Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 21st, 2012 (4:44 PM). Edited February 24th, 2013 by wolf.
wolf's Avatar
wolf wolf is offline
  • Moderator
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Crystal Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,885
Competitive Team Questions
In this thread you may ask questions about competitive team building and make moveset requests. While incomplete teams may be posted here too, it is preferred that you finish your team using our Guides & Resources and post a "Rate My Team" thread.

— Do not ask questions concerning in-game or casual team building.
Please use the In-Game Team Questions for that. If you do not know which thread to post in, check out the CTH Guidelines, because they explain the difference between competitive and in-game or casual play. If your question could be related to either, you will likely get better answers by asking here instead.

— Do not ask questions that are not specifically related to team building.
Do not ask questions about the game mechanics like "How does this move work?" and "What are EVs?," as they would best fit in the B2W2 Quick Questions thread. Do not ask questions about battling (prediction, long-term strategy, etc.) either; you may make threads in BC's main forum for those type of questions.

— Do not post an entire team.
Please make a new thread instead. See the CTH Guidelines as they go more into depth about what makes a team complete or not.

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old August 27th, 2012 (12:14 PM).
AngelArsenic AngelArsenic is offline
     
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Location: South East Coast, USA
    Gender: Female
    Posts: 47
    Here's the deal. After 2 days of straight breeding I finally got a Feebas with a Modest Nature. I have already evolved her into Milotic.
    I am going to be EV training my Milotic In Special Attack and Speed with the remaining EV's going to HP. What would be a good move set for my Milotic as a Special Sweeper?
    __________________
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature
      #3    
    Old August 27th, 2012 (1:02 PM).
    Arcoz's Avatar
    Arcoz Arcoz is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2012
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 33
      Well, my Milotic was my besst Pokemon in Ruby.. I went with the usual sort of water type thing with Surf and Ice beam. Surf with it being a good move and STAB with a good Sp.Atk. and Ice Beam for power and good Sp.Atk. Those are the sort of obvious ones. Now, you can go for a Hypnosis - Recover moveset where you put the opponents Pokemon to sleep and recover you're health and damage them at the same time with no damage to you. Or you can use Toxic to steadily lower their health while yours gets higher. (Ice Beam and Surf are tm and hm and recover is by lvl up and i got my hypnosis from breeding with a Poliwag). Or you might want to try having just a hard special hitting moveset. Surf, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump and Rain Dance. Surf is STAB and is above average with rain dance it is amazing, ice beam just a good attack, Hydro Pump with rain dance is a brilliant special move to have on anything but obvious stuff like grass types.

      So you can either have

      -Surf
      -Ice Beam
      -Hypnosis/Toxic
      -Recover

      or

      -Surf
      -Ice Beam
      -Hydro Pump
      -Rain Dance

      ... Done
        #4    
      Old August 27th, 2012 (4:27 PM).
      AngelArsenic AngelArsenic is offline
         
        Join Date: Aug 2012
        Location: South East Coast, USA
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 47
        Thanks. My problem with Hydro pump it's not what anyone would call really accurate. Is there another way to get Hypnosis because it took forever to get this nature and I don't really want to go through another breeding frenzy again. Also I am doing this on Sapphire if that changes anything. One other question. What other move sets would work. Been thinking about possibly Calm Mind.
        __________________
        75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature
          #5    
        Old September 2nd, 2012 (11:26 PM).
        WingedDragon's Avatar
        WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
        Competitive Trainer
           
          Join Date: May 2012
          Location: Milwaukee, WI
          Age: 29
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Serious
          Posts: 1,256
          I want to have a couple of dragons on my team but I cant seem to get it right. I know Water and Fire/Fight doesnt work. What elements do people suggest to go with?

          I know this must be a quick question thing but I didnt see anything to the sort.

          Eventually I want to battle in tourneys but I cant even battle thru the battle subway. I know it would be a joke and a waste of time if I tried with the team I have. and yes I am thinking of starting from Scratch again.
            #6    
          Old September 3rd, 2012 (9:42 PM).
          PlatinumDude's Avatar
          PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
          Nyeh?
          • Gold Tier
           
          Join Date: Aug 2010
          Location: Canada
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Hasty
          Posts: 12,847
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
          I want to have a couple of dragons on my team but I cant seem to get it right. I know Water and Fire/Fight doesnt work. What elements do people suggest to go with?

