• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iPhone 5 unveiled, taller screen, 4G

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Article

Important points:

• "The firm said it was 18% thinner and 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S"
  • "The screen measures 4in (10.2cm) which is still smaller than rival devices from Samsung, Nokia, Motorola and HTC"
  • Works on Everything Everywhere 4G LTE network in the UK
  • Screen now has the same ratio as a widescreen TV
  • "The handset also features a new Apple-designed chip, called the A6. Mr Schiller suggested this made it twice as powerful as the earlier model"
  • 8 MP camera, same as the 4S
  • Expected charger socket change - old products will need an adapter to work with the new phone
  • "It will be sold with either 16 gigabytes, 32GB or 64GB of storage, with prices ranging from $199 to $399 (£123 to £248) in the US with a two-year contract."

Thoughts? Any 4S users going to spring for the new phone when it comes out on September 21st? Better or worse than the newest Android phones on the market?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't even have a 4S. I'm going to stay cool with my 3GS. -flips hair and walks out with nose in the air-

Claire*

Here's to the crazy ones.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
I have a 4S, I'm thinking about buying the Nokia Lumia 920 however. I love that yellow color. <3

I like the minimalism of Windows phone, the skeuomorphism of iOS is wearing thin on me...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
...Ew...okay now that I see what it looks like, I don't like it lol. My 3GS is already a nice size and the 4 and 4S are nice sizes too, but 5 looks too big. Then again, I have this reaction to almost every technology upgrade. I am just resisting change as usual. Give me time and I'll adjust. Hated GBA SPs and DSes when they were released as well!! I have problems. :) I get to get my mom's 4S when she upgrades to a 5...yay? v_v

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh, same camera? Yeah no, not upgrading from my 4S. Only reason I'd want to upgrade is for the camera lmao. :( I'll just wait for iPhone 5S with a best camera in existence. n___n Plus I can manage in low light IT'S CALLED A TORCH.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I'm legitimately excited for this, but I don't know if I'll be getting it. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon and they've already stated that anyone that upgrades to a 4G device (that includes the iPhone 5) will lose their unlimited data plans. I use a lot of data monthly and I don't want to have to start paying more than $30 a month for data. If I would to switch plans and keep using data like I do, I would definitely be paying some overage charges.

I'll probably end up getting it anyway. XD

Edit: @Requility: The camera is 25% smaller and 40% faster.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Edit: @Requility: The camera is 25% smaller and 40% faster.

Yeah I don't care about speed or anything, this works perfectly fine as it is. What I'd have liked is an improved front (when taking pics of yourself) of the camera, as well as higher quality when zooming. ;( And that would've swayed me to get it but otherwise nope.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3318322/iphone-5-camera-isight-smaller

This give a really good rundown on how the camera is different from the 4S. Looks like enough of a jump for me.

Yeah not really selling it for me tbh. In fact the only thing that appealed to me was the ability to take photos during recordings but I can always screenshot if I really need to.

But really, my mindset is like, why not just wait a year (or so) for the 5S which'll probably improve whatever I wanted anyways? :( Plus my 4S is still under warranty so I might as well abuse that lool.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm thinking of upgrading my phone to an iPhone soon and honestly I am not too impressed with the 5. Some of these features (though "faster") you can also get with the 4S, so...to be honest I don't see a point in getting a 5 while I can just get the 4S at a cheaper price. Yeah, I won't get "faster" features, but it's still an iPhone with "amazing" features xD

Zet

Years
I'll be replacing my Windows Phone 7 with an iPhone 5. Plus my contract ends this year as well, so I might as well go for a change.

I just hope the iPhone 5 here in Australia will have 4G, I'm a bit concerned since the new iPad couldn't work on Telstra's 4G network, but even without it, I think it's worth getting.

