped to read about the addition of a Physical/Special split, but how does that work specifically? Were Physical Attackes just switched to the "Makes Contact" aspect of attacks?

Thanks in advance.
              Old July 31st, 2012 (6:43 PM).
              blue eye + brown eye =awesome

Nature: Relaxed
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ManOfSteele View Post
                Were Physical Attackes just switched to the "Makes Contact" aspect of attacks?
                The "Makes Contact" aspect was already in the early gens, so, by Physical/Special Split, I think he means moves like Bite and Dragon Claw will now effect Attack and Defense, instead of the Special Stats.

Hope I helped.

My wife and I share my PSN account.
                Old July 31st, 2012 (6:48 PM).

Do you plan on working with the creator of A-map to include the new pokes?

Logic, so rare it's a goddamn superpower...
                  I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
                  Old July 31st, 2012 (9:22 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by bctincher15 View Post
                    The "Makes Contact" aspect was already in the early gens, so, by Physical/Special Split, I think he means moves like Bite and Dragon Claw will now effect Attack and Defense, instead of the Special Stats.

Hope I helped.
                    I'm aware it was already in the game; there was no real elaboration on the split, which to me is one of the most appealing aspects of this patch. I've always hated how Pokemon like Gengar, Gyarados and Salamence could never fully utilize their STABs with their best stats. I was simply asking for further clarification.
                    Old August 1st, 2012 (8:31 AM).
                    Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by PsychoToxin View Post
                      Do you plan on working with the creator of A-map to include the new pokes?
                      I sent him a message some time ago, but he hasn't answered me. I'm not even sure if Lu-Ho is even involved in hacking any more.

There is an "unofficial" A-Map 1.92 which supports the new Pokémon, but I don't have it. (Yes, I know, I'm making the patch, but I don't have the A-Map which would help me with it - Ironic, huh?)

Quote:
                      I'm aware it was already in the game; there was no real elaboration on the split, which to me is one of the most appealing aspects of this patch. I've always hated how Pokemon like Gengar, Gyarados and Salamence could never fully utilize their STABs with their best stats. I was simply asking for further clarification.
                      If I was to say that Gengar + Shadow Ball is an absolute BEAST, would that answer your question?

It gets STAB + SCAB. Amazing!
                      STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus
                      SCAB = Same Category Attack Bonus (It's not an official bonus, of course, just applies because Gengar's Sp. Atk is very high, so it gets a huge boost from it)
                      Old August 1st, 2012 (1:29 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                        If I was to say that Gengar + Shadow Ball is an absolute BEAST, would that answer your question?

It gets STAB + SCAB. Amazing!
                        STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus
                        SCAB = Same Category Attack Bonus (It's not an official bonus, of course, just applies because Gengar's Sp. Atk is very high, so it gets a huge boost from it)
                        As someone who actively plays competitively, this is awesome.

What about my other question; will Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes work?
                        Old August 1st, 2012 (2:49 PM).
                        Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                          As someone who actively plays competitively, this is awesome.

What about my other question; will Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes work?
                          At this moment, they act like the normal Spikes, but I intend to add the proper behaviour in future.
                          Old August 1st, 2012 (3:55 PM).

Tbh, I would personally love to see more videos :P even if it's just something like "here are some new sprites I inserted"
                            Old August 2nd, 2012 (7:19 AM).

Quote:
                              At this moment, they act like the normal Spikes, but I intend to add the proper behaviour in future.
                              Excellent. Keep fighting the good fight!
                              Old August 3rd, 2012 (9:49 AM).
                              ///Keepin' it simple
                              • Silver Tier

Nature: Impish
                              Have you thought about incorporating this system into a "checkbox" type program?

Say, the user does not want all the functions of the patch, but only one. He/She can select which one and press "Patch" or a similar button in this program.

The program will automatically find free space, or you can specify the free space manually so that the offsets don't interfere. (A common problem with traditional patching). Used sapce (like the space in your patch) could be the same as a ROM hacker with their own hack, due to repointing large amounts of data such as maps, scripts, and sprites. Especially animations.

Do you get what I'm saying? You're doing great things with the FireRed Platform.
                              So what do you think?

Old August 4th, 2012 (8:35 AM).
                              Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by cooley View Post
                                Have you thought about incorporating this system into a "checkbox" type program?

Say, the user does not want all the functions of the patch, but only one. He/She can select which one and press "Patch" or a similar button in this program.

The program will automatically find free space, or you can specify the free space manually so that the offsets don't interfere. (A common problem with traditional patching). Used sapce (like the space in your patch) could be the same as a ROM hacker with their own hack, due to repointing large amounts of data such as maps, scripts, and sprites. Especially animations.

Do you get what I'm saying? You're doing great things with the FireRed Platform.
                                So what do you think?
                                I already answered this question somewhere in the last 11 pages.

Simply, no. This will not be happening. You can either have it all or nothing.

I lack the expertise to write a programme to install the necessary ASM into the ROM, AND a lot of the hacks are now intertwined. They have small reliances on other pieces of the patch. Plus, quite frankly, I can't be bothered to split the patch up.
                                Old August 5th, 2012 (10:13 AM).

Quote:
                                  I sent him a message some time ago, but he hasn't answered me. I'm not even sure if Lu-Ho is even involved in hacking any more.

There is an "unofficial" A-Map 1.92 which supports the new Pokémon, but I don't have it. (Yes, I know, I'm making the patch, but I don't have the A-Map which would help me with it - Ironic, huh?)
                                  That is pretty ironic. So out of curiosity, how were you planning on tackling this issue? Also about the double wild battles, so you made it a chance type thing? Would we be able to change the double wild battle encounter ratio in each area?