          I know this must be a quick question thing but I didnt see anything to the sort.

          Eventually I want to battle in tourneys but I cant even battle thru the battle subway. I know it would be a joke and a waste of time if I tried with the team I have. and yes I am thinking of starting from Scratch again.
          Steel Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Scizor, partner up well with Dragon Pokemon; they resist the Dragon and Ice weaknesses the Dragons are weak to (except for Skarmory and Ferrothorn; in that case, they take neutral from Ice).
          __________________

            #7    
          Old September 3rd, 2012 (11:50 PM).
          WingedDragon's Avatar
          WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
          Competitive Trainer
             
            Join Date: May 2012
            Location: Milwaukee, WI
            Age: 29
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Serious
            Posts: 1,256
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
            Steel Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Scizor, partner up well with Dragon Pokemon; they resist the Dragon and Ice weaknesses the Dragons are weak to (except for Skarmory and Ferrothorn; in that case, they take neutral from Ice).
            I was considering Ferrothorn with the barbs in combo with Rocky helm and some Spikes
              #8    
            Old September 4th, 2012 (12:29 AM).
            Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
            Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
            Memento Mori
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Jul 2008
            Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 14,477
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
            I was considering Ferrothorn with the barbs in combo with Rocky helm and some Spikes
            You can also go for Foretress if you want this kind of strategy
            Foretress is pretty nice wall.
            __________________
            ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

            Anime List | PSN Trophy List
              #9    
            Old September 4th, 2012 (12:33 AM).
            WingedDragon's Avatar
            WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
            Competitive Trainer
               
              Join Date: May 2012
              Location: Milwaukee, WI
              Age: 29
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Serious
              Posts: 1,256
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
              You can also go for Foretress if you want this kind of strategy
              Foretress is pretty nice wall.

              Not sure if I have one of course I gotta breed and stuff. Id have to seek. Im sure GTS has one some where
                #10    
              Old September 4th, 2012 (11:37 AM). Edited September 4th, 2012 by Fairy.
              Fairy's Avatar
              Fairy Fairy is offline
              リオレイア
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: May 2011
              Location: in the flowers
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 5,693
              @AdrianD : If you're looking for a competitive Forretress set, you can try this:

              Forretress @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
              Relaxed Nature [+Defense ; -Speed]
              252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Sp.Defense
              0 Speed IVs
              Sturdy
              - Spikes
              - Toxic Spikes
              - Rapid Spin
              - Gyro Ball / Volt Switch / Earthquake

              Or there's a Specially Defensive spread. All the specs are the same, except you'll want a Sassy Nature [+Sp.Defense; -Speed] and 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp.Defense.

              As PlatinumDude said, Pokemon like Magnezone and Scizor are also good partners, so let us know if you need any information! Good luck and join lots of our tournaments when you're ready! n_n
              __________________
              "Cherry Blossom Fire Wyvern"
              Threat Level (危険度):
              Hunter: Doux | MHGen HR 7★ Hub
              0018-4771-7651

                #11    
              Old September 4th, 2012 (11:57 AM).
              WingedDragon's Avatar
              WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
              Competitive Trainer
                 
                Join Date: May 2012
                Location: Milwaukee, WI
                Age: 29
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Serious
                Posts: 1,256
                Then with that a Fire would go great with that as well. Straight fire type or combo type
                  #12    
                Old September 4th, 2012 (12:08 PM).
                Bossk749's Avatar
                Bossk749 Bossk749 is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2009
                  Location: Massachusetts
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 44
                  I have a quick question. I can't change anything but the item, but on this Infernape:

                  Infernape @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
                  Ability: Blaze
                  EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
                  Nature: Naive
                  -Overheat
                  -Close Combat
                  -Stealth Rock
                  -U-Turn

                  I can't change anything about this Infernape, but he's my lead on my fighting mono-type team and was curious what you guys would think the best item would be for the set? On one hand, the Focus Sash works if I get out-sped and can't get up Stealth Rock, but on the other hand I can usually force a switch, set up Stealth Rock, and then use the extra damage from Life Orb to take down a couple of Pokemon.
                  __________________
                    #13    
                  Old September 4th, 2012 (3:21 PM).
                  PlatinumDude's Avatar
                  PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
                  Nyeh?
                  • Gold Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2010
                  Location: Canada
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Hasty
                  Posts: 12,847
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Bossk749 View Post
                  I have a quick question. I can't change anything but the item, but on this Infernape:

