• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Characters that would've been good companions with Ash

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
Suppose Cilan wasn't the one Striaton Brother chosen to travel with Ash. What if it was Chili? What if Brock and/or Misty weren't chosen as two of eight Kanto Gym Leaders to be Ash's first traveling buddies? What if Sabrina was chosen (or at least considered) or Lt. Surge (maybe not but in the Anime, I wouldn't be very surprised)? And why does it have to be a Gym Leader or one of the female game PCs?

So have fun with this. State your reasons for the character traveling with Ash.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
In my opinion, Brock, May and Max should come back. I liked Misty, but not as much as May. And I can't even start to explain how much I hate Iris :(

Reason: Well, May and Max were great concepts and I really like Hoenn, so yeah. Brock has been with Ash a long time, and I'm so used to him that getting rid of him in Best Wishes turned me off :/

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
In my opinion, Brock, May and Max should come back. I liked Misty, but not as much as May. And I can't even start to explain how much I hate Iris :(

Reason: Well, May and Max were great concepts and I really like Hoenn, so yeah. Brock has been with Ash a long time, and I'm so used to him that getting rid of him in Best Wishes turned me off :/

I meant characters that have never been Ash's companion with returns at all. Please stick to those characters and not past or current companions. Would Sakura have been a nice companion in Johto? Eusine maybe? How about Wally if he had appeared at all in AG?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I meant characters that have never been Ash's companion with returns at all. Please stick to those characters and not past or current companions. Would Sakura have been a nice companion in Johto? Eusine maybe? How about Wally if he had appeared at all in AG?

Oh lol, I mis-read.
I guess I'd really like to see Lance travel with Ash, and possibly Steven. Oh and a real page turner would be if James quit Team Rocket and went along with Ash, like wow! I'd really like to see that :3

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
I would have loved to see Ash being forced to travel with a rival like Paul. Imagine how messed up Ash and Gary traveling together would be. Stephan who pops in and out of BW would be pretty neat. I think anyone powerful like Lance or Wallace wouldn't fit too well, being so strong already.

Years
Maylene would have been cool. Since she's a good character and she has a lot of room for character development.

I on't know if this counts but I'd liked to have seen meowth ACTUALLY leave Team Rocket and join Ash etc... He would make an interesting addition and the interactions with TR would be interesting.

Stephan might have been cool, but he is basically another Ash.

It would be cool watching Ash forced to travel with Paul, since they grew that respect there would be a lot of room for development. Gary would be cool but they aren't really rivals any more since he became a professor and gets along so well with Ash now.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013

yeah the hoenn group was the best

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
Maylene would have been cool. Since she's a good character and she has a lot of room for character development.

I on't know if this counts but I'd liked to have seen meowth ACTUALLY leave Team Rocket and join Ash etc... He would make an interesting addition and the interactions with TR would be interesting.

It would be cool watching Ash forced to travel with Paul, since they grew that respect there would be a lot of room for development. Gary would be cool but they aren't really rivals any more since he became a professor and gets along so well with Ash now.

I meant before character development. Paul before the end of DP and douchey Gary. Really original series Ash and Gary would've been lulzy together. I agree that NowGary wouldn't really have room to go anywhere.

I like the conflict that would arise between Paul and Ash. Though, Paul at the end of DP would be interesting to see.

Rainflower

분홍신
Years
Am I the only one here who wants Bianca or Lyra as Ash's permanent traveling companion? I don't really like Iris and I prefer Bianca, to be honest

Chili would also be a great substitution for Cilan. Or Cheren. Maybe.

As for the characters that yet appear in the anime series, I would like to see the protagonists of BW/BW2.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Angie from the Pokémon Summer School in DP! She would've been a great companion for Ash with the way those two constantly bicker and fight and yet share a deep bond that even leads to Ash saving her life. I think they'd be awesome travel companions and I'd love to see this happen :D As for a male companion I'm not really sure, I've never liked or noticed that many male characters in the show since their personalities aren't often as prominent... I quite liked Flint's younger brother though and he was great for the duration of their treasure hunting expedition, so I'll go with him as my male choice. :D

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I think Georgia would actually work, believe it or not I find her to be more tolerable than Iris. Barry would have been cool, but he was too fast.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I would have liked Bianca to travel with Ash. Exspecly after he battled her Dad to let her keep traveling at the risk of having to go home himself. I would have liked him to travel with Richie a bit as well.

Years
I agree with Rainflower, Bianca and/or Lyra would have made a great traveling partner with Ash.

I just think they look like good traveling-with-Ash material. Also, I would have liked Cheren to be a good substitute for Cilan.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Paul, AJ and Gary.

All of them are excellent trainers. If Paul and Gary wasn't so self centered when they were his rivals and went on with him on Ash's journey, All of them would've learned alot more from training Pokemon and being a better person.

And as for AJ, he was an awesome Pokemon trainer who had a 100 to 0 win streak with only a Sandshrew. It's a shame they never brought him back after that one episode tho.

Here's a picture of AJ, if you forgot about him

Spoiler:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Definitely Bianca or Lyra. Bianca is one of the more-developed trainers, character-wise mind you, in the series, and Lyra could be used as a running gag for crushing on Ash, even when he's oblivious to it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
I would've liked to have seen Chopper and Tyra from the Bridge Bike Gang to travel with Ash.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
Out of the Gym Leaders, I think maybe Jasmine or Fantina could have worked good. Especially, since Fantina had a habit of leaving her gym, as did Jasmine.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
For me it would be people whom don't share complete similarities. Because I don't care to see a constant same thing done with two different trainers, coordinators or whatever they have. What I like about AG is they had a Trainer in Ash, a Breeder in Brock, a Coordinator in May, and an aspiring Trainer/Gym Leader in Max. These leaves you with 4 different characters and 4 completely different objectives at that time. For me it would have been Todd since he was reoccurring in Kanto and I thought he would eventually join. Having someone shoot photos would be a nice change of pace.

I would have loved to see Ash being forced to travel with a rival like Paul. Imagine how messed up Ash and Gary traveling together would be. Stephan who pops in and out of BW would be pretty neat. I think anyone powerful like Lance or Wallace wouldn't fit too well, being so strong already.
I think it would probably detract from their rivalry. As an audience we want to keep in touch with the rival, but in this instance we don't want to be smothered with the rivals presence. So if the rival showed up like every 10-15 episodes then good, but every episode as with TR seems a bit overkill. I think having a Champ accompany them in a mini arc is fine, but to have them as main cast absolutely not.

Meowth would have been interesting as he was during that stretch after the first Don Tournament. I personally enjoyed his presence as a Negotiator of sorts.

Only thing with Stephan is he is a battle bot, what I mean by that is from what I have seen he is just there for battles and not really to add farther to Ash development like say a rival and his cast.

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
I agree with everyone who said someone with an opposing personality of Ash. It would be so funny! Let's say it was Gary. They then walk up to Brock. Gary defeats him in a couple of seconds, but Ash takes three episodes. Then Gary wants to keep going, but can't because Ash wants to beat Brock. Then they start fighting. Then thy get into a pokemon battle over what to do next. Gary wins, and Ash has to skip Brock. This would happen at basically every Gym! It would be funny.
It's a match made in heaven!

Back