I also started messing with soundfonts... Check the rest of my channel for more.
                                  Old August 5th, 2012 (11:24 AM).
                                  Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                    That is pretty ironic. So out of curiosity, how were you planning on tackling this issue?
                                    Nothing. It's out of my control. People will simply have to hex edit the wild data if they want to use the new Pokémon.

Quote:
                                    Also about the double wild battles, so you made it a chance type thing? Would we be able to change the double wild battle encounter ratio in each area?
                                    As of right now, no. However, the way the ratio is calculated is that any grass tile has a 5% chance (or so) to generate a double wild battle. It does this by picking a number off a table to compare with, so if you created a secondary grass tile, or added another tile to the list, which is only used in a certain area, it would be possible to control the encounter rate.

I'll explain further how this actually works at a later time.
                                    Old August 5th, 2012 (12:09 PM).

About the patch, is the darker tinge a day/night thing and, if so, is there a way to change it to a different time zone?

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this already, but there are some instances where some letters are capitalized and others not. such as "OAK Pokemon RESearch LAB" and a boy in Viridian City who talks about "Pokemon CentreS."

Also, some things are still capitalized in Signposts and the battle screen still has "Type" capitalized.
                                      Old August 5th, 2012 (3:48 PM).
                                      Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by crowlover View Post
                                        About the patch, is the darker tinge a day/night thing and, if so, is there a way to change it to a different time zone?
                                        It's read directly from your computer's clock, if you've got the RTC on your emulator turned on. If you don't, it's always 00:00 on Monday 0th of January of the year 0000.

Quote:
                                        Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this already, but there are some instances where some letters are capitalized and others not. such as "OAK Pokemon RESearch LAB" and a boy in Viridian City who talks about "Pokemon CentreS."

Also, some things are still capitalized in Signposts and the battle screen still has "Type" capitalized.
                                        I haven't decapped everything, and indeed, since this is a ROM BASE, I won't decap everything. What I am decapping is the stuff which carries from hack to hack. So not things like signposts, but things like the TYPE that you mentioned.
                                        Old August 5th, 2012 (5:15 PM).

Quote:
                                          I haven't decapped everything, and indeed, since this is a ROM BASE, I won't decap everything. What I am decapping is the stuff which carries from hack to hack. So not things like signposts, but things like the TYPE that you mentioned.
                                          That's fair enough, but in your Arceus forms video all the plate items were capitalised yet the Pokemon names weren't. I would've thought that items/Pokemon were one of those things that should have matching capitalisation.
                                          Old August 5th, 2012 (5:20 PM).
                                          Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by random-man View Post
                                            That's fair enough, but in your Arceus forms video all the plate items were capitalised yet the Pokemon names weren't. I would've thought that items/Pokemon were one of those things that should have matching capitalisation.
                                            The video's horrendously out of date in that respect. I have since decapped all the items and such. I might have missed some things (like the TYPE thing you pointed out, thanks by the way! ), but the vast majority should be decapped now.
                                            Old August 5th, 2012 (7:09 PM).

Found some things in the Live Beta that carry over:

“No” is capitalized in “Noctowl,” ” Nosepass,” “Normalize,” “No Guard” and the descriptions for Levitate, Normalize, and No Guard. (Present in the Live Beta, but not in the Alpha 3)

The stat names are still capitalized in the attack and ability descriptions

Some old moves haven’t been updated for Gen V

Teleport, Sandstorm, Return, Frustration, Rapid Spin, Swallow, Spit Up, Magic Coat, Brick Break, Plus, Minus, Honey Gather, Multitype, and Sand Force have words capitalized in their descriptions

Rock Smash is showing Master Ball’s description, and Whirlpool is showing the end of it

“Speed” in Sand Rush is spelled “SPPED.”

Not sure how many of these you’re already aware of, but…
                                              Old August 5th, 2012 (7:10 PM). Edited August 5th, 2012 by PsychoToxin.
                                              PsychoToxin PsychoToxin is offline

Quote:
                                                Nothing. It's out of my control. People will simply have to hex edit the wild data if they want to use the new Pokémon.
                                                I assume there is a tutorial on this or you will make one. I am quite ignorant on this issue. I envy your ASM abilities.

I read tutorials on ASM and get lost at the introduction. How did you start off with this? I think I need a tutor for something like this.

Old August 6th, 2012 (5:55 AM).
                                                Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                                  Found some things in the Live Beta that carry over:

“No” is capitalized in “Noctowl,” ” Nosepass,” “Normalize,” “No Guard” and the descriptions for Levitate, Normalize, and No Guard. (Present in the Live Beta, but not in the Alpha 3)
                                                  Related to a bug fix. I will fix these momentarily.

Quote:
                                                  The stat names are still capitalized in the attack and ability descriptions
                                                  This is a graphical thing. It is not text (or at least, I don't think it is, correct me if I'm wrong). It would be quite hard to fix if it is graphical, since, quite frankly, I'm not good at graphical aspects.

Quote:
                                                  Some old moves haven’t been updated for Gen V
                                                  It'd be helpful if you could list which moves this refers to. Obviously, I have been concentrating on the Gen 4 and 5 moves and getting them to work, so I acknowledge that the Gen 1-3 moves are "wrong".

Quote:
                                                  Teleport, Sandstorm, Return, Frustration, Rapid Spin, Swallow, Spit Up, Magic Coat, Brick Break, Plus, Minus, Honey Gather, Multitype, and Sand Force have words capitalized in their descriptions

Rock Smash is showing Master Ball’s description, and Whirlpool is showing the end of it

“Speed” in Sand Rush is spelled “SPPED.”

Not sure how many of these you’re already aware of, but…
                                                  Thanks for these, I will fix them ASAP.

Quick Reply