                  Infernape @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
                  Ability: Blaze
                  EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
                  Nature: Naive
                  -Overheat
                  -Close Combat
                  -Stealth Rock
                  -U-Turn

                  I can't change anything about this Infernape, but he's my lead on my fighting mono-type team and was curious what you guys would think the best item would be for the set? On one hand, the Focus Sash works if I get out-sped and can't get up Stealth Rock, but on the other hand I can usually force a switch, set up Stealth Rock, and then use the extra damage from Life Orb to take down a couple of Pokemon.
                  FYI, leads are pretty much dead in the Gen V metagame because of Team Preview, so I wouldn't use Infernape as a SR setter, given its poor defenses; it's more of a wallbreaker/sweeper. But then again, if your team really needs it, Focus Sash is the best item to use just so you get Stealth Rock in without sacrificing Infernape needlessly.
                  __________________

                    #14    
                  Old September 4th, 2012 (4:14 PM).
                  Fairy's Avatar
                  Fairy Fairy is offline
                  リオレイア
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: May 2011
                  Location: in the flowers
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 5,693
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
                  Then with that a Fire would go great with that as well. Straight fire type or combo type
                  If you're looking for a teammate for Forretress, you're going to want something that can counter Forretress' weaknesses (like fire) so ideally, a water type can do that effectively. It just so happens that Jellicent makes a good teammate for Forretress.

                  Jellicent @ Leftovers
                  Bold Nature [+Defense ; -Attack]
                  248 HP / 216 Defense / 44 Speed
                  Water Absorb / Cursed Body
                  - Scald / Surf
                  - Recover
                  - Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
                  - Taunt

                  Since Forretress' main job is to lay entry hazards, Jellicent's spin-blocking and Special bulk has excellent synergy. Jellicent also deals with Heatran (one of Forretress' strongest counters) by forcing it out. Tyranitar also makes a good teammate for Forretress, able to absorb incoming special attacks, but that kinda dedicates you to a Sand team soo..


                  @Bossk749 : I second PlatinumDude, if you're going to sack SR on Infernape, go with Stone Edge or Mach Punch. Stone Edge will provide better coverage, hitting pokemon like Gyarados -- or Mach Punch can let Infernape deal with pokemon that outpace it like Choice Scarf Tyranitar.
                  __________________
                  "Cherry Blossom Fire Wyvern"
                  Threat Level (危険度):
                  Hunter: Doux | MHGen HR 7★ Hub
                  0018-4771-7651

                    #15    
                  Old September 5th, 2012 (1:14 AM).
                  Fire Flyy's Avatar
                  Fire Flyy Fire Flyy is offline
                  metaphysical poet
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2012
                    Location: below the heavens
                    Age: 21
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Sassy
                    Posts: 187
                    go with my boy heatran, he absorbs the fire attacks that kill forretress, plus you have a sun counter, dragon counter, rapid spinner, and both damaging hazards in two pokemon
                    __________________
                      #16    
                    Old September 5th, 2012 (1:10 PM).
                    WingedDragon's Avatar
                    WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
                    Competitive Trainer
                       
                      Join Date: May 2012
                      Location: Milwaukee, WI
                      Age: 29
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Serious
                      Posts: 1,256
                      Isnt heatran banned from play
                        #17    
                      Old September 5th, 2012 (2:09 PM).
                      vaporeon7's Avatar
                      vaporeon7 vaporeon7 is offline
                      My life would suck without you
                      • Crystal Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2010
                      Location: Preparing for trouble and making it double.
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Adamant
                      Posts: 5,154
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
                      Isnt heatran banned from play
                      Heatran is OU, unless I'm mistaken and can be used in OU and Uber.
                      __________________
                        #18    
                      Old September 5th, 2012 (2:11 PM).
                      Bossk749's Avatar
                      Bossk749 Bossk749 is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2009
                        Location: Massachusetts
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 44
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                        FYI, leads are pretty much dead in the Gen V metagame because of Team Preview, so I wouldn't use Infernape as a SR setter, given its poor defenses; it's more of a wallbreaker/sweeper. But then again, if your team really needs it, Focus Sash is the best item to use just so you get Stealth Rock in without sacrificing Infernape needlessly.
                        Well all of my battles are Infared, I hate the online battles, and whenever I do we usually make an agreement not to look at eachother's team- it just takes out the fun, honestly; in regards to the focus sash, thanks, I'll use that.
                        __________________
                          #19    
                        Old September 5th, 2012 (2:59 PM). Edited September 5th, 2012 by WingedDragon.
                        WingedDragon's Avatar
                        WingedDragon WingedDragon is offline
                        Competitive Trainer
                           