...Ew...okay now that I see what it looks like, I don't like it lol. My 3GS is already a nice size and the 4 and 4S are nice sizes too, but 5 looks too big. Then again, I have this reaction to almost every technology upgrade. I am just resisting change as usual. Give me time and I'll adjust. Hated GBA SPs and DSes when they were released as well!! I have problems. :) I get to get my mom's 4S when she upgrades to a 5...yay? v_v
If you think the iPhone 5 is big, you should see the Galaxy S3(it's freaking huge).

Last edited:
Years
I'll be replacing my Windows Phone 7 with an iPhone 5. Plus my contract ends this year as well, so I might as well go for a change.

I just hope the iPhone 5 here in Australia will have 4G, I'm a bit concerned since the new iPad couldn't work on Telstra's 4G network, but even without it, I think it's worth getting.
They said it's good for Telstra's, Optus' and Virgin's LTE/4G Networks. I'm more concerned that later in its life those 4G networks will be overpopulated, but probably still better than 3G or even NextG.

I'll grab one when my plan ticks over at the start of 2013, provided Telstra's not charging too much for the 32GB variant.

I don't understand why everyone's complaining about being underwhelmed. It's faster, lighter, slimmer, has a bigger screen, etc, etc. In terms of design, I prefer the audio jack on the bottom and like the new metal backing. What do they want it to do? Tell jokes and fart bubbles?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021

If you think the iPhone 5 is big, you should see the Galaxy S3(it's freaking huge).

The new iPhone should hopefully have support for most LTE networks around the world in the hardware. No worries, if much there!

Though, I've been wondering: why are you switching from WP? I've noticed that the iPhone 5 literally pales in a lot of aspects, aside from apps in comparison to the 920... Thinking of apps?

Either way, it's a fine upgrade, unless your current phone already has a larger screen than the iPhone 5's 4".

Zet

Years
The new iPhone should hopefully have support for most LTE networks around the world in the hardware. No worries, if much there!

Though, I've been wondering: why are you switching from WP? I've noticed that the iPhone 5 literally pales in a lot of aspects, aside from apps in comparison to the 920... Thinking of apps?

Either way, it's a fine upgrade, unless your current phone already has a larger screen than the iPhone 5's 4".
Mainly to iMessage with friends overseas(since texting can cost a fortune D:) and better app support since WP hardly gets any love :(

(my current WP is a Mozart 7, one of the first WP devices and it's starting showing it's age).

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Mainly to iMessage with friends overseas(since texting can cost a fortune D:) and better app support since WP hardly gets any love :(

(my current WP is a Mozart 7, one of the first WP devices and it's starting showing it's age).

*looks at his Nokia* I suppose you sometimes have to pick a good vendor, as my phone is still getting features left and right despite the OS heading to a dead end. And exclusives. Hmm...

All your friends use iMessage, huh? Sometimes it's a better idea to just switch to an iPhone and use iMessage, but you might want to tell your iMessage-using friends about other messaging apps that are cross-platform. These work on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, for example, Viber, and a couple of stuff I've forgot.

Also, seems like even Oreo is... making fun? Strange...
nOs8p.jpg

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I'm one of those crazy Apple addicted people, but don't have a smartphone yet. Im considering getting one. Ive been due for an upgrade for a while as well. It might be a christmas gift for me, idk.

Years
I don't like the elitist attitude of Apple (ironic considering how elitist I seem to be at times, haha, ONLY I CAN BE ELITIST AND BIGOTED) so I opted for the Galaxy S3 instead. I am going to be annoyed if the S3 cannot hook up to the new 4G network >_<

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
Nah, I got my Galaxy S III a couple weeks ago, and it's blown me away. Judging from the specs, I wouldn't have much reason to want to switch to Apple anyways.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I've had an iPhone since they first came out, and I've only stuck with them because they're familiar, but seeing how there really isn't much of an improvement from 4s to 5 I think I'll be moving on (not that I really have any issues with the Iphone~~). The new droid phones monstrous battery life is extremely appealing to me and the only thing that stands out among the crowd, other than that all of the phones look relatively the same.

Back