The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Help
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old September 7th, 2012 (1:56 AM). Edited September 7th, 2012 by KhaosKnight.
The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liam16 View Post
    Hey, does anyone know how i can edit the professor in the beginning of Pokemon Emerald when he is introducing the game and asking who you are.
    Use A-Text, there are 9 strings that make up his entire intro speech. They are located at the following, in order:
    0x2C89FB
    0x5E8692
    0x2C8A1F
    0x2c8bD0
    0x2C8BDD
    0x2C8BFF
    0x2C8C1C
    0x2CEC2A
    0x2C8C7A

Quote:
    Originally Posted by passarbye View Post
    I'm having a small issue with the intro sprite for Prof. Oak (intro speech sprite).
    i've found the sprite (342 and 256 color mode in unLZ) but i can't find the right palette for it.
    is there anything special i need to do in order to find the correct palette, or am i just doing something wrong?

here's a pic of what it looks like with the default palette for it.

TL;DR is there any way to get the right palette for this?
    (btw, i've already tried using the Next Pal and Previous Pal buttons, and all the palettes that load don't look like they are for oak.)
    I don't think the palette that Oak uses in the intro is unLZ compressed, at least Birch in Ruby/Emerald isn't, so I don't think it will be found in unLZ. You can use VBA's palette viewer and APE's search feature to pinpoint the offset where his palette is. Since the image is 256 colors it can be a bit tricky to find, which is why the offset hasn't been posted around here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by surfer treecko View Post
    Is there a quick and easy way to make items in the overworld? The way I've been doing it is using setflag after you pick up the item, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the game does... (and it sometimes causes things to disappear before I've even picked them up)
    The games simply uses the "giveitem" command followed by "end". Place that script in the Pokeball OW sprite on your map and it should work.

Old September 7th, 2012 (5:38 AM).

Hey, i have some weird trouble with XSE, when i turn on XSE this morning, it after one second turn off. this is first time, when XSE did taht. I using XSE 1.11 I saw that, when i turn on it, it turn off and delate file command.dat (if that file is with XSE in the same catalog). Any resets did any results. Has anyone any idea?
      If wrong thread, sorry, and please move it to correct thread.
      Old September 7th, 2012 (11:10 AM). Edited September 7th, 2012 by passarbye.
      Just passin' thru

[also posted this in the request thread]
        can someone link me to a working download (or the thread) of JPAN's clean Fire Red patch?
        (the one that removes all scripts and stuff)

i can't seem to find it anywhere. :\
        (already did much searching along with going through most of JPAN's posts)
        Old September 7th, 2012 (11:50 AM).

Bumping this, because it never got a response when I posted it a couple of pages ago, and also because the subsequent thread I made was never approved and posted by a moderator (for reasons still unbeknownst to me).

Quote:
          TLDR: I need help modifying the properties of specific moves in HG/SS. Could someone walk me through it, please?

Full: Ok, so I understand that there really isn't a specific attack editor for HG/SS, yet. At least, the one in PPRE isn't finished. Anyway, I heard that it's possible to take a rom of Diamond/Pearl and use Attack Editor DS to modify specific moves in those games, extract the waza.tbl.narc file, and then replace the corresponding a/0/1/1 file in HG/SS with the waza.tbl.narc one. Two issues with this.

First, I've tried using Attack Editor DS with a clean Diamond rom, but nothing ever saves. I even attempted to modify one attack at a time, saving and closing out of the program before moving onto the next attack. No dice.

Second, I've very, very little experience with hex editing programs like Crystal Tile 2. More like clueless, actually. Upon opening the rom file in CT2, I'm never quite sure when to extract/input certain files, or even search for specific things within directories. Like, I've seen posts were people will say to search for pointer/offset (as an example) 0x123456a, but I can't for the life of me find any sort of thing in that format. All the offsets I see are in a 012345678 (no "x") format.

So, hypothetically speaking, say I wanted to modify the attack "Pound" from base 40 power to base 50 in my Soul Silver rom. Could someone walk me through the process of doing that, with the assumption that I have the mental capacity of a 10 year-old?
          Old September 7th, 2012 (6:26 PM).
          Banned

Nature: Sassy
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
            You probably can't find it because it's just plain text :P. It's stored at 0x42C5B5, I believe.
            I was trying to find a way to edit the word "HOENN" that appears when looking at a regular map. redriders180 stated that the text was stored at 0x42C5B5, but my question is, how do I edit that stored text?
            Old September 7th, 2012 (6:48 PM).
            The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by The_Show View Post
              I was trying to find a way to edit the word "HOENN" that appears when looking at a regular map. redriders180 stated that the text was stored at 0x42C5B5, but my question is, how do I edit that stored text?
              You can probably go to that offset in A-Text and edit it there. Or, you can use a Ruby char table to convert your text to hex, although A-Text does that for you.

