• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Royal Blue Ocean [Water Type Pokemon Club]

Drawing Contest Theme!

• Total voters

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Gyarados vs Milotic?

Definitely Gyarados here. I have never used a Milotic myself, since I've never had the patience to actually catch a Feebas, and the only times I've really battled against it was against in-game trainers that had it, which weren't that many. I'd say that Milotic would win for design, because as Ralaia said, Gyarados is ugly. Milotic did also pose as a bit of a challenge against Cynthia, but alas, if you don't have a Electric type Pokemon, Gyarados is also extremely hard to beat.

Gyarados was also at the top back in R/B/Y's prime days, and was up with the likes of Charizard and Mewtwo in popularity, and I felt that way too. It was a hell to train a Magikarp to get it, but once you finally had it, it was a monster on your team, and I remember it was quite a big challenge in the E4. But yeah, Gyarados is definitely the winner, since it's one I actually know, and it does appear to better in some categories.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Ack! Dont mention Cynathia or her Milotic....Her team in diamond and platinum were by far my hardest champion battles >_<. (excluding Ghetsis and his hydreigon. And excluding the b/w2 champion which I havnt fought yet)

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
Gyarados VS Milotic

They are both very good pokemon so that is a pretty tough desicion. But i am not completely sure who would win. Gyarados is strong and his scales are as hard as steel whereas Milotic is agile and fast and knows a lot bigger Variety of moves then Gyarados does. Gyarados is a lot stronger in attack but Milotic is a lot stronger in SP Attack. so i would say that Gyarados would win just because of how strong it is.

Years
I wish Milotic was stronger Gyarados is too ugly to be a good Poke

;-;

It comes down to personal preference, and what moves you like to use, and how much variety of moves, and how much speed you want.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guys I need your help!

So ok, I'm planning on doing a drawing contest soon!!!
*holds up applause sign*

So I will be putting a poll in the club soon, on what you would like the theme/pokemon for the drawing contest to be!

Make sure to vote!

Last edited:

Olli

Years
Yeah, agreed. The strength of Pokemon can't really be based on stats alone, considering some people have been able to take down Cynthia in B/W with Pokemon no higher than level 3 if I remember correctly, so moves can play the deciding role in any battle it seems. Although AI's aren't really likely to see through strategies, so if it was in friend/online matches, skill does decide a lot. Still looking forward to seeing how the Water type Pokemon of the fifth generation are in battle, as I'm only just starting on B2, but from the looks of it, it seems that the fifth generation did bring forth some good Pokemon :p

Oh no, drawing contests. My only weakness D: But seriously, not gonna participate, as I can't even draw stickmen properly :( I'd say an interesting theme would be legendaries, as it's also a bit of a wider category, which includes Pokemon of many different forms, whereas starters is more restricted to small and cute Pokemon.

Years
Oh no, drawing contests. My only weakness D: But seriously, not gonna participate, as I can't even draw stickmen properly :( I'd say an interesting theme would be legendaries, as it's also a bit of a wider category, which includes Pokemon of many different forms, whereas starters is more restricted to small and cute Pokemon.

Cmon' Olli YOU CAN DO ETTT IF YOU BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think starters is too restricted, 5 different Pokes to choose from, and they are all attractive, and cute Pokemon, that people will like to draw, and showcase here. I mean, I could limit to one pokemon =P

Olli

Years
Well, when I said too restricted, I meant in the sense of what you'd have to draw. They're all small and cute, compared to legendaries, where, admittedly, the majority are large and ferocious beasts, but where it kinda varies more, with some also being cute, like the Phione line, some being rather normal-ish, like Keldeo and such, and then the standard big and scary legendaries, like Kyogre and whatever else you can throw in. There's just a whole lot more to legendaries than there are to starters, which is why I think it'd be the best theme for it.

and no. never drawing.

CourageHound

Years
Ummm...I beleive myself to be a good artistto an extent so i'll participate. What we draw doesnt really matter to me. My only question is if it has to be like pencil on paper, or a computor generated drawing, cause I dun gots a photoshop and I suck at using DeviantArt's DaMuro. Bu...i think a good theme would be "The best of the xxxx Region". Showcasing the water types of a chosen region.

Last edited:
Years
Ummm...I beleive myself to be a good artistto an extent so i'll participate. What we draw doesnt really matter to me. My only question is if it has to be like pencil on paper, or a computer generated drawing, cause I dun gots a photoshop and I suck at using DeviantArt's DaMuro.

