Roleplay Stage This is where the In-Character roleplaying happens. Before you create a thread here, recruit some players in Roleplay Casting. Your very own legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures awaits! Let's go!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #5801    
Old September 28th, 2012 (9:18 AM).
Satan.EXE's Avatar
Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
King of the Hell
     
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Location: C:\
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 2,807
    You know, all of this debating is really taking notice away from our shameless advertising.
    __________________

    Relevant Advertising!

      #5802    
    Old September 28th, 2012 (7:42 PM).
    Skymin's Avatar
    Skymin Skymin is offline
    part time demon hunter
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: AU
    Age: 24
    Nature: Quirky
    Posts: 5,134
    Alright kids.

    The RPOs was a whim of an idea. It wasn't to replace the RPAs altogether, just the Q3 or whichever was June-August because of the Olympics. The RPOs had collaborative events but surprise surprise, though people joined, not actually many people participated.

    And now, the Roleplay event is PURELY for the PCX. It's not because we think we don't have enough events. It's for FUN. Also, there are definitely collaborative events for that. Aka the battle event for that.

    After all this, we'll be going back with the RPAs, which will take place in November or something, I'll have to re check.

    Of course, if anyone has any ideas for events, I'm happy to listen and stuff, as long as youre prepared to organise it. That's what happened with the RPOs. The only thing I did administrative wise for that was create emblems.
    __________________
    art blogreblog blogavatar by me
    i can draw your character → commission info
      #5803    
    Old September 28th, 2012 (9:21 PM).
    Satan.EXE's Avatar
    Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
    King of the Hell
       
      Join Date: Dec 2011
      Location: C:\
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 2,807
      I for one can't wait for the RolePlay Awards to return. As much as I liked the idea of the RPOs I (and possibly others) was unable to gain the extra time required to put forth that effort. The RPAs are a personal preference to me because, to participate, you don't have to do much of anything, other than your regular RP habits.

      As for the RPAs, I had an idea. One of the main issues with it is that, statistically, a larger RP might yield more votes as opposed to a smaller one. This is because people often don't pay attention to an RP they aren't involved in, which also includes the characters within those other RPs, and possibly even the RPers themselves.

      My thoughts are this: Would it be possible for us to devise some solution to this problem? Something that could give every RP, every character, and every RPer an equal opportunity at earning an award in the RPAs.

      __

      That said, I nominate Supervegeta as the best RP.
      __________________
        #5804    
      Old September 28th, 2012 (10:16 PM).
      machomuu's Avatar
      machomuu machomuu is offline
      • Crystal Tier
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Apr 2008
      Location: Americalanavania
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 10,270
      I think judging should, thus, be more strict and more criteria based. If there were few enough events, I would suggest that there be a certain number of people allowed to sign up to judge a criteria, and if one is to judge one criteria then they should not be allowed to (possibly excluding the RPO organizers from that rule). I also feel that the judging not be based on age so much as credibility and qualification (in terms of judgement, analytical skills, etc.), as I've seen some incredible RPers of young age on here that, had I not been told of their age, I would have thought they were as old as me, or older. I feel that it's more important that the judges have an acceptable and appropriate basis on which to judge the submissions.
      __________________
      Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


      I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
        #5805    
      Old September 28th, 2012 (10:38 PM).
      SV's Avatar
      SV SV is offline
      See You Space Cowboy
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Mar 2011
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 3,370
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
      I for one can't wait for the RolePlay Awards to return. As much as I liked the idea of the RPOs I (and possibly others) was unable to gain the extra time required to put forth that effort. The RPAs are a personal preference to me because, to participate, you don't have to do much of anything, other than your regular RP habits.

      As for the RPAs, I had an idea. One of the main issues with it is that, statistically, a larger RP might yield more votes as opposed to a smaller one. This is because people often don't pay attention to an RP they aren't involved in, which also includes the characters within those other RPs, and possibly even the RPers themselves.

      My thoughts are this: Would it be possible for us to devise some solution to this problem? Something that could give every RP, every character, and every RPer an equal opportunity at earning an award in the RPAs.

