• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

PETA and Pokemon

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The game that PETA just made was just...rather idiotic, IMO. They missed one of the key points of Pokemon, which is that both Pokemon and people are treated as equals.

Years
Job Position: Game Developer for PeTA.

seriously though I think its a bit dumb if they use black/white of all games to parody. you know, the one where the animal rights group is evil and actually abuses what they claim to save. i guess its accurate, just dumb marketing

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Peta is straight up dumb... They refuse to acknowledge that humans are omnivores, as well. LOL. Right.... They ignore scientific fact. It bugs me.

That's bull****. We're frugivores like all the other primates. Just 99% of people are too dumb to see it, and the other 1% don't want to feel left out.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
That's bull****. We're frugivores like all the other primates. Just 99% of people are too dumb to see it, and the other 1% don't want to feel left out.

Where did you hear that? Sure we eat fruit, but it's not our main type of food source. I'm pretty sure humans are omnivores.
Wikipedia said:
Humans are omnivorous, capable of consuming a wide variety of plant and animal material
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Diet

Anyway, I posted this as my Facebook status.
"PETA , Pokemon is about friendship and bonding and treating Pokemon as equals , not enslaving and abusing little creatures and forcing them to battle. They battle cause they love their trainer and want to be their friend. Also it's just a game and shouldn't be taken so seriously."

As much as I care for animals, I think PETA went overboard. They always do and that's why I'll never support their silly, ignorant cause.
They clearly don't understand the concept of Pokemon which is nothing about abuse. Lastly, for a game that's suppose to be supporting animal abuse, it's really violent. Contradictory much?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Right, let's drop the "Pokemon is about friendship and equality", since it never was, at least not for the latter's case. If it was the anime, I'd agree with you about friendship, but it was never the purpose for the games. It's mention, frequently too in some, but was never important except for some few evolution requirements.

It's a legitimate complaint. The thing that makes Pokemon is catching every single Pokemon you see, and training your favorites to fight. It's not about friendship, it's about collecting. I'd like to think of Pokemon as more of a collect-a-thon than an RPG, because that's the point. Catching, training and battling, as heavily emphasized, is the point, not this friendship stuff.

The only Pokemon games of the same formula where friendship plays a factor are Colosseum and XD.

Lastly, for a game that's suppose to be supporting animal abuse, it's really violent. Contradictory much?
I fail to see what is contradictory about this. You expect them to get their point (which is a joke, nonetheless) with cutesy rainbows and sunshine?

Last edited:

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Where did you hear that? Sure we eat fruit, but it's not our main type of food source. I'm pretty sure humans are omnivores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Diet

Anyway, I posted this as my Facebook status.
"PETA , Pokemon is about friendship and bonding and treating Pokemon as equals , not enslaving and abusing little creatures and forcing them to battle. They battle cause they love their trainer and want to be their friend. Also it's just a game and shouldn't be taken so seriously."

As much as I care for animals, I think PETA went overboard. They always do and that's why I'll never support their silly, ignorant cause.
They clearly don't understand the concept of Pokemon which is nothing about abuse. Lastly, for a game that's suppose to be supporting animal abuse, it's really violent. Contradictory much?

I'm much smarter than Wikipedia. Sure, we can digest other stuff, but optimally we thrive on mostly fruit.

I agree with you though, PETA is a joke. It must be run by someone who hates animals, because they're probably detrimental to the vegan cause.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Take the discussion about what we thrive on to PMs or VMs if you wish to continue it, that's not the topic of this thread :)

I definitely feel that PETA is detrimental to the cause, just like any crazy subset of a group is detrimental to the group. People see it and think that it's the norm for that group, and then dismiss everyone in the overall group due to the crazy of one subset.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
Alright, here's my opinion.

PETA are a bunch of crazies who shouldn't be taken seriously and are hypocrites anyways.

This game uses gore to create shock value and is just plain manipulative.

Human beings are omnivores, we need the protein in meat to stay healthy and although there are substitutes for protein, most people can't afford them or can barely afford food at all.

Pokemon is pro-social like most fictional creations, it uses battling as a healthy means of outsourcing any aggressive feelings we may have while also instigating our natural need to nurture others.

AChipOffTheOldBrock

Too Legit To Quit
Years
  • Age 27
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 18, 2021
Poor PETA. Nobody cares about you anymore. What a desperate cry for attention.

Seriously, what kind of game would PETA-approved pokemon be anyway? You would goto the pokemon world. Walk around some. Watch some Tv. Recycle. Maybe see some pokemon if they stray into the city. Of course you couldnt go into the forest or mountains to look at pokemon because you would be disturbing their natural habitat. What fun.

PETA is a joke. Stay out of my vidya games you bastards!

Batel

A nothing.
Years
The irony of this is so delicious, I could nearly eat it off of the screen... And Irony isn't a food, people. I really think Gamefreak had a stroke of genius when they created Plasma.
Because Plasma's ideals aren't clear-cut stupid, but their representatives certainly are. Just like Peta's.

Zozma

I'm a blur
Years
I personally found it ironic that their game depicts more horror than any Pokemon game ever did. Way to go, PETA.

Years
This is just plain stupid !
I'm not sure what this is really about, capturing Pokemon/animals ? Or the cruelty of letting them battle and fight ? First of all, it's not cruel. Pokemon like to battle, they do it for fun.
The want to level up.
But anyway, PETA is beyond stupid ! They have this whole Pokemon = animals perspective.
Pokemon are monsters actually, not animals. They're just based off animals.

So what about Geodude,Magemite,Graveler,Voltorb, Electrode,Onix, Steelix,Porygon,Baltoy,Solrock,Magnezone,Klink,vanilite.......and the list goes on.....

Peta, have you ever built a house ? do you live in a house ? your office ? Isnt that cruel to Geodude and Graveler or Golem, since they are rocks ???
Have you ever ate an ice cream ? Next time, think about Vanilite.
Have you ever threw away the trash ? Think of poor little Trubbish.
You guys focus so much on the reality of Pokemon and that they are animals, but what about the Pokemon that are not animals ? The Pokemon that is based off inanimate objects ?

Please PETA, get real, Pokemon are pure fiction and not real !!!! [ but everyday I wish they were real :) ]

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
After watching a playthrough of this on YouTube, I have to say...this actually would have been really good as a parody of BWB2W2. Ghetsis's and Slowpoke's dialog especially convinces me of that. But then it's serious, so instead of being an amusing and actually well-animated game, it's just...sad.

Ash's battle especially. Ash never cared about Pikachu? So Ash almost getting killed to save Pikachu in the first episode from a bunch of rabid Spearow means nothing? As little of a fan I am of Ash, there is no mistaking that "Ash and Pikachu" is essentially the symbol of friendship. Granted, this is a game from the group that preaches "ethical treatment of animals" but then throws animal blood on people who wear fur and kills well over 90% of the animals in their own shelters.

And as others have said, Pokemon has been around since '96. The fact that they waited until now to attack them (because the battling has never changed) just proves that they're looking for attention. The Slowpoke at the end of their game must be the same one who told them about the existence of Pokemon.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

As I've said about PETA, they know not of what they speak and they are to animal rights activism as the Westboro Baptist Church is to all the other gay-bashing churches. Sure, they might cringe at the idea of being compared to Westboro but Westboro is keeping it real and they have the same message basically.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Empire

Lurking since 2008
Years
I sent Nintendo a notice about the PETA game and how it infringes their copyrights and this is the response i got.

ohZdJ.png

Looks like they may take legal action.

Back