No it doesn't have to be computer generated or anything like that, I am shooting for only Paper, Pencil, Pens, and/or Colored Pencils but you can do digital art if you wish :3
I will give more info later when I put this in the contest section of my OP

Bu...i think a good theme would be "The best of the xxxx Region". Showcasing the water types of a chosen region.

Hmm that sounds nice, I wish I could edit the poll!

EDIT:If you want to vote for Best of xxxx Region just tell me and I'll write it down somewhere, K's? Olli editted my Poll (Thanks buddeh) so you can now vote for that, unless you've already voted, just tell me if you want to switch and I'll subtract one from whatever you voted for and add one to the other choice.

Thanks everyone for voting!

Last edited:

CourageHound

Years
Yay i contributed! But if we do the Best of [Insert Region], then we'd also have to think about the chosen region as well. I think..maybe Hoenn would be my region of choice?

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
How on earth did I overlook this club. Gah, better late than never I guess. >.<
Name: Cosmotone
2 Partner Pokemon: Prinplup and Empoleon xD
Why do you want to swim with us?: First of all, I've always chosen the water type starter in every single play through of every game I've ever played. Second, I've always loved Water types, partially because I love the water myself. xD
Answer Current topic: Milotic is da bomb! I always found this ugly beast who looks like he'll puke on you or something. And Milotic has a better moveset and such as well. :x

Last edited:

Olli

Years
I for one would rather see another region than Hoenn. It's something I've brought up quite a few times, but I don't feel like Hoenn brought forth the best designs out of the lot, and when it comes to Water Pokemon, I can't really think of any notable ones, except the ones relative to either the plot, Feebas and Milotic, or the Mudkip line, since they're all ones you're bound to encounter. I'd say, out them all, the Water types probably had the best designs, although again, I liked the ones from several other generations far better. That's just me though. And on that note, I'm gonna subtract my vote from the legendaries and move it over to the generation specifc ones, as I feel there's way more variety in that one than any of the others, and as can be seen from my previous posts, that's pretty much what I've based my choice around :p So even though my name is still on the legendaries, it's been moved to the generation specific one, as can be told from the number lol.

Ralaia

~Smooth as Ice~
Years
Yay a contest! I myself have already voted, so I am done with the voting. Welcome Cosmotone8!

I think starters would be best but it is more simpler to draw than things like legendaries as Olli already stated. Although if we did do legendaries it would be more complex and detailed to draw. I really don't know about the Best of blank region although it does sound interesting. Anyway here is how I kind of view it :

Legendaries : Intermediate/Hard (depending on your choice)
Starters: Easy/Intermediate (depending on your choice)
Best of blank Region : Varying

Also I have a question : Can we draw more than one pokemon, when the competition begins? :D

CourageHound

Years
I for one would rather see another region than Hoenn. It's something I've brought up quite a few times, but I don't feel like Hoenn brought forth the best designs out of the lot, and when it comes to Water Pokemon, I can't really think of any notable ones, except the ones relative to either the plot, Feebas and Milotic, or the Mudkip line, since they're all ones you're bound to encounter. I'd say, out them all, the Water types probably had the best designs, although again, I liked the ones from several other generations far better. That's just me though.

I see where your coming from. Buuut i chose Hoenn 'cause of many of the water types there are ones I really like; mudkip line, carvanha line, spheal line, and wailmer line. But if you dont wanna do Hoenn i'm all ears for something else. *looks over all the water types again*

Years
Name:
Halipoke (And Hali to friends :D)
2 Partner Pokemon:
Mimi the Slowpoke and Polly the Poliwag
Why do you want to swim with us?:
Are you kidding? I love swimming and I adore the beautiful and wonderful water-type Pokémon. I hope you won't let me drown, my dear swimmers ;)
Answer Current topic:
Milotic or Gyarados, eh? I think I'm getting political here and say that Milotic is the queen of the seas while Gyarados rules the seas as a king. Gyarados sure is more badass than Milotic BUT OH GOD IF MILOTIC IS POWERFUL. ....There goes my political answer, I'm answering Milotic.

CourageHound

Years
Well since were on the subject of the art contest, how do you guys view youselfs as artists/aspiring artists? I'm an aspiring artist. My freinds say i'm really good but, i know and seen alot of people who are way better :L . That being said i'm trying to work on point of view and horizon, for exacpmle a basculin jumping out the water at something(with the view being slanted to an angle so more of the water, basculin, and the background can be seen).

Also, how are we being judged? Sorry if i'm prying too much or anything. But is it like coolness, deatail, how we portrayed the pokemon, etc.?