      __

      That said, I nominate Supervegeta as the best RP.
      I do believe that problem has been remedied a while ago when there was a panel of judges created that handle the RPA nomination process. RPA wins are no longer by votes but instead are voted upon by the judges, though nominations are taken into account.
      __________________


      A Legend once told me that roleplaying is about bringing people together and celebrating creative vision.
      Paired with the Artsy Infinite and the Spectacular Shak
        #5806    
      Old September 29th, 2012 (1:17 PM).
      Satan.EXE's Avatar
      Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
      King of the Hell
         
        Join Date: Dec 2011
        Location: C:\
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 2,807
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Supervegeta View Post
        I do believe that problem has been remedied a while ago when there was a panel of judges created that handle the RPA nomination process. RPA wins are no longer by votes but instead are voted upon by the judges, though nominations are taken into account.
        I wasn't referring to this, though it was a significant improvement.

        It's more of the fact that some amazing Roleplays, characters, and players have gone unnoticed. Because no one ever voted for them in the first place, no one bothered to look. Maybe if there were somehow a way to make sure all of these players are accounted for.
        __________________
          #5807    
        Old September 29th, 2012 (3:04 PM).
        Genesystem's Avatar
        Genesystem Genesystem is offline
        Beef Alternative
           
          Join Date: Sep 2012
          Location: I wish I knew, too, tbh
          Nature: Modest
          Posts: 63
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
          I wasn't referring to this, though it was a significant improvement.

          It's more of the fact that some amazing Roleplays, characters, and players have gone unnoticed. Because no one ever voted for them in the first place, no one bothered to look. Maybe if there were somehow a way to make sure all of these players are accounted for.
          That's really how Award shows (and the like) work, it's all about nomination, and that stems from appeal. It is that exemplary facet that is really what makes people noticed. I'd say the only time that appeal isn't the cause of nomination is if the member is very well known and well respected, as people tend to have a bias towards them (more often than not, that bias is unconscious). I wouldn't say that things are actually unequal in terms of the being noticed...not completely, as it is exposure that leads to nomination, appeal that leads to exposure, and (most of the time, in the case of RPs) skill that leads to such appeal.

          One also becomes more noticed because of how they present themselves. Part of this is in terms of writing, but I am also talking about in terms of how their posts look (this is especially true for RP submission posts, though I'd say it's more important there. For instance, people who use backgrounds in their writing and pretty text colors and fonts are more likely to be recognized than those who, say, use the default font and do nothing else. I'd say that that is a problem, as quite a few people are satisfied with just making ordinary posts with nothing specifically aesthetically unique about it, and I see nothing wrong with that, but it does play a part in that exposure. It is really because of that (and the whole "famous member" bias) that I half agree with you, but I don't know exactly how much can be done on the organizer's part in terms of that (at least, not without alienating members process).
            #5808    
          Old September 29th, 2012 (11:10 PM).
          Skymin's Avatar
          Skymin Skymin is offline
          part time demon hunter
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Sep 2006
          Location: AU
          Age: 24
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 5,134
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
          Maybe if there were somehow a way to make sure all of these players are accounted for.
          Okay, so what you do is you nominate them.

          Easy.
          __________________
          art blogreblog blogavatar by me
          i can draw your character → commission info
            #5809    
          Old September 30th, 2012 (7:37 PM).
          ShinyDiamond's Avatar
          ShinyDiamond ShinyDiamond is offline
          »Crossing worlds«
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Mar 2011
          Location: Shinra
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 2,684
          This 10th Anniversary, maybe I'll try a different event when it comes up again. These events don't work out for me. I hope the next ones are still great.
          __________________

          Paired for life with Rose Quartz
          ~Dia+RS~
            #5810    
          Old October 1st, 2012 (6:27 AM).
          Satan.EXE's Avatar
          Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
          King of the Hell
             
            Join Date: Dec 2011
            Location: C:\
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 2,807
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Skymin View Post
            Okay, so what you do is you nominate them.

