• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
But I dunno. I've started to enjoy old movies more now that I've seen a lot of them. Not sure if this is familiarity breeding liking or if I'm opening up more, but where I used to have a "Can we watch something else?" response I'm now more likely to feel "Sure, give it a try."
tumblr_ljyq6sjhni1qae6ufo1_500.gif

"One of us! One of us! We accept her, one of us! Gooble gobble gooble gobble!"

But yeah, it does take a while to get your head around the differences between old and modern films, but once you're in your element, there's often no beating them! When I'm recommending older films to people, I normally start with stuff from the 70s, and then gradually get them into black-and-white ones, and then full-on silent films! Jumping straight into Sunrise, for example, after spending your entire cinematic life watching modern films probably means you won't get as much out of it than a gentle slow-burn immersion into older cinema.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Who was your favourite character?
Gintama is an anime I have to watch ^^ I've heard many good things about it. Well, samourai stuff and all is not really the kind of things I like but... I'll give it a try.

Years
tumblr_ljyq6sjhni1qae6ufo1_500.gif

"One of us! One of us! We accept her, one of us! Gooble gobble gooble gobble!"

But yeah, it does take a while to get your head around the differences between old and modern films, but once you're in your element, there's often no beating them! When I'm recommending older films to people, I normally start with stuff from the 70s, and then gradually get them into black-and-white ones, and then full-on silent films! Jumping straight into Sunrise, for example, after spending your entire cinematic life watching modern films probably means you won't get as much out of it than a gentle slow-burn immersion into older cinema.
I wouldn't say there's no beating them. I'm personally still firmly entrenched in modern movies because of the styles of cinematography and the variety of stories that are open to modern filmmakers thanks to new technologies and social attitudes and so forth. Hope that don't disappoint. ;]

Not that I'd defend a lot of the crap that's been made in recent decades. I would agree with you (if you had made this statement that I'm just going to assume you've made somewhere) that there were fewer bad movies on the whole back in the day than there are now.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
It was probably Literature Girl although all of them were good.

Gintama really is worth the watch, it's pretty much king of the shounen comedy genre.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Well that would be because there were fewer films in general. With the sheer amount of films we make today, it's much harder for there not to be some duds in the mix.

Years
Well that would be because there were fewer films in general. With the sheer amount of films we make today, it's much harder for there not to be some duds in the mix.

Some duds? Hm, I'd have to say at least half are duds, whether they're bad scary movies, bad rom-com movies, bad children's movies, bad drama movies etc. I'd have to say there are a lot more duds than gems, from the previews I see on tv.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
I think it will always be harder for films nowadays to really stand out compared to classics. If you think about it, nearly every story has been told at least 10 times, no unique scenarios really exist anymore that haven't already been done, and even the most unique story is really similar to another (ruining the unique part...)

Shining Raichu

Years
(I feel like I'm posting here too much haha)

I'm not really sure that 'who got there first' matters so much as 'who did it better'. The spark may have gone out of some stories through various retellings (and the mass of direct remakes does suggest they're running low on ideas) but I think that it's quite easy for a modern film to do a scenario better than a classic, even though the classic may be regarded as more original because it did it first.

Uniqueness doesn't matter so much to me as quality is what I'm saying I guess lol. And there are still some pretty damn unique films coming out. I wouldn't write it off just yet!

Years
I think it will always be harder for films nowadays to really stand out compared to classics. If you think about it, nearly every story has been told at least 10 times, no unique scenarios really exist anymore that haven't already been done, and even the most unique story is really similar to another (ruining the unique part...)
And if you go further back, most stories in movies have already been told in some book or other. Not saying that's good or back, just saying that even early Hollywood was borrowing a lot.

I think it's just that we've got a record of all these stories now, and with technology it's easy to compare one thing to another fairly easily so we get a little jaded maybe. But me, I don't care if a story has been done before if I can still be engaged in the movie (or book, or whatever).

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Ugh, I really want to find somewhere to watch the Inuyasha episodes that extended past the end of the canon series and followed a bit of the manga, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. It's like that one or two days they had on it on the Shonen Jump! website were the only times anyone could ever watch them. I'm going to kill myself. u_u

Hagumi

For a sick boy
Years
Ah, Gintama. I watched a few episodes and I thought it was fairly good but then when life got busy I just sort of forgot about it. This thread his reminded to pick it back up!

In other news, calling all Penguindrum/Ikuhara fans:
http://www.penguinbear.com/
Have you seen this yet? What do you think it'll turn out to be? Are you excited?

Shining Raichu

Years
They just announced the new American Idol judges. They've gone from the amazing Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler to.... Keith Urban and Nicki Minaj. I don't watch the show and I doubt anybody here would either, but I think we can all agree that that's a tremendous fall from grace.

Shining Raichu

Years
I don't really like her either, I find her insufferable and I'm not really a fan of her music... but as an Idol judge I just... I can't. She's barely a musician.

Then again, I guess Ellen DeGeneres wasn't a musician either...

Years
I forgot Ellen was a judge

Well at the very least, Ellen was funny. Perhaps she was a judge because she uh knows about pop culture/the industry?

At the very least, I can see Nicki Minaj being slightly better than Kara DioGuardi... that woman was insufferable.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I don't mind Nicki Minaj at all. She's definitely not all that great a rapper but... loads of people aren't at all great at what they do and they don't get so much flack for it. Some people who are nothing short of terrible, which I don't really think Nicki is, at what they do are really popular tbh. *shrug*

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Ugh Nicki Minaj is terrible. I especially hate when she starts rapping in a "british accent" in super bass. >:(

Agreed! She seems so... annoying ;; She seems to think she's much better than she is and it's kinda irritating to watch :x But I just change the channel and it's fine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back