• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk rap.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
@dude with Japanese username. Thank you, finally a person that knows true rap and doesn't listen to mainstream.

Notice the rappers he/she mentioned? It's called underground and better than the rap crap we got now. Royce Da 5'9's song Writers Block is just badass. Anyone heard of Elzhi? What about Immortal Technique, Krizz Kaliko, Skatterman & Snug Brim, and I'm gonna mention a rapper that none of you probably heard of. Mr. Liqz a.k.a Sic Cyde. This dude is underground, underground and needs to get heard.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
Not sure what droomph is talking about or if he's just trying to troll, as hip hop really has no race [comments about 'eminem is the only white rapper' are just stupid], but I enjoy rap music a lot. I guess I'll start with Macklemore, he was an XXL 2012 freshman, so I'm sure he's more known than he was last year, but for those that haven't heard of him; he's worth a listen. Dude's got a lot of talent and raps about more than hoes, money, drugs, etc. Another rapper I'd like to sort of feature here is Skizzy Mars; his music is pretty chill in general, but in songs like Douchebag, Sirens, his flow and ability to use metaphors are pretty outstanding, reminds me a bit of Gambino, but he's definitely unique. G-Eazyis also definitely worth a listen, he's got a sick flow and his homage to the nostalgic music of the 60's is pretty distinct in today's rap game, plus he has a like a different girl singing his chorus in each of his songs, dude's swag is off the charts. Cam Meekins is among my favorite rappers now, he's a lot different than your typical frat rapper, and other MA rappers (Sammy Adams); Cam has definitely got a great flow, and his beats, lyrics, everything is really solid and the quality is definitely higher than a lot of upcoming rappers right now. Everyone here probably listens to Hopsin, but for the few that haven't, you probably should start to; Hopsin's essentially a genius when it comes to the rap game, his flow is probably better than anyone you hear on the radio or even in the underground, and his lyrics are either fantastic disses on the mainstream or deep stuff that a lot of other people won't say. There's also Sam Lachow, he's a Seattle like Macklemore, and he reminds me of Mack quite a bit, but like I said with Skizzy, he's got a sound all his own, his flow is seriously smooth and he's probably one of my favorites to listen to at the moment. Then there's Yonas, who's probably my favorite rapper at the moment, his flow, beats, lyrics, everything with him, for me, is just perfection. He wants to stand out, and he pulls it off perfectly; I think I loved every single song on the Proven Theory. Definitely a great artist deserving of recognition. Also, I agree with whoever mentioned XV here [think it was Nuke], he's been around for a while and has a ton of talent, I also agree about Nuke's comment on Drake, he was probably my favorite artist before I knew about rap outside of the mainstream, and is probably the most talented in Young Money, but I'm not a big fan of where he's gone with his sound; Big Sean is a decent 'mainstream' rapper too, he's got a pretty good flow, but I mean songs like Dance/Ass probably mean he's going in the direction Wiz and MGK have gone; J. Cole and ASAP are great too, if they can be considered mainstream rappers, Cole World and live.love.asap were absolutely fantastic. Didn't mean to write the whole Southern Nullification Theory there, but if you take the time to read this, you'll probably find some good music, PS Old Em is great.

Years
I forgot to include B.o.B and Outkast both also very talented rap artists. Nicki Minaj is the worst thing to the entire genre if you ask me. Her rapping is awful and I find her voice is irritating even with the tonnes upon tonnes of autotuning she gets.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Nicki Minaj is the worst thing to the entire genre if you ask me.

I really wouldn't consider her in the genre at all. Her music is more Pop now, if you ask me. This also applies to some other artists. They may start off as one thing, but the more and more they get put into the mainstream, they start to just become Pop or Pop-Rock.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Do you guy's just like rappers with an up-beat or do you like "real" rappers with good lyrics? Every mainstream rapper you hear on radio can't flow. I wouldn't classify Young Jeezy as mainstream because he barely get's any radio time. I'm talkin about whack rappers like Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Rick Ross, Waka Focka Flame, etc. They got good beats but suck at rapping. All Lil Wayne raps about is how he fked a girl last night, or how much money he makes, hoes, etc. Waka Flocka sucks too. He only raps about women too. If you want real rap stop listening to the radio go on youtube and type in any of these artist. Tech N9ne, Immortal Technique, Hopsin, Elzhi, Nas, Biggie, Eazy-E, Young Jeezy, Krizz Kaliko, Mos Def, Brother Ali, 2Pac, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Eminem (STAY AWAY FROM NEWER STUFF HE IT'S JUST NOT HIM ANYMORE), Yelawolf, older T.I. stuff, Ice Cube, Kid CuDi, DMX, Busta Rhymes, etc. Thats the definition of rap.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
i used to be a hardcore hip hop head....then hip hop died and rap took its place and now im not really liking the turnout. i used to listen to alot of Nas,Tupac,A Tribe Called Quest,Big L,Wu Tang Clan,etc. as of late i just cant bring myself to listen to them because rappers like the new lil wayne(lil wayne used to be pretty good now all that drug use made him an idiot),drake,and rick ross ake all these cliches and just arent very good at rapping so now i steer clear even of the classics. im very dissapointed in how things ended up in what used to be an art form but what is now just a bunch of catchy gangsta pop(i know that phrase sounds ridiculous but so does current rap)

im openly bashing new rap because its like having someone you really care about later become fake and unappealing. if i didnt care i wouldnt bother to type so much of this.

i think rap is more of the teenage thing in general because now as im getting into my mid twenties i rather listen to someone actually sing with actual instruments in the backcground....or techno/house music.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I would definitely not call myself the world's biggest rap fan, but I'd like to think I'd appreciate good rap when I heard it. For me, while the lyrical content is important, just hearing how the lyrics come together, coupled with the quality of the vocal and rhythmic ecstasy inherent, is what separates good rap from. People rapping about how 'da club' is so 'hawt' because 'shorty's gettin' doooooown wiv it' might be all well and good, but unless the way that's put together sounds appealing, then I'm not going to care what temperate the club is at. For me, that's the sticking point, and it's why I like vintage Eminem and Azalea Banks and Nicki Minaj when she's actually trying to be a rapper.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I like rap. The first rap I ever rapped was the rap Ludacris' rapped in Baby. After that, I advanced to the much more harder raps like the rap in Look at me Now, stuff like that. I said rap too much, didn't I? I don't even know if what I said made any sense. But yeah, I like rap.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Rap is an awesome genre i like it a lot but like any genre it has its sub genres and when people generalize it as a whole its not really fair itd be like generalizing metal or rock just from one genre of it. Ill listen to anything but the stuff i really enjoy listening too is when rappers use their intellectual sides to send a message like Lupe Fiasco with his Lasers album or Ice cube with "Gangsta Rap made me do it". Even the stuff everyone claims they dont like like Lil Wayne and YMCMB all other "studio gangsters". You have to appreciate the science that goes into being able to learn what the majority of the population would get addicted too and being able to spread music that way. Even though they're "hated" they are very popular and dominate the scene because of science and intelligence behind the facade of their personas and spreading terrible messages to the public.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
Lil wayne. T- Pain.. are good. I like rap. but mostly rappers use abuse. that 's why I really don't listen much of them

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I don't mind rap. Whenever I listen to it, I usually listen to Eminem because he is godly. I also enjoy when Drake raps, so those two would be my favorites.

Nes-One

Another Person Into Pokemon
Years
If it comes to hip hop and stuff does any listen to like NWA, People Under The Stairs, Nujabes, Cunninlyguists, Aesop Rock, Cypress Hill, Dilated Peoples, Wu Tang Clan, Blu, Mackelmore, Eyedea & Abilities, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest ? This is just some of the stuff that I listen to cause I'm not a fan of what gets played on the radio.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Lil wayne. T- Pain.. are good. I like rap. but mostly rappers use abuse. that 's why I really don't listen much of them

Is this a joke? Lil Wayne can't flow, his punchlines suck, metaphores suck, rhymes suck, everything about Lil Wayne sucks! Lil Wayne wouldn't even be a rapper if Tupac was still in the game, he just wouldn't. Want real rap? Old school or underground. Anything else sucks.

Nes-One

Another Person Into Pokemon
Years
Never knew about a lot that, I just never paid any mind to the guy's career or music, up until he made the claim that he was the greatest rapper alive. And when I heard that I pretty much thought it was a joke.

Back