                          Join Date: May 2012
                          Location: Milwaukee, WI
                          Age: 29
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Serious
                          Posts: 1,256
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Fire Flyy View Post
                          go with my boy heatran, he absorbs the fire attacks that kill forretress, plus you have a sun counter, dragon counter, rapid spinner, and both damaging hazards in two pokemon
                          kicker is I traded it away.

                          Is Venipede a good selection?
                            #20    
                          Old September 5th, 2012 (6:05 PM).
                          Forever's Avatar
                          Forever Forever is offline
                          SACRED FIRE
                          • Moderator
                          • Crystal Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2005
                          Location: Queensland
                          Age: 25
                          Gender: Female
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 35,300
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
                          kicker is I traded it away.

                          Is Venipede a good selection?
                          Not really, no. You're playing in an OU environment and using the first evo of a Pokemon that isn't even OU doesn't really work out that well. :( Poison types don't really see much of a use in OU tbh, except for Venusaur and stuff, and even so, they aren't used for their poison type attacks, which Venipede would be if it was in that place.
                          __________________

                          Celebrating Gold and Silver's Upcoming Virtual Console Release!
                          moderator of the following games
                          [ ]
                            #21    
                          Old September 5th, 2012 (7:03 PM).
                          Medlis's Avatar
                          Medlis Medlis is offline
                             
                            Join Date: May 2010
                            Location: Toronto - Canada
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Timid
                            Posts: 24
                            Hi there, I'm fairly new to the competitve battle scene. Actually, I'm a complete noob... I've never battled anyone outside of a friend back when Red and Blue were first released.

                            I'd like to build my first team around Darmanitan and Eelektross - my two favorite pokemon from Gen V.

                            The team so far;
                            Smeargle - ? - (Focus Sash) - Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Spore and Stealth Rock (possibly spikes or Taunt)
                            Darmanitan - Adamant (Life Orb) - Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, U-Turn and Superpower.

                            I don't know what other pokemon I should be trying to include, or what role Eelektross should play.
                            I sort-of understand the tier list, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to be, or where I should start learning.
                              #22    
                            Old September 5th, 2012 (7:15 PM).
                            Forever's Avatar
                            Forever Forever is offline
                            SACRED FIRE
                            • Moderator
                            • Crystal Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2005
                            Location: Queensland
                            Age: 25
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Bold
                            Posts: 35,300
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Medlis View Post
                            Hi there, I'm fairly new to the competitve battle scene. Actually, I'm a complete noob... I've never battled anyone outside of a friend back when Red and Blue were first released.

                            I'd like to build my first team around Darmanitan and Eelektross - my two favorite pokemon from Gen V.

                            The team so far;
                            Smeargle - ? - (Focus Sash) - Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Spore and Stealth Rock (possibly spikes or Taunt)
                            Darmanitan - Adamant (Life Orb) - Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, U-Turn and Superpower.

                            I don't know what other pokemon I should be trying to include, or what role Eelektross should play.
                            I sort-of understand the tier list, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to be, or where I should start learning.
                            Well generally to get into tiers most of the time you should use Pokemon actually in the same tier because a lot of the time they just aren't suited to be used in that tier. While you can usually get away with a tier lower, it's better off to stick to the Pokemon in the same tier for the most part when you're new. The two Pokemon you like, Eelektross, and Darmanitan, are in separate tiers, and it's probably better off for you to start off with one tier or another rather than just combine them because teams with favourites across different tiers usually don't do as well as ones that have synergy in general from the same tiers. But with Darmanitan you'd be playing in a UU environment and the others may not be as viable in that tier. So yeah, personal suggestion is to start off with just one tier and go from there. Due to your interest in those two, you want to start off with a lower tier, yeah? Both (Eelektross - NU, Darmanitan - UU) can be good for learning, though NU is a bit more different to OU than UU is. I haven't personally played UU but I've heard it's similar to OU in the last generation, and if you want to learn something similar to the main tier most people play, then UU is probably closest to what you want, because some of those Pokemon are used in OU anyway. As for NU, I find it really awesome and fun and while I want to just say "go for that!" I think you're better off deciding for yourself. So... which of the two would you rather use? XD;
                            __________________

                            Celebrating Gold and Silver's Upcoming Virtual Console Release!
                            moderator of the following games
                            [ ]
                              #23    
                            Old September 5th, 2012 (7:35 PM). Edited September 5th, 2012 by Medlis.
                            Medlis's Avatar
                            Medlis Medlis is offline
                               
                              Join Date: May 2010
                              Location: Toronto - Canada
                              Gender: Female
                              Nature: Timid
                              Posts: 24
                              From what I've heard, NU does seem more fun. But I think I'd like to try UU out, test the waters I guess.

                              I took a look over at the Smogon tier list, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) and some of the pokemon I'm intrested in on their B/W tier list for UU are;
                              Blastiose, Stoutland, Zoroark, Mismagius, Slowbro, Sableye, Nidoking and Houndoom.
                                #24    
                              Old September 5th, 2012 (8:16 PM).
                              PlatinumDude's Avatar
                              PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
                              Nyeh?
                              • Gold Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Aug 2010
                              Location: Canada
                              Age: 23
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Hasty
                              Posts: 12,847
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Medlis View Post
                              From what I've heard, NU does seem more fun. But I think I'd like to try UU out, test the waters I guess.

                              I took a look over at the Smogon tier list, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) and some of the pokemon I'm intrested in on their B/W tier list for UU are;
                              Blastiose, Stoutland, Zoroark, Mismagius, Slowbro, Sableye, Nidoking and Houndoom.
                              People in Smogon make the tiers based on their usage in OU. Some UU Pokemon are viable in OU, however, like Zoroark and Slowbro; other Pokemon, like Blastoise, aren't the case.

                              Just try to put sets together for those Pokemon and we'll see what else we can do.
                              __________________

                                #25    
                              Old September 5th, 2012 (9:08 PM).
                              Medlis's Avatar
                              Medlis Medlis is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2010
                                Location: Toronto - Canada
                                Gender: Female
                                Nature: Timid
                                Posts: 24
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                                People in Smogon make the tiers based on their usage in OU. Some UU Pokemon are viable in OU, however, like Zoroark and Slowbro; other Pokemon, like Blastoise, aren't the case.

                                Just try to put sets together for those Pokemon and we'll see what else we can do.
                                Darmanitan - Adamant - Life Orb - Flare Blitz, Rockslide, U-turn, Superpower
                                Smeargle - Jolly - Focus Sash - Spore, Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Stealth Rock
                                Roserade - Calm - Black Sludge - Giga Drain, Synthesis, Spikes, Sludge Bomb
                                Flygon - Jolly - Choice Band - U-turn, Outrage, Dragon Tail, Earthquake (maybe Fire punch instead of U-turn or Dragon Tail)
                                Zoroark - Timid - Leftovers - Substitute, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower

                                Is what I've managed to put together so far. I decided I wanted to take advantage of the entry hazard Smeargle was bringing to the table though that might be a bit of a gamble as he is meant to Dragon Dance and Baton pass to Darmanitan. So I included Roserade so I can add upon Stealth rock if it gets set up and Flygon for his access to Dragon Tail.

                                I wasn't sure what pokemon to include for Zoroark's Illusion, or if I should switch Zoroark out with another pokemon.
                                 
                                Quick Reply

                                Sponsored Links
                                Thread Tools

                                Posting Rules
                                You may not post new threads
                                You may not post replies
                                You may not post attachments
                                You may not edit your posts

                                BB code is On
                                Smilies are On
                                [IMG] code is On
                                HTML code is Off

                                Forum Jump


                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:45 AM.