Old September 8th, 2012 (12:21 AM).
              help, how do I...?

Quote:
                The games simply uses the "giveitem" command followed by "end". Place that script in the Pokeball OW sprite on your map and it should work.
                This causes the Pokeball to reappear as soon as I take a step. Is there a specific Trainer ID I'm supposed to use?
                Old September 8th, 2012 (5:45 AM).
                Spriter

Nature: Brave
                  I am making a leaf green hack and i need to find the intro sprites in unlz gba (oak, red, blue, gary) (NOT the battle sprites, the intro sprites) Does anyone know where to find them?

Scan this with an Android^^[/sig-reason]
                  Old September 8th, 2012 (7:39 AM).

I used my PKSV to fight a celebi. But whenever I catch celebi it doesn't disappear, but when i run away or beat it, it says mewtwo flown away and it disappears.
                    #dyn 0x740000
                    #org @start
                    special 0x187
                    compare LASTRESULT 2
                    if == jump 0x81A7AE0
                    special 0x188
                    lock
                    faceplayer
                    checksound
                    cry CELEBI 2
                    waitcry
                    pause 0x14
                    playsound 0x156 0x0
                    battle CELEBI 0x52 BLACKFLUTE
                    setflag 0x807
                    special 0x138
                    waitspecial
                    removcesprite 0x800F
                    clearflag 0x807
                    special2 0x800D 0xB4
                    compare LASTRESULT 1
                    if == jump 0x8162558
                    compare LASTRESULT 4
                    if == jump 0x8162561
                    compare LASTRESULT 5
                    if == jump 0x8162561
                    setflag 0x211
                    fadescreen 0
                    release
                    end
                    Old September 8th, 2012 (11:58 AM). Edited September 8th, 2012 by The_Show.
                    Banned

Nature: Sassy
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by surfer treecko View Post
                      This causes the Pokeball to reappear as soon as I take a step. Is there a specific Trainer ID I'm supposed to use?
                      here is an example script that you could base it off of (in XSE format):

Spoiler:
                      #dynamic 0x8000000

#org @start
                      lock
                      giveitem 0x0 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
                      hidesprite 0x?
                      setflag 0x1204
                      release
                      end

make sure the poke ball ID matches the setflag number, this makes the sprite disappear from the map forever (unless you use a clear flag)

And thanks to KhaosKnight and redriders180 for helping with my map problem, it works!
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I know this question has come up in the past, just not in this thread....

In ruby, would you need to use ASM to determine which battle music comes up when facing a certain trainer? I am trying to give a certain trainer a certain battle music, but I can't figure it out...
                      Old September 8th, 2012 (2:07 PM). Edited September 9th, 2012 by MrSandman64.
                      Pokemon Moon Creator

I was wondering if it is possible to expand the space of tileset 1 in the right box of Advancemap?
                        What I'm trying to do is instead of having to find all of the Pokemon center and mart tiles in the mess of tileset 1 I want to just add mine to the bottom of the tileset like most people do with the empty space available in tileset 2. I hope that this question isn't to confusing.
                        Old September 9th, 2012 (8:39 AM).
                        hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by MrSandman64 View Post
                          I was wondering if it is possible to expand the space of tileset 1 in the right box of Advancemap?
                          What I'm trying to do is instead of having to find all of the Pokemon center and mart tiles in the mess of tileset 1 I want to just add mine to the bottom of the tileset like most people do with the empty space available in tileset 2. I hope that this question isn't to confusing.
                          At the moment, it is impossible to resize that tileset. I suppose with ASM and repointing, it COULD be possible, but I think it is a limitation by the hardware as a whole, though not 100% sure.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old September 9th, 2012 (10:26 AM).
                          Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                            I'm having a bit of trouble with palettes. Using JPAN's hacked engine, I inserted one new palette. I recently edited palettes 3-A (aka the eight reserved palettes after the hero's and the reflection one) to my liking. However, I did not put the OW with that custom palette on the map yet. I know about the hardware limitations for one custom palette per screen, and in this case, I used none in this map. But when I go to palette viewer on the vba, I see that my custom palette has somehow overwritten palette three, even though it wasn't even used in the map.