Thanks! :)

Olli

Years
Well since were on the subject of the art contest, how do you guys view youselfs as artists/aspiring artists? I'm an aspiring artist. My freinds say i'm really good but, i know and seen alot of people who are way better :L . That being said i'm trying to work on point of view and horizon, for exacpmle a basculin jumping out the water at something(with the view being slanted to an angle so more of the water, basculin, and the background can be seen).

Also, how are we being judged? Sorry if i'm prying too much or anything. But is it like coolness, deatail, how we portrayed the pokemon, etc.?

Don't know if that topic is very relevant to the club, but heck, as long as the posts include something club/topic related, then such a side-topic is acceptable. But to answer your question, I'm horrible at anything that involves drawing, and the only kind of art I'd call myself at least a little good at is music. But when it's drawing, no, I'd just make eyes bleed, although I do love checking out art, no matter whether it's good or not. That said, it'd be great seeing some creations you guys had related to Water type Pokemon outside of the contest if you had any or if you were willing to draw something, but oh well, up to you.

As for how it's gonna be judged, these kind of contests usually just go around the quality of the drawings, although if Krazzki had any specific way he wanted to judge, then that'd be great ^^ At least we'd see some variety :p

Years
Name:
Halipoke (And Hali to friends :D)
2 Partner Pokemon:
Mimi the Slowpoke and Polly the Poliwag
Why do you want to swim with us?:
Are you kidding? I love swimming and I adore the beautiful and wonderful water-type Pokémon. I hope you won't let me drown, my dear swimmers ;)
Answer Current topic:
Milotic or Gyarados, eh? I think I'm getting political here and say that Milotic is the queen of the seas while Gyarados rules the seas as a king. Gyarados sure is more badass than Milotic BUT OH GOD IF MILOTIC IS POWERFUL. ....There goes my political answer, I'm answering Milotic.
Welcome Halipoke (can I be your friend? :3)

YAY MILOTIC WILL RULE DA WORLD!!!
How on earth did I overlook this club. Gah, better late than never I guess. >.<
Name: Cosmotone
2 Partner Pokemon: Prinplup and Empoleon xD
Why do you want to swim with us?: First of all, I've always chosen the water type starter in every single play through of every game I've ever played. Second, I've always loved Water types, partially because I love the water myself. xD
Answer Current topic: Milotic is da bomb! I always found this ugly beast who looks like he'll puke on you or something. And Milotic has a better moveset and such as well. :x

Yes Cosmotone you should be ashamed of yourself for looking over this beautiful clooob. Have fun!

Also I have a question : Can we draw more than one pokemon, when the competition begins? :D
Sure! Why not?

Ok Guys, I will be picking a winner, and they will recieve a special prize, hand wrapped by me(idk if it will be wrapped tho tbh ;\) and you will luv it ;3

Votes Will be counted and reviewed October 26, so get in your votes while you can!

CourageHound

Years
Don't know if that topic is very relevant to the club, but heck, as long as the posts include something club/topic related, then such a side-topic is acceptable. But to answer your question, I'm horrible at anything that involves drawing, and the only kind of art I'd call myself at least a little good at is music. But when it's drawing, no, I'd just make eyes bleed, although I do love checking out art, no matter whether it's good or not. That said, it'd be great seeing some creations you guys had related to Water type Pokemon outside of the contest if you had any or if you were willing to draw something, but oh well, up to you.

As for how it's gonna be judged, these kind of contests usually just go around the quality of the drawings, although if Krazzki had any specific way he wanted to judge, then that'd be great ^^ At least we'd see some variety :p

Thanks for the feedback Olli! Although i do realize i diiiiid get kinda off topic. But ya know Olli, anyone can be good artist if they had the right tools, dedication, a teacher, and an imagination to let the ideas flow. I was self taught since i'm not able to get an art teacher atm but as good as others say I am, i still practice.

130.gif
: Back on topic!

I looked at both Gyarados' and Milotic's stats again and they have the same BST, their abillities sort of rival eachother on different ends of the spectrum so i beleive this could go either way based on usage and mostly preference as its very much debatable comparison, however my position stays on the side of Gyarados

Years

I don't want to give too much away, but I guess it would help if you had some kind of rubric :3

You will be judged based on 3 things!
  • Creativity
  • Detail
  • Style

Imagine you're a Water type Gym Leader. What would your gym look like? Would there be a puzzle, other gym trainers? How many Pokemon would you have and who would they be?

Last edited:
Back