            Easy.
            I think this might be a concern more for the smaller groups. I've noticed that I've met a lot of great RPers that I'd never even heard of before. It just seems to me that a lot of people here go unnoticed.
            __________________
              #5811    
            Old October 2nd, 2012 (2:40 AM).
            adventure's Avatar
            adventure adventure is online now
            autumn is coming
            • Super Moderator
            • Platinum Tier
            • Social Media
            • Discord Moderoid
             
            Join Date: Nov 2007
            Location: Skaia
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Naive
            Posts: 27,849
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
            I think this might be a concern more for the smaller groups. I've noticed that I've met a lot of great RPers that I'd never even heard of before. It just seems to me that a lot of people here go unnoticed.
            If you come up with a good idea of how they can get the attention you think they deserve, I suggest you talk to Skymin about it. Until then, I think this system is a good thing. As long as the judges don't override the nominations too much and let someone win with only one nomination in a category when someone else had, like, 5.
            __________________
            paired to a seeker.
              #5812    
            Old October 2nd, 2012 (7:00 AM).
            Satan.EXE's Avatar
            Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
            King of the Hell
               
              Join Date: Dec 2011
              Location: C:\
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 2,807
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
              If you come up with a good idea of how they can get the attention you think they deserve, I suggest you talk to Skymin about it. Until then, I think this system is a good thing.

              As long as the judges don't override the nominations too much and let someone win with only one nomination in a category when someone else had, like, 5.
              That is my exact reason for bringing it up here. I figured we could all work together to bring up some solution to this issue. I am trying to think of something, but so far the best Idea I'd had was a Nomination Thread, but even then I'm iffy on the idea myself. But the fact is that few people will know of an RP or a player in an RP if said RP is small. For example, a goliath like Pokemon Trainer Academy will probably reel in numerous votes (due to a large group playing) and even a player within will have more votes because more people will know about them. This is compared to, for example, a group with only four or five players. Someone could make something truly amazing with this small RP or make a wonderful character for this small RP. The small group leaves an even smaller chance for the RP itself or a player within to get even a nomination, because a vast majority of RPers won't look around outside of an RP they're already in/running.

              5 votes versus one... Though I still believe that a single, well-thought-out vote can trump five votes that don't necessarily prove anything. If anything, I believe that the Judgement Power should actually be increased. So that every potential winner has a fair chance. Just because someone gets a lot of votes does not mean that a single person's vote for someone/something else is insignificant.

              Here's another idea: Require a link for every nomination. For example, link to the Roleplay's OOC or to a Character's posts, to actually show their worth. This way the Judges can see what they're voting for.

              __

              I'd also like to nominate Supervegeta as Godliest Player.
              __________________
                #5813    
              Old October 2nd, 2012 (5:41 PM).
              Khawill's Avatar
              Khawill Khawill is online now
              Swaggins
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Aug 2012
              Location: The Cave of Hymns
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Brave
              Posts: 1,562
              Well heres two things to say, the first relates to the current topic, the second is an RP dilemma.
              1. Trainer's Academy, Fallout, and Earth and Sky! are pretty big RPs, not counting the many other ones. Then character nominations can be hard since one would have to weed through pages of the forums to find every post (then relevant posts from people they interact with.) Instead why not do by best post, or have people who want to participate post all of their character's interactions in a forum in a certain section or the RP (only one nomination per character)
              If you made a new section in the RP for the awards instead of a new Thread everyone could post threads of what they want to nominate along with all the info and it will be easier for judges to read and organize the posts. Additionally when the time comes to delete the threads, you can delete all but the winning one (or three).

              2. In my RP I need a way to keep track of money, or even better a store, I'd open a spreadsheet on my computer but it was reformatted a few days ago and it suddenly doesn't sound like a good idea. I was hopping something where one goes in and signs in, is given initial money and I add the amount they earn. Then whenever they click something in the shop, it subtracts from the current money they have. (I know this is a program but maybe some other alternative suggestions, I was going to try ether pad but it is to easy to go in and vandalize.)
              __________________
              College Bound, Mentally Sound.

              Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
                #5814    
              Old October 3rd, 2012 (4:10 AM).
              Genesystem's Avatar
              Genesystem Genesystem is offline
              Beef Alternative
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2012
                Location: I wish I knew, too, tbh
                Nature: Modest
                Posts: 63
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
                That is my exact reason for bringing it up here. I figured we could all work together to bring up some solution to this issue. I am trying to think of something, but so far the best Idea I'd had was a Nomination Thread, but even then I'm iffy on the idea myself. But the fact is that few people will know of an RP or a player in an RP if said RP is small. For example, a goliath like Pokemon Trainer Academy will probably reel in numerous votes (due to a large group playing) and even a player within will have more votes because more people will know about them. This is compared to, for example, a group with only four or five players. Someone could make something truly amazing with this small RP or make a wonderful character for this small RP. The small group leaves an even smaller chance for the RP itself or a player within to get even a nomination, because a vast majority of RPers won't look around outside of an RP they're already in/running.

                5 votes versus one... Though I still believe that a single, well-thought-out vote can trump five votes that don't necessarily prove anything. If anything, I believe that the Judgement Power should actually be increased. So that every potential winner has a fair chance. Just because someone gets a lot of votes does not mean that a single person's vote for someone/something else is insignificant.

                Here's another idea: Require a link for every nomination. For example, link to the Roleplay's OOC or to a Character's posts, to actually show their worth. This way the Judges can see what they're voting for.

                __

                I'd also like to nominate Supervegeta as Godliest Player.
                Then advertise people and RPs, that's the only way I can think of that they'll get noticed if not for skill, notability, or reputation.
                  #5815    
                Old October 3rd, 2012 (9:40 AM).
                adventure's Avatar
                adventure adventure is online now
                autumn is coming
                • Super Moderator
                • Platinum Tier
                • Social Media
                • Discord Moderoid
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2007
                Location: Skaia
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Naive
                Posts: 27,849
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by WolfOfEve View Post
                That is my exact reason for bringing it up here. I figured we could all work together to bring up some solution to this issue. I am trying to think of something, but so far the best Idea I'd had was a Nomination Thread
                Uh, the current way the RPA works is already by a nomination thread.

                And I think the judges can find a RPer or RP pretty easily by just browsing or searching the board.

                But I digress. Whatev lol I'm only here to waste time and have some fun.
                __________________
                paired to a seeker.
                  #5816    
                Old October 3rd, 2012 (1:30 PM).
                Nimblethumbs's Avatar
                Nimblethumbs Nimblethumbs is offline
                my name would look hot in bold
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2010
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 284
                  Holy hell there are no RPs.

                  Anybody shamelessly advertising their RP?

                  The one I applied to was a good one but seems dead to me (it's been at least a week since I finished my SU...)
                  __________________
                  insert witty quote here
                    #5817    
                  Old October 3rd, 2012 (1:41 PM).
                  Khawill's Avatar
                  Khawill Khawill is online now
                  Swaggins
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2012
                  Location: The Cave of Hymns
                  Age: 21
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Brave
                  Posts: 1,562
                  Well nimblethumbs, I suppose you could try mine (in my sig) or even Pokemon Fallout (Pokemontrainer yellow) or Pokemon Revolution (Icefyre). I mean there are plenty of them, those are just the three that I'm most active.
                  __________________
                  College Bound, Mentally Sound.

                  Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
                    #5818    
                  Old October 3rd, 2012 (1:47 PM).
                  Meganium's Avatar
                  Meganium Meganium is offline
                  git gud or get r e k t
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                  Location: Galveston, TX
                  Age: 26
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Brave
                  Posts: 17,045
                  POKEMON TRAINER ACADEMY

                  POKEMON TRAINER ACADEMY

                  There's a few spots left. So go ahead and send in your SU!

                  Speaking of which, I'm also looking for one to fill up my schedule. I'm in one rn. :|
                    #5819    
                  Old October 3rd, 2012 (1:52 PM).
                  Satan.EXE's Avatar
                  Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
                  King of the Hell
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2011
                    Location: C:\
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 2,807
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Nimblethumbs View Post
                    Holy hell there are no RPs.

                    Anybody shamelessly advertising their RP?

                    The one I applied to was a good one but seems dead to me (it's been at least a week since I finished my SU...)
                    Well, I have two currently up, and if you join them, here are the situations:

                    If you join Sacred Fire/Divine Water, you'll be aiding in the revival of a roleplay about two feudal families of ancient Johto. This RP I had based loosely on the "Pokemon Conquest" theme, so every human is spiritually linked to one Pokemon. This can be very trivial, as you will die if your link dies, faint if it faints, and feel pain when it feels pain. In some cases, but not all, the linked human and Pokemon will have matching personalities, and will often feel the same as their link. These families were once one, and there is tension between them. If this sounds interesting, go ahead and take a look. I based the story around actual Johto Lore from the games, mixed with my own interpretation of what happened.

                    If you join Zelda: Dimensional Links, you'll be signing up for an original story in which Vaati tears through the dimensions, capturing the wielders of Triforce in each, supplying him with an unlimited source of power. The players must form a group while in hiding, going through preparations as they aim for the fight of their lives. This RP has yet to begin, and only four players will be accepted once it starts. This is going to be a small RP and requires members that are extremely loyal to their Roleplays.

                    Go ahead and click one of these colorful titles to see the OOC pages.

                    __________________
                      #5820    
                    Old October 3rd, 2012 (2:14 PM).
                    Nimblethumbs's Avatar
                    Nimblethumbs Nimblethumbs is offline
                    my name would look hot in bold
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2010
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 284
                      I don't know anything about Zelda

                      The SF/DW thing seems interesting, but it's progressed to far in for me to really join and get in :,(
                      __________________
                      insert witty quote here
                        #5821    
                      Old October 3rd, 2012 (2:16 PM).
                      Satan.EXE's Avatar
                      Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
                      King of the Hell
                         
                        Join Date: Dec 2011
                        Location: C:\
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 2,807
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Nimblethumbs View Post
                        The SF/DW thing seems interesting, but it's progressed to far in for me to really join and get in :,(
                        Nonsense, you can join at any point! Besides, the Roleplay has only ended the first day, after all, so the only thing you missed was the New Moon Festival. You could easily ask another player what happened in short summary form.
                        __________________
                          #5822    
                        Old October 5th, 2012 (7:19 AM).
                        adventure's Avatar
                        adventure adventure is online now
                        autumn is coming
                        • Super Moderator
                        • Platinum Tier
                        • Social Media
                        • Discord Moderoid
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2007
                        Location: Skaia
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Naive
                        Posts: 27,849
                        I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING.

                        There are RPs from August on the first page. AUGUST. Where has activity gone? o.o Has school swallowed us all at last?
                        __________________
                        paired to a seeker.
                          #5823    
                        Old October 5th, 2012 (8:04 AM).
                        Greiger's Avatar
                        Greiger Greiger is offline
                        A mad mind... hehe
                           
                          Join Date: Sep 2011
                          Location: A water pond, duh!
                          Age: 26
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Serious
                          Posts: 2,010
                          Unfortunately, yes. School does have that effect.
                          __________________
                            #5824    
                          Old October 5th, 2012 (8:53 AM).
                          Satan.EXE's Avatar
                          Satan.EXE Satan.EXE is offline
                          King of the Hell
                             
                            Join Date: Dec 2011
                            Location: C:\
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 2,807
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
                            I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING.

                            There are RPs from August on the first page. AUGUST. Where has activity gone? o.o Has school swallowed us all at last?
                            Where you you the past month or two?
                            __________________
                              #5825    
                            Old October 5th, 2012 (5:46 PM). Edited October 5th, 2012 by Nimblethumbs.
                            Nimblethumbs's Avatar
                            Nimblethumbs Nimblethumbs is offline
                            my name would look hot in bold
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2010
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Relaxed
                              Posts: 284
                              I see all these guys using CSS to make their posts look cool and I can't

                              i need to learn vbulletin CSS
                              __________________
                              insert witty quote here
                              Closed Thread

                              Quick Reply

                              Join the conversation!

                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                              Create a PokéCommunity Account

                              Sponsored Links
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off
                              Minimum Characters Per Post: 25

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 AM.