On a side note, after doing these palette changes, for some reason on certain maps using my custom ows, they dissaper when walking on certain tiles, as if they somehow got set to "00" rather than "tile covered by hero". Idk if it's a direct cause of this or something different, but if anyone could help with that as well, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
                            Old September 9th, 2012 (10:38 AM).
                            Revered with the stars

Nature: Lonely
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by shbshb View Post
                              I used my PKSV to fight a celebi. But whenever I catch celebi it doesn't disappear, but when i run away or beat it, it says mewtwo flown away and it disappears.
                              You're complicating it too much. All you need is this part:

#dyn 0x740000
                              #org @start
                              lock
                              faceplayer
                              checksound
                              cry CELEBI 2
                              waitcry
                              pause 0x14
                              playsound 0x156 0x0
                              battle CELEBI 0x52 BLACKFLUTE
                              fadescreen 0x1
                              disappear 0xINSERT CELEBI'S PERSON EVENT #
                              fadescreen 0x0
                              setflag 0x807
                              release
                              end

Make sure that you set celebi's person ID to 807. The person event number can be found on A-MAP incase you didn't know.
                              Old September 9th, 2012 (12:17 PM).
                              Back to ROM hacking. :D

Okay, I solved my own problem with the dissapearing OWs, I messed up the hex in the OW table...simple mistake lol.

As for the palette ordeal, I'm still stuck.
                                The custom palette, if I'm not mistaken, should take one of the last, if not the last, placeholder in the palette viewer, instead of taking over an existing palette. How come when I added this one, it took over one of the reserved palettes? I don't have any other custom palettes on the map...and even when that OW is not on the map, the custom palette is still there overwriting a reserved one.
                                Old September 9th, 2012 (12:54 PM). Edited September 9th, 2012 by RetroRoller.
                                Trailer Trash

Nature: Modest
                                  I have two big errors, help would be appreciated D: because I'm completely bamboozled.

First of all, the battle screen error which is horrendous to look at.

Second, the trainer theme error, I assembled and imported the .s files in Sappy, and looped it, and it plays fine in Sappy, but it gives me a HORRIBLE noise above the track. I tried a backup ROM and repointed, and stuff, I even checked the .S file and there's nothing wrong with it! (be warned, it's loud and an atrocity to listen to):
                                  http://www.filexoom.com/showfile-31429/error.wav

ED: So um, the original link 404s D: so here's a re upload.
                                  http://plunder.com/AJ26PXMJ75

I map for the Source SDK and dabble in ROM Hacking hmu.
                                  Old September 9th, 2012 (2:47 PM).

Occasionally, when I insert a new map into my ROM (right now I'm using Ruby, I've used Emerald and Fire Red before), I make the map too big or something, and it ends up overwriting and corrupting another map, or it screws with the number of blocks in the second tileset. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Maybe using a ROM base with all the scripts and maps removed, so there's no danger of overwriting stuff? If so, where could I find a base like that?
                                    Old September 9th, 2012 (3:59 PM).
                                    Hazama

Is there a place where i can write about my own idea of a hack and get peoples opinion on it? i know there is the showcase forum but i dont have any progress yet and i just wanted to start writing and sharing my ideas and what i think its about and stuff. i hope there is such a section since i dont have made any big steps in making the hack, just putting together ideas, story ideas and world ideas.

greetz.
                                      Old September 9th, 2012 (11:45 PM).
                                      Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
                                        anybody know a link to hackmew's tileset animation editor?

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
                                        Old September 10th, 2012 (12:28 AM).

I was wondering how do you edit the number of items in a shop since i want to add some to some towns ect.
                                          Old September 10th, 2012 (1:08 AM).
                                          Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                                          Memento Mori

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
                                          I was wondering how do you edit the number of items in a shop since i want to add some to some towns ect.
                                          All you need is to edit mart script.
                                          There will be something like pokemart command and lots of #raw 0xsomething.
                                          Just add #raw 0xhex number of item and that item will be available in the Mart.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                          Old September 10th, 2012 (2:30 AM).

that sound easy but i have no clue on what to do when it comes to Hex edit since i get very lost when i see all those numbers
                                            Old September 10th, 2012 (8:09 AM).
                                            Trailer Trash

Nature: Modest
                                              Quote:
                                              that sound easy but i have no clue on what to do when it comes to Hex edit since i get very lost when i see all those numbers
                                              If you want to hack, you're going to have to familiarize yourself with hex. It's what the game is built on.

Quote:
                                              anybody know a link to hackmew's tileset animation editor?
                                              I'm not sure if Hackmew made a tileset animation editor... Lu-Ho did make one, if thats' who you mean.

It's bad for the community to link to other forums :P but it's here. (Lu-Ho's)
                                              http://forums.petalburgwoods.com/thread/4683-tileset-animation-editor/

NOTE: Does anyone have an answer to my question? :P

I map for the Source SDK and dabble in ROM Hacking hmu.
                                              Old September 10th, 2012 (10:38 AM).
                                              Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                                              Memento Mori

Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
                                              Quote:
                                              I believe XSE comes with items.rbh file which can be opened with XSE and you will see hex numbers of items there.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                              Old September 10th, 2012 (2:31 PM).
                                              MrSandman64 MrSandman64 is offline
                                              Pokemon Moon Creator

Does anybody know the APE offsets for the male and female icons on the town map(the little head that shows your position on the map?
                                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply