• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Rewatching the anime?

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2012
Hey guys, this is something that has been on my mind recently and I thought it might make a good discussion-

Have you ever rewatched an older season of the anime? Recently I have been rewatching a few of the movies (M06-09) and it has gotten me pretty nostalgic for the Hoenn era. The whole gang (Ash, Brock, May, Max) seemed like a family: the sibling rivalry between May/Max was the cutest, and all four characters seemed to be more closeknit that the other generations. But obviously, rewatching a whole generation of Pokemon is a more daunting task than most other shows when it's 150+ episodes!

So, has anyone else been in this situation? Did you rewatch the whole thing, or find that the episodes were more difficult (more childish?) to watch then when you originally saw them? Discuss.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Glad you are getting back to previous seasons, since it is always good to revisit what has already happened and brings back amusement and memories.

As for myself was in the process of watching every episode from the beginning(aside from ones I cannot see), and I just stopped for some reason I stopped at "Clefairy Tails" and never got back into it. So if I get enough down time I intend to either restart it again or begin were I left off from then watch the movies as they appear. Pokemon as a whole is child like as it caters a lot to young children, so it seems innately like the episodes would be geared toward kids regardless of the time they aired. Which I really don't have too much of a problem with since I still find the episodes enjoyable, not to kiddy or adult oriented at any point from the first episode of pokemon to Best Wishes.

Years
Yeah I've rewatched a couple episodes in the past when I felt nostalgic, and while they weren't as good as I remembered, they were still pretty good. A lot of it was the voices, actually, as Ash's tends to change, and I forgot how high May's voice was (also Brock's was different). I didn't rewatch an entire season, just choice episode that I missed.

They seemed somewhat more childish (though not overly so) so I definitely didn't enjoy them as much as I originally did. That being said, they still were really fun to watch. :D

Years
I've been rewatching from the beginning, one episode a day now for a while. I am not missing a single episode including "Beauty and the Beach", "Dratini" (Japanese with English subs), "Porygon" (Japanese with English subs - no seizures for me). Currently I am in Master Quest approaching "The Ice Cave" which I will be watching in Japanese with English subtitles.

I've been taking them from DVD and putting them on my file server as high-quality mkv files. So if I am going to go through all that effort, I might as well watch them too!

I also made soft subs for the three Japanese episodes. And I had to recreate a high quality "Beauty and the Beach" which matched up to the original English dub that was broadcast here as the "lost" episode. I made the subs by combining the best from other subs and rewording certain things. I also removed any profanity, and corrected names to match up to the English dub. Those episodes are much more enjoyable to watch now.

I haven't yet made soft subs for the next episode "Ash and May Biggest Battles" (or something like that). I cannot find any subtitles for that episode at all.

Anyways, it's a fun project. Very time consuming, but fun.

Darryl

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
I am currently in the process of re watching all of my Pokemon dvds from start to finish, I am about half way through at the moment, I just watched the episode call A Shroomish Skirmish and i got to say I am enjoying it. Yes, there are some episodes that i have seen 100+ times which can get annoying, but on the flip side there are some episodes that i have only seen 50+ times which i am enjoying.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
A few months ago I went back at started at Season 1, episode 1. :3 The Kanto/Johto seasons are where I think I missed a few episodes. So to make sure I went back and watched them all. I do get nostalgic when I watch the Johto series, especially during the openings and listening to the music. Idk why but I love it so much.

Years
I rewatch the older episodes every once in a while, they were really great and, like Kenshin said, bring back a lot of memories. >: Hoenn's definitely my favorite to rewatch though - May and Max interested me the most when it came to sidekick characters.

Plus it's nice to see how far the show's gotten since its launch. There are a tooon of Kanto/Johto episodes I want to rewatch because it's been so long since I last saw them, so perhaps now's a good time to try. I'm really interested in doing that but a little lazy since there's so many to watch. XD;

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I rewatched the first 10 season in American order 2 times. (So I watched it 3 times together xD)
It really gives you that nostalgia feeling... :D
But now, I don't feel like rewatching the old seasons... I could probably rewatch BW, though :D
And I agree, Hoenn group was the best one with Isshu close being second. :)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I tried rewatching the whole show on Japanese, but kinda got stuck at the eight episode and lost interest, so I switched to Best Wishes. I'll probably get back to it one day. I don't really have any nostalgia for it, even though I watched it as a kid. But I kinda wanna see the gym fights and I don't want to just watch those episode (even though the first season didn't really have good gym fights).

Blues-Music

Pokemon researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I always rewatch the first season.
I like to pretend the series ended there.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I rewatch the older season when I can on Boomarang. I am hopeing when they finish the Frontier Saga they will start from the start again. I missed all of Hoenn because they went through the whole Hoenn Saga in a few months with 2 episodes coming on a day. But ya,I do rewatch old sagas when they are on.

Hoenn and Battle Frontier are my 2 favorite seasons. So I will re watch them over and over.

Crux

Evermore
Years
That moment when you get to episode "Bye Bye Butterfree" and despite the fact that you've seen it countless times it still gets to ya. :<

And yes the first Theme Song,so many memories for me as well. :(

Years
I rewatch the anime a lot, especially the older episodes cos I like to catch up on what I missed or I just want to see it again.

And the original theme song is always remembered in my head.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I was challenged a by a friend a couple years back to rewatch the entire first season in one week. It failed. But besides that, I've re-watched the anime before, mainly to relive the nostalgia the show had. I've watched old episodes here to there and I have some of them on VHS and have re-watched them many times.

Years
I've just started watching them, at season 1 now. Very nostalgic yes, but what I do find very amusing is all the animals. Fish, birds, even a mongoose. I'm just highly curious about that. But it is so nice to see Brock and Misty again :) I love Brock !

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I'm watching the entire series in RAW Japanese. I'm not sure if it's really 'rewatching', since one, it's in Japanese, and two, before I had only caught a few reruns every now and then (and it was mostly gens 3 and 4), but whatever. And I'm only on episode 9 right now.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2014
I just finished season one along with the first movie about 2 weeks ago and while I enjoyed it, it took for freakin' ever! There's like 86 episodes or something like that in season one, but now I'm starting the orange islands series and thank god that's only like 30 or so episodes.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Yes, after rewatching some AG I definitely agree that, aside from nostalgia, it can be difficult to watch since it was catered to a pretty young audience. I just started watching Best Wishes and I find it to be a little more mature with Team Rocket and just more traditional anime features (Oshawott's facial expressions, etc). Still fun though, and the movies definitely haven't lost their charm. Plus, I forgot just how awesome the season 7 opening was.

Cirno said:
May and Max interested me the most when it came to sidekick characters.

Definitely! As much as BW has evolved, I really miss the chemistry between Max and May compared to Cilan/Bianca/Iris. The latter three really just seem to individually respond to Ash/focal points of the episode, whereas May and Max really had their own conversations and storylines.

Back